HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #5

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
I had to decide to bench one of Lundqvist, Price, and Bobrovsky tonight. Talk about a tough decision.

Benched Lundqvist.

Old
10-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I had to decide to bench one of Lundqvist, Price, and Bobrovsky tonight. Talk about a tough decision.

Benched Lundqvist.
i benched lundqvist too. he's gotten no help from the rangers at all, he's looked a bit off so far, and i have tim thomas and ryan miller as well.

Old
10-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i benched lundqvist too. he's gotten no help from the rangers at all, he's looked a bit off so far, and i have tim thomas and ryan miller as well.
Yeah, I have faith in Lundqvist, but his team sucks and Price has been playing so well that I couldn't argue with someone if they said Price is playing like the best goalie in the league. The Flyers are playing the freaking Islanders so Bob was a no-brainer.

Old
10-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Yeah, I have faith in Lundqvist, but his team sucks and Price has been playing so well that I couldn't argue with someone if they said Price is playing like the best goalie in the league. The Flyers are playing the freaking Islanders so Bob was a no-brainer.
from the looks of it, we ****ed it up.

Old
10-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Hollywood Couturier

wtf is up with Brent Johnson? Going into tonight with a 4-0-1 record with 1.39GAA and .951% and has a shutout going with 5 minutes left tonight.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
10-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
from the looks of it, we ****ed it up.
****ing Leafs. Can't do anything right. At least I still have Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
wtf is up with Brent Johnson? Going into tonight with a 4-0-1 record with 1.39GAA and .951% and has a shutout going with 5 minutes left tonight.
He's a quality goalie and he's playing behind a quality team. No way he can sustain this kind of success though.

Old
10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
He's got nothing on Tim Thomas.

Old
10-30-2010, 09:41 PM
RecchinBall8

I've got one spot to give to either Mike Richards or Paul Stastny

I go with Richards usually, but Stastny has been playing very well...

what would you guys do?

(Sin bin League)

Old
10-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
****ing Leafs. Can't do anything right. At least I still have Bob.

He's a quality goalie and he's playing behind a quality team. No way he can sustain this kind of success though.
it turns out we didn't **** up.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Kaktus*

Ovechkin just scored 2 goals in like 5 seconds.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
The Flames look like the Flyers did last year. Which isn't much different than what the Flames still looked like last year.

The Sutters are so fired.

Old
10-31-2010, 03:29 AM
chaosof99*

The Flames are lol-worthy. First they allow Ovechkin to score twice 12 seconds apart, and 6 minutes later they allow goals by Green and Bradley 13 seconds apart. This is of course after going up 2-0 and still leading 2-1 after the first period.

Edit: Went by the boxscore when I made that post. That Bradley goal was actually and own goal by Sarich. Wow...

Old
10-31-2010, 11:01 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 857
Quote:
The Canes have recalled forward Jonathan Matsumoto from the Charlotte Checkers of (AHL) and assigned forwards Drayson Bowman and Zac Dalpe to its top minor-league affiliate.

Matsumoto, 24, has three goals and six assists in 10 games for Charlotte this season, leading the team in assists and sharing the team lead in points.

Matsumoto was acquired by the Canes from the Philadelphia Flyers on June 26 in exchange for Carolina’s seventh-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft (Richard Blidstrand). Philadelphia’s third-round pick in the 2006 Entry Draft, Matsumoto has 84 goals and 98 assists (182 points) in 261 career AHL games with Philadelphia, Adirondack and Charlotte. He has yet to make his NHL debut.
Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/home#ixzz13x8cgHBu

Old
10-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Flames look like the Flyers did last year. Which isn't much different than what the Flames still looked like last year.

The Sutters are so fired.
That Flames team, as currently structured, isn't going anywhere. They'll be good, but not good enough. Sucky place to be.

Old
10-31-2010, 11:42 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50

that was the announced attendance in Phoenix last night.
Yup.
Financially viable hockey market lol

Old
10-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

that was the announced attendance in Phoenix last night.
Yup.
Financially viable hockey market lol
Sort of unfair to judge at this point... if you lived in PHX, would you care about that team at this point?

Old
10-31-2010, 12:52 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sort of unfair to judge at this point... if you lived in PHX, would you care about that team at this point?
They had 107 points last year...

I mean, if PHX was actually a hockey market, you'd think some fans would show up to support the team which had a great season last year.

Old
10-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
They had 107 points last year...

I mean, if PHX was actually a hockey market, you'd think some fans would show up to support the team which had a great season last year.
I'm not investing any money/emotional interest in a team that could be gone next year. And that was an issue last year as well.

Old
10-31-2010, 01:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I really don't understand why the other 29 NHL owners would support anything other than ownership that has plans to move the team. Phoenix hemorrhaging money ultimately brings down their bottom line and hurts everyone else in the process. It's not even fan support too, it's corporate support. Corporate support is as much of a reason why the Jets left Winnipeg, considering how long it took Phoenix to get a new arena.

Old
10-31-2010, 01:24 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I'm not investing any money/emotional interest in a team that could be gone next year. And that was an issue last year as well.
Well I guess it's a chicken and the egg type scenario.

My opinion though is that because the future of the team is still in the balance, if PHX really cared about them, they'd be out supporting them to hopefully win the NHL over.

Old
10-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well I guess it's a chicken and the egg type scenario.

My opinion though is that because the future of the team is still in the balance, if PHX really cared about them, they'd be out supporting them to hopefully win the NHL over.
Why are you going to gamble your money on whether or not the NHL can find an ownership group to stay in PHX? That's asking an awful lot of individual ticket buyers.

The bigger problem is that PHX struggled for so long when they may have built a fanbase... the moment you start having serious talk of moving a team, you're going to have big time problems selling that team.

Old
10-31-2010, 01:42 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Why are you going to gamble your money on whether or not the NHL can find an ownership group to stay in PHX? That's asking an awful lot of individual ticket buyers.

The bigger problem is that PHX struggled for so long when they may have built a fanbase... the moment you start having serious talk of moving a team, you're going to have big time problems selling that team.
Well, the idea would be to show up to games so that the owners can see that staying in Phoenix is a viable idea. I mean certainly Gary will fight tooth and nail to see the team stay.

Re: the struggling team. I can see that to an extent, but SJ lost money in 08-09 when they won the President's Trophy and were coming off 3 straight PO years including a 107 and a 108 point year.

So I mean, I just don't think the whole Sun Belt/California thing is ever going to work. If you throw that team in Canada, maybe they'll still lose money when they suck, but I guarantee you they'll make money when they win.

SJ and Phoenix were 2 of the league's most successful franchises last year and I'd be willing to bet that they both lost money.

Old
10-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well, the idea would be to show up to games so that the owners can see that staying in Phoenix is a viable idea. I mean certainly Gary will fight tooth and nail to see the team stay.

Re: the struggling team. I can see that to an extent, but SJ lost money in 08-09 when they won the President's Trophy and were coming off 3 straight PO years including a 107 and a 108 point year.

So I mean, I just don't think the whole Sun Belt/California thing is ever going to work. If you throw that team in Canada, maybe they'll still lose money when they suck, but I guarantee you they'll make money when they win.

SJ and Phoenix were 2 of the league's most successful franchises last year and I'd be willing to bet that they both lost money.
I disagree... for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I think hockey can work anywhere if you give it enough time. The simple truth is that a lot of these teams have been poorly run, and they've deserved what they've gotten as far as attendance and money goes. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to ignore the Coyotes if you live in PHX and don't feel like getting attached to a team that is on life support.

The other thing is... I played hockey in college and since with a lot of guys from Texas and California. The sport is growing in those areas big time (just as it has here) with the advent and proliferation of roller hockey making it easier to get out there and play.

PHX is a friggin mess for a lot of reasons... but attendance at this point is the least of their issues. There's no way they're going to get good attendance in this situation. In the broader picture the league was (and some markets still are) spending more than they should without greater revenue sharing... which is something we may see in the next CBA.

Old
10-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I disagree... for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I think hockey can work anywhere if you give it enough time. The simple truth is that a lot of these teams have been poorly run, and they've deserved what they've gotten as far as attendance and money goes. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to ignore the Coyotes if you live in PHX and don't feel like getting attached to a team that is on life support.

The other thing is... I played hockey in college and since with a lot of guys from Texas and California. The sport is growing in those areas big time (just as it has here) with the advent and proliferation of roller hockey making it easier to get out there and play.

PHX is a friggin mess for a lot of reasons... but attendance at this point is the least of their issues. There's no way they're going to get good attendance in this situation. In the broader picture the league was (and some markets still are) spending more than they should without greater revenue sharing... which is something we may see in the next CBA.
I agree 100%. What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that the NHL is looking to expand the sport and grow hockey roots in previously hockey-less areas.

That's why you have to give it a time. Can't expect immediate success, especially with a team that hasn't been good for it's entire existence (Columbus for instance) or with a team that could be moved next season for anyone knows (Phoenix).

Old
10-31-2010, 02:48 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:

Again though, look at SJ, they've been a good team for the better part of the last decade and apparently still have problems breaking even.

Look at Anaheim, won the Cup in 06-07, made the WCF in 08-09, in contention for a PO spot for most of 09-10, 20th in the league in attendance last year and by all accounts, a complete afterthought in southern California (I knew a couple people from SC in college).

No doubt that the competitive record for most of these teams isn't great, but Anaheim and SJ have both had 5 year runs that about 24 NHL teams would kill for and neither one of them is a big draw yet or anywhere close to a marquee franchise.

So I mean, if you're telling me it's going to take 10 years of sustained success for these franchises to make an impact, I say, ship them to Canada or get rid of them.

Closed Thread