HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter & Flyers making progress on extension

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2010, 10:55 AM
  #151
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,194
vCash: 50
It's unfortunate that not all contract extensions are sure things mate, but the vast majority are a gamble. It was a good gamble to take and Richards at 5.7 (or something like) for the rest of his career is an excellent price.

You can't talk down the deal because it was a gamble is my point. They all are, the best contracts in history are the ones that work out.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:58 AM
  #152
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
It's unfortunate that not all contract extensions are sure things mate, but the vast majority are a gamble. It was a good gamble to take and Richards at 5.7 (or something like) for the rest of his career is an excellent price.

You can't talk down the deal because it was a gamble is my point. They all are, the best contracts in history are the ones that work out.
Who is talking it down? I'm just noting that it wasn't a "steal." You can't cite that contract as evidence that Holmgren has a track record of making good cap moves... You can't talk up the deal just because you like the player.

Is Kovalchuk's deal a steal? The going rate cap hit for a player of his ilk is at least 7M.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:31 PM
  #153
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Who is talking it down? I'm just noting that it wasn't a "steal." You can't cite that contract as evidence that Holmgren has a track record of making good cap moves... You can't talk up the deal just because you like the player.

Is Kovalchuk's deal a steal? The going rate cap hit for a player of his ilk is at least 7M.
Kovalchuck's deal has more ramifications to it then just a cap hit; 2 picks lost and a 3million fine.

It depends on what you think a steal is? I mean at what point would you consider it a steal? 4mil, 3mil?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:09 PM
  #154
CanadianFlyersFan18
Registered User
 
CanadianFlyersFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I wouldn't really call that contract a "steal."
Did he sign that contract before or after his 80 point season? Because if it was after then it was a steal. For what he does, being a PPG player while being a top 3 Defensive in the NHL I think 5.7 is a steal. Hopefully Carter gets a fair contract but if he becomes our highest paid player I won't be too happy about it.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:19 PM
  #155
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Did he sign that contract before or after his 80 point season? Because if it was after then it was a steal. For what he does, being a PPG player while being a top 3 Defensive in the NHL I think 5.7 is a steal. Hopefully Carter gets a fair contract but if he becomes our highest paid player I won't be too happy about it.
It was during. He was signed that December. While the contract isn't bad by any means, I agree with Jester that it wasn't really a steal either. He was given a franchise contract before he performed to that level for even a full season.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:23 PM
  #156
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Kovalchuck's deal has more ramifications to it then just a cap hit; 2 picks lost and a 3million fine.

It depends on what you think a steal is? I mean at what point would you consider it a steal? 4mil, 3mil?
Those are kind of independent to whether the contract Kovy is currently playing on is a "steal." The context of the entire thing is ridiculous.

5.75M a year for a guy that has been a PPG player in consecutive seasons... seems pretty fair. He is a very good player being paid like a very good player.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.