HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Backes

Old
10-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
For those interested this article is telling of what you get out of Backes....

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...c7553c5b5.html

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post

As I said earlier, Backes has a lot of leverage here.

Pros for the Backes camp:
1) UFA at age 27, so lots of good years ahead of him
2) Brings the power forward package that teams covet
3) Opens up ice for his linemates and plays well defensively

If Backes is dead set at getting $5 million per season, most likely some other team is going to offer it to him if the Blues do not. There will be playoff teams that get eliminated that will be looking to add size, grit and skill up front and he can bring that to the table.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:46 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik View Post
Too much. Versteeg++. He is a vital piece to a young St. Louis team. He is their on ice leader and their only true power forward. He won't be traded, as St. Louis will need him for the playoffs.

unless the ++ is Kadri or schenn the answer will be no

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:25 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
again lets be realistic Backes is good but not a star and he is a UFA at seasons end where as both Kadri and schenn are FAR from that therefore backes is not worth Kadri or Schenn

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 08:36 AM
frankielax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
if they are out of the playoffs no they'll move him. If they are in the race which they should be he'll be kept and they'd gladly take the shot at re signing him in the off season or losing him for nothing. What's the difference between losing him for nothing at the end of the year or any other team trading away assets for a rental at the deadline? There is none
I see it a different way. Even if we are in the playoffs, if they're sure Backes won't resign or he wants too much, I really hope they trade him. He has way too much value to let him walk for free. It isn't worth 1 possible playoff series to not take advantage of a trade situation. I don't think he'd have THAT much of an impact anyways to forego a potentially very good return in a trade.

If they believe he won't sign, trade him regardless of position in the standings. IMO Yeah, he might only be a rental, but clearly there would be a ton of interest anyways so the Blues would be doing themselves a huge disservice by letting him walk for free.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Blueshockey2*

The Blues will sign Backes to a reasonable, yet generous contract before he gets anywhere near July 1st

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:05 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
That's ludacris. Backes is a very good player, but Versteeg is pretty damn good, too.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:06 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
again lets be realistic Backes is good but not a star and he is a UFA at seasons end where as both Kadri and schenn are FAR from that therefore backes is not worth Kadri or Schenn
It's called overpayment.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
It's called overpayment.

Something Brian Burke is good for, see Phil Kessel.

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:42 PM
MattVenca

hes not getting moved

Backes will not come cheap, and there are a lot of teams that would be interested.

As for the best package Toronto could offer, I agree it would need to start with Versteeg and then add.

St. Louis will not trade Backes because he is a rare combination of size (6'3 225) and skill that can play center. He's a young, top-calibre 2nd line forward who hits and has scored 30 goals. Any playoff team wants this guy in a 7 game series.

He is not easily replaceable

MattVenca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
tadadonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar50 View Post
Nick Kypreos said he is looking for Ryan Kesler money and St. Louis is not willing to pay it yet.
Burke will show how much a hypocrite he is. He will give Backes that money.

tadadonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:14 PM
zeus3007*

If Backes is actually available, there will be a lot of interest. Are the Blues still trying to dump Brewer? If I'm Edmonton, I would make a strong offer, something like this:

To Edmonton: David Backes, Eric Brewer (if he is still a "dump")

To St. Louis: Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano, one of Jim Vandermeer or Jason Strudwick, and a 3rd round pick.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:21 PM
SoulAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
If Backes is actually available, there will be a lot of interest. Are the Blues still trying to dump Brewer? If I'm Edmonton, I would make a strong offer, something like this:

To St. Louis: Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano, one of Jim Vandermeer or Jason Strudwick, and a 3rd round pick.
Vandermeer and Strudwick add NOTHING to this deal, those guys are a dime a dozen.

Try something like adding in a prospect instead of one of those guys, and you may need a higher pick.

SoulAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:28 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:

Brewer has been solid he is in the last year of his contract. So there is really no need to dump him. It seems like Brewer just needed a chance to finally be healthy and a new coach to play well.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:45 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I think toronto fans over rate the value of Kadri. He is a good prospect but he is a prospect that has not played in the NHL yet. In general his value is that of a 5-10 range 1st round draft pick in most drafts. He's currently the 17th ranked prospect by Hockey futures.

Also if Toronto doesn't want to deal Kadri they really have nothing the Blues would want for Backes. The Blues are well stocked on Defense and could use someone who could spark their offense. Versteeg is not that guy IMO. I think any deal for Backes will need to start with a prospect or roster player with the potential to be a high level top 6 forward or a 1st round draft pick.

Also I really doubt we trade Backes.

Old
10-28-2010, 01:49 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

My guess is they'll wait till closer to the deadline to decide. By then he may have changed his mind. St.Louis is hopeful to make the playoffs. There is a window where they can trade his rights after the playoffs and before July 1st.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:00 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulAssassin View Post
Vandermeer and Strudwick add NOTHING to this deal, those guys are a dime a dozen.

Try something like adding in a prospect instead of one of those guys, and you may need a higher pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Brewer has been solid he is in the last year of his contract. So there is really no need to dump him. It seems like Brewer just needed a chance to finally be healthy and a new coach to play well.
For all the screaming about moving him this summer, I had assumed Brewer was done as a player. Which is why I offered up a swap of Vandermeer or Strudwick. If Brewer has gotten some game back, then of course this swap makes no sense, but I was going by what most Blues fans were going with all summer, that Brewer, like Vandermeer and Strudwick, are barely third pairing guys, which is why it was a dump there. If Brewer has some game back, then we can take him and our d-man out and add a prospect like Anton Lander or maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:35 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post

Quote:
Backes, who will turn 27 in May, would become a free agent July 1 if unsigned. It's believed that Backes and the Blues have had preliminary talks, but they are now on hold.

Asked if the team would work to finalize a deal in-season, general manager Doug Armstrong said, "I think every contract is individual. You have to look at each one with their own merits. What we will be strong on is we won't comment what way we're going."

"It's more of them coming to me and getting something done," Backes said. "I hope to have it not be a distraction. It's best for both sides if minds are clear and we're concentrating on hockey.

Interesting. Either he was low-balled or his expectations are unrealistic (or both).

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 08:05 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
For all the screaming about moving him this summer, I had assumed Brewer was done as a player. Which is why I offered up a swap of Vandermeer or Strudwick. If Brewer has gotten some game back, then of course this swap makes no sense, but I was going by what most Blues fans were going with all summer, that Brewer, like Vandermeer and Strudwick, are barely third pairing guys, which is why it was a dump there. If Brewer has some game back, then we can take him and our d-man out and add a prospect like Anton Lander or maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.
I was someone who was in favor of dumping Brewer over the summer actually lol. He seems to be making a lot of us eat crow right now. Scary thing is during the summer I thought there was no chance of us resigning him. Right now if he was willing to sign for the right price on a short deal I wouldn't be to mad if he keeps his play up. He's actually been playing like a captain standing up for his teammates and all. It seems like us fans don't always know what's best for out team.

Old
10-28-2010, 09:20 PM
jmoss45

Id give Penner or Gagner or Hemsky from the Oilers. 1 for 1 deal.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:24 PM
NYR Viper

If I were the Rangers I would give quite a bit:

Grachev/McDonagh + Sauer + WAS 2nd?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:48 PM
journeyman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I was someone who was in favor of dumping Brewer over the summer actually lol. He seems to be making a lot of us eat crow right now. Scary thing is during the summer I thought there was no chance of us resigning him. Right now if he was willing to sign for the right price on a short deal I wouldn't be to mad if he keeps his play up. He's actually been playing like a captain standing up for his teammates and all. It seems like us fans don't always know what's best for out team.
I also, was very critical of him and he's proving me wrong. I don't know if I would resign him though, I've seen his "dark" side and it sucks.

journeyman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Interesting. Either he was low-balled or his expectations are unrealistic (or both).
...or both management and the player decided to put negotiations on the back burner for now and concentrate on continuing to win hockey games.

Plenty of time between now and July 1 to get something worked out. This isn't the time to be talking contract.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Id give Penner or Gagner or Hemsky from the Oilers. 1 for 1 deal.
Doug Armstong's response:

"Click."

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
If I were the Rangers I would give quite a bit:

Grachev/McDonagh + Sauer + WAS 2nd?
Counter: