HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zherdev Demoted (update: healthy scratch for October 29)

Old
10-29-2010, 01:37 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Somebody please explain the JVR manlove going around here? Dude seems invisible at times out there...
JVR so far this year is kinda where Giroux was for most of last year. Expectations were really high, and frankly are even higher for JVR. Still, JVR is working and will start getting points.

As far as goals alone, that pace is going to ramp up progressively I think. He's getting better in tight, which will add to the goal-scoring pace. He's got a good wrist shot, but waits to long to shoot it and gives the goalie time. He'll get faster with that gradually, and that will also add to the pace.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:25 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
What has Zherdev done to justify all this love? 2 goals in 9 games without a hint of defense or forechecking or work ethic in sight.

Sounds like a keeper!

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
What has Zherdev done to justify all this love? 2 goals in 9 games without a hint of defense or forechecking or work ethic in sight.

Sounds like a keeper!
Hey, hey, lay off the goalies.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:33 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

Sounds like a keeper!
His production pace amounts to 18 goals over 82 games. I never expected him to score more than 25, so he's pretty much as advertised, really.

I'm not surprised he's been demoted given Lavi's personality and expectations from his players.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:43 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
His production pace amounts to 18 goals over 82 games. I never expected him to score more than 25, so he's pretty much as advertised, really.

I'm not surprised he's been demoted given Lavi's personality and expectations from his players.
Not to get all preachy, but a guy like Zherdev goes against everything the Flyers have ever stood for going back to their founding.

I mean, as a franchise, we've been built on hard work and physical play and I think that carries over to the team today, even smaller guys like Kimmo and Giroux will get physical, use their bodies, and sacrifice. Zherdev doesn't fit into that at all. His laziness is appalling and quite frankly, much worse than I expected. I've lost track of the amount of times he's given the puck up needlessly in the offensive zone or not supported a teammate on the forecheck. As any hockey player will tell you, there's nothing more frustrating than winning a battle, knocking the puck loose, and then seeing your teammate standing 15 feet away not bothering to engage.

Sure he'll dazzle with a brief flash of skill every now and then, but this guy has only made the POs once (and didn't record a single point in a 7 game series) and has already gotten 3 Stanley Cup winning coaches to at the very least, dislike him.

The whole idea of bringing him in in the first place was moronic, it's astounding to me that he can lay a turd like he has these first 9 games and then complain about ice time, but that's just the kind of guy he is.

**** him, we'd be better moving on without him.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:49 PM
DutchDennis

on Yahoo there is a message that Havlat is not happy in Minnesota. What about a trade of Havlat - Zherdev + (either Walker or Carcillo)???

DutchDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDennis View Post
on Yahoo there is a message that Havlat is not happy in Minnesota. What about a trade of Havlat - Zherdev + (either Walker or Carcillo)???
Not only would Minnesota never do that Havlat get's paid $5M a year so we can't fit that under the cap.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:03 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Yea, if him being a healthy scratch doesn't fire him up this is def gonna be his last and only year in the orange.

We just cannot keep russian players... except for bob.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:05 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I dont see how Holmgren or Lavi expected Zherdev to be a changed player. Just let him play and be himself and get 50 points. We all know he is an enigma, and im sure coaches have tried being hard on him before to no cuccess

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:10 PM
blah

Giving up on a player that talented this early in the season is a mistake. He didn't play in NA last season. And was only getting 12mpg. I can see sitting him out against PIT, but to start jerking him around the way they appear ready to do is a waste.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:55 PM
RoDu

So Zherdev gets demoted due to poor play in own end and without the puck, Zherdev complains to Holmgren about ice time, Zherdev gets benched?

RoDu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Flyguy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
So Zherdev gets demoted due to poor play in own end and without the puck, Zherdev complains to Holmgren about ice time, Zherdev gets benched?
Holmer looks like he is taking 30 zannies and paxil on top of it, homer needs to go and so does this coach, send him to his kids peewee team... Zerdev just played his best game and now they bench him??? WTF is that about?

Flyguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:31 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Homer is a dumbass. And for just this one time I will say Laviolette is a dumbass too.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:50 PM
MsWoof

So does Zherdev play against the Isles? The team looked good tonight without him and Carcillo scored a goal in Zherdev's place. I say, leave him out.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:19 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

I still want Zherdev in there, I still believe in him. If he would actually get PP time, he would start producing more

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Mosetter27

Man, i was so pissed tonight when I found out that Zed wasn't playing... Lavi's son told me... I was at open Roller hockey at the Vorhees skate zone, his son (lavi's) was playing there and even though hes like 14 and im 21 i got talking to him cause he really knows his ****, and he told me Zed was sitting out tonight, i asked why he said he didnt hear why when his dad was on the phone... not to combine 2 threads but he also said Emery will never wear a flyers jersey again.. UNLESS Bobrovsky goes back to KHL, & Leighton retires or dosent come back... and thats still if Ray E. is able to come back...

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:45 PM
CSKA1974

You can't have it both ways. You can't complain about lack of Z deffensive skills, lack of chemistry and be upset about him being benched in "all in" kind of game.

Don't get me wrong, I like Z as a player, but he has not fit well yet with the TEAM and he has not played yet with the heart. Ant rather than complain, he should take a long and serious look at himself- looking pretty on the ice and having some mad skills will not get you far in a total team approach to the game. Great job by coaching staff by placing the team first.

CSKA1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 08:41 AM
KaraLupin
카라

LOL @ you guys.

It's to teach him to earn his linemates, and to add more grit to his game by being around real grinders.

He's not gonna keep him there when he starts to play like a flyer. And if he doesn't, what use is he gonna do on a scoring line anyways. Keep him in the cellar until he shows he would actually improve our top 6 instead of weakening it.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
You can't have it both ways. You can't complain about lack of Z deffensive skills, lack of chemistry and be upset about him being benched in "all in" kind of game.

Don't get me wrong, I like Z as a player, but he has not fit well yet with the TEAM and he has not played yet with the heart. Ant rather than complain, he should take a long and serious look at himself- looking pretty on the ice and having some mad skills will not get you far in a total team approach to the game. Great job by coaching staff by placing the team first.
You do? I mean he has the skill and he can dangle, got to love his skating and puck control. But once he makes that bad pass (by the way that happens way too often) he is out of play. He does not care it's been like that since and ever before he came to NHL for the 1st time.

love your avatar.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:03 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Yes, so if we dig into him at the beginning of the season, hopefully we can correct his wrongs and re-train him. Then he will hopefully be performing hard enough to be on a scoring line.

Zherdev wasn't here last year when Lavi took over and retaught the boys that extra bit of hustle that made them able to come back and perform so well at the end of season and playoffs, so he's just doing his homework now.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy74 View Post
Holmer looks like he is taking 30 zannies and paxil on top of it, homer needs to go and so does this coach, send him to his kids peewee team... Zerdev just played his best game and now they bench him??? WTF is that about?
Uhh, yeah, I don't think so. Lavy is probably one of the best coaches in the league.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Garbage Goal

Yeah, anyone could have seen this kind of play coming (aside from Homer apparently). So I'm not sure what the organization expects. It's not like no one has ever tried this with him before. It's also not the first questionable roster decision Laviolette has made so far this season, which worries me a bit.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, anyone could have seen this kind of play coming (aside from Homer apparently). So I'm not sure what the organization expects. It's not like no one has ever tried this with him before. It's also not the first questionable roster decision Laviolette has made so far this season, which worries me a bit.
Has he played even 1 game with the same line mates? That is what frustrates me, no steady guys to play with

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:37 AM
rban*

Cripes, I am not happy. I thought Flyers had loaded up this year and will be a real wrecking team, but so many problems with offense:

1. this Z situation, which I had a strong idea would occur given the guy's history;
2. Carter.
3. JVR, which IMO is the least worrisome cuz he is still young and so is the season.. it's just a case of too much expectations too fast...

But tween em all, that's three of the Top 9, equivalent to an entire forward line, not performing at all.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Lavi is feeling this all out... and has admitted as much. The fact that he's publicly admitted to not being exactly sure what he wants to do with everyone makes me feel better about it.

I just wish they'd put Carter at LW if they're so committed to him being on one of the wings...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote