HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Bobrovsky be Reassigned to AHL on Leighton's Return?

Old
10-31-2010, 09:52 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He definitely has weaknesses that will get exposed. He gets real loose in the net at times when teams are moving laterally, so (similar to Cechmanek come playoff time) I assume we'll start seeing teams trying to get a bit more east-west play happening in front of him. He's quite quick, which makes up for that weakness a bit... but there are times when he's way too far over.

He also definitely gets really deep and small in his net a bit too much right now... for some reason teams are still focusing on shooting it low, but eventually they'll start putting more pucks up and see if he can stop those.

In pure athleticism, though, he's way ahead of anyone I can remember us having in recent memory.
The beauty though is that with Bobrovsky's weaknesses, it's nothing that coaching can't cure. I like that Bobrovsky is working with Reese, but I think a real veteran goaltender of the game (Marty Biron?) would have been ideal. However, I do like the fact that Bobrovsky has been really solid so far in his NHL debut and that his situation is far different from other goaltenders in that he's not being asked to win games for the team in front of him. All what Bobrovsky has to do is just play well enough and that should be more than enough for the team to win.

And yes, in his seven games so far, he's shown that he belongs in the world's best league. So far, his style of game really reminds of Jon Quick in Los Angeles.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Gert B Frobe

He won the starting job over Boucher - nobody knew who he was and he went into Pittsburgh's new building, played great and won the first game of the season. Then the coach goes with him on back to back games and he wins them both. He is extremely quick and with more coaching from Reese and language improvements - he could be awesome.

I think the fact that Laviolette put him in back to back starts shows what he thinks about him - and I seriously doubt he is going anywhere. Boucher can get waived. Leighton has shown that he can sit for a month and come in and play well if necessary.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The beauty though is that with Bobrovsky's weaknesses, it's nothing that coaching can't cure. I like that Bobrovsky is working with Reese, but I think a real veteran goaltender of the game (Marty Biron?) would have been ideal. However, I do like the fact that Bobrovsky has been really solid so far in his NHL debut and that his situation is far different from other goaltenders in that he's not being asked to win games for the team in front of him. All what Bobrovsky has to do is just play well enough and that should be more than enough for the team to win.

And yes, in his seven games so far, he's shown that he belongs in the world's best league. So far, his style of game really reminds of Jon Quick in Los Angeles.
I agree, and think that's a great comparison as far as footwork and stance goes. They're really, really similar in a lot of ways.

One way I think they're different is that Quick always looks very busy in net to me, Bob's a little bit less meticulous about micro-managing his stance and his angle. He just sort of puts himself about where he thinks he needs to be and doesn't move or come out of his stance until he has to. I prefer Bob's approach, since IMO having the perfect angle isn't as valuable as being set and ready when the shot gets taken. I've seen Quick let one or two in where the shot was taken while he was adjusting himself and it ended up making the save more difficult than if he had just been patient.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Bob struggles with traffic, I would say thats his biggest flaw right now

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Traffic makes all goalies lives miserable though.

Old
11-01-2010, 02:14 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

the sentiment is that Bob is the best of the 3 and at the very least most want him to stay up.

in reality though, he's probably going down isn't he?

Last edited by HellasLEAF: 11-01-2010 at 06:38 AM.
HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
the sentiment is that Bob is the best of the 3 and at the very least most want him to stay up.

in reality though, he's probably doing down isn't he?
My guess (and it's just that, a guess), is that it's entirely up to Bobrovsky. If he keeps playing how he has, he most likely isn't going anywhere. How likely he is to do that is anyone's guess.

Old
11-01-2010, 08:56 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I agree, and think that's a great comparison as far as footwork and stance goes. They're really, really similar in a lot of ways.

One way I think they're different is that Quick always looks very busy in net to me, Bob's a little bit less meticulous about micro-managing his stance and his angle. He just sort of puts himself about where he thinks he needs to be and doesn't move or come out of his stance until he has to. I prefer Bob's approach, since IMO having the perfect angle isn't as valuable as being set and ready when the shot gets taken. I've seen Quick let one or two in where the shot was taken while he was adjusting himself and it ended up making the save more difficult than if he had just been patient.
Also, they're both pretty quick.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Cartsiephan*

Do not send Bobrovsky to have to endure what has become a train wreck under Gilbert. He needs to stay and continue getting supervision under Reese.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:04 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Do not send Bobrovsky to have to endure what has become a train wreck under Gilbert. He needs to stay and continue getting supervision under Reese.
agreed, even if his playing time drops a little.

I'm of the mind that he shouldn't even lose the starting job if he grasps it firmly by the time Leighton gets back.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Noticed what I thought was a difference in his stance the other night, I thought he tended to keep his glove more up by his ear instead of down by his side. Maybe I was just paying more attention to the little details but it looked like a change to help him adjust to traffic and blind shots. His pad can take away the low stuff, but his glove is pretty quick too. Impressed to say the least so far.

Old
11-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
agreed, even if his playing time drops a little.

I'm of the mind that he shouldn't even lose the starting job if he grasps it firmly by the time Leighton gets back.
I do not even care if they give Leighton and Bobrovsky an even number of starts up into the spring and then take the hot hand and put him between the posts for the last month. I would assume Laviolette is going to give Bobrovsky a break considering his career game high is 35 games.

Old
11-01-2010, 12:45 PM
kicksave27

It's alot easier to make a quick/reflexes based goalie more calm and technical than is to make a big slow goalie (ala leighton) quicker. And one with a bad back at that.

My only pet peeve with him is that he needs to be more upright in the butterfly, and also to stay up longer, he's so darn quick it's unnecessary.

