HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When Spezza is back...

Old
10-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Michalek has produced more with Spezza this year (3 G), than he has with Fisher (1 A).

Even Alfredsson has more points with Spezza this year (4 A) than he has with Fisher (1 G, 2 A). Most of Alfie's goals have come on the PP.
Can't argue that the team doesn't look a lot better the last 2 or 3 games with these top 2 lines. W's are nice too.

Last edited by Icelevel: 10-28-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:48 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Michalek has produced more with Spezza this year (3 G), than he has with Fisher (1 A).

Even Alfredsson has more points with Spezza this year (4 A) than he has with Fisher (1 G, 2 A). Most of Alfie's goals have come on the PP.
Its not about how many points one line can get.. Its spreading it out so we have a 1a-1b punch as our 1st and 2nd line.. It is MUCH harder to defend against...

Also when Regin has been paired with Spezza he has produced at a higher level than Michalek did when he was.. Even though it was only a small sample.. it worked..

I think Regin is a better fit with Spezza as both players are VERY creative as well as Kovalev...

The MFA line give us a crash and bang scoring line while our 1st line.. the RSK line would be a more creative scoring line..

It works perfectly on paper at least

Regin - Spezza - Kovalev = Creative playmaking (I honestly think that this would force Kovalev to actually produce all the time)
Michalek - Fisher - Alfredsson = Crashing two-way scoring line
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil = Perfect checking line that can pot a goal here and there..
Shannon - Smith - Winchester (I honestly to think Butler is better than Winchester...) A decent speedy feisty 4th line

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:48 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by senatoilers View Post
No what's funny is how many people want to return to the Michalek-Spezza-Alfie line that has done nothing for us. We're 3-2 with 15GF and 10GA with the MFA line, while we're 1-3-1 with 11GF and 19GA against with Spezza centering Michalek and Alfie. It's like you're all Clouston.
Keep them together while they're working, but don't get too attached to them. The lines will change all year long and the offense is improving for a quite a few reasons... a big one being that the transition game is much better and we can now attack with some speed.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
Can't argue that the team looks a lot better the last 2 or 3 games with these top 2 lines. W's are nice too.
Based on this logic we should just keep Spezza in the press box.

Yes, the team looks better, but it's not because of Mike Fisher - he hasn't even played particularly well, although tonight was an exception. The main reasons that the team has looked better are (1) the PP is 4/13, and (2) the defence have reduced the turnovers, and are making decent breakouts.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
Its not about how many points one line can get.. Its spreading it out so we have a 1a-1b punch as our 1st and 2nd line.. It is MUCH harder to defend against...

Also when Regin has been paired with Spezza he has produced at a higher level than Michalek did when he was.. Even though it was only a small sample.. it worked..

I think Regin is a better fit with Spezza as both players are VERY creative as well as Kovalev...

The MFA line give us a crash and bang scoring line while our 1st line.. the RSK line would be a more creative scoring line..
Again, I have no problem with playing Regin and Kovalev with Spezza. But some people take this "spread the talent around" approach way too far and want to see our top center playing with the likes of Shannon, Smith, Butler, Locke. Don't get me wrong, I kind of like Shannon, but as a plug in the case of injuries - not the type of guy you voluntarily slot in beside Spezza.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:56 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Again, I have no problem with playing Regin and Kovalev with Spezza. But some people take this "spread the talent around" approach way too far and want to see our top center playing with the likes of Shannon, Smith, Butler, Locke. Don't get me wrong, I kind of like Shannon, but as a plug in the case of injuries - not the type of guy you voluntarily slot in beside Spezza.
Well I too think that is kind of weird, but if I remember right Shannon did play a few games last year with Spezza and played quite well.. I am not saying that he should be up there all the time, I am just agreeing with you that he is a very good injury plugin..

I think that Butler should get a game or two in Winchester's place tho.. I think that Butler will become a better player than Winchester ever will, and already is.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:

Yes, the team looks better, but it's not because of Mike Fisher - he hasn't even played particularly well, although tonight was an exception. The main reasons that the team has looked better are (1) the PP is 4/13, and (2) the defence have reduced the turnovers, and are making decent breakouts.
The puzzle doesn't fit together properly with all the forwards healthy. I can't see either of those top 2 lines getting better by replacing anyone with spezza. Don't know what the answer is when he is ready, but i'm afraid of what clouston comes up with.

It won't happen, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Shannon-Spezza-Butler line for a while.

Old
10-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Afro Thunder*

The odd man out in the Regin line is Foligno, you could tell he's a step behind during the plays of Regin and Kovalev.

You let Spez canter that line and it's great that he already has some Chemistry with Regin, he should get more out of him as well.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:05 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
I think that Butler should get a game or two in Winchester's place tho.. I think that Butler will become a better player than Winchester ever will, and already is.
Maybe, maybe not. But Butler could never play Winchester's role.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
I dont think Spezza should permanently play with the likes of a Shannon & Kelly...Im saying if things are rolling now while Spezza gets back to being comfortable..play him with a guy liek Kelly who is responsible...and has definately worked on his hands and a speedster like Shannon who can finish off nice plays..

I personally do not like Michalek with Spezza..Much prefer him with Fisher...

Maybe something like

Regin Spezza Alfie
Michalek Fisher Kovalev
Foligno Kelly Shannon
Ruutu Smith/Winchester Neil

Legend Killer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:15 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Until Fisher starts playing stupid on our first line, no reason why CC removes him

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Trade Kovalev/Foligno/1st and get Havlat

and then have:

Michalek Fisher Alfie
Regin Spezza Havlat
Ruutu Kelly Neil
Shannon/Winnie/Smith/Butler

Lehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:17 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Michalek-Fisher-Alfredsson
Regin-Spezza-Kovalev
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Foligno-Winchester or Smith-Shanon
And there's our winner ladies and gentlemen.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:26 PM
BBB

When Foligno was scoring in the preseason, wasn't he with Smith and Winchester?

BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:32 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
Trade Kovalev/Foligno/1st and get Havlat

and then have:

Michalek Fisher Alfie
Regin Spezza Havlat
Ruutu Kelly Neil
Shannon/Winnie/Smith/Butler
Yes, trading the first is exactly what Ottawa needs to do

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:48 PM
langcam

Regin-Spezza-Kovalev
Michalek-Fisher-Alfie

Foligno is the odd man out.

langcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:08 PM
ILLESToO
Godspeed, Bryan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by langcam View Post
Regin-Spezza-Kovalev
Michalek-Fisher-Alfie

Foligno is the odd man out.

Yeah seriously I would really like it that way BUT ,
I doubt that Clouston will put Spezza with Kovalev , he seems to think that it won't click but Im sure it would , + Kovalev already stated he likes to play with Regin

ILLESToO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I really like our top 2 lines at the moment but we obviously need to put some skills on Spezza's wing when he comes back. I don't know why some people laugh at the Shannon suggestion.

The guy is hardworking, has a lot of speed and is has more skills than anybody out of the current top 6. Now with Shannon and Spezza, we need someone who can score. I wouldn't mind seeing Michalek moved back with Spezza while Kelly takes the left wing with Fish and Alfi. Both lines would have duos that had success together and a third member that completes the line where it's weak.

First off, Shannon, far from beeing the equal to Alfredsson, brings skill, speed and vision. With Michalek on the other wing, they could do some damage off the rush with their speed. I think Spezza and Shannon could definately work well together because they are smart players, making a lot of quick passes. I remember a game where Shannon set up Spezza for two goal. Here are the game highlights

With Kelly on the other line, we have one of the most balanced shut down line in the league. Fisher can skate with the best of them but he doesn't use his wingers like a real 2nd line centre. Why waste a spot on his wing for a talented LW? We might as well put someone who can help the team even when he doesn't produce. Stonehands Kelly will not wait for a pass while his centreman gobbles all the chances. He will work the boards, plays well in the cycle, just like Fisher likes to do and he's the extra center when we have an important face off. Alfi has shown that he can produce when he plays with a defensive assignment (Sweden gold in 06, Frolunda championship in 05). All three did play together during the hot streak of 09-10. BTW, while searching for that game when Spezza and Shannon played together, I found out that the Kelly-Fish-Alfi line get's the winning goal in that very same game.

Finally our current 3rd line would move down to 4th line status which is not a bad thing if they play less. I think Smith would make that line even less pleasant to play against. The Regin line would still get some icetime, probably a bit less though but the goal is to be able to icethree very well balanced lines that can score for 12-15 minutes at ES. The special teams will come into play for the extra ice time for our best players.

Michalek-Spezza-Shannon
Kelly-Fisher-Alfi
Foligno-Regin-Kovy
Ruutu-Smith-Neil

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:34 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

Good lord, what does this guy need to do to get some respect around here? He single handedly beat the Hurricanes with his hits & his scoring. Against, Florida he had 1 goal & 1 assist & was a plus 2, he also had 2 take aways, 3 blocked shots, 2 hits & won 62% of his faceoffs & NO GIVEAWAYS. He plays the PP, PK & is now playing as the 1st line centre. Since he joined the 1st line they are playing much better than they were & they are protecting the puck much better with less giveaways. Most here are constantly bringing up the point that he isn't even good enough to be a 2nd line centre, yet he has 6 pts in 10 games. What more can this guy do?

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Karlssonlee

Kovalev and Spezza should not be on the same line

1) Noone would win battles for the puck
2) Noone would forecheck
3) Slow down the pace of the game way to much
4) Both are puck possession players, that like to have the puck on their stick

Regin can't be doing all the defensive work and forechecking, he'll be dog tired trying to cover for the two of them all the time. He would have to be the first one on the forecheck and first one back.

Karlssonlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:40 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Kovalev and Spezza should not be on the same line

1) Noone would win battles for the puck
2) Noone would forecheck
3) Slow down the pace of the game way to much
4) Both are puck possession players, that like to have the puck on their stick

Regin can't be doing all the defensive work and forechecking, he'll be dog tired trying to cover for the two of them all the time. He would have to be the first one on the forecheck and first one back.
You can add 5) to this list: No one would backcheck either. Once the play is away from them they give up.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Spezza is a pass first guy, he needs a finisher on his line...you can't play him with guys who can't score like Shannon or Kelly.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasberry Strudel View Post
Spezza is a pass first guy, he needs a finisher on his line...you can't play him with guys who can't score like Shannon or Kelly.
Spezza needs to learn to be a shoot first guy.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:58 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
Spezza needs to learn to be a shoot first guy.
Oh come on the guy scored back to back 34 goal seasons, he shoots enough.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Michalek's knees are time bombs. He needs to get his ice time reduced somehow or else we're going end up without him in the playoffs once again.

Foligno doesn't belong in the top 6, or least not yet (it's crazy how I always forget he's just 22).

Kovalev has been talking about wanting to have the opportunity to stick with his linemates and the way he's been playing I say we indulge him.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote