HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2010, 09:16 PM
  #51
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,103
vCash: 500
Looks like Cameron is an much needed addition for them

Hopefully they'll be challenging for a playoff spot in February.

Rob is online now  
Old
10-27-2010, 09:18 PM
  #52
STUTOMMIES
Registered User
 
STUTOMMIES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fredericton
Country: Canada
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
STU beats Moncton 4-3 in OT. Looks like Lavigne will be out at least another 2 games, according to FreddyPuck.com. Nice to get the win, but it ends up being a "net" loss - pardon the pun.

STUTOMMIES is offline  
Old
10-27-2010, 11:37 PM
  #53
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
STU beats Moncton 4-3 in OT. Looks like Lavigne will be out at least another 2 games, according to FreddyPuck.com. Nice to get the win, but it ends up being a "net" loss - pardon the pun.
We would have likely won the game if not for Lavigne, and I think we should have won it either way (bad goal on a giveaway and a whole slew of missed chances) but it just goes to show how helpful he can be to STU and how stupid that move at the end was. You'd think coming off a 4 game suspension the guy would think about his actions a little more. I doubt Mike Eagles is going to like this much.

timbitca is offline  
Old
10-27-2010, 11:40 PM
  #54
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,103
vCash: 500
He seriously needs some anger management. Goalies shouldn't be suspended this often.

P.S - I read the coaches will also be suspended (1 game)

Rob is online now  
Old
10-28-2010, 07:44 AM
  #55
cishockeyfan
Registered User
 
cishockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
This has to drive STU Fans crazy, heres Lavigne obviously a fantastik Goalie, who is capable of stealing games, like he did in his first game back last night, but than has to showboat and lose his cool, when he should have been celebrating with his team for the victory. To add to the maturity, the good old punch to the Door, after meeting with Eagles in his Office.

Every time, I have seen him play againts UNB their has been temper flares, yelling, slamming of the stick, breaking his stick over the net. Hes gotta get his head in check, and be the most valuable player for the tommies that he should be. Missing 5 of the first 6 regular season games, could have a huge impact on the Tommies playoff hopes

cishockeyfan is offline  
Old
10-28-2010, 08:15 AM
  #56
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
He seriously needs some anger management. Goalies shouldn't be suspended this often.

P.S - I read the coaches will also be suspended (1 game)
Yeah, both coaches were assessed a game misconduct each, even though I have no idea why. Especially on our side since we didn't receive a penalty at the end of the play. And even I could make an arguement for Mike's too, I highly doubt he told Lavigne to do that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
This has to drive STU Fans crazy, heres Lavigne obviously a fantastik Goalie, who is capable of stealing games, like he did in his first game back last night, but than has to showboat and lose his cool, when he should have been celebrating with his team for the victory. To add to the maturity, the good old punch to the Door, after meeting with Eagles in his Office.

Every time, I have seen him play againts UNB their has been temper flares, yelling, slamming of the stick, breaking his stick over the net. Hes gotta get his head in check, and be the most valuable player for the tommies that he should be. Missing 5 of the first 6 regular season games, could have a huge impact on the Tommies playoff hopes
Agreed on all counts. And it might be more than 5 of the first 6 too. I was checking up on playing regulations of the AUS and CIS last night and it mentions that a player receiving a 2nd gross misconduct in a season will be suspended for one full season. I know it's spread over two seasons but you have to think the AUS chair will not take kindly to a guy playing is first game back from a 4 game suspension doing something like that.

EDIT: Never mind that comment about the 2 gross's, he was assessed a Match penalty last year, but that's no better really.

timbitca is offline  
Old
10-28-2010, 09:13 AM
  #57
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,385
vCash: 500
To avoid double-posting, I've got my take on last night on the CISBlog.

FreddtFoyle is offline  
Old
10-28-2010, 01:45 PM
  #58
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Does the punishment fit the crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
To avoid double-posting, I've got my take on last night on the CISBlog.
Reputation precedes the alleged offence: I have read the CIS blog and a pretty fair report from a a known squirrel.
I would hope that a review of the alleged incident would warrent a review of the penalty;very dumb of goaltender Lavigne who seems to have left the "Q" with some Patrick Royisms.

A review should be requested and that is not to say that a penalty wasn't warrented but I do question that of a "gross misconduct"

rantfather is offline  
Old
10-28-2010, 05:07 PM
  #59
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
I may post up video of the incident once the matter is resolved.

timbitca is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 05:48 AM
  #60
STUTOMMIES
Registered User
 
STUTOMMIES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fredericton
Country: Canada
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
I may post up video of the incident once the matter is resolved.
The matter is resolved, he gets 2 games. Post away. FreddyFoyle says there was no contact but the article on FreddyPuck.com says there was. Love to know which it was.

STUTOMMIES is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 07:59 AM
  #61
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
The matter is resolved, he gets 2 games. Post away. FreddyFoyle says there was no contact but the article on FreddyPuck.com says there was. Love to know which it was.
I will add that from where Bill Hunt and I were sitting, by the Moncton bench, that Lavigne looked to come VERY close to touching Leduc's face, but not quite. It happened very quickly, and if you were looking from another angle perhaps it might look like he actually struck him (like the way they stage fights in movies).

FreddtFoyle is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 08:02 AM
  #62
gleanerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Spoke to John Ryan yesterday. According to the referee's report, there was contact -- facewash with the trapper. Even an attempt carries an automatic gross, which carries an automatic two games.

gleanerguy is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 08:09 AM
  #63
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Spoke to John Ryan yesterday. According to the referee's report, there was contact -- facewash with the trapper. Even an attempt carries an automatic gross, which carries an automatic two games.
Huummph. I'm certain I had a better view of the incident than the referee, who had a pack a players between him and Lavigne and Leduc. I know he didn't see the play from the same angle we did. But referees are always right, aren't they?

FreddtFoyle is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 02:37 PM
  #64
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 651
vCash: 500
Lavigne

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Yeah, both coaches were assessed a game misconduct each, even though I have no idea why. Especially on our side since we didn't receive a penalty at the end of the play. And even I could make an arguement for Mike's too, I highly doubt he told Lavigne to do that...



Agreed on all counts. And it might be more than 5 of the first 6 too. I was checking up on playing regulations of the AUS and CIS last night and it mentions that a player receiving a 2nd gross misconduct in a season will be suspended for one full season. I know it's spread over two seasons but you have to think the AUS chair will not take kindly to a guy playing is first game back from a 4 game suspension doing something like that.

EDIT: Never mind that comment about the 2 gross's, he was assessed a Match penalty last year, but that's no better really.
Obviously, not a lot of class shown by Lavigne, but I have to mention that U de M didn't show a lot of class in this game either!!! Failure to control there emotions from the bench. Some of there defense were using foul language that could be heard from the stands (children) and trying to goat Lavigne, especially in overtime when they had just killed a penalty and were about to go on a powerplay. From my view point, this only served to stoke the fire.

RED ARMY EAST is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 04:18 PM
  #65
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
referee wasnt all that great. He didnt really catch much on either side (including a pretty blantant knee on knee by brad gallant,) I also thought if you hit someone from behind its 2 and a game, because a friend of mine and i were debating if they were going to put Cheremetiev back on forward (because seriously....why was he playing defense all game?) and then Banfield was back in the game with 8 minutes left. Also, dont understand how either bench got a game. I understand Lavinge, but seriously, OT winner, how could Mike control his bench and how could Serge control his bench when everyone is on the ice anyways hugging Yuri/consoling Marion.

SnipeShow91 is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 10:21 PM
  #66
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Obviously, not a lot of class shown by Lavigne, but I have to mention that U de M didn't show a lot of class in this game either!!! Failure to control there emotions from the bench. Some of there defense were using foul language that could be heard from the stands (children) and trying to goat Lavigne, especially in overtime when they had just killed a penalty and were about to go on a powerplay. From my view point, this only served to stoke the fire.
And Lavigne was goating them right back. And he's been doing it since he's been in the league too, this isn't anything new. As for the foul language, I got a beverage dumped on me about 11 years ago by a STU fan while I was sitting behind the visitors bench at the LBR. I'd much rather have heard foul language than having to go home all sticky that night.

Lavigne wanted to come here last year, the more I see him go the more glad I am that Lachance came back for a fifth year last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
referee wasnt all that great. He didnt really catch much on either side (including a pretty blantant knee on knee by brad gallant,) I also thought if you hit someone from behind its 2 and a game, because a friend of mine and i were debating if they were going to put Cheremetiev back on forward (because seriously....why was he playing defense all game?) and then Banfield was back in the game with 8 minutes left. Also, dont understand how either bench got a game. I understand Lavinge, but seriously, OT winner, how could Mike control his bench and how could Serge control his bench when everyone is on the ice anyways hugging Yuri/consoling Marion.
I didn't see the knee on knee hit and no one mentioned anything about it to me, but if you saw it i'll take your word for it. The Checking from Behind rule has been changed, it's now a 2 and a 10. The 10's are cummulative though (like any other 10 or misconduct penalties) and I believe after 3 you get a 1 game suspension, but don't quote me on that last part. Totally agree with both benches' misconducts though, if Lavigne hadn't made an idiot of himself, nothing would have happened and both teams would have gone their separate ways. Even with what happened I think the referee should have just let it slide on both sides.

timbitca is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 04:34 AM
  #67
TomBull
Registered User
 
TomBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
As for the foul language, I got a beverage dumped on me about 11 years ago by a STU fan while I was sitting behind the visitors bench at the LBR. I'd much rather have heard foul language than having to go home all sticky that night.
Moncton fans are all class. Blue and gold leotard man, funny stuff. Hope the squirrel fans get to see him tonight, they will probably poke him out if he does the same stunts he did to STU.

TomBull is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 08:15 AM
  #68
STUpid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
I got a beverage dumped on me about 11 years ago by a STU fan while I was sitting behind the visitors bench at the LBR.
Wait... what? A STU fan got a beer at the LBR?

STUpid is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 08:33 AM
  #69
kexodusc
 
kexodusc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUpid View Post
Wait... what? A STU fan got a beer at the LBR?
Actually, I frequented the LBR 2 to 5 times a year back then, never found the beer counter but always saw lots of beer. Man that LBR must have had quite the concession stand, people drank Canadian Club, and Captain Morgan there too.

I had a beer cup (not empty) connect with my head from several rows back at Nationals in Moncton in 2007 when UdeM scored the OT winner vs Laurier. I don't take it too personally though, each team has that small group of fans that cross the line, and I've seen some stuff at UNB games that I wouldn't do (and that's saying something). They tend to only be at the rinks when their teams are winning.

Back in their old rink, being a UNB fan visiting Acadia was a death wish.

I kinda like the fan rivalry - beats an empty building.

kexodusc is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 09:56 AM
  #70
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBull View Post
Moncton fans are all class. Blue and gold leotard man, funny stuff. Hope the squirrel fans get to see him tonight, they will probably poke him out if he does the same stunts he did to STU.
No worries of seeing that guy again, much like the staged 3700+ crowd at SMU, they had held a pep rally at the student pub on campus before our home opener, a huge 100 or so students showed up to the game. No big chances of seeing any of them again until the playoffs, if even then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
Actually, I frequented the LBR 2 to 5 times a year back then, never found the beer counter but always saw lots of beer. Man that LBR must have had quite the concession stand, people drank Canadian Club, and Captain Morgan there too.

I had a beer cup (not empty) connect with my head from several rows back at Nationals in Moncton in 2007 when UdeM scored the OT winner vs Laurier. I don't take it too personally though, each team has that small group of fans that cross the line, and I've seen some stuff at UNB games that I wouldn't do (and that's saying something). They tend to only be at the rinks when their teams are winning.

Back in their old rink, being a UNB fan visiting Acadia was a death wish.

I kinda like the fan rivalry - beats an empty building.
Yeah, the LBR had quite the concessions back then And I agree, any sports team anywhere in the world has it's share of idiot fans, and that's not about to change either.

Being anything but an Acadia fan at Antigonish Arena was almost a death wish. Much like the Antigonish Arena, I won't miss going to the LBR all that much next year... both past their prime for hosting varsity hockey.

timbitca is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 10:50 AM
  #71
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
No worries of seeing that guy again, much like the staged 3700+ crowd at SMU, they had held a pep rally at the student pub on campus before our home opener, a huge 100 or so students showed up to the game. No big chances of seeing any of them again until the playoffs, if even then.



Yeah, the LBR had quite the concessions back then And I agree, any sports team anywhere in the world has it's share of idiot fans, and that's not about to change either.

Being anything but an Acadia fan at Antigonish Arena was almost a death wish. Much like the Antigonish Arena, I won't miss going to the LBR all that much next year... both past their prime for hosting varsity hockey.
Yes, m
Moncton used to let students get behind the visiting bench and pound on metal garbage cans at the Levesque arena.
Remember the old Tomcat mascot of the Tommies? He used to skate around and shoot pucks off the boards, until he got loaded one evening and banged into the side of the Zamboni.
Never saw much of the Tomcat after that! Rum Row used to get on Len Doucet
( Les Aigles coach) to the point, that he tried to get up into the stands one night with a cane.
Maybe Mike can get that old costume back out and dress up lavigne in it!

RED ARMY EAST is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 12:46 AM
  #72
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
caught tonites game...and all i have to say is wow! STU sometimes, is the most inept defensive team i have ever seen. Some of the goals were off the back wall, and usually if you take advantage of that at the lbr, you win, but a lot of those goals were pretty preventable. Dont know what it is, but seriously, a mens league team could clear the puck out of the zone better than the Tommies could tonite. No no, an atom AA team could do it better! It dosent matter if its Lavinge, McFarlane or Guy is in net, unless the puck is out of the zone, your always going to be on the losing end. I dont mind turnovers in the neutral zone when you can take a man going back into the own zone, but when no one is willing to make the sacrifice to come back, then we should be 8th in the league. I have said about STU for the past 3 years, since Butera, Giallonardo, Card, Theriault and Turner left, things have had gone downhill. We score enough to win games, but unless the Tommies improve on the defensive end, its going to be a long season because those guys knew when they got in trouble, they bounced it off the boards or the glass and that puck was out! This defense would rather fire it up the middle or softly give it to the other team, and other than Judson, isint physical enough to be a force

SnipeShow91 is offline  
Old
10-31-2010, 04:32 PM
  #73
STUpid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
The Tommies are a joke. No D, no discipline, no heart, no leadership. I'm getting tired of this. If I want to watch a terrible hockey team on a Saturday night, I'll stay home and watch the Leafs. But you keep thinking this is the year they start to turn it around, and then they kick you in the nuts. I've finally realized nothing's going to change unless it starts at the top. Even Darrell freakin Smith put a winner together. No hope for Coach "best healthy scratch to come out of New Brunswick" Eagles. Tired, tired, tired.

STUpid is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 10:44 AM
  #74
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUpid View Post
The Tommies are a joke. No D, no discipline, no heart, no leadership. I'm getting tired of this. If I want to watch a terrible hockey team on a Saturday night, I'll stay home and watch the Leafs. But you keep thinking this is the year they start to turn it around, and then they kick you in the nuts. I've finally realized nothing's going to change unless it starts at the top. Even Darrell freakin Smith put a winner together. No hope for Coach "best healthy scratch to come out of New Brunswick" Eagles. Tired, tired, tired.
To quote a very famous former GREAT coach of the TOMMIES; "You cannot make chicken soup out of "chicken s**t",thanks to the current coach's ineptitude at recruitng and retaining appropriate candidates.

rantfather is offline  
Old
11-01-2010, 12:46 PM
  #75
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
I've been a supporter of Mike on this site (no clue why) but more and more I'm beginning to side with the rest of you. This team is a joke and can't win a game without relying on its goaltender, who they can't rely on to not make a fool of himself.

timbitca is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.