When you move laterally in anything other than a 2-pad stack, you are going to have holes down low. It's just they way it is, your lead leg knee is going to be down, and your push off leg is going to trail as you frantically try to close the 5hole after the push. For odd man rushes, I actually prefer a 2-pad stack, since the worry of a rebound isn't as great, an you have more pad facing the shot. It also saves the hip labrum from damage. Only some of the 30+ old guys in the league still use it though.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
My guess (and it's just that, a guess), is that it's entirely up to Bobrovsky. If he keeps playing how he has, he most likely isn't going anywhere. How likely he is to do that is anyone's guess.
Was just reading through the thread for fantasy purposes and wanted to say that might be the best user name I've ever seen on HFB. Awesome.

BoyntBergie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 01:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
This.

By the way, Bob gets another start tonight.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:06 PM
ctay

I think its interesting that before the season started this message board was lighting up with people screaming that Bob should not be ruined by being thrown into the NHL too soo (me included). Now it seems everyone is worried he'll be ruined by being sent back to the AHL.

I think the idea for Bob from the start was to move him up and down to give him as much and as varied an experience as he could get. Whoever mentioned he played two great seasons for the KHL's worst team was correct. Poise is the term everyone seems to use when referring to him. He can handle going down to the Phantoms for a while. And if Leighton doesn't work out, they can always call him back up.

ctay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Traffic makes all goalies lives miserable though.
I know, but Bob is very bad with it. Most goalies coming from big ice have trouble with it until the accustom themselves to the NA game

Old
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctay View Post
I think its interesting that before the season started this message board was lighting up with people screaming that Bob should not be ruined by being thrown into the NHL too soo (me included). Now it seems everyone is worried he'll be ruined by being sent back to the AHL.

I think the idea for Bob from the start was to move him up and down to give him as much and as varied an experience as he could get. Whoever mentioned he played two great seasons for the KHL's worst team was correct. Poise is the term everyone seems to use when referring to him. He can handle going down to the Phantoms for a while. And if Leighton doesn't work out, they can always call him back up.
Well, the issue at the outset was that he needed to be playing games... lots of 'em. Him being in the NHL as a backup should not be the situation no matter what.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctay View Post

I don't think he will. He has earned the chance to stay and will get the proper goalie coaching under Reese. They can still keep him up, not burn him out, and be mentally prepared to handle a run in the last month. He has played no more than 35 games in a season previously so keeping him fresh is going to be important, whether it is in the NHL or AHL, so letting him keep with the big club is in some ways helping to continue his development, and at the same time he will not be required to play every night.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

It would seem counterproductive to both the team and the player to send him to the minors.

Hard to look into the crystal ball now but you could see a Bob/Leighton duo with a pretty even split of starts or even Leighton as the backup. Boucher, well, depends how he plays and how close to 100% Leighton really is. If it seems like those two are firm and/or Boucher is not playing well at all and he becomes expendable for either reason, re-entry waiver time. If not, it could be a rare situation where a team carries three goalies. It's not like they are really committed to the depth skaters they have now or they haven't experienced situations last year where that arrangement might have been beneficial.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:36 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I don't think he will. He has earned the chance to stay and will get the proper goalie coaching under Reese. They can still keep him up, not burn him out, and be mentally prepared to handle a run in the last month. He has played no more than 35 games in a season previously so keeping him fresh is going to be important, whether it is in the NHL or AHL, so letting him keep with the big club is in some ways helping to continue his development, and at the same time he will not be required to play every night.
That's the one thing that scares me. He's not helping us win in the playoffs if he's burnt out by March.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
That's the one thing that scares me. He's not helping us win in the playoffs if he's burnt out by March.
Agreed, thebiggest problems with Euro goalies are they are not yet conditioned to a long North American season, Most games Bob's ever played was 35 last year

2006-07 Novokuznetsk Metallurg Russia 9 0 0
2008-09 Novokuznetsk Metallurg KHL 32 gp 1636 min 68 0 1 2.49 7 20 2 865 0.927 - - -
2009-10 Novokuznetsk Metallurg KHL 35 gp 1964 min 89 0 1 2.72 9 22 3 1004 0.919 - - -
2010-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 7 gp 417 min 17 1 0 2.44 5 2 0 188 0.920

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisp...TRUE&pid=98874

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
HoverCarle*

well hopefully Leighton would be decent enough to split games with him when he gets back

Old
11-01-2010, 08:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
Agreed, thebiggest problems with Euro goalies are they are not yet conditioned to a long North American season, Most games Bob's ever played was 35 last year

2006-07 Novokuznetsk Metallurg Russia 9 0 0
2008-09 Novokuznetsk Metallurg KHL 32 gp 1636 min 68 0 1 2.49 7 20 2 865 0.927 - - -
2009-10 Novokuznetsk Metallurg KHL 35 gp 1964 min 89 0 1 2.72 9 22 3 1004 0.919 - - -
2010-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 7 gp 417 min 17 1 0 2.44 5 2 0 188 0.920

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisp...TRUE&pid=98874
I'm not worried about Bobrovsky burning out. The number of games he's played is on par with what Jonathan Quick has played. I'm sure that the Flyers are well aware of the amount of games that Bobrovsky has played in and they will more than likely insulate him when he needs it. Let him run while he's hot right now.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

they're not going to assign him to the minors because you don't send your best goalie to the minor leagues for a couple of guys who are career backups.

great job by scouting for identifying him over other FA candidates playing abroad, and nice work by management in making a low-risk, high-reward move.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote