Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miettinen OUT Indefinitely

Old
10-30-2010, 12:52 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
It's a new rule; people are going to complain about its use until we have a better feel for what constitutes a penalty and what doesn't. It's definitely a penalty by the letter of the rulebook and the consequences of the hit are exactly what the rule was put into place to avoid.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:45 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
I agreed with how the hit was called. Major and no suspension.
I'm with you here. It's too bad Miettinen is now hurt but I think Brown got the proper punishment.

With that said, I'm sort of glad to see an extended look at someone with Koivu other than Mittens. It's hard seeing that it's because of injury that has the potential to effect careers and livelihood's, though.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 03:34 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
It was a pretty clear hit to the head... even the VS play-by-play guys said it was the absolute right call by the letter of the law.
No, it was a pretty clear clean hit. Look at the videos. Read the NHL rule about it. Brown avoided all areas of that penalty. I don't want that hit taken away from the NHL. In fact just the opposite. The ref just made the wrong call on a tough call during a live play. It's a hard rule to judge on the ice. Don't trust Beninati and Eliot's hasty judgment.

But that's over and done with. It seems like again the Wild doctors can't quickly diagnose a concussion.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:26 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
No, it was a pretty clear clean hit. Look at the videos. Read the NHL rule about it. Brown avoided all areas of that penalty. I don't want that hit taken away from the NHL. In fact just the opposite. The ref just made the wrong call on a tough call during a live play. It's a hard rule to judge on the ice. Don't trust Beninati and Eliot's hasty judgment.

But that's over and done with. It seems like again the Wild doctors can't quickly diagnose a concussion.
Nope. You just say "it was a pretty clear clean hit" but you don't give anything in the rules to suggest that that is the case. He hits him from the blindside, and his shoulder goes directly into Miettinen's head. If you watch the replay, his head never hits the ice, so the concussion had to come from the hit itself. Yes, Miettinen's head was lower and farther out than on a typical check, but it had been in that position long before the hit was laid, so there's no claiming the contact was incidental. It was absolutely the right call.

That said, I don't think he was trying to injure Miettinen, so I am OK with no suspension being given out. It was just an illegal hit, and had exactly the effect the NHL was trying to prevent when they put the rule in place.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:53 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:

I just have to disagree. That kind of hit has been one of the dirtiest in hockey at all age groups. It's because there is just no way to protect yourself from that hit.

There are so many different penalties for far less dangerous plays. As somebody said, the rule was designed to prevent that exact type of hit. It textbook violation.

You just don't mess around when it comes to hits to the head. Hit the body. Not the head. It's that simple.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:45 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

The penalty was spot-on for me given that Mittens was in a defenseless position; however I am fine with the call of no suspension even with this injury.

The latter part is a little worrying, although it's hard to comment on the matter as I'm not a doctor nor have any idea what I'm talking about.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 07:47 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I just have to disagree. That kind of hit has been one of the dirtiest in hockey at all age groups. It's because there is just no way to protect yourself from that hit.

There are so many different penalties for far less dangerous plays. As somebody said, the rule was designed to prevent that exact type of hit. It textbook violation.

You just don't mess around when it comes to hits to the head. Hit the body. Not the head. It's that simple.
Completely agree. The replay clearly shows Brown's shoulder hitting Miettinen's head. That was a good call. I do agree with those saying no suspension was required for this one.

As it was called and handled by both the ref and the league was perfect IMO.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not too concerned about the "late" diagnosis on this one. Sometimes concussion symptoms take time to show up, especially if there was a flu bug going around and he had similar symptoms. It's like when you take a puck to the skin, it doesn't bruise right away, but give it a couple days and it bruises up pretty bad.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:41 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Given the hit he took and then consequently missing team functions due to "illness", I'd say it pretty legitimate.
Typically, I wouldn't put it past he'd only be gone a week or so to make sure its all good. But just feels like they'll give him even more "time" to heal and let the kids come up and play a little bit. Just a feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
If it's an excuse than the team has more problems than it would like to admit.
This team can't even act as a cohesive team at this point. I wouldn't doubt 90% of what is going on isn't being aired.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Mittens is cleared to play on Thursday.

Old
11-10-2010, 09:45 PM
boxall9

Any talk of when Latendresse will be back?

boxall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:38 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

No, it's not like there's this thread about Latendresse on the same page where his out indefinitely status is being updated.