HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-30-10: Take him to Detroit - Preds @ Wings

Old
10-30-2010, 10:19 PM
K3V1N

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Must. Get. Healthy. ... soon
Not only with injuries, but with the flu or some kind of bug going around with the team. I ran into a player's mom tonight because we stuck out like a sore thumb wearing a Preds jersey. 8 hour long journey home tomorrow. But hey, we stayed in a hotel across the street from the team, just a coincidence, and got some autographs on my cap after borrowing a sharpie.

K3V1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Legionnaire11

Would it not have been possible to dress Belak as a D tonight? or play a forward on the point on the PP to give the D-men a few more minutes of rest?

Though I am certainly not going to pin this loss on dressing only 5 d-men. We had 3 more very close calls in the final 10 mins, Spaling hit the post, right after that a puck went through the crease and of course Wilson had a puck right on the goal line. It was a night where the Wings pucks found the net and the Preds did not, I almost never blame a loss on bad luck, but honestly this game could easily have been 3-3 or 4-4 and who knows what happens in OT...

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:02 PM
roseyc

It seem like the Preds didn't care if they won this game tonight. If they would have gotten the lead early and kept it into 3 period then they would have tried to win but when the wings got an early lead that was it. It was the start of a long west coast trip and you could see that the energy wasn't there. Rinne wasn't sharp and wings were circling the wagon like the indians in a western movie roundtable and when they do that we can't do anything with them. Then they stopped and Ward scored on the pp and we kinda had life. But Datysuk ended all that and Weber let Holmstrom park in front and do what he does and Rinne ole'd the last one ...game over. Hey we already had a built in excuse

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:18 PM
predfan24

Just watched the highlights.

Zetterberg's pass to Datsyuk for the first goal was sick.

Datsyuk absolutely worked Spaling on that third goal.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Would it not have been possible to dress Belak as a D tonight? or play a forward on the point on the PP to give the D-men a few more minutes of rest?

Though I am certainly not going to pin this loss on dressing only 5 d-men. We had 3 more very close calls in the final 10 mins, Spaling hit the post, right after that a puck went through the crease and of course Wilson had a puck right on the goal line. It was a night where the Wings pucks found the net and the Preds did not, I almost never blame a loss on bad luck, but honestly this game could easily have been 3-3 or 4-4 and who knows what happens in OT...
Belak did dress as the 6th D tonight. However, since he didn't take a shift, he doesn't appear in the boxscore. He was dressed and on the bench though...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:45 PM
smitty10

Sulzer with 28:18 today to lead all defenseman.

You really need Suter back.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Sulzer with 28:18 today to lead all defenseman.

You really need Suter back.
That didn't just lead all defensemen, that lead every skater in the whole game! Guess he's earned the trust of the coaching staff...

Old
10-31-2010, 12:17 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That didn't just lead all defensemen, that lead every skater in the whole game! Guess he's earned the trust of the coaching staff...
Yeah that is crazy. Maybe he will finally earn a permanent spot on the Preds blueline or be used as trade bait.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Yeah that is crazy. Maybe he will finally earn a permanent spot on the Preds blueline or be used as trade bait.
I think he'll definitely have the coaching staff taking a long look at Franson when Suter (and Bouillon) are healthy....

Old
10-31-2010, 08:21 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
The fact that we had only 5 D tonight was poor planning and a lack of foresight more than anything else.

Bouillon took a slapshot to his "upper body" in the second period of Thursday's game and subsequently missed ~10 minutes before returning to finish the game. He sat out Friday's practice, but was obviously thought to be ready to go tonight. Unfortunately at, before, or after the morning skate he was either ruled or he ruled himself out and it was too late to recall a defenseman from Milwaukee since they are currently out in Abbottsford...

Just a bad gamble that lead to an overworked D tonight...
Then they should've had a 7th defenseman on the roster. The fact that we only had 6 guys on the roster to begin with is ridiculous. Say someone went down in warmups or couldn't go, you have to have a backup plan. What if one of the 5 we dressed last night got hurt, then we're running 4 guys out there? You can't do that in this league. Couple that with Klasen getting minimal minutes and we virtually playing 16 against 18 last night. I can let certain things go easily but poor roster management isn't one of them.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Then they should've had a 7th defenseman on the roster. The fact that we only had 6 guys on the roster to begin with is ridiculous. Say someone went down in warmups or couldn't go, you have to have a backup plan. What if one of the 5 we dressed last night got hurt, then we're running 4 guys out there? You can't do that in this league. Couple that with Klasen getting minimal minutes and we virtually playing 16 against 18 last night. I can let certain things go easily but poor roster management isn't one of them.
No, I completely agree. A defenseman should have been on the same plane as Klasen Friday morning heading to Detroit. No doubt about it. If he's not needed, oh well...but with Bouillon fighting an injury and Klein still under the weather, there is no doubt that it was stupid not to recall a defenseman.

Old
10-31-2010, 08:34 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
No, I completely agree. A defenseman should have been on the same plane as Klasen Friday morning heading to Detroit. No doubt about it. If he's not needed, oh well...but with Bouillon fighting an injury and Klein still under the weather, there is no doubt that it was stupid not to recall a defenseman.
So here's the question, Poile, Trotz or both to blame for that one?

Old
10-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
So here's the question, Poile, Trotz or both to blame for that one?
I don't think we can assess blame without the facts. What was the training staff saying about the injury, what was Bouillon saying about the injury, what was the time table to get a D to Detroit (Milwaukee was in Abbottsford this weekend)?

I think it's on the organization as a whole. I'm not sure you can bash any one individual for that. Hopefully they learn from the mistake and don't let it happen again...

Old
10-31-2010, 08:49 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
I don't think we can assess blame without the facts. What was the training staff saying about the injury, what was Bouillon saying about the injury, what was the time table to get a D to Detroit (Milwaukee was in Abbottsford this weekend)?

I think it's on the organization as a whole. I'm not sure you can bash any one individual for that. Hopefully they learn from the mistake and don't let it happen again...
Here's the thing, it's not like this is Trotz and Poile's first rodeo. Sure the training staff and Bouillon were probably saying he's ok but if that's the case, they need a stern talking to as well. We basically were playing 2 men short last night and that's leaving your team and teammates hung out to dry.

Not saying it's all on one person here but they had time to get someone here. They got Klasen here, they should've sent Laakso with him.

Old
10-31-2010, 11:05 AM
hatedandproud

Quote:
I think he'll definitely have the coaching staff taking a long look at Franson when Suter (and Bouillon) are healthy....
I think, actually hope, they've already taken a look and will go with Sulzer.
It is VERY interesting that the most recent D call-up got 8+ minutes more than the guy who won the spot out of camp.

And I agree going into detroit with 5 D was insane. They should have at least given belak a couple of shifts.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:21 AM
WartracePred

If they knew Cube was questionable, another Dman should have been there from MIL. From one of Trotz's comments about Klasen, he was brought up as insurance, not because he was going to add offensive punch to the lineup. So the question is, why wasn't a Dman brought up as insurance as well? Makes you think that something very unexpected happened with Bouillon. Or... they really, really screwed up. We'll probably never know what happened.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:44 AM
roseyc

This cloak and dagger type deals with injuries in the NHL is laughable. Trotz just doesn't get it. He thinks that he can win without scoring. Rookies don't come on this roster and light up the scoring sheet. If Ovechkin were on the Preds he would be scratch for 3 games until Trotz decided that he can play some kind of defense

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:52 PM
SilasAdams

Franson > Sulzer.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:14 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK All Day View Post
Franson > Sulzer.
That's why Sulzer got 28 minutes last night and plays on the penalty kill.

Old
10-31-2010, 02:28 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK All Day View Post
Franson > Sulzer.
Well alright then. I was on the fence about that, but your in depth analysis has convinced me.

Though I'm still a little confused as to why the coaching staff would give a lesser D-man TOI in all situations??? Including more PP time than franson??

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:58 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Already deleted this one off the DVR without watching it... after seeing what the score was, not worth it at all

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:54 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Sarcasm? Or is he doing better?
Montreal fans all said he can pass like no other, and to me he is really starting to show that he can and you can tell that his skating is better so hopefully that means his toe is healed up so he can be an effective 2 way playmaker

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:40 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
It should also be noted that Sulzer was on the ice for 4 of Detroit's goals.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. Every year we feed young defensemen to the wolves. Our D could be a huge strength, but it's only mediocre because we go with kids-- different from giving the kids a chance; we hand it to them. For example, last year we had to watch Klein play over 20 minutes a game, and was overall bad. What would have been the difference if we had kept Zanon for another million more? I can pretty much guarantee we would've had a higher seed, a better PK, and Zanon's playoff performance would have exceed Klein. Might have been the difference in getting out of the first round.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
cleangene

Guess I should never question not being able to watch a PREDS game over baylor/tex football..Thanks for sparing me the gory details this goring weekend, sportssouth knoxville tn. That "no excuses" sign- was it washed away when flood waters drenched the locker room? It seems to me that REALLY GOOD teams have players step up when others are out. Checking the box score to see that Shea Weber is a co-leader in shots on goal, speaks volumes. This isn't a "sky is falling" blurb, just stating the fact that I've seen this movie before, and it's getting a bit old. Btw, CODY freakin FRANSON still has more goals than goal scorer Marty Erat.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 09:40 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
He was on the ice for 4 goals.

Franson > Sulzer

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote