HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers not talking ...

Old
10-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 500
Panthers not talking ...

No contract talks yet with McCabe or Vokoun. Personally I'd like to see both resigned to shorter term deals (2 years or so)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...as-not-talking

Quote:
Panthers not talking contracts with McCabe, Vokoun
The Florida Panthers have not approached their two most notable UFAs-to-be about a new contract: veteran blueliner Bryan McCabe and star goalie Tomas Vokoun.

"We'll just see how things go," Panthers GM Dale Tallon said Tuesday, leaving things at that.

Because Tallon is looking to rebuild this team and get younger, it's going to be interesting to see what the Panthers' GM ultimately decides to do with these veteran players.

"Dale just came in, and he's building a young team," Vokoun said Tuesday. "I'm sure he's evaluating people every night. There's no reason to even go there [contract talks] right now. I'm signed for this season, and we'll see how it goes after that. You never know."

Vokoun, 34, has a $5.7 million cap hit this season. He has a no-trade clause as well, which will be key if the Panthers are outside the playoff bubble come the Feb. 28 trade deadline. It'll be up to Vokoun to decide his future.

"You know what? My future is my next game," Vokoun said. "That's how I approach it. I've learned that it doesn't happen to think about what might happen in June or July when you're still in October. I'm trying to play the best I can, and we'll see what happens."

Although I have a feeling Vokoun won't be back with the Panthers next season, McCabe may not be as clear-cut. He's the captain of this team, and as the Panthers get younger, they'll still need a leader. For him to stay, he'll need to take less than the $5.75 million cap hit he carries this season.

"We haven't spoken about it at all," McCabe told ESPN.com on Tuesday, referring to contract talks. "I'm not the type of guy to worry about that. I'm sure it'll take care of itself as long as the team does well. I love Florida, and I'd love to stay."

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 11:33 PM
asleepinthechapel

If we aren't going to keep Vokoun there is no reason we should retain McCabe. At least unless he is willing to accept a lot less money. Around 1-2.5 mil imo.

asleepinthechapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:04 AM
flapanthersfan

lol @ mccabe re-signing for 1-2.5 mil. he's basically put up 40+ points in both his years here and is tied for the team lead in scoring right now.

assuming he continues to play well, there's no way he re-signs for less than $3.5-4 mil. $5.75 is obviously way too much though.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 07:12 AM
SufferingCatFan

Both will go to contenders at the TDL, when there will be a high demand for a top 5 goalie rental and an offensive D-man. The Panthers have a ton of young D-men and goalies waiting in the wings.

Also expect Stillman to be traded for sure at the TDL.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Gudbranson44

would be nice if we could agree with mccabe to trade him at deadline and then he signs with us in july.. i wouldnt have anything against that lol

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 08:33 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
would be nice if we could agree with mccabe to trade him at deadline and then he signs with us in july.. i wouldnt have anything against that lol
He said he would like to sign here and I don't think he would take it personally if traded him to a playoff team at the deadline. It wouldn't be crazy if he did sign here in the offseason after we trade him.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:42 PM
asleepinthechapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
lol @ mccabe re-signing for 1-2.5 mil. he's basically put up 40+ points in both his years here and is tied for the team lead in scoring right now.

assuming he continues to play well, there's no way he re-signs for less than $3.5-4 mil. $5.75 is obviously way too much though.
lol @ you thinking i said he would.
we shouldn't be spending 4 mil on an aging defender whose production will only go down.

asleepinthechapel is offline   Reply With Quote