HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Emery update

Old
10-29-2010, 11:18 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Emery update

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rre&id=5738598

Quote:
TORONTO -- Sometime next week, Ray Emery will don his goalie equipment and hit the ice for the first time since undergoing surgery last spring to fix a hip injury that odds are should have ended his NHL career.

It may still. But not without a fight.

As far as anyone can tell, no NHL player has come back from the type of hip surgery the 28-year-old underwent in April. Diagnosed with avascular necrosis -- essentially, the top of the ball in his right hip deteriorated to its core -- Emery underwent an elaborate operation that featured bone grafted from his lower leg being inserted in the ball of his hip. In the past, his condition would have necessitated a full hip replacement, but this very specialized procedure avoided that.

"Usually when you have this type of thing done, they just want you to walk again," Emery told ESPN.com Thursday during a break in his rehab in downtown Toronto.

Maybe so, Emery thought, but he wasn't ready to give up on his NHL career. He told the doctor, David Ruch at Duke University Medical Center (one of the few in North America who performs this type of surgery), that he had higher hopes.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-29-2010 at 05:04 PM.
jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Mgkibbles

If Ray Emery had been healthy for all of last year, the Flyers would've won the Cup; no doubt, he was fantastic last year when he wasn't nagged by injury.

And this goes without saying, but I really hope he can play again, and more importantly live a healthy life.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:29 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
If Ray Emery had been healthy for all of last year, the Flyers would've won the Cup; no doubt, he was fantastic last year when he wasn't nagged by injury.

And this goes without saying, but I really hope he can play again, and more importantly live a healthy life.
I agree, but I also think if the Flyers had made a trade to NYI for Roloson or Biron, we would have won the cup as well. I hope Ray can make some sort of comeback. But for us normal folk, people are lucky to walk without a limp after that surgery. Just goes to show you how freakish professional athletes can be.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Thanks for posting that. I'm pulling for Ray. I thought he was gonna do real well here. Hip injuries suck.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:31 AM
JCameron418

Always been a fan of Emery. If somehow he were to have a complete recovery I'd love for him to get another shot in a Flyers Jersey.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Flyguys22

Emery not going down without a fight

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rre&id=5738598

Found this interesting .....

"I enjoyed Ray when he was here, I thought he played well for us," Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said Thursday. "It's something that if he were able to come back and play, we'd certainly have interest in talking to him."

Flyguys22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:53 PM
ThePolishOne24

Gettin Emery again would be sick. That is if he is really healthy... Just look at the beginning of last year pre him getting hurt. His numbers were dirty

ThePolishOne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Mr Oysterhead

There's another thread going on about this as well.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=835578

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Flyguys22

thanks, i didnt see that ... just wanted to let people know the news

Flyguys22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Flyer at heart too. Come on Ray, I really hope he makes it back.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Flyer at heart too. Come on Ray, I really hope he makes it back.
Back where? Back to the NHL or Flyers?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:00 AM
KaraLupin
카라

We woulda won Cup for sure with a healthy Emery, but that is all behind us now.

I don't think he will be able to perform at NHL level, if any level at all. If he does manage, he will just be able to play like he was when he was playing with injuries last season. Which really with Leighton and Bob doesn't amount to a back-up position with our club.

I admire his dedication and love for the sport, but he's gonna see when he puts on his equipment...

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:03 AM
PhillyCurt12

best of luck to the 'black hole' as my friends and i affectionately called him. i hope he gets to play hockey again, even though it's unlikely it will be in the O&B

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:13 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Always been a fan of Emery. If somehow he were to have a complete recovery I'd love for him to get another shot in a Flyers Jersey.
Agreed 100%. And I think things are going good so far with Bob, but it can't hurt to help him recover and maybe get his career back, and he was fantastic last year when he wasn't injured. If he can get back to that, I'd welcome him back with open arms.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:50 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Once he recovers from his hip injury he'll reinjure it shortly. Have you seen the quality of tail he chases?

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:50 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post

Erm........ Leighton had a 2.46GAA, 3 shutouts and a .916%, just how good would you have expected Emery to have been? Aside from that goal, Leighton was exceptional.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:17 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Erm........ Leighton had a 2.46GAA, 3 shutouts and a .916%, just how good would you have expected Emery to have been? Aside from that goal, Leighton was exceptional.
And here's a good example of how numbers can fool you.

SV% In 3 games vs. Boston: .949
SV% in Montreal series: 0.959
SV% in Chicago series: .858

All 3 shutouts came against only Montreal. No one else.

On top of the numbers showing it, Leighton (and the Flyers) got lit up by Chicago.

Your phrase should be "aside from that series." And no, I'm not a Leighton hater.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
And here's a good example of how numbers can fool you.

SV% In 3 games vs. Boston: .949
SV% in Montreal series: 0.959
SV% in Chicago series: .858

All 3 shutouts came against only Montreal. No one else.

On top of the numbers showing it, Leighton (and the Flyers) got lit up by Chicago.

Your phrase should be "aside from that series." And no, I'm not a Leighton hater.
With Emery in goal, who says we'd have even reached the final? Leighton flat out won games for us on the way.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:35 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
With Emery in goal, who says we'd have even reached the final? Leighton flat out won games for us on the way.
I'm not a wizard so I can't predict anything.

But if you look at his game log:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.ht...0&view=gamelog

You can see except for 2 games early on he didn't have a game where he gave up more than 3 goals until November 20, while racking up 11 wins in 16 games. And from what I remember he looked great. November 20th is when things start to go nuts, and that's likely when he was playing injured. 5 games in that span until he's announced as injured on December 8. Something was obviously up to just **** the bed that quickly.

Then he comes back and plays great again (except for a game or two) until the big injury.

It's a big "What if?" but there's nothing from not just his stats but from watching him play that made me think he could have gotten the Flyers the Cup last year. But that's personal opinion.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:45 AM

Aye, i know it's all conjecture but i truly don't believe Emery would have made much of a difference. What would have helped would have been the likes of Hartnell or Carter turning up.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Jester

Goaltending, in truth, had very little to do with us cutting through the Devils and Montreal, and, really, even Boston. Boston beats us if Richards doesn't take out their best offensive threat. All three teams were anemic offensively, and with Pronger and Timonen back there on different pairings we had a big time advantage.

When we finally faced a truly threatening offense, the house of cards that was our goalie showed up big time.

Emery would have performed better if healthy most likely -- he's a better goalie than Leighton or Boucher -- and if Niemi performed to the same level, we probably win the Cup. That being said, Niemi appeared to be playing down to Leighton a bit... when it really mattered, he got his act together and made some big saves shutting the door.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
leighton didnt face many good offenses in the regular season either, and when he did, he got chased, and boosh took the loss.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:54 AM
jb**

With emery in goal the seedings in the east would have been different. The flyers probably wouldnt have had the matchups they had. If you want to say if they had emery instead of leighton in the finals they probably would have won, then i agree. All the other stuff has way to many variables to suggest they would have won the cup.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
With emery in goal the seedings in the east would have been different. The flyers probably wouldnt have had the matchups they had. If you want to say if they had emery instead of leighton in the finals they probably would have won, then i agree. All the other stuff has way to many variables to suggest they would have won the cup.
This is true as well... if Emery doesn't get hurt, we are probably in the 4-6 range.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:17 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Montreal was gassed after knocking out Pittsburgh and Washington. They did nothing to put pressure on Leighton nor did they attack the net. They were offensively a perimeter team at that point, and Halak had come down to earth hard

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote