HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #5

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2010, 06:22 PM
  #926
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,566
vCash: 500
I had to decide to bench one of Lundqvist, Price, and Bobrovsky tonight. Talk about a tough decision.

Benched Lundqvist.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 06:25 PM
  #927
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,836
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I had to decide to bench one of Lundqvist, Price, and Bobrovsky tonight. Talk about a tough decision.

Benched Lundqvist.
i benched lundqvist too. he's gotten no help from the rangers at all, he's looked a bit off so far, and i have tim thomas and ryan miller as well.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 06:36 PM
  #928
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i benched lundqvist too. he's gotten no help from the rangers at all, he's looked a bit off so far, and i have tim thomas and ryan miller as well.
Yeah, I have faith in Lundqvist, but his team sucks and Price has been playing so well that I couldn't argue with someone if they said Price is playing like the best goalie in the league. The Flyers are playing the freaking Islanders so Bob was a no-brainer.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 07:59 PM
  #929
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,836
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, I have faith in Lundqvist, but his team sucks and Price has been playing so well that I couldn't argue with someone if they said Price is playing like the best goalie in the league. The Flyers are playing the freaking Islanders so Bob was a no-brainer.
from the looks of it, we ****ed it up.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 08:14 PM
  #930
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,916
vCash: 500
wtf is up with Brent Johnson? Going into tonight with a 4-0-1 record with 1.39GAA and .951% and has a shutout going with 5 minutes left tonight.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 08:38 PM
  #931
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
from the looks of it, we ****ed it up.
****ing Leafs. Can't do anything right. At least I still have Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
wtf is up with Brent Johnson? Going into tonight with a 4-0-1 record with 1.39GAA and .951% and has a shutout going with 5 minutes left tonight.
He's a quality goalie and he's playing behind a quality team. No way he can sustain this kind of success though.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
  #932
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,210
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
wtf is up with Brent Johnson? Going into tonight with a 4-0-1 record with 1.39GAA and .951% and has a shutout going with 5 minutes left tonight.
He's got nothing on Tim Thomas.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 09:41 PM
  #933
RecchinBall8
 
RecchinBall8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
I've got one spot to give to either Mike Richards or Paul Stastny

I go with Richards usually, but Stastny has been playing very well...

what would you guys do?

(Sin bin League)

RecchinBall8 is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 10:07 PM
  #934
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,836
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
****ing Leafs. Can't do anything right. At least I still have Bob.



He's a quality goalie and he's playing behind a quality team. No way he can sustain this kind of success though.
it turns out we didn't **** up.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 10:19 PM
  #935
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Ovechkin just scored 2 goals in like 5 seconds.

Kaktus* is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 11:54 PM
  #936
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,528
vCash: 6115
The Flames look like the Flyers did last year. Which isn't much different than what the Flames still looked like last year.

The Sutters are so fired.

GKJ is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 03:29 AM
  #937
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
The Flames are lol-worthy. First they allow Ovechkin to score twice 12 seconds apart, and 6 minutes later they allow goals by Green and Bradley 13 seconds apart. This is of course after going up 2-0 and still leading 2-1 after the first period.


Edit: Went by the boxscore when I made that post. That Bradley goal was actually and own goal by Sarich. Wow...

chaosof99* is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 11:01 AM
  #938
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,896
vCash: 857
Quote:
The Canes have recalled forward Jonathan Matsumoto from the Charlotte Checkers of (AHL) and assigned forwards Drayson Bowman and Zac Dalpe to its top minor-league affiliate.

Matsumoto, 24, has three goals and six assists in 10 games for Charlotte this season, leading the team in assists and sharing the team lead in points.

Matsumoto was acquired by the Canes from the Philadelphia Flyers on June 26 in exchange for Carolina’s seventh-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft (Richard Blidstrand). Philadelphia’s third-round pick in the 2006 Entry Draft, Matsumoto has 84 goals and 98 assists (182 points) in 261 career AHL games with Philadelphia, Adirondack and Charlotte. He has yet to make his NHL debut.
Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/home#ixzz13x8cgHBu

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 11:06 AM
  #939
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Flames look like the Flyers did last year. Which isn't much different than what the Flames still looked like last year.

The Sutters are so fired.
That Flames team, as currently structured, isn't going anywhere. They'll be good, but not good enough. Sucky place to be.

Jester is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 11:42 AM
  #940
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,735
vCash: 50
8,171

that was the announced attendance in Phoenix last night.
Yup.
Financially viable hockey market lol

GoneFullHolmgren is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 12:15 PM
  #941
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
8,171

that was the announced attendance in Phoenix last night.
Yup.
Financially viable hockey market lol
Sort of unfair to judge at this point... if you lived in PHX, would you care about that team at this point?

Jester is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 12:52 PM
  #942
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sort of unfair to judge at this point... if you lived in PHX, would you care about that team at this point?
They had 107 points last year...

I mean, if PHX was actually a hockey market, you'd think some fans would show up to support the team which had a great season last year.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 01:12 PM
  #943
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
They had 107 points last year...

I mean, if PHX was actually a hockey market, you'd think some fans would show up to support the team which had a great season last year.
I'm not investing any money/emotional interest in a team that could be gone next year. And that was an issue last year as well.

Jester is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 01:20 PM
  #944
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,528
vCash: 6115
I really don't understand why the other 29 NHL owners would support anything other than ownership that has plans to move the team. Phoenix hemorrhaging money ultimately brings down their bottom line and hurts everyone else in the process. It's not even fan support too, it's corporate support. Corporate support is as much of a reason why the Jets left Winnipeg, considering how long it took Phoenix to get a new arena.

GKJ is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 01:24 PM
  #945
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm not investing any money/emotional interest in a team that could be gone next year. And that was an issue last year as well.
Well I guess it's a chicken and the egg type scenario.

My opinion though is that because the future of the team is still in the balance, if PHX really cared about them, they'd be out supporting them to hopefully win the NHL over.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 01:36 PM
  #946
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well I guess it's a chicken and the egg type scenario.

My opinion though is that because the future of the team is still in the balance, if PHX really cared about them, they'd be out supporting them to hopefully win the NHL over.
Why are you going to gamble your money on whether or not the NHL can find an ownership group to stay in PHX? That's asking an awful lot of individual ticket buyers.

The bigger problem is that PHX struggled for so long when they may have built a fanbase... the moment you start having serious talk of moving a team, you're going to have big time problems selling that team.

Jester is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 01:42 PM
  #947
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Why are you going to gamble your money on whether or not the NHL can find an ownership group to stay in PHX? That's asking an awful lot of individual ticket buyers.

The bigger problem is that PHX struggled for so long when they may have built a fanbase... the moment you start having serious talk of moving a team, you're going to have big time problems selling that team.
Well, the idea would be to show up to games so that the owners can see that staying in Phoenix is a viable idea. I mean certainly Gary will fight tooth and nail to see the team stay.

Re: the struggling team. I can see that to an extent, but SJ lost money in 08-09 when they won the President's Trophy and were coming off 3 straight PO years including a 107 and a 108 point year.

So I mean, I just don't think the whole Sun Belt/California thing is ever going to work. If you throw that team in Canada, maybe they'll still lose money when they suck, but I guarantee you they'll make money when they win.

SJ and Phoenix were 2 of the league's most successful franchises last year and I'd be willing to bet that they both lost money.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 01:57 PM
  #948
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well, the idea would be to show up to games so that the owners can see that staying in Phoenix is a viable idea. I mean certainly Gary will fight tooth and nail to see the team stay.

Re: the struggling team. I can see that to an extent, but SJ lost money in 08-09 when they won the President's Trophy and were coming off 3 straight PO years including a 107 and a 108 point year.

So I mean, I just don't think the whole Sun Belt/California thing is ever going to work. If you throw that team in Canada, maybe they'll still lose money when they suck, but I guarantee you they'll make money when they win.

SJ and Phoenix were 2 of the league's most successful franchises last year and I'd be willing to bet that they both lost money.
I disagree... for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I think hockey can work anywhere if you give it enough time. The simple truth is that a lot of these teams have been poorly run, and they've deserved what they've gotten as far as attendance and money goes. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to ignore the Coyotes if you live in PHX and don't feel like getting attached to a team that is on life support.

The other thing is... I played hockey in college and since with a lot of guys from Texas and California. The sport is growing in those areas big time (just as it has here) with the advent and proliferation of roller hockey making it easier to get out there and play.

PHX is a friggin mess for a lot of reasons... but attendance at this point is the least of their issues. There's no way they're going to get good attendance in this situation. In the broader picture the league was (and some markets still are) spending more than they should without greater revenue sharing... which is something we may see in the next CBA.

Jester is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 02:37 PM
  #949
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I disagree... for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I think hockey can work anywhere if you give it enough time. The simple truth is that a lot of these teams have been poorly run, and they've deserved what they've gotten as far as attendance and money goes. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to ignore the Coyotes if you live in PHX and don't feel like getting attached to a team that is on life support.

The other thing is... I played hockey in college and since with a lot of guys from Texas and California. The sport is growing in those areas big time (just as it has here) with the advent and proliferation of roller hockey making it easier to get out there and play.

PHX is a friggin mess for a lot of reasons... but attendance at this point is the least of their issues. There's no way they're going to get good attendance in this situation. In the broader picture the league was (and some markets still are) spending more than they should without greater revenue sharing... which is something we may see in the next CBA.
I agree 100%. What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that the NHL is looking to expand the sport and grow hockey roots in previously hockey-less areas.

That's why you have to give it a time. Can't expect immediate success, especially with a team that hasn't been good for it's entire existence (Columbus for instance) or with a team that could be moved next season for anyone knows (Phoenix).

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 02:48 PM
  #950
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I disagree... for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I think hockey can work anywhere if you give it enough time. The simple truth is that a lot of these teams have been poorly run, and they've deserved what they've gotten as far as attendance and money goes. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to ignore the Coyotes if you live in PHX and don't feel like getting attached to a team that is on life support.

The other thing is... I played hockey in college and since with a lot of guys from Texas and California. The sport is growing in those areas big time (just as it has here) with the advent and proliferation of roller hockey making it easier to get out there and play.

PHX is a friggin mess for a lot of reasons... but attendance at this point is the least of their issues. There's no way they're going to get good attendance in this situation. In the broader picture the league was (and some markets still are) spending more than they should without greater revenue sharing... which is something we may see in the next CBA.
Again though, look at SJ, they've been a good team for the better part of the last decade and apparently still have problems breaking even.

Look at Anaheim, won the Cup in 06-07, made the WCF in 08-09, in contention for a PO spot for most of 09-10, 20th in the league in attendance last year and by all accounts, a complete afterthought in southern California (I knew a couple people from SC in college).

No doubt that the competitive record for most of these teams isn't great, but Anaheim and SJ have both had 5 year runs that about 24 NHL teams would kill for and neither one of them is a big draw yet or anywhere close to a marquee franchise.

So I mean, if you're telling me it's going to take 10 years of sustained success for these franchises to make an impact, I say, ship them to Canada or get rid of them.

FlyHigh is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.