HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Much Hatred

Old
10-30-2010, 12:11 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's such a cop out. Again, I'm not saying that he is a great goalie or anything like that. But he played well last season, regardless of who was in front him. Yes, it obviously helped having one of the best defenses out there, but for most of the year Boucher was terrible behind that very same defense, yet everyone seems to favor Boosh over Leighton. Leighton played well last season and in the playoffs. When he gets back from injury I expect him to be the starter and play the same. He won't win any awards, but he's a solid goalie.
Boosh's numbers were similar to Leighton's in the playoffs. Leighton is not in any way or form number one goalie quality in the NHL

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:17 PM
BernieParent

Perception is certainly a huge issue in the Heighton parade: the Emery injury last year was just another push to the goalie carousel that has been going on for far too long in this franchise. So when Paul Holmgren reached out to the waiver wire -- from the last-place team, to boot -- to plug the hole, Leighton became the poster boy for Holmgren's failure in securing a superior goaltender for a team with reasonable Stanley Cup dreams.

Then the team and Boucher falter, and the journeyman is the #1. The expectation is that he will continue to provide mediocre goaltending, as per his career to this point. Even as the team finds its game and starts winning, we can't help but wait for the other shoe to fall. Plus, there's enough circumstantial evidence with juicy rebounds and weak goals at critical moments that feed the notion that Leighton is just benefitting from a great D corps.

Then came the ugliness in the SC finals. I think it's overblown myself. Game 1 was awful, but Leighton did stand out for long stretches when the rest of the team was just skating in circles. However, that Cup-winning goal has to be among the low moments of my sports fandom in any sport.

Add to that this off-season, when every advantage is on Paul Holmgren's side to sign a more proven goaltender at a bargain-basement price, he inexplicably signs Leighton before FA even begins.

Finally, we get word that Leighton has a significant back injury, for which the first signs appeared in the playoffs last year (ie, before he signed his new contract), and the angry mob are grabbing for torches and pitchforks.

So like others have said, Michael Leighton would make a very likable back-up, but has shown himself to be underwhelming as the starter for a team that is all-in for a Stanley Cup.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Boosh's numbers were similar to Leighton's in the playoffs. Leighton is not in any way or form number one goalie quality in the NHL
Again, I never said he was some super star. He was solid. And I believe he will continue to be solid. He's not making the all-star team. He's not winning the Vezina. But he can handle the load (when healthy) for this team.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:58 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't hate Leighton. Seems like a nice guy, and is what he is.

I hate Paul Holmgren for signing Leighton to be our starter.
EXACTLY!

He never said he was a starter. He said he needed to earn his spot. He knew when he was signed that the team was not promising him a starting job. Holmgren is who I blame 100 and 9 billion percent. People can "he tried to sign someone" all day long to me. Bottom line is he didn't in a time when there were certainly options. Instead he blew loads on Shelly and traded for Walker.

I actually really liked Leighton as both a stop gap and backup and think he is the ideal 1B guy to have. But not a 1 or 1a.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
On HF your either a fan favorite or the whipping boy there's no in between.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Again, I never said he was some super star. He was solid. And I believe he will continue to be solid. He's not making the all-star team. He's not winning the Vezina. But he can handle the load (when healthy) for this team.
There's not much evidence to suggest MFL can handle a starter's load. He's never done it. He was "solid" for 20 or so regular season games against mostly crappy teams, and he was good in 8 games against the two worst offenses to make the playoffs last year. He was then disgustingly bad in the finals.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
On HF your either a fan favorite or the whipping boy there's no in between.
Of course there's an in between. But, the goaltending position in Philly is a very polar issue for most people.

As Jester pointed out, most people don't hate Leighton. We recognize he's not starter material and hate Holmgren for putting us in the position to need a career minor league player/backup to start for us. He seems like a great guy and bonded well with the team last year. That doesn't mean we should be thrilled he was signed to be the team's starting goalie.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
If he were capable of being a solid starter then he wouldn't have been waiver-wire fodder that had been incapable of even being a solid backup.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
the moment he had a taste of a starting load, his spine did terrible things.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote