HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kovalchuk speaks about his "return" to LA

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2010, 06:07 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Ben Dayho

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Tomorrow night. The Ducks are playing them tonight.
Oops! Well in that case, I'd like to see him put a hurting on the Ducks

Old
10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
I don't have a problem with the booing at all. Knock yourself out with it, honestly. I just dislike the attitude of SOME LA fans who feel like Kovalchuk was their property and he somehow back-stabbed them..It gets tiresome. Did he make the right choice? Probably not. But 20 million, like you said, is a lot to turn down. The way Kings fans are acting, however, gets annoying. Almost like Rangers fans who think every big name free agent is going to sign with them in the summer.
He didn't backstab us at all but his agent certainly used the organization we follow to get his client a bigger payday. Hats off to him!

But if you don't like what Kings fans have to say, don't read it. You don't have to come over here.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Parise09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
He didn't backstab us at all but his agent certainly used the organization we follow to get his client a bigger payday. Hats off to him!

But if you don't like what Kings fans have to say, don't read it. You don't have to come over here.
Isn't that an agents job?

Old
10-29-2010, 06:10 PM
onlyalad

No need to boo him. 20 million dollars buys a lot of ear plugs.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the booing at all. Knock yourself out with it, honestly. I just dislike the attitude of SOME LA fans who feel like Kovalchuk was their property and he somehow back-stabbed them..It gets tiresome. Did he make the right choice? Probably not. But 20 million, like you said, is a lot to turn down. The way Kings fans are acting, however, gets annoying. Almost like Rangers fans who think every big name free agent is going to sign with them in the summer.

Yeah, I don't mean to be comign off as a "troll" or anything, I'm just saying it how I see it. Fans like yourself, however, are knowledgeable of the situation and I didn't want to group all LA fans as the same. I was just trying to get across that he didn't backstab anyone or any team. Heck, he never played for LA, which is why i don't get the sense of entitlement or booing. Obviously he's a good player that you want on your team, but there are 29 other teams that could use him too. The Devils gave him the best offer, so he went with it. At the end of the day 20 million is 20 million.
I'm not really upset with Kovalchuk. He is just the most visible symbol of the BS that Lou pulled and continues to pull ever since the salary cap was put in place. This time his luck looks like it has run out. Not that the Devils have done jack anything since the lockout anyway.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Oops! Well in that case, I'd like to see him put a hurting on the Ducks
Devils are my 2nd favorite team in the NHL tonight.

Saturday night they drop back down into the 20-25 range.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Isn't that an agents job?
Sure it is. And like I said, hats off to him. But if I spend money to go see him play, I'm going to let him know that I, as a fan, think he made a bad choice. Is that ok with you?

I don't think the Kings are entitled to him or any other player. In fact, if you have followed this organization for any amount of time you would know that one of the biggest UFA signing of all time was Pavol Demitra after the lock out. That doesn't exaclty foster entitlement.

Kovalchuk tickled Kings fans ass with a feather. Hell he even stuck his pinky in by traveling out here to meet with the team. Well now I want to let him know he hurt my feelings. Got it?

EDIT: BTW.. how did you feel when Nylander signed in Washington because his wife didn't want to "move to Siberia"?

Old
10-29-2010, 06:17 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Could care less.

Kings are atop in the standings and that's all that matters. That in and of itself is a better F U to Kovalchuk.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:21 PM
dabeechman

Anybody who says that LA is better without Kovy is kidding themselves. LA still lacks a sniper and although they are doing very well, they are winning by hard work and execution. I still think if we land Semin in the offseason that we'll be just as well off as if we had Kovy.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:

Yeah, I don't mean to be comign off as a "troll" or anything, I'm just saying it how I see it. Fans like yourself, however, are knowledgeable of the situation and I didn't want to group all LA fans as the same. I was just trying to get across that he didn't backstab anyone or any team. Heck, he never played for LA, which is why i don't get the sense of entitlement or booing. Obviously he's a good player that you want on your team, but there are 29 other teams that could use him too. The Devils gave him the best offer, so he went with it. At the end of the day 20 million is 20 million.
I think some of the animosity comes due to the actions of his agent and the Devils' fans. The fans acted all off season that they had the cup wrapped up with Kovalchuk, even though everyone else was telling them that their defense sucks and they have no way to get the puck to he forwards in transition and generate scoring chances. They also acted like the contract wouldn't hurt because Lou will just trade Rolston, Zubrus and/or Salvador. Now they say Zubrus has been their best player and just wait until they get Salvador and Rolston back from injury, every thing will be fine and it is only 10 games into the season.

Kings fans just believe Kovalchuk made the wrong decision and since the fans can only rub it in his face once every couple of years, they want to take advantage of their first chance. Kovalchuk signing with the Devils doesn't really cause any problems for the Kings because they only face him once or twice per season. I highly doubt they will ever meet in the finals, the Devils are too old and are about to enter a re-build in a couple of seasons. Time will tell and Kovalchuk is still only 27 years old and if the Devils can re-build quickly, he still could get his ring.

I believe that Kovlachuk took money over his best chance to win a Stanley Cup. Devils' fans disagree, but so far it is looking good for the Kings and not Kovalchuk. I don't have a problem with Kovalchuk and the Kings will be just fine without him. The Kings lost Doughty and still have a strong team. Defensive depth is the name of the game in the "new" NHL, no need for 3 #1 LWs.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Parise09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Sure it is. And like I said, hats off to him. But if I spend money to go see him play, I'm going to let him know that I, as a fan, think he made a bad choice. Is that ok with you?

I don't think the Kings are entitled to him or any other player. In fact, if you have followed this organization for any amount of time you would know that one of the biggest UFA signing of all time was Pavol Demitra after the lock out. That doesn't exaclty foster entitlement.

Kovalchuk tickled Kings fans ass with a feather. Hell he even stuck his pinky in by traveling out here to meet with the team. Well now I want to let him know he hurt my feelings. Got it?

EDIT: BTW.. how did you feel when Nylander signed in Washington because his wife didn't want to "move to Siberia"?
I just said I don't care if you boo him.

Secondly, I was glad Nylander didn't sign. Knew it was a bad move from the start. I know I may have hurt your feelings, but no need to troll the Oilers.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Parise09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I think some of the animosity comes due to the actions of his agent and the Devils' fans. The fans acted all off season that they had the cup wrapped up with Kovalchuk, even though everyone else was telling them that their defense sucks and they have no way to get the puck to he forwards in transition and generate scoring chances. They also acted like the contract wouldn't hurt because Lou will just trade Rolston, Zubrus and/or Salvador. Now they say Zubrus has been their best player and just wait until they get Salvador and Rolston back from injury, every thing will be fine and it is only 10 games into the season.

Kings fans just believe Kovalchuk made the wrong decision and since the fans can only rub it in his face once every couple of years, they want to take advantage of their first chance. Kovalchuk signing with the Devils doesn't really cause any problems for the Kings because they only face him once or twice per season. I highly doubt they will ever meet in the finals, the Devils are too old and are about to enter a re-build in a couple of seasons. Time will tell and Kovalchuk is still only 27 years old and if the Devils can re-build quickly, he still could get his ring.

I believe that Kovlachuk took money over his best chance to win a Stanley Cup. Devils' fans disagree, but so far it is looking good for the Kings and not Kovalchuk. I don't have a problem with Kovalchuk and the Kings will be just fine without him. The Kings lost Doughty and still have a strong team. Defensive depth is the name of the game in the "new" NHL, no need for 3 #1 LWs.
La would have been better with Kovy no doubt though. But for the money, I think LA is in a better position not signing him. No need to hold a grudge on a player who decided that 20 million was too much to give up. Had similar offers been made, I have no doubt that Kovy would have signed with the Kings.

Old
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Anybody who says that LA is better without Kovy is kidding themselves. LA still lacks a sniper and although they are doing very well, they are winning by hard work and execution. I still think if we land Semin in the offseason that we'll be just as well off as if we had Kovy.
Defensive depth > snipers. Dean probably doesn't sign Mitchell if they signed Kovalchuk. With Doughty out and no Mitchell, our defense doesn't look as good as it does now. Maybe the Kings go 1-4 on the road trip without Doughty, too many variables to claim the Kings would definitely be better with Kovalchuk.

I'm happy with the way the Kings are built. I would rather have money spent on the defense than LWs. Just ask the Devils' fans if their team plays together. I know the Kings do. Is this Kovalchuk's fault, probably not, but he doesn't help their situation very much. Lou has been terrible since the cap was put in place, that is a fact.

Old
Orenji

Kings would be better with Kovy, but if he was on the team right now, I think we have a slower start.

We still need a top line winger, and I hope we address that with a trade this season, but who knows. All I know is that if we continue playing good and keep in the top three of the West, it'll be much easier to land a big fish here during the middle of the year who wants to try and get deep in the playoffs.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:29 PM
timmeh

Quote:
Agreed. I actually think that we'd be better off with Semin than Kovalchuk

Old
10-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Okay this is for all you folks that like to kick somebody when they are down.

Word is that Lou is in So. Cal for the games this weekend.
Lou usually goes on the West Coast trips with the team. Usually spot him at some point, even got an awkward photo with him in Anaheim in 2006. The last time the Devils were in LA, they signed the recently unfrozen Brendan Shanahan.

Quote:
Do any of you have any old or heck even new Disney Mouse Ears?

Say a Kings' player gets a hat trick, or just even if the Kings win the game. It might be kind of fun to see some Mouse Ears on the ice.

If you don't get it, google Wayne Gretzky and Mickey Mouse. Lou will get it for sure. I would never do this. Hope I can find those Mouse Ears in the closet tonight...
The Mickey Mouse game was several years before Lou took over, but I'm sure he'd get the insinuation. Although the "Have another donut!" game was under Lou's watch, but throwing donuts on the ice would be a waste of perfectly good donuts.

Good sign to bring would be "Fire, Re-Hire Larry Robinson".

Old
10-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Parise09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
Agreed. I actually think that we'd be better off with Semin than Kovalchuk
And he will cost much less

Old
10-29-2010, 06:38 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Lou usually goes on the West Coast trips with the team. Usually spot him at some point, even got an awkward photo with him in Anaheim in 2006. The last time the Devils were in LA, they signed the recently unfrozen Brendan Shanahan.

The Mickey Mouse game was several years before Lou took over, but I'm sure he'd get the insinuation. Although the "Have another donut!" game was under Lou's watch, but throwing donuts on the ice would be a waste of perfectly good donuts.

Good sign to bring would be "Fire, Re-Hire Larry Robinson".
Brodeur you're always cool and have great insight into the game and the Devils.

Thanks.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
I'm curious to see how much Semin will get if offered say a 5-7 year deal. Is Semin in the Gaborik range (5 years, 37.5 mil)?

Old
10-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I just said I don't care if you boo him.

Secondly, I was glad Nylander didn't sign. Knew it was a bad move from the start. I know I may have hurt your feelings, but no need to troll the Oilers.
Well I'm glad I have your approval Doris. You are the one on the Kings board questioning why Kings fans are.mad. I'm not trolling the Oilers. I was making a comparison. Clearly your intellect and level of class is higher than that of kings fans.

So how did you feel about Pronger?

Old
10-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Kingler

hmmm i guess, what else is he supposed to say under the circumstance when a reporter ask you those questions?

As for booing...i just don't see him deserving of such thing. He got around $20m more, who in their right mind would not take the extra $20m? Plus its not like he uses us to drive the price up and signed with NJ, he already got the offer from NJ when he came to LA

Old
10-29-2010, 06:42 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I'm curious to see how much Semin will get if offered say a 5-7 year deal. Is Semin in the Gaborik range (5 years, 37.5 mil)?
It would seem that way. Though I could see him getting more term due to his lack of injury history.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:44 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
It will be less, but not by a lot. Depends on his season, but he is a 40g/80pt guy. He won't come much less than 6.66m a year.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:48 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Defensive depth > snipers. Dean probably doesn't sign Mitchell if they signed Kovalchuk.
Mitchell filled a hole that DL previously said needed to be filled, so I doubt that seriously.

Defensive depth is obviously more important, but snipers (as in plural)? Sweetheart, we need to have one first. Kopi is the closest thing that we have, and I wouldn't peg him as a sniper. We still lack a legi first line winger. We have a solid roster otherwise.

Old
10-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Parise09*

Quote:
It will be less, but not by a lot. Depends on his season, but he is a 40g/80pt guy. He won't come much less than 6.66m a year.
Yes, but he's not going to demand a lifetime contract, I assume, which is the deal-breaker.

Closed Thread