HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Powe & Nodl . . . Hands Transplant?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2010, 12:28 PM
  #1
FlyerX
Registered User
 
FlyerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Powe & Nodl . . . Hands Transplant?

Their skating and attention to defense was always OK to good but their hands were bricks . . . until . . . .

Powe started showing real improvement last playoffs and Nodl has looked almost skilled so far this season. We'll take it, but what happened?

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:30 PM
  #2
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Their skating and attention to defense was always OK to good but their hands were bricks . . . until . . . .

Powe started showing real improvement last playoffs and Nodl has looked almost skilled so far this season. We'll take it, but what happened?
they each got one of Maroon's hands before we got rid of him

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:31 PM
  #3
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Their skating and attention to defense was always OK to good but their hands were bricks . . . until . . . .

Powe started showing real improvement last playoffs and Nodl has looked almost skilled so far this season. We'll take it, but what happened?
Powe will taper off offensively. He had a great start last year remember?

It also helps to be put in a position to score. He has great speed and works hard. With good players next to him that's going to a recipe for success. He won't drop a ton of points, but he'll get a decent amount.

Nodl is the same way in a sense. He has better hands but isn't as fast. He just seems to freeze up around the net. It'll come. He won't be a huge point-producer, but he's going to get his fair share with some good linemates.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:44 PM
  #4
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Powe will taper off offensively. He had a great start last year remember?

It also helps to be put in a position to score. He has great speed and works hard. With good players next to him that's going to a recipe for success. He won't drop a ton of points, but he'll get a decent amount.

Nodl is the same way in a sense. He has better hands but isn't as fast. He just seems to freeze up around the net. It'll come. He won't be a huge point-producer, but he's going to get his fair share with some good linemates.
Nodl needs to play a more straight-line game. He tries to go wide too much and/or doesn't shoot when he's in a decent location to do so... I mean, in all seriousness, how many wraparounds has he attempted so far this year? For some reason he loves to get the puck in the circle and try to get all away around the net to create a scoring chance.

A lot of Nodl's problem is in his approach.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:52 PM
  #5
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Nodl needs to play a more straight-line game. He tries to go wide too much and/or doesn't shoot when he's in a decent location to do so... I mean, in all seriousness, how many wraparounds has he attempted so far this year? For some reason he loves to get the puck in the circle and try to get all away around the net to create a scoring chance.

A lot of Nodl's problem is in his approach.
Agreed entirely.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:55 PM
  #6
FlyerX
Registered User
 
FlyerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Nodl needs to play a more straight-line game. He tries to go wide too much and/or doesn't shoot when he's in a decent location to do so... I mean, in all seriousness, how many wraparounds has he attempted so far this year? For some reason he loves to get the puck in the circle and try to get all away around the net to create a scoring chance.

A lot of Nodl's problem is in his approach.
That could apply to the whole team at times. When they get cute and try to play on the perimeter is when their scoring suffers.

Not that the Flyers have been a team that develops young players very well, but these guys had noticeably bad hands and now they look OK.

It isn't really about the numbers or the results, they just look a lot better with the puck on their stick and I can't recall another instance of that here off the top of my head.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:55 PM
  #7
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Powe has been very good this season yet again. Looks even improved from last year. Of course people like NWO will come in here and try to disparage the guy

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:58 PM
  #8
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Powe is Powe, he's an okay 4th liner and a great PKer.

Nodl has impressed me. I don't think he'll ever have great hands, but it seems like he's figured a couple things out at least and realized that if he wants to make it in the NHL, he's going to have to work his socks off. He's a great skater, he takes the body, gets back defensively, and forechecks okay. Guys like that have value.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:01 PM
  #9
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Powe has been very good this season yet again. Looks even improved from last year. Of course people like NWO will come in here and try to disparage the guy
I will? ok, why not. Powe is a 4th line player, nothing more. He plays his role fine. Asking any thing more from him long term he will be exposed. Did i miss anything?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:04 PM
  #10
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Nodl has impressed me.... Guys like that have value.
Not to pick on you, but not too long ago there was definitely a faction that thought Nodl had basically no value; that he wouldn't amount to much other than a fourth-liner, and not a particularly great fourth-liner at that.

I don't remember if you were part of that group or not.

Nodl's definitely got some talent. As Jester said though, he needs to north-->south his game a lot more. Powe gets his points in a north-->south way.

He's got talent, but he's not going to be a dangle king around the net like Giroux and Briere and Leino. He needs to stop trying to do that.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:07 PM
  #11
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
That could apply to the whole team at times. When they get cute and try to play on the perimeter is when their scoring suffers.

Not that the Flyers have been a team that develops young players very well, but these guys had noticeably bad hands and now they look OK.

It isn't really about the numbers or the results, they just look a lot better with the puck on their stick and I can't recall another instance of that here off the top of my head.
I'm not sure Powe's hands look all that different... he just doesn't F around, and that'll get you some goals. Nodl, on the other hand, F's around.

He has 2 goals on 6 shots right now.

Related to the conversation about Carter (that is always ongoing), you need to shoot the puck if you want to score goals. Moreover, he isn't fast enough/skilled enough to be messing around with constantly trying to go around guys... just put the puck on net.

Powe's numbers might be slightly inflated right now, but I don't think 30 pts are out of the realm of possibility for him playing with the top 9. Assists will come by accident with those guys, and Powe will get some goals just by going to the net. I mean, hell, he did a great job almost getting Timonen his second goal by going to the net.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:10 PM
  #12
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Not to pick on you, but not too long ago there was definitely a faction that thought Nodl had basically no value; that he wouldn't amount to much other than a fourth-liner, and not a particularly great fourth-liner at that.

I don't remember if you were part of that group or not.

Nodl's definitely got some talent. As Jester said though, he needs to north-->south his game a lot more. Powe gets his points in a north-->south way.

He's got talent, but he's not going to be a dangle king around the net like Giroux and Briere and Leino. He needs to stop trying to do that.
for whatever reason the guy is afraid to shoot. Always tries to cycle it behind the net or to always look to the point and pass.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:14 PM
  #13
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Not to pick on you, but not too long ago there was definitely a faction that thought Nodl had basically no value; that he wouldn't amount to much other than a fourth-liner, and not a particularly great fourth-liner at that.

I don't remember if you were part of that group or not.

Nodl's definitely got some talent. As Jester said though, he needs to north-->south his game a lot more. Powe gets his points in a north-->south way.

He's got talent, but he's not going to be a dangle king around the net like Giroux and Briere and Leino. He needs to stop trying to do that.
Meh, I believe I said his ceiling was a good 4th liner or a marginal 3rd line guy.

Still tough to say what he'll become, I really don't think he has much of an offensive game.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:31 PM
  #14
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
I think it's funny when people say Nodl will never have hands, he was a known scorer when we got him. Who knows? Maybe he's a slow developer and now with a little confidence his true offensive capabilities will come out a bit.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:33 PM
  #15
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I think it's funny when people say Nodl will never have hands, he was a known scorer when we got him. Who knows? Maybe he's a slow developer and now with a little confidence his true offensive capabilities will come out a bit.
The only guys in the NHL that weren't "goal scorers" at lower levels are the gooniest of goons, and grindiest of grinders. It's really hard to get noticed and make it to the professional level without displaying the ability to score against weaker competition.

Riley Cote had 28 goals in the WHL his final year there.

These guys all have "hands" if your comparing 'em to other junior players.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:36 PM
  #16
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,052
vCash: 500
I was thinking of the Futurama episode where Fry and the Robot Devil switch hands.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:10 PM
  #17
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 500
Powe is the kind of guy who has always benefitted from the players around him, but plays a d/energy role most of the time.

When he is on the 4th line he is effective and when called upon he can center, play both wings and be an energy guy on a scoring line. I don't even really see him as a big goal scorer, but when on a scoring line can put a few points on the board. Last year in the playoffs he was expected to a pk guy and 4th liner. He did that well. The playoffs he was on a line with Briere and Giroux and the three worked well together and were the only line that actually put points on the board.

Nodl I see as a Thor replacement. Great energy, can hit and has no idea how to finish. I am not now nor have I ever been on his band wagon, but I like how has been developing and maybe I'll come around on him yet. I think I still see him as a 3rd liner more than anything. If I'm wrong and he scores 20 I'll GLADLY eat crow. I love when our own picks develop.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:17 PM
  #18
FlyerX
Registered User
 
FlyerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Not to pick on you, but not too long ago there was definitely a faction that thought Nodl had basically no value; that he wouldn't amount to much other than a fourth-liner, and not a particularly great fourth-liner at that.
I would say I was among that group . . . but I doubt I ever bothered to post it here. I recognize a big difference in both of their games. They've done the work and deserve the credit. It's not a natural progression, they've made a clear effort to upgrade that part of their game. That sort of improvement doesn't just happen.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:21 PM
  #19
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
It's obvious that Laviolette sees something in him. I think Andy needs to be given more time to see what he is fully capable of.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.