HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ian Laperriere (Feb. 10 update: still having problems with indoor lighting)

Old
10-28-2010, 05:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1079
Update from today's practice session:

Quote:
“Right now, my hope is to get back to 100 percent and I’m not even close,” he said. “The big thing is to wake up every morning and not feel a headache. You can’t imagine what that means.”
http://www.csnphilly.com/10/28/10/Fl...063&feedID=695

Quote:
When Ian Laperriere announced a day before the Flyers opened their season in Pittsburgh that he might be forced into retirement because of post-concussion syndrome, you knew he’d fight it.

The Flyers scrappy forward is not giving up hope to play again and it now appears he may have reason to be optimistic.

Laperriere said on Thursday that he is encouraged by the fact he has gone two-and-a-half weeks without a single headache. He still has some vision problems, however, caused by artificial light.

“It’s been good and I feel a lot of my headaches might have had to do with the stress of telling the club what was happening,” Laperriere told CSNPhilly.com. “I’m still not 100 percent, but at least I no longer have headaches.”

Laperriere continues to work out daily at Skate Zone in Voorhees, N.J., lifting weights and various cardio routines.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:59 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

I was just about to post a thread about this, nonetheless this is still wonderful news. It would be incredible if he makes a return this season.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

Maybe Feb or March?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:03 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
I was just about to post a thread about this, nonetheless this is still wonderful news. It would be incredible if he makes a return this season.
Agreed. I just want him to take his time and play it safe.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
This.

I'd love a Lappy dramatic return just in time to push for the playoffs.

He didn't look out of place or as if there was anything wrong in postseason. He was skating hard, blocking shots, and killing penalties.

Getting a healthy Lappy back would be HUGE. Bigger than almost any deadline move we could make, and I mean every word of that.

His life and his family need to come first though.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Maybe Feb or March?
It's a step towards progress but I think it's too early to determine a return date.

Items like this can't be dismissed so easily:

Quote:
Laperriere said his eyes don’t bother him in natural light, but he is still experiencing some vision problems with indoor lighting, such as light over the rink.

Old
10-28-2010, 06:29 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I love lappy. such great news.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This.

I'd love a Lappy dramatic return just in time to push for the playoffs.

He didn't look out of place or as if there was anything wrong in postseason. He was skating hard, blocking shots, and killing penalties.

Getting a healthy Lappy back would be HUGE. Bigger than almost any deadline move we could make, and I mean every word of that.

His life and his family need to come first though.
I could have posted this verbatim. Exactly how I feel.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:55 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Yep. It would be fantastic if he can live a normal life free of symptoms. If by some remote chance, he's able to return to play, there won't be a dry eye in the house.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:21 AM
StandingCow

Glad too hear it, how great would it be to see him back on the ice?

Just hope he knows better than to rush back.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:57 AM
jb**

This is just pr plot to insure they can put him on ltir for the duration of his contract. They need to act like he may get better. Been there done that with Rathje. How many times early did we hear he will get better and they found the issue? They are just establishing a trial of he is trying to play.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:05 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
This is just pr plot to insure they can put him on ltir for the duration of his contract. They need to act like he may get better. Been there done that with Rathje. How many times early did we hear he will get better and they found the issue? They are just establishing a trial of he is trying to play.
Do you seriously need to be this cynical?

Hope is not a bad thing.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

NWO is right for the first time. Lappy will never ever play hockey again. You think a man who is going fighting every morning to lead a normal life, is going to come back onto the ice to risk going back to square one?

It's horrible, and a damn travesty, but the simple fact remains that lappy will never be on the ice again, and i hope that the flyers don't ever allow him. We have seen enough of primeau's, forsbergs, lindros, gagne ect. The list goes on and on.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:13 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I never heard once that Rathje was going to get better.

And brain injury is a lot worse than worn out knees.

As for Lappy, glad artificial light is the only thing. Probably just blurriness. But considering all he's been through, going through 2 1/2 weeks without a headache is a big thing.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:19 AM
jb**

Quote:

As for Lappy, glad artificial light is the only thing. Probably just blurriness. But considering all he's been through, going through 2 1/2 weeks without a headache is a big thing.
when rathje had the ass surgery or something to that effect, the sciatic nerve when they "found" the problem. The first year or so they "hoped" he woudl return. The shame of it is he was a good dman and would have helped this team a lot.

Old
10-29-2010, 08:20 AM
jb**

Quote:

Hope is not a bad thing.
just putting out another scenario

Old
10-29-2010, 08:23 AM
jb**

Quote:

Hope is not a bad thing.

Old
10-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Kaktus*

If I am Laperriere I would not risk it but as a hockey fan I would love to see him blocking shots and throwing hits in playoffs.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:48 AM
IrishSniper87

I like Lappy, I think he is a genuine hard worker and a great guy, but for his own sake, I hope he hangs up the skates. He has played this game for many, many years, has made great money doing so, but will forever have physical problems because of his career.

Honestly, I hope he doesnt even try to come back. One more hit or slapshot to the face, and he could die, or face permanent brain damage. he could go blind in one eye (or both), he could suffer a stroke, or he could suffer even more concussions. This man has a wife and kids, and while I admire him for caring about the team and playing the game, his contribution and reputation will never be tarnished for admitting his body has taken enough and that now is the time to stop before he potentially ruins his body for the rest of his life.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 10:14 AM
dizzler

Ian Laperriére

What's up with him now? Is his career over? If so, will he be working with the flyers in the future in some role?

Couldn't find any topic/info about him, sry.

dizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 10:20 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ There's an article from a couple of days ago in post #126...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=826687&page=6

(threads merged)

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-31-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old
10-31-2010, 10:21 AM
dizzler

How the hell didn't i find it.

Oh well. Thanks and sorry.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-31-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Threads merged.
dizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Jester

Quote:

Brain injury is certainly more dangerous, but Rathje's problem was a nerve issue in his back/ass/legs.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I spoke with Laperriere last night, I have the broader media session recorded and can post it if people are interested. He was in town for Mattias Norstrom night but only spent a couple minutes talking about Norstrom and the rest of the time talking about his condition and future.

The short of it he said he is working out to maintain his weight and condition but absolutely not skating or playing hockey. In fact he said his quick walk out onto the Staples Center ice was the first time he'd been on the ice in months. He said the bright lights and loud sounds bothered him a bit during the ceremony.

He did say he is feeling a little better every day and taking the time to play with his kids and just focus on life outside of hockey. While he misses the camaraderie and lifestyle the NHL offers he said he really doesn't pine over not playing because he knows he simply cannot at this point.

As far as his future he said he was fortunate not to get hit after his return last year during the playoffs and he knows that if he does come back it's not matter of if he gets hit, it's when, and that is scary given his condition.

At this point he said he is satisfied with the time he has put in and is just taking his recovery day by day, not focusing on getting back on the ice as much as just feeling better.

He was in good spirits, he was joking around about Norstrom and a few of the reporters who were still around from when he played in Los Angeles.

I spoke with him privately for a little while afterward, no audio there but basically just talked a little about last season and wished him the best in his recovery.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

The latest on Leighton and Walker:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...e_honored.html

Quote:
RALEIGH, N.C. _ Goalie Michael Leighton and defenseman Matt Walker appear to be recovering ahead of schedule.

Both returned to the Flyers' practice here on Wednesday for the first time since their respective surgeries.

Leighton, who had been practicing on his own, had back surgery Oct. 11 to repair a herniated disk. He was expected to miss six to eight weeks. Leighton would not give a timetable for when he can return to action, but called the workout "a step in the right direction" and said his back was "feeling good."

"It's just a matter of getting stronger and getting my game back," he said.

He will visit a doctor late next week "and we'll see what he has to say and go from there."

Walker had right hip surery on Oct. 20 and was projected to miss 10-12 weeks. If he continues his rapid recovery, he could be back a bit sooner.
http://www.csnphilly.com/11/10/10/Fl...932&feedID=695

Quote:
Walker and Leighton practice

Both were with the team together for the first time, working at the opposite end of the ice.

Michael Leighton has been practicing on his own for less than a week. This was Matt Walker’s debut since his Oct. 20 hip surgery.

“It was better than I thought for the first time,” said Walker, who had a 10-12 week projected rehab which has not changed. “I felt better than I looked. Considering what they had to do, I’m probably on par for [10 weeks].”

He said he hopes to get back sooner.

Leighton said it felt “good” to take some shots.

“The back is feeling good,” said Leighton, who had back surgery to repair a herniated disk on Oct. 11.

He said he had “no clue” when he’ll be back with the team. He still has some back soreness, but that is expected as part of his rehab.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-10-2010 at 07:14 PM.