HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Al Iafrate's Stick Flex

Old
10-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Al Iafrate's Stick Flex

Al Iafrate, holder of the hardest slapshot for many years, who's 6'4 240...uses a 100 flex stick. And he says your stick's probably too stiff.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:14 PM
RichNash61

Jarick,
Thanks for finding this!

Dave

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:34 PM
robmneilson

Good video, but man...whoever shoots these REALLY needs to invest in a lavalier mic!

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:46 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
Good video, but man...whoever shoots these REALLY needs to invest in a lavalier mic!
He has to be mic'ed for that kind of interview. I like what he had to say about flex. In game time speed your shots are usually under pressure where you won't be able to use perfect technique, footwork or use your hands properly, comes in handy to have a little extra flex.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:46 PM
dannythekid

What happened to his skullet? I'm so disappointed.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 06:30 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Meh, it's relative. I'm a forward who's about 185 but I have been told that I "flex the s***" out of my 105 flex on slappers and one-timers. I really don't care about loading my wrister much in a game because I only focus on getting it off quickly. As long as I can get some flex on my snapper and not a lot while giving or receiving a pass, it works for me.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:00 AM
ponder

Agreed! I'm 6', 185 lbs, have been playing hockey since I was 8, and I use a 77 flex. Not sure if this is true, but I've heard that guys like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk use 77ish flex sticks too, and I think Phil Kessel actually uses and intermediate stick. It certainly looks quite whippy here:

However, it definitely comes down to personal preference, the guys I know who like stiffer sticks feel their shots are more accurate and predictable with a stiff stick than with a whippy one.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 09:32 AM
Cowbell232

As when you get as many sticks as you need using a whippier stick which your going to break more often is fine. I like the trade off of a slightly weaker shot for having sticks last. They're too expensive and I can still score.

10-31-2010, 09:51 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
As when you get as many sticks as you need using a whippier stick which your going to break more often is fine. I like the trade off of a slightly weaker shot for having sticks last. They're too expensive and I can still score.
That's a VERY good point. Sticks tend to break in regarding stiffness after a bit, so a 100 becomes a 90, an 85 becomes a 77 etc. I know he uses about an 80 flex, but anyone notice how many sticks Ovechkin goes through? I've seen him pop through 3 or 4 a game (not all breaking because of opponent slashes either). Hell, go for it if you can foot the bill!

Last edited by BadHammy*: 10-31-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old
10-31-2010, 10:33 AM
ponder

Ovechkin just might put a bit more power into his shots than the rest of us I'm 6', 185 lbs, use whippy sticks, shoot fairly hard, and very rarely snap sticks.

Old
10-31-2010, 01:59 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Ovechkin just might put a bit more power into his shots than the rest of us I'm 6', 185 lbs, use whippy sticks, shoot fairly hard, and very rarely snap sticks.
And he does use a 75 flex stick. Adds up to quite a few broken sticks, but it has an effect. Cam Ward specifically mentioned the whippy stick as a big part of what made Ovechkin so hard to stop in an interview a few days ago.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:33 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
This is false. Whippier sticks don't break more often unless you're eating ice with your shot, and at that point its not your flex you should be worrying about.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:16 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
This is false. Whippier sticks don't break more often unless you're eating ice with your shot, and at that point its not your flex you should be worrying about.
It's true if the stick is SO STIFF a player can't bend it at all. That's probably how this rumor started.

--
stick flex analogy video

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The only way a stiffer stick will last longer is if you're barely flexing it at all. Whippy sticks can eventually crack over time, but if you're taking a ton of ice and really leaning into a stiffer stick just to get it to move, you'll probably end up snapping it anyway, and you're leaving a lot of power on the table.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Agreed! I'm 6', 185 lbs, have been playing hockey since I was 8, and I use a 77 flex. Not sure if this is true, but I've heard that guys like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk use 77ish flex sticks too, and I think Phil Kessel actually uses and intermediate stick. It certainly looks quite whippy here:

However, it definitely comes down to personal preference, the guys I know who like stiffer sticks feel their shots are more accurate and predictable with a stiff stick than with a whippy one.
Kovalchuk uses 95-105 flex sticks.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Pierre Gotye

I use a 65 flex(Intermediate stick), and I am 6'7 215. I wish I had a stiffer twig to see the difference sometimes.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Pierre Gotye

Ovechkin uses a 79 flex?

Old
11-01-2010, 08:41 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I use a 65 flex(Intermediate stick), and I am 6'7 215. I wish I had a stiffer twig to see the difference sometimes.
If this is a joke I don't get it. If true, you're 6'7" and you use and INTERMEDIATE stick? Why? The plug on the end of that thing must be absolutely massive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Kovalchuk uses 95-105 flex sticks.
Fair enough, heard that somewhere, but as I said I was not sure if it was true.

Old
11-01-2010, 10:55 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Even if you don't break the whippier stick, it will "whip out" faster. Though I think better sticks these days tend to whip out much slower than in the past, it's still a legit issue. I also simply don't like sticks bowing on passes unless it's a slap pass. The feeling is just odd to me.

Old
11-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
If this is a joke I don't get it. If true, you're 6'7" and you use and INTERMEDIATE stick? Why? The plug on the end of that thing must be absolutely massive.

Fair enough, heard that somewhere, but as I said I was not sure if it was true.
Not really.