HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Bobrovsky be Reassigned to AHL on Leighton's Return?

Old
10-30-2010, 04:30 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Unless he suddenly crashes out and shows he can't handle it mentally/emotionally, to me he's the #1 goalie and Leighton/Boucher can fight it out for the backup role. Already you can see he's improved his play, last night the pbp guys repeatedly mentioned how he was at the top of the crease, something he is just learning. So often when you're learning something new, it's easy to do it in practice but not in a game. To see him playing in a game against a team like the Pens tells me he's learning and he's thinking on his feet.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
I'm not sure, but I think there will be enough cap space to keep all three. I could see Boucher getting scratched ala Esche a few years ago.
When they get everyone back from LTIR, there won't be... but until Walker is back (assuming he's out a bit longer) they'll have some wiggle room.

EDIT: Depending what the deal is with Bartulis, they may have the space to hold all three, actually.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Unless he suddenly crashes out and shows he can't handle it mentally/emotionally, to me he's the #1 goalie and Leighton/Boucher can fight it out for the backup role. Already you can see he's improved his play, last night the pbp guys repeatedly mentioned how he was at the top of the crease, something he is just learning. So often when you're learning something new, it's easy to do it in practice but not in a game. To see him playing in a game against a team like the Pens tells me he's learning and he's thinking on his feet.
One of the best points made so far.

If Lavy has any say at all I don't think Bob goes down. He gives us the best chance to win and Lavy knows that.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post

If Lavy has any say at all I don't think Bob goes down. He gives us the best chance to win and Lavy knows that.
While I agree that he shouldn't necessarily be sent down... this is an area where the coach and short-term thinking should not have final say. If they feel his long-term prospects are better by being sent to the Phantoms... then send him to the Phantoms. If not, then keep him up.

Personally, I've seen nothing to suggest that he's out of place at this level right now... not going to be a world beater, but good enough to be in the league. I also don't think goalies necessarily benefit from the AHL the way a skater does. If you're talking about skaters, I think it's really important that you not feel overwhelmed so that you can develop skills -- tough to develop offensively if you're never in offensive positions to score goals, for example.

For a goalie... don't so much see the big difference between learning to stop pucks in the NHL as opposed to the AHL (he just needs to be getting into games).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:54 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post

I noticed it big time when he stoned Sid in close, he was half way to the hash marks when he made the save He is learning more everyday, he needs to stay up with the big club !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:22 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I know that I often come off as a Boucher hater so I guess my answer here will enforce that but to me the question isn't should Bob stay up, but should Bob be the starter or the backup.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:28 PM
slitz

if history is an indication, either bob or boosh will get hurt when leighton comes back. problem solved

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
if history is an indication, either bob or boosh will get hurt when leighton comes back. problem solved
UGH, and thats prolly true given our history...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:39 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
When they get everyone back from LTIR, there won't be... but until Walker is back (assuming he's out a bit longer) they'll have some wiggle room.

EDIT: Depending what the deal is with Bartulis, they may have the space to hold all three, actually.
Can't they hold all three and Bartulis due to bonus money? Could prove problematic next year, but JvR doesn't seem to be on pace to achieve what I imagine a lot of his bonuses are. I doubt Bob hits every one of his bonuses too.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Put Leighton or Boucher in AHL

No need to put this kid in AHL ,, he has looked good

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 06:27 PM
CerpinTaxt

I think the smart thing to do, would be to send Bob to the phantoms, because of his ELC

Should one of our goalies experience an injury once again (hoping they dont) he is the easiest of three to be called up.

He said he liked facing lots of shots didnt he?

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 06:57 PM
HemskyToHall*

Nope Leighton should play himself back into the #1 role.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2300
If the team is winning with Bobrovsky as the primary netminder, it would be foolish to disrupt the chemistry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFzODoD7YY
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If the team is winning with Bobrovsky as the primary netminder, it would be foolish to disrupt the chemistry.
ill agree with this..

even as a Leighton fan...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
Nope Leighton should play himself back into the #1 role.
Back in the Number 1 role? He never earned it from the beginning. I don't understand how people automatically think that because he was technically signed as the number 1 but was really overpaid..that he should automatically be the default number 1? He's going to have to work to win the job over Bob and even Boucher and with his rickety back and lack of raw talent that will be a tall order for him IMO. Don't have to worry about Backlund since he's pretty much stinking it up with the Phantoms right now.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:34 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

If Bob earns the job, then Bob earns the job. If Bob faulters, then send him down.

That's the way that dolt PH should look at it. Why punish a kid because he has risen to the occasion when the glorified AHL'er in disguise is on IR. How about reward the kid and give him the keys to the car until he gives you a reason to take them away?

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:02 PM
mercury

"Should Bobrovsky be reassigned to AHL on Leighton's return?"

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:25 PM
MsWoof

If Homer does send him down, we're going to be the laughing stock of the league once again. Everyone is talking about Bob. Every broadcast where we have the opposing team's feed they're talking about how amazing he is.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:54 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Seriously...the accolades from around the league are nothing to blow off. Carcillo just tonight was saying how good Bob is and that they can't score on him in practice...now of course Carcillo isn't Guy Lafleur but Briere and Giroux are on record as saying the same thing. Then around the league they just keep saying how poised and fast he is and how quick he's adjusting to the game. The last couple of games you see him challenging and his fundamentals keep improving.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:04 AM
SgtJoseph

If Bob continues playing well, the Flyers must reward him for his hard work and dedication, not demote him to the minors, its just that simple.His reward should be his staying with the big club.I gotta believe the players in the room would be Pi$$ed if he was sent packing just to make room.I like Mike Leighton and Boosh, they are both fine men, and both are capable of stringing out some winning streaks and both are capable NHL net minders, but Bob just seems to be a bit better than both of them at the moment, so in my opinion its Bobs job to lose now, he has taken full advantage of what has been set on the table before him, so let the big dog eat !

Professional sports is a tough gig, and there is always someone waiting to get their shot, and the circumstances that unfold to give a person their shot can at times be very cruel and seem almost unfair....Bob is having a go at his shot, and deserves to stay right where he is for now.If he starts faultering, or if he himself should get hurt, then the cycle will just start over again.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Flyerfan808

Leighton will get his chance to earn his job back, he will need to be fully recovered and on his game. Bob has made it an uphill battle for Leighton. If Bob is our best goalie he should stay.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:33 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I don't think Bob should go anywhere..

Just waive Leighton.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:14 AM
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

Bobrovski's stats

5-2-0 | .917 Sv% | 2.45 GAA

Bob is kicking some ass to open the season.

Currently tied for 3rd in Wins despite splitting time with Boucher. I don't see how you don't keep him up, especially since he's likely to just get better as the season goes along.

10-31-2010, 03:18 AM
TheTaekster

I don't understand how ANY logic could point to sending this kid down at this point, but I'm sure Homer will invent one

TheTaekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:29 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Bobrovski's stats

5-2-0 | .917 Sv% | 2.45 GAA

Bob is kicking some ass to open the season.

Currently tied for 3rd in Wins despite splitting time with Boucher. I don't see how you don't keep him up, especially since he's likely to just get better as the season goes along.
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote