HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Ryan Spooner

Old
10-30-2010, 11:08 AM
hubby1746

vCash: 500
Spooner is so nasty. Cant wait to see him here next year.

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:35 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

A line of lucic- seguin- knight in a few years could be excellent

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

The hard part is going to be clearing veteran contracts off the books as these guys come up. We've already got Caron, Marchand and Seguin already on the team looking to push people out of the way and make their jobs permanent, now add Spooner, Knight, hopefully Colborne to that, with only Ryder really coming off the books on his own (Sturm doesn't count as his replacement is already playing with Boston) and you have a problem that's bigger than it sounds.

We could easily go 4 lines deep in offensive talent in 2 years if we keep everyone and they come through, deep enough in actual skill players that there's no room left for goons, and still tough enough to be going on with on top of that. Just imagine.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:51 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I think, barring any injury, Spooner could very well approach 100 pts this year. Early in the season he and Matt Puempel weren't clicking as they are now and the two together form one of the top duo's in the OHL.

Unfortunately, the team is struggling and it allows the opposition to to key in on the 2 of them a lot more. As for playing wing, i dont think it will be a problem for Spooner at all. He's taking some shifts on wing.
Dom, you think he could be a Ray Whitney type of player on the wing?

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
That would be a good comparison Dan. With more speed to boot. I'd probably say that his vision is a touch better too.

I was telling Colt in PM and Bill yesterday that i had heard that he has signed on to train with Gary Roberts in the offseason. And we've heard how Roberts has helped some kids. I couldn't get a hold of Spooner but talked to Pete's GM Dave Ried who said he hadn't heard that but would ask him tonight and get back to me if it's true.

Spooner is playing with some very talented players, and while some may think that it inflates his number, personally i dont think so. He is talented and often times he's made Puempel a better player on the ice.

If i had to choose between Spooner and Knight, personally i'd take Spooner. I think he'll bring more offense, while Knight brings more of the intangibles. And he hasn't looked out of place on the few shifts he's taken on the wing.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:17 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
I found it interesting that on the same WU17 Ontario team in 08-09, Seguin had 3g, 8a, 11 p in 6 games while Spooner had 4g, 6a, 10 points. His Collerbone injury last year just may have been a blessing in disquise as far as the Bruins are concerned. Had he been healthy, one has to think he would have gone much higher in the draft. I've never had the pleasure of watching him play, but I am looking forward to it from what I hear about him.
I have alot, I have also shot at goalie camps with him. His skill is absolutely unbelievable he thinks the game on a different level. NHL regulars shoot at these camps and he does stuff they have never seen. You guys are very fortunate about the injury he was a sure fire first rounder Derek Roy 2.0 without the diving.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
That would be a good comparison Dan. With more speed to boot. I'd probably say that his vision is a touch better too.

I was telling Colt in PM and Bill yesterday that i had heard that he has signed on to train with Gary Roberts in the offseason. And we've heard how Roberts has helped some kids. I couldn't get a hold of Spooner but talked to Pete's GM Dave Ried who said he hadn't heard that but would ask him tonight and get back to me if it's true.

Spooner is playing with some very talented players, and while some may think that it inflates his number, personally i dont think so. He is talented and often times he's made Puempel a better player on the ice.

If i had to choose between Spooner and Knight, personally i'd take Spooner. I think he'll bring more offense, while Knight brings more of the intangibles. And he hasn't looked out of place on the few shifts he's taken on the wing.

Excellent info. Don't miss reading your stuff. Great content. Thank you.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 03:32 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
The hard part is going to be clearing veteran contracts off the books as these guys come up. We've already got Caron, Marchand and Seguin already on the team looking to push people out of the way and make their jobs permanent, now add Spooner, Knight, hopefully Colborne to that, with only Ryder really coming off the books on his own (Sturm doesn't count as his replacement is already playing with Boston) and you have a problem that's bigger than it sounds.

We could easily go 4 lines deep in offensive talent in 2 years if we keep everyone and they come through, deep enough in actual skill players that there's no room left for goons, and still tough enough to be going on with on top of that. Just imagine.
ehm, i see recchi, sturm, and ryder all being off the team after this year

savard could be, and wheeler is a question mark

that's three definite openings and 2 possibles

I love rex and im glad he is here helping seguin but this HAS to be his last year in the line up

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
The most comparable player that I see out there is Patrick Sharp. Smart, fast, creative, versatile... What a steal.

Sauve-Seguin-Horton
Spooner-Krejci-Caron
Lucic-Bergeron-Marchand

With Colborne and Knight in Providence.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post
yeah but he has phil kessel like speed and shot. Hopefully he doesn't entirely play like phil kessel
I'd settle for a Phil Kessel clone.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Holy crap, a Sharp comp? Really? Love that guy. Sign me the heck up.

Old
10-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
The most comparable player that I see out there is Patrick Sharp. Smart, fast, creative, versatile... What a steal.

Sauve-Seguin-Horton
Spooner-Krejci-Caron
Lucic-Bergeron-Marchand

Eh, until proven otherwise I keep Marchand on the 4th and swing another skill wing in at the third line, probably Wheels. All other factors aside, Marchand is actually a really good kind of guy to have on a 4th line so it's a great role for him. It's not like this team doesn't like to get its 4th line out there in a lot of situations anyway.

I don't do a lot to break up the Marchand-Campbell-Thornton line until there's a reason to. That line clicks.

Old
10-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Eh, until proven otherwise I keep Marchand on the 4th and swing another skill wing in at the third line, probably Wheels. All other factors aside, Marchand is actually a really good kind of guy to have on a 4th line so it's a great role for him. It's not like this team doesn't like to get its 4th line out there in a lot of situations anyway.

I don't do a lot to break up the Marchand-Campbell-Thornton line until there's a reason to. That line clicks.
How can he "prove otherwise" if you keep him on the 4th line? IMO, Marchand has shown flashes of a top6 skillset all year long, and is really driving that 4th line. Plus, I've always liked the idea of Lucic and Marchand playing together. Set and spike, so to speak.

Edit: Marchand is all over the Sens in the first tonight...

Last edited by Bill Ladd: 10-30-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
How can he "prove otherwise" if you keep him on the 4th line? IMO, Marchand has shown flashes of a top6 skillset all year long, and is really driving that 4th line. Plus, I've always liked the idea of Lucic and Marchand playing together. Set and spike, so to speak.
In my mind, Marchand is the perfect 10th forward. Plays on the fourth line, but kills penalties and can easily fill in for a top 9 guy when need be. Kind of like Paille's role last year, but a better player to fill that role. And how much confidence in Sauve do you have, Bill? Actually more than Wheeler, Savvy and Colborne? I'd probably expect to see lines like this:

Lucic Krejci Horton
Wheeler Savard Seguin
Spooner Bergeron Caron
Marchand Campbell Thornton

But that leaves Knight, Sauve and Colborne out. Jesus, we have a lot of depth at forward. Plus the chance of Toronto's pick becoming Landeskog or Couturier or RNH, who all could be NHL ready next year.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
Excellent info. Don't miss reading your stuff. Great content. Thank you.
It really is good.

Check out OOG's web site on OHL prospects: http://2011ohldrafteligiblepalyers.blogspot.com/

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:

Sauve-Seguin-Horton
Spooner-Krejci-Caron
Lucic-Bergeron-Marchand

What a terrific group.

I could imagine Knight at RW on the third line and Marchand on the 4th line.

And no Wheeler, Savard, Sturm, or Ryder in the mix. The Bruins should be able to obtain a good PMD by moving Savard and Wheeler.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Eennad142

[QUOTE=Bill Ladd;28634865]The most comparable player that I see out there is Patrick Sharp. Smart, fast, creative, versatile... What a steal.

Don't see the Patrick Sharp resemblance so much as I do Mikko Koivu of the Wild. Both Koivu and Spooner have that 'old school' mentality on the ice, they have the fundamentals perfected, and they understand how the plays within the game unfold almost before they happen, and they position themselves accordingly. This is what Claude Julien talked about with Spooner. Seguin is the same way. In crunch time, the puck seems to follow players like Koivu and Spooner, and they make the most of the opportunity. Early in his career, 'Spoonie' had a reputation of only having interest in the game when the puck was on his stick, but he seems to have outgrown that. However, having said that, just watch out for Craig Cunningham, and do not underrate his talent.

If anyone interested in another excellent prospect info. site, also check out 'dansallows.com'
Very good writeups on lesser known prospects, and good visuals.

Last edited by Eennad142: 10-30-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 08:36 PM
bruinsfan46

Spooner scores the only goal for the Petes tonight. Brings his totals to 10 goals and 9 assists in 12 games.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote