HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maroon is being removed from the organization (Holmgren quoted, post #101)

Old
10-30-2010, 11:23 AM
CanadianFlyersFan18

vCash: 500
I saw him in the last preseason game in Buffalo (where the Flyers got killed!) and he didn't impress me what so ever. Buffalo started their NHL roster and the Flyers they're AHL and he just simply couldn't keep up. Sure he has great hands but if he can't get to the open ice or to puck races he will never succeed at the NHL level. His skating is actually worse than Superstars. With that being said if he ever got that down pat he would be an NHLer for sure because he has all the other tools. I wish him the best of luck.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:28 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, that was an idiotic attempt to deal with an immediate problem... they weren't able to call up anyone if someone was hurt and it wasn't a LTIR situation. As you might recall, they had to send Giroux down when Timonen got the flu for a couple of games. Of course, the actual cap gains there were squat... so by the end of the year they were playing an ATO in a crucial game.

If the issue was the following year, then (I pray!) Holmgren could have waited and gotten better value over the summer.
If that's the case, then they killed 2 birds with 1 stone by dealing Upshall. Fixed an immediate problem and a problem in the off-season by losing him to Free Agency.

And from Holmgren's track record, your last statement is probably wrong.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:31 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Lame.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
If that's the case, then they killed 2 birds with 1 stone by dealing Upshall. Fixed an immediate problem and a problem in the off-season by losing him to Free Agency.

And from Holmgren's track record, your last statement is probably wrong.
I agree, but I also don't think Homer was thinking about the next year at the time.. they had a severe cap problem at the deadline after Briere came back. They had lost Metro and Vaananen, and that hadn't even solved what was going on. And whether they valued Carcillo or not, he certainly isn't worth Upshall AND a 2nd... they would have been able to get a pick(s) for Upshall a few months later... and Upshall would have helped that team more than Carcillo the rest of the way that year.

Trade still pisses me off. Dealing Upshall for cap space made sense (unfortunate that it was a self-inflicted wound), but then get some damn cap space out of the deal. Same damn thing happened with Gagne this summer and Walker... don't get a guy back!

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:34 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

This thread isn't about Upshall, who cares?

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Terence Peterman

When did he develop an attitude problem? I thought his attitude had turned since really committing and losing the weight.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I agree, but I also don't think Homer was thinking about the next year at the time.. they had a severe cap problem at the deadline after Briere came back. They had lost Metro and Vaananen, and that hadn't even solved what was going on. And whether they valued Carcillo or not, he certainly isn't worth Upshall AND a 2nd... they would have been able to get a pick(s) for Upshall a few months later... and Upshall would have helped that team more than Carcillo the rest of the way that year.

Trade still pisses me off. Dealing Upshall for cap space made sense (unfortunate that it was a self-inflicted wound), but then get some damn cap space out of the deal. Same damn thing happened with Gagne this summer and Walker... don't get a guy back!
That's your opinion. I think otherwise. I don't think next year's deal was the sole factor but I believe it factored into the deal in some form. I also think loyalty to the players factored in, like I said, it was a good move for Upshall's career and they wanted to help him rather than just rot away on the 3rd line where he couldn't blossum, so they helped him out.

And Quacker, good point also.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:40 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
When did he develop an attitude problem? I thought his attitude had turned since really committing and losing the weight.
You mis-read it. He had a fattitude problem.

Can we also argue that the Flyers trimmed some fat last night?

A-zing!

Old
10-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Norm MacDonald

Removed from the organization!? But now that cancerous whale will never be on the Flyers! Damn you, Holmgren

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:41 AM
jb**

Quote:
That's your opinion. I think otherwise. I don't think next year's deal was the sole factor but I believe it factored into the deal in some form. I also think loyalty to the players factored in, like I said, it was a good move for Upshall's career and they wanted to help him rather than just rot away on the 3rd line where he couldn't blossum, so they helped him out.

And Quacker, good point also.
laughable imo

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:45 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Only thing McManus kind of has is that something happened in the locker room.

I would guess physical confrontation, given the limited amount of truly controversial things that would happen in the locker room.

Can anyone think of another time this organization has done something like this?
We don't know the specifics here but as far as locker room antics, there was something nasty attributed to Pete Peeters which didn't immediately signal his end with the organization but likely contributed to a change of scenery.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Upshall wasn't dealt because of cap space, it was for projected cap space. He was undoubtedly going to want more money the following year and for a 3rd line player it wasn't worth it when you could get someone like Carcillo to do that role. We essentially traded him as a rental to Phoenix.

On top of that it's probably better for him. Phoenix has a lot of young guys and Upshall is getting 1st/2nd line minutes over there. For his career it was a great move.
For the next season, they gained less than $400K. Upshall was making $1.2? I think? and Carcillo was $893+. Of course Upshall was going to want more money, but you cross that road when you get to it. Phoenix was out of it, so they weren't jumping through hoops trying to find a scorer for the rest of the season.

And I don't buy the "he was going to be a 3rd liner." This is an organization who wants their 3rd line to be as potent offensively as the first two. Around that time, they had Giroux and Powe on the 3rd line, so in actuality they should have needed Upshall's scoring (although he wasn't doing much if it either).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:48 AM
ki11joy

Didn't something like this happen a few years ago in the Phantoms organization? I think it was with Tony Voce? What happened with him?

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:54 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeRocket View Post
Didn't something like this happen a few years ago in the Phantoms organization? I think it was with Tony Voce? What happened with him?
He got into a fight with Kjell Samuelsson.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
He got into a fight with Kjell Samuelsson.
Reading between the lines, Maroon must have picked a fight with Cote and now he's being "re-assigned" to a local hospital.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Reading between the lines, Maroon must have picked a fight with Cote and now he's being "re-assigned" to a local hospital.
Maroon or Cote?

Old
10-30-2010, 12:09 PM
jb**

Hopefully Pither, who is clearly being underutilized, steps up and assumes Maroons role.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I find it rather difficult to care about the Phantoms these past few seasons. It sucks when the "best" prospects aren't likely to ever pan out into anything that can't be bought for cheap during free agency. It's not like semi-skilled 3rd liners are every in demand in July.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @PSPhantoms: Maroon is 3rd Phantoms player to leave the team in last 1 1/2 seasons: Lukas Kaspar to Europe/Jason Ward either dismissed or left.

RT @PSPhantoms: I'm not assigning blame (yet), but 3 relatively high profile players gone in that time means something is wrong somewhere.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Jester

Well Kaspar wanted to just be in the NHL, no?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:36 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
RT @PSPhantoms: Maroon is 3rd Phantoms player to leave the team in last 1 1/2 seasons: Lukas Kaspar to Europe/Jason Ward either dismissed or left.

RT @PSPhantoms: I'm not assigning blame (yet), but 3 relatively high profile players gone in that time means something is wrong somewhere.
dont think there is any correlation at all. Kasper didnt want to play in the ahl. Ward sucked last year and wasnt brought back.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:46 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I call lier on those of claiming to not be surprised. Please. The leading scorer on the team is essentially booted off the team with absolutely no buildup and you say you aren't surprised. Give me a break. Not getting a look in preseason mean possible Matsumoto treatment not what is happening here. What is happening here is very rare, not something you could have predicted. This isn't a Freddy Cabana, "bye bye you suck" issue.

Ward just wasn't resigned because he was terrible, just like Kolanos and many others before him. Kaspar wanted a shot at another league if he wasn't good enough to make the NHL.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Well Kaspar wanted to just be in the NHL, no?
Yes.

He doesn't seem to be aware of how the Flyers operate. He's expecting answers of some sort. I think we'll hear it from our own people first before he gets wind of it.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:59 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Yes.

He doesn't seem to be aware of how the Flyers operate. He's expecting answers of some sort. I think we'll hear it from our own people first before he gets wind of it.
maybe not. The beat writers probably wont put out nothign but a little blurb that wont say anything imo.

Old
10-30-2010, 01:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
maybe not. The beat writers probably wont put out nothign but a little blurb that wont say anything imo.
Well it's this guy's job to report everything Phantoms.