HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maroon is being removed from the organization (Holmgren quoted, post #101)

Old
10-31-2010, 10:54 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
http://poststar.com/sports/article_0...cc4c002e0.html

Quote:
Holmgren wouldn't get into the specifics of Maroon's situation, but he did say "there's a pattern" of behavior that led up to the decision.

"I'm not going to get into the why's and the how-comes," Holmgren said. "From time to time you have to do things that are not nice in the interest of the team, the organization and the hockey team. And this is a decision that ultimately I made on Wednesday."

Holmgren confirmed that Maroon would not return to the organization. He said Maroon can't be released, but he'll explore options such as a trade or ECHL assignment.

"Pat's a good kid, he's obviously a good hockey player," Holmgren said. "If you give up a player of his offensive abilities it makes it a little bit more difficult, but we thought it was in the best interest of the team and the organization."

Maroon scored five of the team's 19 goals in their first nine games. Heading into Saturday's game, the 11 forwards aside from Maroon had combined for 12 goals in 10 games.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:27 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
At least were trying to trade him?

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
At least were trying to trade him?
The cool thing is that they've publicly shunned him before exploring for a potential trade.

What that does is it increases his trade value exponentially.

Though, all joking aside, what do you want to bet that Homer gets better value for Maroon than he did for Gagne?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:35 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
So did they try to trade him before sending him packing?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:44 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
So did they try to trade him before sending him packing?
It's tough to comment on the matter not knowing the particulars. There's something clandestine about the entire affair.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:51 PM
captainpaxil

why am i having the feeling hell be knubles replacement like he was planned but in washington, i think this ones going to haunt us

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:54 PM
jb**

A pattern of behavior. Sounds like a great guy and teammate.

From Bill Meltzer:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...03110/45/31125

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
It would be this incident that would bring me back to the boards after a long time...

A pattern of behavior is not good. We didn't do ourselves any favors by sending him home, but I bet we had no choice.

If Holmgren tries to move a young, somewhat highly regarded prospect "out of the blue", who has never played an NHL game before -- it will raise questions. If he comes to me with that trade, I'm going to be weary. Reputation or not.

I think he will probably just be sent down to ECHL until a team takes a flier on him: think 7th round pick or cash considerations.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:31 PM
boodangleroo28

Any other players in a similar situation out there who we could make a swap for? like syvret and potultny(sp)

boodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Garbage Goal

I really want to know what this "behavior" is. This is the first I've heard of Maroon having behavioral problems.

Well, there goes out best forward prospect and practically the entirety of the Phantoms' already crappy offense.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I really want to know what this "behavior" is. This is the first I've heard of Maroon having behavioral problems.

Well, there goes out best forward prospect and practically the entirety of the Phantoms' already crappy offense.
I really want to know too. I can't imagine just telling the guy who scored 25% of your goals in the early going to go home.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post

This is the second time I've heard about Maroon's "behavior" problems.

At the end of last season there was a minor fiasco about the Phantoms. It was mentioned in an article. I'll have to look for it.

That said, it didn't seem like it would amount to much mostly because he remained with the team's playoff "extras."

This is certainly not the first incident though. And it's certainly not the first occurrence in recent years of a player within this organization having issues with certain things involving this organization, whether they be coaching, assignment, or other.

It is strange that it would get this far, but I can't help but feel we're not getting told something. Maroon always seemed like a good kid and a hard worker. He's gotten praise at every level. He's fiery, but there's never been problems between him and his teammates or him and his coaches.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
As I recall, attitude was one of the downsides upon being drafted.

Whatever it was, if one game is any indication, the Phantoms are better off without him, and if the Phantoms are better off without him, the Flyers certainly are as well. The Phantoms had their best game of the season last night.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
As I recall, attitude was one of the downsides upon being drafted.

Whatever it was, if one game is any indication, the Phantoms are better off without him, and if the Phantoms are better off without him, the Flyers certainly are as well. The Phantoms had their best game of the season last night.
I was under the impression that the attitude problems coming from the draft were more in regard to weight and conditioning than anything else.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:28 PM
clockwise

Anyone else hear about him getting into a melee \ fisticuffs with Cote?

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:33 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I was under the impression that the attitude problems coming from the draft were more in regard to weight and conditioning than anything else.
Attitude was never a problem.

Weight and conditioning were. Because weight and conditioning were an issue, he was misunderstood as someone with poor work ethic. Instead it was an issue of not knowing what to do so to speak. Since he began with trainers and since we was drafted, he's worked very hard to get to where he's at; harder than most others already in shape and playing competitive hockey their entire lives would have to work.

