HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Ryan Parent - Start of his Career Sputtering Along

Old
10-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Ryan Parent - Start of his Career Sputtering Along

As Ben Kuzma notes Ryan Parent is learning as much about the CBA and waiver system and the medical system than hockey systems.

If Ballard and/or Hamhuis come back in the next few days and stay healthy then it looks like D-Day for Parent will be November 6, That is when his waivers expire and he would have to clear waivers again to be sent to the Moose.
Ryan Parent has endured back and shoulder surgeries the last two years, has been traded three times in a slow-starting career including twice in the last four months and cleared waivers in October, but wasn't re-assigned to the Manitoba Moose.

You'd think the Vancouver Canucks defenceman was 33, not 23.

When the latest roster scenario was run by the blueliner, it wasn't surprising he almost quoted the collective bargaining agreement. To be exempt from waivers for assignment to the Moose, Parent knows he can't play in 10 NHL games or be on the club roster for more than 30 days since clearing waivers.

The games aren't the issue because Parent has appeared in four. But he cleared waivers on Oct. 6, so the clock is ticking on a decision that's complicated with Dan Hamhuis (foot) and Keith Ballard (concussion) still sidelined.
And how do the Canucks see Parent fitting in? It is what it is?
"I didn't know Ryan, so I just let him play to see what we have to work with," said Canucks associate coach Rick Bowness, who guides the defence. "We'll work with what he shows us rather than breaking down his game. You go into that [Minnesota game] knowing he's rusty and nervous and give him the benefit of the doubt. You don't get beat up by that or make pre-determined decisions.

"You have to let him bring what he brings, not what you hope he brings."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...#ixzz13y4JeHxz

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Parent has looked OK as a depth defensemen thus far, no real complaints. It's unfortunate that he's had such a rocky start to his career, but hopefully he can either stick with the club in a depth capacity or fill a big role in Manitoba if he manages to clear waivers.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:35 PM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

So we can send him to Manitoba before Friday and he won't have to clear waivers? I think that could be done.

NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Lard_Lad

Even if Hamhuis and Ballard weren't ready by the time Parent has to go down, which seems unlikely, it wouldn't hurt much to start bringing some of the young defencemen up for a short look. He hasn't looked grossly out of place, but he'd probably be best served getting 20+ minutes a night in Manitoba rather than watching 50 games from the pressbox here.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:45 PM
El Duderino

Just a quick question for the CBA-knowledgeable folks on this board, if he is sent down to Manitoba before having to clear waivers, and if 2 months down the road we need his services, will he need to clear re-entry waivers?

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:46 PM
dmacgreg37

I don't understand a ton of the new CBA, would he need re-entries to come back up later?

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Just a quick question for the CBA-knowledgeable folks on this board, if he is sent down to Manitoba before having to clear waivers, and if 2 months down the road we need his services, will he need to clear re-entry waivers?
Yeah, he will. Only way he wouldn't is if he was on a two-way contract with an AHL value under $105k (like Schaefer signed), but he's on a one-way.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Ernie

yes, he would need to clear re-entry waivers to be brought back up from the minors.

doubt he's sent down though. Canucks want to carry 8 defensemen, so if a roster move is made, it will likely be at forward. Bolduc should be a candidate to be put on LTIR.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:07 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

It's a shame for him; I remember when he was dealt to Philly in the Forsberg deal, he was very much the centerpiece, and a guy Philly expected to be a dominating defenseman in the very near future.

And now? He is the number 9 defenseman on a deep WC team, is struggling to learn an entirely new system, and appears to be lost in the shuffle. It's a real shame, as everyone thought he had massive potential as recent as two years ago.

SonicY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

The kid still has some definite upside; it's too bad he literally handles the puck like a grenade and has numerous hiccups to his game when under pressure down-low. He's been decent in transition, has some good wheels, and his reads aren't really all that bad, but he's got some real issues with the puck.

As mentioned, he's still a project, but a somewhat promising one who should be getting the aforementioned top shut-down minutes on the Moose to get his development back on track.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Wetcoaster

Parent left Sunday's practice early with what Vigneault described as a minor groin strain.
http://communities.canada.com/vancou...ay-monday.aspx

Old
10-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Parent left Sunday's practice early with what Vigneault described as a minor groin strain.
http://communities.canada.com/vancou...ay-monday.aspx
This is almost getting comical.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:32 PM
galiano

Really too bad Parent can't be brought back without clearing waivers. Playing big minutes with the Moose would seem to be exactly what he needs. Maybe they send him down and just leave him there until the playoffs when I think he can be brought back without having to clear.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:04 PM
MS

Yeah, he needs to go the AHL ASAP.

Like I've said a few times before, he has the package you look for in a solid NHL defensive defender - he's big, he skates very well, he thinks the game well positionally.

He just has no confidence, especially with the puck. He was a guy that came out of the OHL needing to work on his skills, but because his defensive game was fairly advanced, ended up spending most of the last 3 years as a #7 defender in Philly instead. And when you're a kid fresh out of junior trying to survive in the NHL, you're just making the safest play possible instead of developing your puck skills. Was the worst thing possible for his long-term development.

Needs to go to the AHL, play 22-24 minutes/game for the rest of the season, work on making decisions with the puck and improving his outlet passing, and developing more of a physical edge.

If he can find some confidence, he could be a player down the road hopefully. But right now he's just too tentative.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
He got thrown into the mix here and survived afaic but I guess if you're a prospect, you're expected to prosper (prospect?) not just survive.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Red

Yeah, he really needs a full season in the AHL to work on his puck skills when he's under pressure. I was quite happy with his defensive positioning and he wasn't running around too much - just does nothing at all when the puck is on his stick. Just too bad we can't bring him up for a few games if we need him. That said, he's still a solid asset and potentially a nice #6/7 defenseman to have next year if he can develop his work with the puck and play a bit more physical.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
This is almost getting comical.
And if he is in fact injured, I do not believe he can be assigned to the AHL and if the injury runs beyond November 6 - yikes.

Get better real soon Ryan.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
yes, he would need to clear re-entry waivers to be brought back up from the minors.

doubt he's sent down though. Canucks want to carry 8 defensemen, so if a roster move is made, it will likely be at forward. Bolduc should be a candidate to be put on LTIR.
I'm almost 100% sure Parent will be sent down before his waiver elligibility re-starts. The Canucks likely want to develop him. Our more natural #8 d-man is Sweat.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
And if he is in fact injured, I do not believe he can be assigned to the AHL and if the injury runs beyond November 6 - yikes.

Get better real soon Ryan.
Say that he's fine and assign him. Then after he joins the Moose, say that he's become injured again. Would that work?

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Ernie

Seems kind of a waste to have Sweatt sitting in the stands though.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Jobal

L. Sweatt deserves a call up. I understand the reservation that he's too small; however, I think he deserves a shot to at least demonstrate his game works in the NHL. He might (doubtful) even be better than our #5/6. I'll say he's better than Rome, though. But with our offensive capabilities, Rome is a better fit.

I'd rather keep Parent in the AHL to develop his skills.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 09:41 PM
GCM
Stork

Another groin strain?

Didn't someone make a topic about how since Roger Takahashi has been our strength and conditioning coach that we've had a **** load of groin strains? It was a compelling argument from what I recall.

Damn.

I hope we can hang onto him and get him a full year in the AHL just to settle down his career. It's hard to get any progress going when one night you're playing for a defensive team and the next you're in an offense-first system.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:05 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
O'Brien>Parent.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
O'Brien>Parent.
Problem is, the way SOB was in pre-season, he was no better than a depth D (#7+) which is what Parent is.

For a guy making $1.6 million, I think his goal should be a little higher.

The way training camp and so far this season has unfolded, Alberts > SOB.

When you considering talent-wise SOB > Alberts; that simply is unacceptable. And the main reason he was dealt.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 12:43 AM
ZyggZagg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Seems kind of a waste to have Sweatt sitting in the stands though.
Waiver exempt.

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote