HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"I've Got the Blues (Mac & Cheese Ed.)" - 10/28/10, Nashville vs. St. Louis

Old
10-28-2010, 09:36 PM
PeterAngelo

vCash: 500
Well to brighten up a crappy day, Detroit is last in the central. That's something i guess.

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:45 PM
roseyc

I think if Tootoo wouldn't have left his feet then it wouldn't have been that bad. The call for charging if you leave your feet. But the hit to the head didn't happen it was shoulder to shoulder. It looked worse when it first happened until you see the replay and the ref don't have that advantage. Offensively tonight absolutely no chemistry. Tootoo shouldn't be on the Legwand line. He messes with their chemistry and with they have no chance to score. The Sully line has quieted after the early start. Erat hasn't showed up this year for some reason. We are starting to miss the injured players because with no Goc and Suter and we don't even know what we have in Lombardi yet. The Blues play the same style that the Preds play and tonight they played it better. Which means no offensive just dump and chase. Both depends on breakdowns from the other team and we made defensive breakdowns. But the offense is the reason for this loss. Halak stopped any fires that we started.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:45 PM
predteamfan

Wow ... I sure see the Tootoo hit WAY differently that the Blues homer announcers. At one point they said that Colaiacovo wasn't even playing the puck. They also said that Tootoo left his feet and that there was "no question" that it was a shoulder hit to the head. I'm really not sure what replays they were watching. Tootoo's hit came instantaneously after Colaiacovo made contact and hit the puck into the corner ... Toots never left his feet ... and the hit was clearly shoulder to shoulder. What am I missing here that made a shoulder-to-shoulder, feet on the ice hit on somebody playing the puck illegal? Just because Colaiacovo wasn't looking? Please.

And in response to roseyc, I don't see him leaving his feet until after the hit ... I see his left foot coming up slightly due the collision ... but after the collision ... and I see his right foot still on the ice. Am I being the homer looking for this ... cause I have rewatched it like 30 times.

predteamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:48 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by predteamfan View Post
Wow ... I sure see the Tootoo hit WAY differently that the Blues homer announcers. At one point they said that Colaiacovo wasn't even playing the puck. They also said that Tootoo left his feet and that there was "no question" that it was a shoulder hit to the head. I'm really not sure what replays they were watching. Tootoo's hit came instantaneously after Colaiacovo made contact and hit the puck into the corner ... Toots never left his feet ... and the hit was clearly shoulder to shoulder. What am I missing here that made a shoulder-to-shoulder, feet on the ice hit on somebody playing the puck illegal? Just because Colaiacovo wasn't looking? Please.

And in response to roseyc, I don't see him leaving his feet until after the hit ... I see his left foot coming up slightly due the collision ... but after the collision ... and I see his right foot still on the ice. Am I being the homer looking for this ... cause I have rewatched it like 30 times.
The Blues announcers aren't known for their objectivity (or their quality either, for that matter). I wouldn't let it get to you too much.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:49 PM
predteamfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
The Blues announcers aren't known for their objectivity (or their quality either, for that matter). I wouldn't let it get to you too much.
Less worried about the Blues announcers ... more upset over the major penalty call.

predteamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

As an aside, how often do you see a division holding onto the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th seeds in the conference at once?

This division is going to be insanely tough this year. It might come down to whichever teams can stay the healthiest when it's all said and done.

Old
10-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Electricflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I thought it was funny when they said the blues player elbowed Rinne in the head because he did not know were the pucks was, Like that made it alright.

Electricflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:53 PM
glenngineer

I understand why the refs called a charge but a major? Come on. How does Colaivocco or whatever his name is not know someone is coming from the other side? That's the part that always amazes me. Whistles are blowing, he's coming around one side of the ice with a guy on his tail and he doesn't think Tootoo might not be coming the other way?

I will say this, regardless of whether or not the hit was good or bad, they need to get rid of the instigator rule and let the players police the game again. Too much goes on without any sort of repercussions. If Tootoo or other guys like him knew there would a price to pay for hits like that, I almost guarantee you a lot of the head hunting would stop. If the league wants a fast paced and action packed game, this will continue to happen. If they allow guys like Belak to do their jobs and allow teams to dress them somehow, then this stuff would stop. Once again, not gonna debate if the hit was good or bad but St. Louis needs to be able to go after Tootoo and in the same way, we needed to be able to go after Backstrom for the hit on Goc.

What annoys me to no end was the Perron hit on Rinne. The announcers said it was incidental contact but it wasn't. Rinne comes out ticked off and yet no one goes after Perron then or on his next shift. At that point the game was over, you don't let guys elbow your goalies head, ever.

I am a little surprised at what's happened to the PP. Early on we were passing and moving around and now it looks as if we're standing around again and moving the puck slowly. It's like they forgot what to do. I'm also surprised that Trotz hasn't tried messing with the line combos a little bit. Wilson being flanked by Erat and Dumont is obviously not working and I'm not sure Hornqvist is the best fit with Sully and O'Reilly. I think Hornqvist and Wilson need to be together in some form or another. Maybe Erat on their wing and move Dumont with Sully and O'Reilly. Who knows at this point.

We were going to lose one eventually. Good streak until tonight. Good thing is we have one night to think about tonight's game and then we're right back on the ice. I still like the team, just need some minor tweaks.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:54 PM
roseyc

Quote:

I did too and I didn't see the first two times and then I noticed it and he did leave his feet and that was the call for charging. You can't leave your feet and he did make a run at the player and the call should have been for two minutes. The major was the wrong call but the way the ref saw it that it was in that area of the head which is cause for the alarm and Tootoo should know better it wasn't the brightest play even though he was trying to spark the team. He shouldn't be on that line doing that. Trotz lines are always confusing

Old
10-28-2010, 09:56 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Less worried about the Blues announcers ... more upset over the major penalty call.
It was definitely the final nail in the coffin, but I've seen a bunch of blown calls that have directly affected the outcome of a game. The Preds were already down 2-0 with less than 7 minutes left and they weren't exactly generating a lot of scoring chances at the time.

It sucks (and this from a guy that definitely agrees with you about the hit), but for the most part the Preds had already dug themselves into a hole that it was highly improbable they were getting out of.

Just my opinion, of course. I don't blame you if you feel differently. I probably would too in your shoes.

Old
10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
remember that one time when Erat did something in a game?
Really? No, I can't recall.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:59 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricflow View Post
I thought it was funny when they said the blues player elbowed Rinne in the head because he did not know were the pucks was, Like that made it alright.
Yeah, that didn't make any sense to me either. I missed the elbow (celebrating the goal at the time), but I saw that Rinne was pretty pissed. I can't really blame him. He was standing on his head all night...then give up the second goal in a close game like that, and get an elbow for the trouble? I'd be pretty darn pissed too.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:05 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We were going to lose one eventually.
Yeah, but this was our fourth loss.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:05 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
remember that one time when Erat did something in a game? that was cool.
Remember that one time when Erat went through this same sort of early-season slump and had 45 points in his last 57 games?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:06 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I understand why the refs called a charge but a major? Come on. How does Colaivocco or whatever his name is not know someone is coming from the other side? That's the part that always amazes me. Whistles are blowing, he's coming around one side of the ice with a guy on his tail and he doesn't think Tootoo might not be coming the other way?

I will say this, regardless of whether or not the hit was good or bad, they need to get rid of the instigator rule and let the players police the game again. Too much goes on without any sort of repercussions. If Tootoo or other guys like him knew there would a price to pay for hits like that, I almost guarantee you a lot of the head hunting would stop. If the league wants a fast paced and action packed game, this will continue to happen. If they allow guys like Belak to do their jobs and allow teams to dress them somehow, then this stuff would stop. Once again, not gonna debate if the hit was good or bad but St. Louis needs to be able to go after Tootoo and in the same way, we needed to be able to go after Backstrom for the hit on Goc.

What annoys me to no end was the Perron hit on Rinne. The announcers said it was incidental contact but it wasn't. Rinne comes out ticked off and yet no one goes after Perron then or on his next shift. At that point the game was over, you don't let guys elbow your goalies head, ever.

I am a little surprised at what's happened to the PP. Early on we were passing and moving around and now it looks as if we're standing around again and moving the puck slowly. It's like they forgot what to do. I'm also surprised that Trotz hasn't tried messing with the line combos a little bit. Wilson being flanked by Erat and Dumont is obviously not working and I'm not sure Hornqvist is the best fit with Sully and O'Reilly. I think Hornqvist and Wilson need to be together in some form or another. Maybe Erat on their wing and move Dumont with Sully and O'Reilly. Who knows at this point.

We were going to lose one eventually. Good streak until tonight. Good thing is we have one night to think about tonight's game and then we're right back on the ice. I still like the team, just need some minor tweaks.
I agree with your assessment on the instigator rule. That's the reason for all the stick work that we have now because the little guys don't pay the price for all the cheap shots and that was stick work is. The enforcer game was a good game and Bettman is so afraid of his shadow and is trying to run the fighting out the game and it's not working. Just like football is doing the same thing and it just ruins the game.

I also agree about the lines combos. We were winning but you could tell that the offense had it's problems. No the Wilson line with Dumont and Erat is not working because Erat is playing like he's lost and Dumont doesn't fit on this line. Dumont needs to go to Leggy-Ward line and send Tootoo back to energy line. Hornqvist and Wilson would be a nice try to see if something can develop and scratch Erat if just for one game to show him that his game is weak now. Why doesn't Trotz play Sk more? It's time shuffle the deck

Old
10-28-2010, 10:07 PM
OpenWheel

I couldn't blame the team for not knowing he took an elbow to the head. It looked as if he was mad at the goal to me. He didn't hold his head or act hurt, just mad. It was only on repaly I saw the elbow. The team may not even have known about it in time to go kick someone's arse.

I agree about Dumont with Leggy in roseyc's post. Those two have always seemed to work decent together. And I've wanted Wilson with Hornqvist since before the season. Their styles seem made for each other.

Oh, and the powerplay still sucks. Wilson gets a goal last game on the powerplay where made much of the play by himself with a tough battle for conrtol of the puck on the boards and then a quick try to Dumont which he folows in. Goal. So the reward is the guys who don't get goals and who don't battle hard on the boards get to play on the powerplay this time. I guess instead Erat got rewarded for his pass on that goal, which some said was just a failure to shoot. And we used to have movement. One time tonight Sully was even with the net with the puck, looking for someone to feed and Erat was waiting 15 feet further out toward the boards, but wouldn't move, as if his feet were in cement. He just stood there. Sullivan finally went out top with the feed, but Sully had nowhere to skate to because Erat was frozen in space and time.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-28-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old
10-28-2010, 10:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The powerplay is failing partially because we can't get it into the zone, then, we're not getting the puck to Weber when he's open or holding the puck in the zone after the initial shot. All the things Suter does for us...

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:22 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Remember that one time when Erat went through this same sort of early-season slump and had 45 points in his last 57 games?
Yeah, how many games was it before Trotz finally decided the line he had Erat on didn't click? Seemed a long time. About 15 games with almost nothing from either Erat or Legwand wasn't it? And 45 in 57 is a 63 point season in 80 games. Seems almost what a 5+ million forward should do. But for Erat and the Preds it's an amazing hot streak, and not even for a full season but just 3/4 of it.

Erat did have one very solid shot in the third. Could have gone in. I was amazed.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-28-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old
10-28-2010, 10:24 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
The powerplay is failing partially because we can't get it into the zone,
No, no, that was last year's problem. But Trotz took charge and fixed it...

Old
10-28-2010, 10:29 PM
AEM6729

Brought 2 people to their first game ever tonight. That's the worst!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:41 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Oshie74 View Post
Excuse my skepticism, but isn't Jordin Tootoo known for being an extremely dirty player and a cheater?
Doesn't mean ever hit he makes is cheap.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:53 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
the call was overblown, Tootoo was aiming shoulder to shoulder.

remember that one time when Erat did something in a game? that was cool.
Did something good?

I can remember several bad things (bad penalties, turnovers, etc.).

I assume you mean something good. I can't remember the last time. Of course, I do have CRS disease according to my wife.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:45 PM
74Oshie74

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Doesn't mean ever hit he makes is cheap.
That's absolutely true, but he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore. If your name is Jordin Tootoo or Todd Bertuzzi or Chris Pronger or etc, you're going to lose those calls and for mostly good reason.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 10-29-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: PM sent
74Oshie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:07 AM
WartracePred

Just got home from the game... couple of comments.

First, Tootoo is not going to have a questionable call go his way. We were down 2 goals with 7 minutes left in the game. Tootoo was doing what he does best. At that point in the game, he is absolutely not going to have a close call go his way. Just not going to get the benefit of the doubt in this particular scenario. Early in the game if we are leading... maybe. But late in the game when we're down, forget it.

Secondly, some nights you work hard and the puck bounces your way (Tampa on Sunday). Some nights you get outworked and the puck bounces your way (Dallas last Saturday). And some nights you get outworked and you just lose. The Blues' players had a better night than the players we put on the ice.

We don't have three of our top players. And we lost Cube for 1/2 of a period (does anyone know what happened there??). Can anyone argue that our PP wouldn't be more productive with Goc and Suter, not to mention Lombardi. Think Weber won't be more productive with Suter on the ice with him?? And with Goc back, Wilson moves back to wing and we roll three scoring lines, taking pressure of the HOS line.

With these key injuries, we need a little luck to go with our hard work. This season Lady Fortuna has smiled upon us -- till tonight. She'll be back. And so will Suter, Goc, and Lombardi. When those guys are back we won't need her.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
After they signed off, the STL broadcast replayed the hit from two angles about five times on a loop with all the goals scored, so I've seen this hit multiple times.

Trotz in the postgame hit on three points and all three were accurate...

1) Tootoo broke stride at the faceoff dots and coasted into the hit for 10+ feet
2) Tootoo made shoulder to shoulder contact. At no point did he hit Colaiacovo in the head.
3) Tootoo did not leave his feet. His left foot comes up after contact by a few inches, but that was due to the position of Colaiacovo's left leg and not due to leaping.

Tootoo made the hit trying to spark the team and get them going for a late push. Tootoo did not respond to several cross-checks by Boyes (? - it was 20 something) after the hit or the gloved punch by Stratchan becuase he thought the hit was clean and wanted the PP for the Preds. If he thought the hit was dirty and felt he was going to get thrown out, he would have taken someone with him and dropped the gloves.

There was no call on the initial hit. The call came because Colaiacovo was injured and it was Tootoo that hit him.

No doubt, that play wasn't the reason we lost, but it did end any chance for a comeback. It was a reputation call all the way and what really got me more upset was the failure to call any of Stratchan's gloved punch to Tootoo's head, Stratchan throwing off his gloves to fight Tootoo, or the multiple cross-checks to Tootoo's back as he's dealing with Stratchan.

Bottom line is if there is any supplemental discipline on Tootoo I'd be more upset than I was tonight with the initial call. If anything, on review the league should overturn the game misconduct since those do add up and Tootoo would be subject to a suspension if he received another this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote