HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

(Nov. 1, 2010) Briere suspended three games by NHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2010, 11:58 AM
  #1
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
(Nov. 1, 2010) Briere suspended three games by NHL

"Philadelphia Flyers Just confirmed that Flyers center Danny Briere has a 10 a.m. call with the NHL office tomorrow (Monday, Nov. 1)..."

From the Flyers Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/philadelphiaflyers

Mod Edit (Nov. 1):

http://www.csnphilly.com/11/01/10/Fl...073&feedID=695

Quote:
Flyers forward Danny Briere was suspended three games by the NHL Monday morning for a stick-swing incident with Islander Frans Nielsen.

Briere went after Nielsen in the final minute of Saturday’s game at the Wells Fargo Center, which the Flyers won in a 6-1 rout.

The incident didn’t deserve three games, but that is the price a player pays for being a repeat offender.

Briere will miss Monday's game at Wells Fargo Center against Carolina, as well as Thursday’s game against the Rangers and Saturday’s Islander rematch on Long Island.

Briere’s absence means that Nikolay Zherdev will go back into the Flyers' lineup ,and likely means Jeff Carter goes back to center. Coach Peter Laviolette would not speculate on his lines.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-01-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Title changed
RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:03 PM
  #2
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Not surprising. I say 3 game suspension.

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:03 PM
  #3
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,511
vCash: 500
Probably just giving him a raise.


OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:03 PM
  #4
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
If he even gets suspended I'd be extremely upset. A fine or warning will be enough.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:04 PM
  #5
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,568
vCash: 50
Did something happen for him to get suspended during the game last night? I left my computer after the 2nd period

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:05 PM
  #6
JABEE
Registered User
 
JABEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pswgm36vmQ0

I still think what Savard did last year was worse and received no suspension.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:05 PM
  #7
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Definite suspension. I read somewhere that they don't call you to the office otherwise. 3 game minimum

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:07 PM
  #8
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,379
vCash: 1412
This is a clip...



As is the norm, the history of the player and whether the NHL has issued prior warnings will be taken into account. The NHL has a sketchy history with these matters, too.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-31-2010 at 12:15 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:08 PM
  #9
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pswgm36vmQ0

I still think what Savard did last year was worse and received no suspension.
That was just so disgusting to watch. The game has no place for that kind of nonsense. Fight with your hands, not your stick.

That said, Briere was in the wrong as well. He will most likely be punished by means of suspension.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:09 PM
  #10
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,528
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Definite suspension. I read somewhere that they don't call you to the office otherwise. 3 game minimum
I think it is just a conference call. Most likely a fine or 1 game at most. Tough to suspend him though when Avery gets no games for his stick swinging against the Leafs, which connected and had way more intent than what Danny B did .

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:14 PM
  #11
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I think it is just a conference call. Most likely a fine or 1 game at most. Tough to suspend him though when Avery gets no games for his stick swinging against the Leafs, which connected and had way more intent than what Danny B did .
Wasn't to the head, though.

He will probably be suspended... or, at least, should be. However, the league has surprised me consistently with their ineptness on the suspension front... so who the F knows?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:15 PM
  #12
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,528
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Wasn't to the head, though.

He will probably be suspended... or, at least, should be. However, the league has surprised me consistently with their ineptness on the suspension front... so who the F knows?


Could be anywhere from a $1000 fine to a 10 game suspension

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:15 PM
  #13
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Has Briere been suspended before? Because if not, he may be okay.

The league likes to go after the repeat offenders.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:16 PM
  #14
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Has Briere been suspended before? Because if not, he may be okay.
Yes... got suspended for that hit in Colorado last year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:17 PM
  #15
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yes... got suspended for that hit in Colorado last year.
Ahh, he's screwed.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:17 PM
  #16
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,379
vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Has Briere been suspended before? Because if not, he may be okay.

The league likes to go after the repeat offenders.
With Buffalo, he was suspended two games for an incident with Brian Leetch. One two-gamer with Philly in 2009.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:18 PM
  #17
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Briere should be suspended.

However, Briere being a badass and Pronger humiliating the Islanders is so much fun to watch.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:21 PM
  #18
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,379
vCash: 1412
And the "fig leafs..."



Retaliation for this board...



Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-31-2010 at 12:29 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
  #19
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Say what you will about Briere, he isn't afraid to stick someone.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:23 PM
  #20
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,568
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Say what you will about Briere, he isn't afraid to stick someone.
Too true.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:39 PM
  #21
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
the fact that he is a flyers will also add at least 1 game. Then Shooter will take the suspension n stride instead of saying something about it is my guess.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:39 PM
  #22
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Say what you will about Briere, he isn't afraid to stick someone.
It takes a real man to hit someone with a stick? :-p

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:53 PM
  #23
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
That was just so disgusting to watch. The game has no place for that kind of nonsense. Fight with your hands, not your stick.

That said, Briere was in the wrong as well. He will most likely be punished by means of suspension.
Briere didn't go about it in the classiest hockey way, but he obviously wasn't going to take Nielsen's crap there. Lip reading seems like Nielsen was leaning over Briere before the faceoff saying "You want someone, come at me," no idea what Briere's verbal response was.

The Islanders didn't feel like losing by five goals without making their mark, and they came off like toolish goons. Problem is that no one on this team will just sit there are take it. I still think Briere will get 1 or 3 games out of this, but he wasn't in the wrong in my mind to get some measure of retaliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
the fact that he is a flyers will also add at least 1 game. Then Shooter will take the suspension n stride instead of saying something about it is my guess.
Not a chance. Whatever the league says he'll stick to. No way Holmgren or Lavi keeps Briere off the ice longer than Bettman/Campbell decide.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:53 PM
  #24
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
It wasn't really that bad. 1 game would be fair

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:56 PM
  #25
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Briere didn't go about it in the classiest hockey way, but he obviously wasn't going to take Nielsen's crap there. Lip reading seems like Nielsen was leaning over Briere before the faceoff saying "You want someone, come at me," no idea what Briere's verbal response was.

The Islanders didn't feel like losing by five goals without making their mark, and they came off like toolish goons. Problem is that no one on this team will just sit there are take it. I still think Briere will get 1 or 3 games out of this, but he wasn't in the wrong in my mind to get some measure of retaliation.
In theory, he wasn't wrong. I'm all for Briere not taking other people's crap. He's a small player, and he's going to get frustrated by what happens to him out there.

However, Briere cannot resort to his stick in that scenario.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.