It's a shame that it came to this.

Old
10-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Kaktus*

So what the hell happen? Attitude about what?

No point keeping it secret now. What was the problem?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Haute Couturier

Panotch weighs in:

Quote:
Sources tell CSNPhilly.com that there were on-going behavior issues with Maroon that extended into the dressing room. Additionally, he did not heed the organization’s advice to lose some weight.

The projected power forward from St. Louis, Miss., listed at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds last season, but had put on additional weight which Flyers’ felt was detrimental to his game. Maroon struggled with weight issues when he was in junior, playing for London in 2008.

“It’s been an issue with him for a while even though he had lost weight coming into camp this year,” said one source.
Quote:
Their signings were a not-so-subtle hint that they weren’t getting enough out of their Phantoms’ personnel and an indirect hint to Maroon that the club expected more from him. He was hyped as the “next” in line to join the Flyers.

Maroon came to training camp this fall and failed to impress. In fact, he was buried far behind Testwuide and Wellwood, both of whom had outstanding camps with the Flyers, but still didn’t make the final roster cut.

“He probably thought the organization had given up on him and went back and wasn’t very happy,” said one person
http://www.csnphilly.com/10/31/10/Ph...606&feedID=704

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:13 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Attitude was never a problem.

Weight and conditioning were. Because weight and conditioning were an issue, he was misunderstood as someone with poor work ethic. Instead it was an issue of not knowing what to do so to speak. Since he began with trainers and since we was drafted, he's worked very hard to get to where he's at; harder than most others already in shape and playing competitive hockey their entire lives would have to work.

It's a shame that it came to this.
it was over the last year. Its not a shame at all. The guy needs to grow up. He acts imo like the organization owes him something. As Shooter said, this isnt a one off incident. They have given him chances and he blew those chances.So he thought he was untouchable and continued to act in a detrimental way. Maybe this wake shim up and he figures things out. They sent a message to every young prospect that certain thigns will nto be tolerated

Old
10-31-2010, 06:51 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
it was over the last year. Its not a shame at all. The guy needs to grow up. He acts imo like the organization owes him something. As Shooter said, this isnt a one off incident. They have given him chances and he blew those chances.So he thought he was untouchable and continued to act in a detrimental way. Maybe this wake shim up and he figures things out. They sent a message to every young prospect that certain thigns will nto be tolerated
You are correct. It has been an issue recently, and his dismissal is obvious. He didn't have a history of it beforehand though.

And it is a shame. Regardless of who was at fault, the end result is a ton of wasted talent.

Old
10-31-2010, 06:58 PM
jb**

Quote:
You are correct. It has been an issue recently, and his dismissal is obvious. He didn't have a history of it beforehand though.

And it is a shame. Regardless of who was at fault, the end result is a ton of wasted talent.
Correct he didnt. I wold imagine Maroon wont say a word until he is traded. Maroon was at fault. How can you say otherwise? This was an on going problem that he imo he didnt take seriously, now he is paying the ultimate price. Add to the fact that the flyers are a second chance haven, other teams really will be leary. However someone will take a chance. Wonder if it really is unrepairable? Probably though i suppose since the decision was made on wednesday. Not in my opinion is it a ton of wasted talent.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Correct he didnt. I wold imagine Maroon wont say a word until he is traded. Maroon was at fault. How can you say otherwise? This was an on going problem that he imo he didnt take seriously, now he is paying the ultimate price. Add to the fact that the flyers are a second chance haven, other teams really will be leary. However someone will take a chance. Wonder if it really is unrepairable? Probably though i suppose since the decision was made on wednesday. Not in my opinion is it a ton of wasted talent.
I wouldn't be shocked either way. Someone could take a chance and someone could not.

This is a professional organization. If you cause a ruckus at your job and go to another one to seek employment, they're going to call up your former boss and ask what's up. This incident will stick with him the rest of his career. It very possibly could have cost him his career.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:27 PM
kicksave27

Alot of players develop "attitude problems" when they know their coach is an idiot. Maybe they should have replaced their coach instead of dropping their leading scorer.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Larry44

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked either way. Someone could take a chance and someone could not.

This is a professional organization. If you cause a ruckus at your job and go to another one to seek employment, they're going to call up your former boss and ask what's up. This incident will stick with him the rest of his career. It very possibly could have cost him his career.
Instead of working on his skating, he played ball hockey this summer.

He's got a great future in ball hockey.

Car!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
He was scoring goals. I do not think weight had anything to do with it.

There had to be a reason why he only played in one pre-season game. He did not look slow in that game.
My guess, he got pissed of because he thought Nodl took "his spot".

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote