HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Much Hatred

Old
10-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Decklann

vCash: 500
So Much Hatred

Why do so many people hate Leighton? I understand hes not better then Boucher, but everyone acts like he is the worst Goalie ever.

Decklann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:59 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decklann View Post
Why do so many people hate Leighton? I understand hes not better then Boucher, but everyone acts like he is the worst Goalie ever.
he quite possibly is

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:01 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
because people rate players by how they look on paper. And on paper, he was a journeyman waiver pickup who's struggled to stay in the NHL his entire career.

You could kinda tell the Flyers felt this too, the way they cleared out the juicy rebounds he left last season. But if it takes an awful goalie to come in and give the defense a kick in the ass, then so be it.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
i'm not sure if you saw him play, but he's pretty awful

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:05 AM
RoDu

He is to the Flyers that Lin Elliot is to Chiefs fans

Old
10-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
He is to the Flyers that Lin Elliot is to Chiefs fans
He is to he Flyers what Michael Leighton is to...the Flyers?

Old
10-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Garbage Goal

Because he sucks.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Decklann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i'm not sure if you saw him play, but he's pretty awful
I have seen him play. I remember seeing the guy with the neon yellow/green hoodie at every home game. I broke my fan by punching it when Kane scored too. I just don't think hes so bad. I guess I liked him because I was a new goalie and I wanted someone to look up to in the NHL. I guess Leighton was just the first guy I saw. I sure as hell wasn't going to like Broduer or Fluery and they were really all the good goalies I knew about because I was a winger before the playoffs.

Old
10-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
He was better than Boucher last season, who was playing like a hot mess. That was good enough to make Michael Leighton the second worst goalie in the NHL ..

Now onto why we really don't like him. First off, I am sort of a fan of Michael Leighton the person. I could be a fan of Michael Leighton the back up goalie....

I want to punch Michael Leighton the starter right in the gonads. Michael Leighton should not be in net against Stanley Cup quality opposition if you expect to win games.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He is to he Flyers what Michael Leighton is to...the Flyers?

I love how at 21 seconds Gagne is standing over Leighton with his palms turned up, looking in the goal to see if the pucks really there. He can't believe it. Then he just skates away like: "You ****in kidding me?"

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:21 AM
Decklann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He was better than Boucher last season, who was playing like a hot mess. That was good enough to make Michael Leighton the second worst goalie in the NHL ..

Now onto why we really don't like him. First off, I am sort of a fan of Michael Leighton the person. I could be a fan of Michael Leighton the back up goalie....

I want to punch Michael Leighton the starter right in the gonads. Michael Leighton should not be in net against Stanley Cup quality opposition if you expect to win games.
OK, that sounded more reasonable. You guys don't like him because he wasn't good enough to be playing in the finals. My opinion has changed and my favorite goalie is no longer Leighton (I'm undecided on a new favorite though). I just wanted to know why everyone hated him when I used to admire him.

Old
10-30-2010, 01:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
OK, that sounded more reasonable. You guys don't like him because he wasn't good enough to be playing in the finals. My opinion has changed and my favorite goalie is no longer Leighton (I'm undecided on a new favorite though). I just wanted to know why everyone hated him when I used to admire him.
i mean, no reason to not be a fan of the guy just because we don't think he's an adequate goalie. he did accomplish a nice little cinderella story.

edit: but yeah he's not fit to start anywhere.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Flyerfan4life

keep in mind for every person here whos a leighton hater there are tons of people out there that like him..

form your own opinion..

personaly i'm a huge fan and im looking forward to his return..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Jester

I don't hate Leighton. Seems like a nice guy, and is what he is.

I hate Paul Holmgren for signing Leighton to be our starter.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:05 AM
MsWoof

I don't hate him. I don't think he's much of a goalie but that's not his fault. He was brought in because Emery got hurt and the team did well with him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I have asked this question before. The reason people hate him is because he is Michael Leighton. He could win the Vezina and the Conn Smythe and Cup and people would still say he sucks because his name is Michael Leighton. He put up solid numbers and helped the team make the Cup last year, but his name is Michael Leighton so people will never be on his side. I'm not saying he is great or will ever win those awards, but if he did, there would still be people saying he sucks.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:47 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't hate Leighton. Seems like a nice guy, and is what he is.

I hate Paul Holmgren for signing Leighton to be our starter.
Exactly. Don't hate the player, hate the GM.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:52 AM

I saw him win 16 games for us with a .918 overall. But yeh, he's just about the worst goalie ever......

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I saw him win 16 games for us with a .918 overall. But yeh, he's just about the worst goalie ever......
Hedberg went 21-16-6 .915 for the Thrashers last year... I didn't want to sign him as our starter either.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I have asked this question before. The reason people hate him is because he is Michael Leighton. He could win the Vezina and the Conn Smythe and Cup and people would still say he sucks because his name is Michael Leighton. He put up solid numbers and helped the team make the Cup last year, but his name is Michael Leighton so people will never be on his side. I'm not saying he is great or will ever win those awards, but if he did, there would still be people saying he sucks.

it has nothing to do with his name. it has everything to do with his skill level. he simply doesnt have what it takes to be a starter. the fact that he hurt his back last year after having some semblance of a starting schedule proves that.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hedberg went 21-16-6 .915 for the Thrashers last year... I didn't want to sign him as our starter either.
Aye, but i'm pretty sure that Hedberg doesn't receive quite the level of ridiculous vitriol that Leighton does.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:00 PM
RoDu

Leighton's numbers were a byproduct of the players in front of him. When they were negated by Chicago, we saw him for who he is.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Aye, but i'm pretty sure that Hedberg doesn't receive quite the level of ridiculous vitriol that Leighton does.
Hedberg also wasn't signed to be the starting goalie for a SCF. Hedberg also didn't let in possibly the weakest SC clinching goal ever in the history of hockey. Hedberg also isn't over-payed and signed for two years at 1.55 mil.

Makes perfect sense that Leighton would get more criticism then Hedberg.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Leighton's numbers were a byproduct of the players in front of him. When they were negated by Chicago, we saw him for who he is.
That's such a cop out. Again, I'm not saying that he is a great goalie or anything like that. But he played well last season, regardless of who was in front him. Yes, it obviously helped having one of the best defenses out there, but for most of the year Boucher was terrible behind that very same defense, yet everyone seems to favor Boosh over Leighton. Leighton played well last season and in the playoffs. When he gets back from injury I expect him to be the starter and play the same. He won't win any awards, but he's a solid goalie.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's such a cop out. Again, I'm not saying that he is a great goalie or anything like that. But he played well last season, regardless of who was in front him. Yes, it obviously helped having one of the best defenses out there, but for most of the year Boucher was terrible behind that very same defense, yet everyone seems to favor Boosh over Leighton. Leighton played well last season and in the playoffs. When he gets back from injury I expect him to be the starter and play the same. He won't win any awards, but he's a solid goalie.
boucher was NOT terrible. there were many losses credited to him where he allowed only 1 or 2 goals, and the offense scored zero. in fact, during that long suck streak, boucher was often the bright spot in games, as the only person to show up to play.