Miettinen OUT Indefinitely

Old
10-29-2010, 01:51 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Miettinen OUT Indefinitely

Quote:
Coach Todd Richards said this morning that it appears Antti Miettinen has a concussion stemming from Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown's hit to Miettinen's head Monday.

The Wild first thought he had an inner-ear infection. He had been complaining of a headache, but yesterday he showed up to the rink with vision problems. Now after being examined by the doctor, it's believed he's got symptoms of a concussion.
Russo

Well, that's one way to see someone else on Koivu's wing. A bit sad that it's because of a concussion to Miettinen, though. Never want to see that type of injury to any player.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:54 PM
mnwildgophers

I agree with you that I don't want to see a guy injured, but hopefully it's a blessing in disguise for us to try someone else on Mikko's wing.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:57 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Maybe this will quiet all the "controversy" over the ejection.

Really sucks for him. Hope his replacements relish the chance.

llamapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I'm really interest to see Kobasew with Bruno/Koivu for an extended period of time. I was impressed with him last night, and hopefully he can continue to produce. I just don't think it's a coincidence: 8 games on the 3rd line, he's very invisible; 1 game on the 1st line, a goal and 2-3 other good chances.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:01 PM
State of Hockey

Not another concussion . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I think it was pretty quiet. The refs made the wrong call. Not a big deal.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:02 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
man, mittens is a nice guy. this sucks for him. I was almost positive i saw a bunch of kings fans calling BS, he didn't even hit him in the head on that play. Not true, i guess.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd still be interested to see Havlat on Koivu's line. He's scored 29 and 31 goals in the NHL, while Kobasew and Miettinen have 22 and 20 goal highs respectively.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
To bad for Mittens; he may be the most under-appreciated member of the team.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
man, mittens is a nice guy. this sucks for him. I was almost positive i saw a bunch of kings fans calling BS, he didn't even hit him in the head on that play. Not true, i guess.
I didn't bother looking up the vid after the fact, but a possibility is that he nailed his head on the ice when he fell... Certainly not unheard of.

Sucks that he's hurt, I was genuinely interested to see how Mittens would do without Koivu. Hopefully it's not too bad...

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:10 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:

Agreed.

Dirty hit, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if Brown "hit Miettinen's shoulder first". It really doesn't. The center of Brown's mass was directed at the center of Miettinen's head at full speed. It's a really simple call.

That's great that Brown thought it was a clean hit. However, there are tons of things Brown could have done to not have that happen. And he didn't do any of them. He tooks the risk, because he knew somebody else would have to pay the price of the risk.

This is not the same as a player turning his back on a checker, or an awkward hit into the boards. This is a player skating full speed like a missile for several seconds, trying to hit his opponent as painfully as possible. And he was successful.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:17 PM
nickschultzfan

I believe that players need to be taught to protect themselves.

But they are also taught how to shoot well.

And sometimes shooting well puts you into a very vunerable position to blindside hits directed at the head.

We have the option of eliminating the blindside hits to the head or eliminating good shots. I chose the first.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:26 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I believe that players need to be taught to protect themselves.

But they are also taught how to shoot well.

And sometimes shooting well puts you into a very vunerable position to blindside hits directed at the head.

We have the option of eliminating the blindside hits to the head or eliminating good shots. I chose the first.
not sure you got on board the logic train on that one. Without saying yea or nae on the Blindside Hit rule: Good shots don't go away because people are hitting heads...If anything the shooter looks better because he's throwing himself out there to take the great shot. just like guys will take a massive hit to make a pretty pass or clear the zone. (the placement of the hit has nothing to do with it--it's about the player weighing the value of his actions versus the repercussions).

Old
10-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There were two things I didn't like:
- hit him in the head
- hit him while he was vulnerable

There was no reason Brown had to level Miettinen on the play, especially with a hit to the head. That's a lack of respect on Brown's part and isn't needed. I'm also of the opinion that there should be no legal hits to the head and any non-incidental hit to the head should result in a suspension and fine.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

thats just what kind of player Brown is and why he's valued--he will go for the big hit if it ever looks available. Clutter will eventually injure someone as well---you throw five times as many hits as the average NHLr and you will eventually cross the line whether you meant to or not.
Not defending this particular hit, but it was bound to happen on a Brown hit sooner or later.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not saying Brown's a dirty player, but it's a dirty hit, like any hit to the head.

Old
10-29-2010, 04:00 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
not sure you got on board the logic train on that one. Without saying yea or nae on the Blindside Hit rule: Good shots don't go away because people are hitting heads...If anything the shooter looks better because he's throwing himself out there to take the great shot. just like guys will take a massive hit to make a pretty pass or clear the zone. (the placement of the hit has nothing to do with it--it's about the player weighing the value of his actions versus the repercussions).
I meant that when you are really leaning into a shot and in the follow-through, your head is away from your body and exposed.

You can't exactly lean into a shot if you are also trying to protect your head. Even Ovechkin leaves his head out there when he's loading up.

Gaborik is about the only one in the NHL who can unleash a wicked shot from a completely upright position. (Note - I never understood how he would do that).

Old
10-29-2010, 04:12 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I meant that when you are really leaning into a shot and in the follow-through, your head is away from your body and exposed.

You can't exactly lean into a shot if you are also trying to protect your head. Even Ovechkin leaves his head out there when he's loading up.

Gaborik is about the only one in the NHL who can unleash a wicked shot from a completely upright position. (Note - I never understood how he would do that).
i get what you're trying to say and i phrased my response poorly--i was trying to say that certain players will willingly put themselves in harms way to get that great shot off (or the sick pass, etc) and look better for it.

Fear of blindside hits won't change this. In other words it isn't an either/or choice IMO.

Old
10-29-2010, 05:15 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Seriously, all I keep reading about is how the NHL needs replay and wronged the Kings. But either way, that's disappointing for Mittens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
To bad for Mittens; he may be the most under-appreciated member of the team.
Love the avatar.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:29 PM
BigT2002

So do you think he really has one or is this an excuse to keep Casey up and mix the lines up without pissing off the Captain

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:31 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
So do you think he really has one or is this an excuse to keep Casey up and mix the lines up without pissing off the Captain
Given the hit he took and then consequently missing team functions due to "illness", I'd say it pretty legitimate.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
If it's an excuse than the team has more problems than it would like to admit.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post

Love the avatar.

Hey you should - it was your idea

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:19 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I'm really interest to see Kobasew with Bruno/Koivu for an extended period of time. I was impressed with him last night, and hopefully he can continue to produce. I just don't think it's a coincidence: 8 games on the 3rd line, he's very invisible; 1 game on the 1st line, a goal and 2-3 other good chances.
Agreed. Kobasew fit the line much better lastnight than Miettinen ever has.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:24 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Not another concussion . . .

I think it was pretty quiet. The refs made the wrong call. Not a big deal.
It was a pretty clear hit to the head... even the VS play-by-play guys said it was the absolute right call by the letter of the law.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:28 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Well to be fair, Kobasew missed as many chances as Miettinen usually does. Clutterbuck has looked better with Nystrom/Madden than Kobasew did(though I feel that's more because Madden's play has improved), so unless we're breaking up the 2nd line then its Kobasew's job.

I agreed with how the hit was called. Major and no suspension. That being said, look what Doan got suspended for...

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote