HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

DirecTV

Old
10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
IceTrAiN

vCash: 500
DirecTV

Now that I am calmed down from my rage a few days ago, maybe someone has some info about how the hell this works. I have both center ice(blackouts apply) and additional sports packages so that I can get as many flyers games as possible.

Now, I understand that it is a lucrative marketing strategy to black out games on center ice to force customers to pay extra for the sports packages(read above, I already have them), but what sense does it make to black out a game, stating to check alternate programming, when purchasing the channels that are carrying the game, isn't even an option through the carrier?

PS. Bobs for president.

< / rant>

IceTrAiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:19 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

comcast

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

What is your question, exactly?

Comcast screws you into getting their service if you want local games. Fox/DirectTV are trying to do the same on a broader level with Comcast and Dish Network right now. Cable companies are a bunch of robbers but you can mitigate their thievery by playing one against the other and educating yourself on your options.

Center Ice will black out local games no matter what, it doesn't matter what these cheats are doing to screw one another and their customers at any given time. Center Ice Broadband essentially does the same though oddly right now I cannot use it to watch the Kings or Ducks in my home but when I am at Staples Center in the press box I can see the Kings' broadcast. Weird. Center Ice Broadband is terrible anyway though, I only have it for a specific reason, would not recommend.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Flyerfan4life

dont get Gamecenter either..

total scam with what they promise in the ads vs what you expereince once you pay the money..

NEVER again will i pay for or recommend gamecenter.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 12:15 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

im assuming your near in the philadelphia region. because if your out of that region you would get every game on center ice. also comcast isnt the reason for the blackout, they are only to blame for being the regional sports netowrk that owns the rights. MSG owns 4 of them. this is how blackout terms apply in sports. luckily hockey isnt determined by ticket sales.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 03:04 PM
IceTrAiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
im assuming your near in the philadelphia region. because if your out of that region you would get every game on center ice. also comcast isnt the reason for the blackout, they are only to blame for being the regional sports netowrk that owns the rights. MSG owns 4 of them. this is how blackout terms apply in sports. luckily hockey isnt determined by ticket sales.
I'm in Scranton(2 1/2hrs north of Philly).

So is there any way to tell when a game is going to be blacked out or not? I've watched home games on center ice before, so I don't think everyone is blacked out. Because of my location, I'm pretty much "local" any time its in philly, ny, or pittsburgh. Although, most of the times I can get the "local" channel on directv via the additional sports package.

I just don't see who is gaining from blacking it out. I guess I'm asking what the purpose of it is..

Old
10-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Slowbro

wait.... csn is not officially on directv?

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 05:27 PM
IceTrAiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
wait.... csn is not officially on directv?
Not that I'm aware of..

Old
10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTrAiN View Post
Not that I'm aware of..
And that's the purpose. Their attitude is "buy our cable if you want our programs."

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Wasn't there something over the Summer about CSN Philly being available on a broader level? We have DirecTV and if switching to Comcast means more Flyers' feeds, then we will switch.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:44 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
Wasn't there something over the Summer about CSN Philly being available on a broader level? We have DirecTV and if switching to Comcast means more Flyers' feeds, then we will switch.
I think they've been ordered to work out a deal. You can be sure Comcast is going to drag their feet on the issue.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:18 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I think they've been ordered to work out a deal. You can be sure Comcast is going to drag their feet on the issue.
Maybe not ... they are trying to get the NBC/Comcast merger approved, so I suspect they'll not drag their feet.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote