Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Watching live SEL games near airport

Old
10-28-2010, 03:06 PM
b2yip

vCash: 500
Watching live SEL games near airport

Hi all,

I'm from Canada and currently studying in the UK for one semester and really want to catch a SEL game in Sweden before I leave. I was wondering if someone can advise me in which arenas are reasonably close to an airport so that I wouldn't have to travel a long way when I arrive by plane to the arena. I had a friend tell me that the Gothenburg-Landvetter is relatively close to the Scandinavium Arena?

I really don't have a preference in which team to watch, just as long as its convenient for me to hop on a cab at the airport to the game. Also, where can I buy tickets for SEL games?

Much thanks!

b2yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:47 PM
KRM

It's cheaper to fly to City Airport in Gothenburg (with Ryanair from Stansted), but it's basically the same distance to the arena and you have to switch from bus to tram at the central station. Also, poor roads connecting to the city, no highways just small 70 and 50 roads all the way.

If you land at Landvetter you can take the airport bus and the first stop it makes is at Korsvägen, just 200m from Scandinavium. If you're coming to Gothenburg I would definitely recommend Landvetter. EasyJet lands at Landvetter, going from Gatwick, Scandinavian Airlines and British Airways fly from Heathrow. It's 23km between Landvetter and Scandinavium if you're taking a cab, and it's quite convenient with cab or bus since Scandinavium is on the first highway exit after you enter the city.

If you're flying to Stockholm Bromma is much closer to the city then Arlanda. Have no idea which airlines land there though. However from Arlanda you can take an express train to Stockholm Central Station, and from there the metro, or a cab but the distance is 50km.

You can buy tickets online to all SEL games at http://www.ticnet.se/.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 04:43 AM
b2yip

Thanks KRM! It's actually cheaper from where I live to fly to Landvetter so I'll probably gonna take that route. Gonna start looking for tickets now!

If anyone has any input for other arenas plz let me know.

Cheers!

b2yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Son of Krypton

Well, while Arlanda isn't exactly close to the Globen/Hovet arenas, getting there is very simple.
The Arlanda Express will take you from the airport building to Stockholm Central Station in 20 minutes or less.
At the Central Station, you just go down the stairs to the T-Centralen subway station and take the green line to Globen. It's a ten minute ride.
So the actual travel time from the airport to the arena is 30 minutes.*

The plus here is that you have two SEL teams (AIK and Djurgården) playing their home games at Hovet.
Unless they play each other. Then they'll play at Globen, which is right next door to Hovet.

* You could take a cab, of course, but I wouldn't.
The Arlanda Express is a very comfortable ride, and there's usually plenty of room on these trains.
And unless there's a AIK-Djurgården game, the subway shouldn't be very crowded either.
Taking a cab will be much more expensive, and you'll always run the risk of getting stuck in traffic.

Last edited by Son of Krypton: 10-29-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote