HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out Of Town Thread part XIII (All non Habs related news here) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2010, 12:26 AM
GoHomez

vCash: 500
That Tim Thomas guy plays like a Vezina winner.
I though he was brutal when he played in Sweden some ten years ago and would never have thought he would make it to the NHL.
His style, or lack thereof, is really decieving...

Old
10-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
I would hire Therrien. Hes used to dealing with superstars and would add some needed structure.
Inspired choice there. Therrien should also be considered for the Ducks job if Carlysle gets the boot. He was a coach with physical teams in junior and it's his natural style, he knows how to motivate a roster like that.

Old
10-29-2010, 12:36 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Yeah we really didn't need a potential top 2 center who is 6'2'' and good at both ends of the ice, we've had tons of those over the years.
Right, we really needed a "potential" top 6 center when those 2 spots are filled for the next 3+ years.

They needed an "established" winger.....the whole world knew they needed a top 6 winger. And look what we have, 9 games in and searching for a top 6 winger to play with Gomez and Gionta.

I'd rather deal with immediate needs ahead of future needs.

Old
10-29-2010, 12:48 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Right, we really needed a "potential" top 6 center when those 2 spots are filled for the next 3+ years.

They needed an "established" winger.....the whole world knew they needed a top 6 winger. And look what we have, 9 games in and searching for a top 6 winger to play with Gomez and Gionta.

I'd rather deal with immediate needs ahead of future needs.
Cap space didn't allow Gauthier to do so.

You'll argue about "he could have traded Hamrlik or Spacek for nothing"... Thing is, Gauthier didn't want to.

So according to his plan, getting a 3M+ scorer was very hard to do.

This is why I pushed all summer long and hoped to see him sign a bargain contract with a potentially good winger. Tanguay, Torres, Afinogenov (even though he flew back to Russia), Guerin or Nolan all are examples of guys who could have been signed for very little, who would have been willing to wait and try to jump back, and who would have signed for very little. Are they stars/top-6 players? No. That still doesn't mean they're useless.

Plus, at the time Gauthier traded Halak, we couldn't have got a whole lot of salary back, simply because we would have had to deal Spacek and/or Hamrlik, and that it was simply impossible to do so at this time of the year, just before an extremly deep UFA D pool.

Old
10-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Boudreau will lose his job before Christmas .....
God I hope so,Ovechkin and Backstrom are looking like horrible picks so far in my pool

In Boston it looks like Thomas is getting his job back,what a great start to the season

Good for Halak as well

Old
10-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post

You'll argue about "he could have traded Hamrlik or Spacek for nothing"... Thing is, Gauthier didn't want to.

This is why I pushed all summer long and hoped to see him sign a bargain contract with a potentially good winger. Tanguay, Torres, Afinogenov (even though he flew back to Russia), Guerin or Nolan all are examples of guys who could have been signed for very little, who would have been willing to wait and try to jump back, and who would have signed for very little. Are they stars/top-6 players? No. That still doesn't mean they're useless.

Plus, at the time Gauthier traded Halak, we couldn't have got a whole lot of salary back, simply because we would have had to deal Spacek and/or Hamrlik, and that it was simply impossible to do so at this time of the year, just before an extremly deep UFA D pool.
You know what Cam A Larry....that actually was a great assessment of the situation, I couldn't have said it better myself. Also, as the GM of the Blues said, Montreal pushed for Eller, not the other way around. There are strong rumors that Blues were offering Berglund at Price at first. The GM actually stated that they had called for Price. They switched there minds for Halak and offered Berglund. Gauthier insisted on Eller, the blues finally budged. So it was clear who Gauthier wanted and from that pursuit, you can tell that Gauthier really believes in Eller.

Also, the goalie market isn't the best. I don't feel like explaining that more than I have to because it has been explained ad nauseum.

Last edited by Andy: 10-29-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old
10-29-2010, 07:50 AM
David_99

Quote:

I had this very discussion with a guy at my work. His reply? "Well then, they should have traded Halak + Hammer for Eller + Shultz + Pietrangelo."

Old
10-29-2010, 08:33 AM
JayBee*

Quote:

So Eller is the best prospect that fits under Gauthier's paramaters? Is that what you're telling me? There weren't any top 6 wingers available for a low cap hit? If you have a GAPING hole, you fill it. If it takes trading an aging player you don't want to trade, you do it. If it takes signing a player via free agency. You do it. Spacek and Hammer....at least one of these guys should not be on this team.

Old
10-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wasn't too long before people forgot to use the ex-habs thread....
Thanks Whitesnake!

We have a thread that is strictly dedicated to discussions regarding ALL Ex-Habs. Use it!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=833638

Old
10-29-2010, 04:31 PM
kernkraft

Oilers still at the bottom (almost) of the league with everyone healthy. They're going to be very good in 2 seasons if they nab Larsson in June.

Old
10-29-2010, 05:34 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Oilers still at the bottom (almost) of the league with everyone healthy. They're going to be very good in 2 seasons if they nab Larsson in June.
thats gonna be sick! They need some help on D. Can u say Spacek?

Old
10-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Stradale

Another game, another loss for M-A Fleury. He's 1-5 this season and his SV% is under 0.890 in every of his 6 starts.

Old
10-29-2010, 08:50 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Another game, another loss for M-A Fleury. He's 1-5 this season and his SV% is under 0.890 in every of his 6 starts.
Pretty crappy start. To say I took him in my pool

Old
10-29-2010, 09:38 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

you're going to wish you let him drown in your pool.

Old
10-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
yeah seriously, ..they didnt win the cup cuz of fleury...the won the cup because malkin had the season of his LIFE

Old
10-30-2010, 08:47 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
Most of those pools heavily favor wins and shutouts, so you're not really taking the goalie so much as his team.

Old
10-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
You know what Cam A Larry....that actually was a great assessment of the situation, I couldn't have said it better myself. Also, as the GM of the Blues said, Montreal pushed for Eller, not the other way around. There are strong rumors that Blues were offering Berglund at Price at first. The GM actually stated that they had called for Price. They switched there minds for Halak and offered Berglund. Gauthier insisted on Eller, the blues finally budged. So it was clear who Gauthier wanted and from that pursuit, you can tell that Gauthier really believes in Eller.

Also, the goalie market isn't the best. I don't feel like explaining that more than I have to because it has been explained ad nauseum.
I remember JD mentioning that the Habs decided which goalie was available and that the Blues were okay with either one.

As for Berglund, never saw it written anywhere but when Doug Armstrong said that he tried to push different players to Gauthier, my first thought was Berglund who was coming off a sophomore slump.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Georges Gorges

It's me or the Thrashers are also using the «Ole Ole Ole» chant ?

Wait until near the end of the video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYTty0fQEgw

Nice goal btw.

Old
10-30-2010, 02:39 PM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
thats gonna be sick! They need some help on D. Can u say Spacek?
Until all of their hot shots are off their ELC..

Old
10-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Fan Of View Post
It's me or the Thrashers are also using the «Ole Ole Ole» chant ?
yes they do this season.

Old
10-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
God I hope so,Ovechkin and Backstrom are looking like horrible picks so far in my pool
I don't understand how he wasn't fired after their last post season. Complete choke up 3-1 versus the 8th seed in the POs. The season before was a disappointment as well.
The Caps are not a well coached team.

Old
10-30-2010, 08:57 PM
sheed36

Well it looks like the Leafs have come crashing back down to earth and are struggling to score goals like so many predicted before the season started.. Leaf fans didn't think so but everyone else did.. Shutout now in back to back games...

Even though I can't stand anything Bruins related but how about the start to the season for Timmy Thomas? The guy is playing lights out and looks to be back to his Vezina form of 2 years ago.. Considering his long tough road to making the NHL he is one player I enjoy seeing succeed even though he is a Bruin..

Old
10-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Frankenheimer

Same, if there's one Bruin I like it's Tim Thomas, and although I haven't seen any of his games this year, this has to be the best start of any goalie ever. He's allowed three goals in six games. Ridiculous stuff. He must be pissed about sitting on the bench last year. Good for him.

Old
10-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Hugo Sham

well at least the leafs, sens and now buffalo (losing 3-0) are all losing / lost tonight...now we need a coyote win over the bolts...and the LA over NJ lol

Old
10-30-2010, 09:10 PM
MarkovsKnee

Atlanta is beating St. Louis 3-1. If that score holds they'll jump from 9th to 4th! That also means Toronto falls out of 8th place, where they currently sit after tonight's loss, into 9th spot.

I can't even properly explain how much I hate the Leafs.

Closed Thread