HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter & Flyers making progress on extension

Old
10-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Decklann

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
lol. Carter trade rumour topic right below this one.

Anyways, nothing new here. Homer has said many, many times that he's not trading Carter.

I have no doubt that both Carter and Giroux will be re-signed. They're both very good RFAs and RFAs usually don't have much leverage. I'm more concerned about how much Homer will overpay.
When did they say Giroux may be traded? I sure hope hes not because he is possibly the best offense player next to Briere on the Flyers.

Decklann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:51 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Net +/- (i.e. including PP points to equalize a bit)

Briere
31-41-72 (-22) +15
29 GP, we'll ignore
26-27-53 (-2) +15

Carter
29-24-53 (+6) +24
46-38-84 (+23) +47
33-28-61 (+2) +24

In the best season of his career, Briere scored 95 points and his numbers would be (+17) +47.

In short... Briere can score more, it don't mean he'll be better than Carter as far as what the scores look like on the scoreboard at the end of the game. Ya know, the most important thing for the team.
Either ignore the guy or make fun of him, but don't use rational argument at this point.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decklann View Post
When did they say Giroux may be traded? I sure hope hes not because he is possibly the best offense player next to Briere on the Flyers.
...lets see him put up 80 pts before we vault him over some of the guys that have... I mean, seriously, it isn't like Richards wasn't coming off back-to-back PPG seasons prior to last year... and Carter popped more goals last year alone than Giroux has in his career to this point (33 to 29).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decklann View Post
Quote:
Progress being made but nothing imminent in contract talks with the #Flyers' Jeff Carter, CSN says. Giroux may be more important signing.
From Sam Car.

They seem to be looking at Giroux as much if not more then Carter. Good to hear.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
...lets see him put up 80 pts before we vault him over some of the guys that have... I mean, seriously, it isn't like Richards wasn't coming off back-to-back PPG seasons prior to last year... and Carter popped more goals last year alone than Giroux has in his career to this point (33 to 29).
If Giroux scores 80 points this year, he would be 1 year ahead of Carter in terms of Carter scoring 80 points. Thats not even including how Carter played 225 regular season games before he hit the 80+ points year. Meanwhile, Giroux has played 124 regular season games. Would be pretty impressive.

Old
10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
FlyHigh

The chances that Roo scores 80 points this year are very, very minimal though.

Hope we can just sign them both and forget Zherdev/Leighton and one of Coburn/Carle.

Old
10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Look, i know carter is a gifted scorer and probably our best sniper. But if we lose leino, and giroux on the account of extending carter I'm going to be so upset.

If we do sign carter, and we still have hopes of signing leino and giroux then we are going to have to part ways with someone and that someone could be KIMMO. He is one of our more trade able assets and teams would love to have a guy like that on their team. Huge loss , but losing giroux or leino would be bigger in my opinion.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:16 PM
FlyHigh

I like Ville a lot, but let's get a full season of this before we really start talking about who we sacrifice for him.

Old
10-28-2010, 04:32 PM
jb**

Maroon, Pither, Testicles, and Holstrum are all waiting in the wings to replace one of the 4 guys being mentioned. Relax everyone.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Maroon, Pither, Testicles, and Holstrum are all waiting in the wings to replace one of the 4 guys being mentioned. Relax everyone.
You forgot Rinaldo, Klotz and Clackson...

Old
10-28-2010, 04:38 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You forgot Rinaldo, Klotz and Clackson...
There a given no need to mention them. Rinaldo has played so good he is forcing Shooter to trade Carcillo.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If Giroux scores 80 points this year, he would be 1 year ahead of Carter in terms of Carter scoring 80 points. Thats not even including how Carter played 225 regular season games before he hit the 80+ points year. Meanwhile, Giroux has played 124 regular season games. Would be pretty impressive.
Not necessarily... small develops faster than big normally. Same reason patience with JVR is in order. Lot easier for Giroux to play his game at the NHL than it is for someone like JVR to learn to play his game.

Old
10-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The chances that Roo scores 80 points this year are very, very minimal though.

Hope we can just sign them both and forget Zherdev/Leighton and one of Coburn/Carle.
Yes but he can score 70 and that already can be around 5M a year. Not to mention his stats in playoffs.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Okay that's fair.

We all know that offense wins championships.
Worked for Chicago.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Net +/- (i.e. including PP points to equalize a bit)

Briere
31-41-72 (-22) +15
29 GP, we'll ignore
26-27-53 (-2) +15

Carter
29-24-53 (+6) +24
46-38-84 (+23) +47
33-28-61 (+2) +24

In the best season of his career, Briere scored 95 points and his numbers would be (+17) +47.

In short... Briere can score more, it don't mean he'll be better than Carter as far as what the scores look like on the scoreboard at the end of the game. Ya know, the most important thing for the team.
The most important thing for the team is that the Leino-Briere-Hartnell line has developed chemistry and is carrying this team in the offensive zone. This is best for the team, he plays a team game. He also shows up when it counts, clutch.

As far as the stats, you will see Carters numbers stick at the 60 mark, while I think Briere could flirt with 70pts.

Old
10-29-2010, 08:55 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The most important thing for the team is that the Leino-Briere-Hartnell line has developed chemistry and is carrying this team in the offensive zone. This is best for the team, he plays a team game. He also shows up when it counts, clutch.

As far as the stats, you will see Carters numbers stick at the 60 mark, while I think Briere could flirt with 70pts.
Briere also flirts with 50 points.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Either ignore the guy or make fun of him, but don't use rational argument at this point.
Yes, you are right, mock me for giving props to a guy who carried this team last season in the playoffs and currently is leading the team in points and playing on a line that is carrying this team. Yes, just mock me while you put on your Carter pom-poms and tell me how irreplaceable he is.

Old
10-29-2010, 09:22 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Maybe Carter signs offersheet? Holmgren gets two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick. Then he trades 'em all.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post

The most important thing for the team is three guys on a roster of 20, and not the scoreboard that determines who wins and loses?

I thought you were all about "team", man?

Old
10-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Maybe Carter signs offersheet? Holmgren gets two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick. Then he trades 'em all.
I doubt it.

Carter has been a big time team guy. He could have flirted with an offer sheet the last time around, but made the choice to sign prior to July 1st and give the team cost certainty going into free agency... while Randy Jones publicly spoke about maximizing his contracts and getting his (still love this given what happened).

Carter is also very close with some of the guys on this team by all accounts, and seems to be a fan of living in the area. As long as he gets a fair offer, I bet he signs rather easily.

Old
10-29-2010, 10:04 AM
lumm0x

Speaking of replaceable, for a guy who has 150 regular season pts in the last 3 years for us with a combined salary of $25 million over that term, I am sure we could find someone willing to consume that amount of cap for that production.

Danny had an amazing playoffs last year for us. He was hands down the best player over that 20ish game stretch. Aside from that he has not been a consitently special contributor in his tenure in Philly and he has not been particularly healthy. He's not going to get any younger or better, his skills are going to decline and he's going to seem less and less worth his cap hit. As stated many times over, he has a very one dimensional game. He is probably our worst defensive forward.

I really like the guy though and will admit when he was a FA he was one that I hoped we would get. The contract was a killer but I have to admit I supported his acquisition. I thought he brings a passion to the game and an energy level in the offensive zone that would rub off on his teammates. He does bring that intangible.

I will still be surprised if he bests 60 pts this season.

lumm0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Jester

If Briere gets rolling on the PP, like he has in the past, he'll cross 60 pts pretty easily I think. I do not, however, expect to see him posing anything close to 90+ (or the 100+ pt pace he was on in the playoffs).

Old
10-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumm0x View Post
Speaking of replaceable, for a guy who has 150 regular season pts in the last 3 years for us with a combined salary of $25 million over that term, I am sure we could find someone willing to consume that amount of cap for that production.

Danny had an amazing playoffs last year for us. He was hands down the best player over that 20ish game stretch. Aside from that he has not been a consitently special contributor in his tenure in Philly and he has not been particularly healthy. He's not going to get any younger or better, his skills are going to decline and he's going to seem less and less worth his cap hit. As stated many times over, he has a very one dimensional game. He is probably our worst defensive forward.

I really like the guy though and will admit when he was a FA he was one that I hoped we would get. The contract was a killer but I have to admit I supported his acquisition. I thought he brings a passion to the game and an energy level in the offensive zone that would rub off on his teammates. He does bring that intangible.

I will still be surprised if he bests 60 pts this season.
Really? I mean, REALLY? The only line that has been able to have any chemistry and consistency and this guy wants to take out the center and the player who has been busting his butt every shift.

Old
10-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Larry44

Quote:
I doubt it.

Carter has been a big time team guy. He could have flirted with an offer sheet the last time around, but made the choice to sign prior to July 1st and give the team cost certainty going into free agency... while Randy Jones publicly spoke about maximizing his contracts and getting his (still love this given what happened).

Carter is also very close with some of the guys on this team by all accounts, and seems to be a fan of living in the area. As long as he gets a fair offer, I bet he signs rather easily.
Not only did he sign early and avoid offer sheets, he agreed to take a 3 year deal that expires and leaves him RFA at the end. He could have asked for 4 and been UFA after next season.

I'm getting really sick of the mindless Carter critics. Nobody talks about the beautiful pass he made through a defender's feet and right onto Giroux's stick to spring him on the Powe goal, or the deft touch/deflection pass to Briere on his goal....

He goes to the net, he gets tips and sets screens, he's been hitting more and creating turnovers. Simply put he's probably our best all around forward, but, yeah, let's trade him right away. The mind boggles.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:35 AM
MsWoof

I've been really happy with Briere's play and hope he can maintain the pace he's on. He's never going to improve defensively but he's such a threat to score. I know he lost weight because he said it helped him in the playoffs so I hope he can maintain that weight and excel with it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote