HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter & Flyers making progress on extension

Old
10-30-2010, 10:55 AM

vCash: 50
It's unfortunate that not all contract extensions are sure things mate, but the vast majority are a gamble. It was a good gamble to take and Richards at 5.7 (or something like) for the rest of his career is an excellent price.

You can't talk down the deal because it was a gamble is my point. They all are, the best contracts in history are the ones that work out.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
It's unfortunate that not all contract extensions are sure things mate, but the vast majority are a gamble. It was a good gamble to take and Richards at 5.7 (or something like) for the rest of his career is an excellent price.

You can't talk down the deal because it was a gamble is my point. They all are, the best contracts in history are the ones that work out.
Who is talking it down? I'm just noting that it wasn't a "steal." You can't cite that contract as evidence that Holmgren has a track record of making good cap moves... You can't talk up the deal just because you like the player.

Is Kovalchuk's deal a steal? The going rate cap hit for a player of his ilk is at least 7M.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:31 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Who is talking it down? I'm just noting that it wasn't a "steal." You can't cite that contract as evidence that Holmgren has a track record of making good cap moves... You can't talk up the deal just because you like the player.

Is Kovalchuk's deal a steal? The going rate cap hit for a player of his ilk is at least 7M.
Kovalchuck's deal has more ramifications to it then just a cap hit; 2 picks lost and a 3million fine.

It depends on what you think a steal is? I mean at what point would you consider it a steal? 4mil, 3mil?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:09 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I wouldn't really call that contract a "steal."
Did he sign that contract before or after his 80 point season? Because if it was after then it was a steal. For what he does, being a PPG player while being a top 3 Defensive in the NHL I think 5.7 is a steal. Hopefully Carter gets a fair contract but if he becomes our highest paid player I won't be too happy about it.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Did he sign that contract before or after his 80 point season? Because if it was after then it was a steal. For what he does, being a PPG player while being a top 3 Defensive in the NHL I think 5.7 is a steal. Hopefully Carter gets a fair contract but if he becomes our highest paid player I won't be too happy about it.
It was during. He was signed that December. While the contract isn't bad by any means, I agree with Jester that it wasn't really a steal either. He was given a franchise contract before he performed to that level for even a full season.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Kovalchuck's deal has more ramifications to it then just a cap hit; 2 picks lost and a 3million fine.

It depends on what you think a steal is? I mean at what point would you consider it a steal? 4mil, 3mil?
Those are kind of independent to whether the contract Kovy is currently playing on is a "steal." The context of the entire thing is ridiculous.

5.75M a year for a guy that has been a PPG player in consecutive seasons... seems pretty fair. He is a very good player being paid like a very good player.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote