HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Washington

Old
10-31-2010, 07:12 AM
kahlon66

vCash: 500
St. Louis - Washington

The Washington Capitals receive:

David Backes and Barrett Jackman

2 playoff type players, a good stay at home d-man who has another year left on his contract at 3.6 mill and Backes who is a ufa

The St. Louis Blues receive:

Alex Semin

An all out goal scorer for them, who can pot 40 and is a ufa,

kahlon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 08:26 AM
blueswede22

I usually donīt respond to proposals, but I just felt I had to comment on this one...

Why would St. Louis trade away a guy in Backes who is very valuable EVEN if he is not scoring goals, wheres Semin is ONLY valuable when he is scoring goals. If they trade away Backes they loose a guy who can fight, play center or wing and be a physical force on the ice, and all that for 10-20 goals more..?? Not to mention that Backes is probably the Blues next captain as well...

And on top of that they also trade away a very reliable player in Jackman who has been very good to have on the back-end for all the young defensemen coming in, he helped both Johnson and Pietrangelo acclimate to the NHL and he will probably be very valuable for Cole next year as well...

So no from St. Louis I would think...

blueswede22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswede22 View Post
I usually donīt respond to proposals, but I just felt I had to comment on this one...

Why would St. Louis trade away a guy in Backes who is very valuable EVEN if he is not scoring goals, wheres Semin is ONLY valuable when he is scoring goals. If they trade away Backes they loose a guy who can fight, play center or wing and be a physical force on the ice, and all that for 10-20 goals more..?? Not to mention that Backes is probably the Blues next captain as well...

And on top of that they also trade away a very reliable player in Jackman who has been very good to have on the back-end for all the young defensemen coming in, he helped both Johnson and Pietrangelo acclimate to the NHL and he will probably be very valuable for Cole next year as well...

So no from St. Louis I would think...
No sir. Semin plays in all facets of the game. He's not going to be relied on to shut down a scoring line but his overall play has improved over the last couple of seasons. He is very effective on the PK and he has cut down on the lazy penalties aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he can play a mean set of bongos.

I'm not sure about the proposal.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 09:15 AM
dashtary*

No thanks from the Capitals.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 09:46 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswede22 View Post
wheres Semin is ONLY valuable when he is scoring goals.
you dont know much about semin. he was a regular on the penalty kill last season. he was on the ice for all of 3 ppg's against. meanwhile he scored two shorthanded goals and assisted on a 3rd. he was even as a penalty killer. brilliant play. thats just an example.

one more thing. he was 7th in the league in goals last season. he should be top 10 against this season. if you'd rather have backes than semin, more power to you.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:00 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

As they will need Jackman and Backes for their playoff run, the Blues politely decline, for now. After the playoffs are over, depending on the negotiating status of Backes and Semin, this is something I'd consider.

The biggest problem for the Blues is that by giving up Backes they don't have a top six player to really throw the body and be physical.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:16 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Not speaking for Washington, but the Blues definitely don't do this.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

A little work and the Blues will do this.

Both Jackman and Backes can't be in the proposal. That takes a huge chunk out of the leadership in the lockerroom and on the ice.

In addition, I think Jackman's value is closer to Semin's than the distance Backes makes up: The Blues are over-paying a bit.

Jackman and Boyes for Semin?

or

Jackman and a prospect, like Sonne, for Semin?

That's about as much as I'll offer for a 1 dimensional player like Semin.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:28 PM
capsbaby78*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
A little work and the Blues will do this.

Both Jackman and Backes can't be in the proposal. That takes a huge chunk out of the leadership in the lockerroom and on the ice.

In addition, I think Jackman's value is closer to Semin's than the distance Backes makes up: The Blues are over-paying a bit.

Jackman and Boyes for Semin?

or

Jackman and a prospect, like Sonne, for Semin?

That's about as much as I'll offer for a 1 dimensional player like Semin.
Dude you are clueless

capsbaby78* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Blueshockey2*

I want no part of Alex Semin

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

too much physicality and leadership leaving STL for my liking. If the Blues made this trade they would be one of the softest teams in the league with their remaining roster.

Semin definitely has value, probably more than Jackman & Backes combined...but the composition of the roster changes too much with this deal. Basically, the Blues have the best team in the NHL through 9 games, and they're not going to upset the apple-cart to address a problem that doesn't exist.

STL could definitely use Semin (especially with Tarasenko coming over next year) but they'd probably rather deal from skill & prospects rather than size, grit & leadership.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

I would rather not have Semin. We are playing great right now and no need to disrupt it. Plus he is do for a major rise in contract and I doubt the Blues want to take that on with all the RFAs we have this year.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:16 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I would rather not have Semin. We are playing great right now and no need to disrupt it. Plus he is do for a major rise in contract and I doubt the Blues want to take that on with all the RFAs we have this year.
This. In the end it's just about having to pay 1 player the same salary as both guys going back who would leave huge holes in the roster that aren't quite ready to be filled, and in Backes' case would probably require another trade giving up some major assets to replace him. As his kind of player are hard enough to come by, much less acquire from someone else.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:27 PM
HooliganX2

Semin would be a great addition to replace Boyes or Mcdonald. So for Boyes or McDonald and picks or prospects that are not Tarasenko. I would consider it. Not trying to rip off the Capitals just we don't need Semin. We may not have an elite scorer right now but we have 9 forwards that could put up 20 plus goals. All of our top 6 have the talent to score 30 goals. The Blues will not bite on a trade unless they are ripping the other team off as they are playing very well as a team.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I don't see a fit for either club, and I don't see why two 14-point clubs that are playing well at the moment would make a trade involving central figures on their teams.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Bluester

The way the Blues are playing I would decline. I currently would not want to mess with this teams chemistry.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:51 PM
txpd

24/7 posting boards with less than one trade per month need something to talk about. These threads are much more about why teams wont make a trade then anything.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

No kidding. There are trades over a two-week period leading to the trade deadline. There are trades between June and September. That's it. That's life under a salary cap.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:54 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I don't see a fit for either club, and I don't see why two 14-point clubs that are playing well at the moment would make a trade involving central figures on their teams.
This is the main response.

Value-wise, I don't think the proposal is bad...but in reality its just not worth even discussing since its ludicrous at the moment for both teams.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Concussed

It the Blues are remotely interested in Semin, I'd much rather try to trade Brad Boyes to some other team and then just sign Semin in the offseason than give up two valuable pieces of our current team for someone who can be had for nothing come July 1.

Plus as already mentioned, Blues would be left with a downy soft roster.

Concussed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:33 PM
dashtary*

Semin's getting re-signed...

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote