HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vancouver - New Jersey

Old
10-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
I hope you guys never become a GM of any team... ever.

You do not take a guy that was on a CAREER YEAR line
Who's to say Langenbrunner couldn't benefit the team as well as Samuelsson? You?

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 03:57 PM
TacitEndorsement

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
A big no thanks from me...

Langenbrunner has been brutal thus far, is a UFA at the year's end and makes more $$$ than Samuelsson. Really, they both bring the same intangibles--big game experience and secondary offense. I'll take the guy who's already on the team with established chemistry and a lesser cap hit in Samuelsson.
Besides cap considerations, this sums up why Sammy for Langs is a bad trade. It seems like meddling just for the sake of meddling to me.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Ernie

Don't know much about Langenbrunner's start to the season, but Samuelsson has been brutal so far. Don't let his point totals fool you.

He's underperformed more than any other forward on the team this season. Zero focus, zero hustle. Played himself off the Sedin line in just a couple of games. He's been more interested in trying to make cutesy passes than going hard to the net and using his shot effectively. Has looked scrambly in his own zone.

At this point, losing that third year of his contract could be the best part of any deal.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:18 PM
vancityluongo

I'd love to have Langenbrunner on the Canucks. I don't think they'd be able to take back Bieksa, and I don't want to trade Samuelsson, but what if they got back a low salary defenseman?

At/near the deadline if the Devils still suck, maybe they'd do something like Connauton and a higher pick, with Bieksa leaving in a separate deal to make space cap wise?

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:22 PM
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
I'd love to have Langenbrunner on the Canucks. I don't think they'd be able to take back Bieksa, and I don't want to trade Samuelsson, but what if they got back a low salary defenseman?

At/near the deadline if the Devils still suck, maybe they'd do something like Connauton and a higher pick, with Bieksa leaving in a separate deal to make space cap wise?
I sure as hell hope we don't trade away Connauton for a couple of months of Jamie Langenbrunner...

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:26 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I sure as hell hope we don't trade away Connauton for a couple of months of Jamie Langenbrunner...
Don't want to change the discussion, but I don't really see a place for him on this team in the next couple years and Langenbrunner helps big time for a cup run, which is all I'd really care about. NJ needs a offensive defenseman too, which is why I suggested Connauton. I'd rather trade Sauve) or someone like that, but I don't know if Lou goes for it.

Old
10-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post

ugh.

How much more clear does this need to be?

Canucks are over the cap right now, by about $3.5.

Moving Bieksa will not free up cap space - it will just allow Salo to return to the lineup. When that happens, the Canucks will be nudged right up against the cap.

So if you're going to bring in another player, you need to move equivalent contracts above and beyond Bieksa's salary. Since that's not going to happen on defense, you need to find $2.8m in salary amongst the forwards.

Good luck with that.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
ugh.

How much more clear does this need to be?

Canucks are over the cap right now, by about $3.5.

Moving Bieksa will not free up cap space - it will just allow Salo to return to the lineup. When that happens, the Canucks will be nudged right up against the cap.

So if you're going to bring in another player, you need to move equivalent contracts above and beyond Bieksa's salary. Since that's not going to happen on defense, you need to find $2.8m in salary amongst the forwards.

Good luck with that.
I fully admit I just threw that out there without thinking it over twice.

But, for the sake of my (bad) argument...who is to say that Salo will be back before the playoffs? There have been suggestions that he could be back by December, but conflicting reports also say he could be out until at least April. Secondly, since we're proposing hypothetical proposals, I'd wager that there's probably a injury or two somewhere on the team. Not a very good argument, I know, but there's is a very good possibility (obviously it'd be nice if there wasn't though).

Old
10-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Who's to say Langenbrunner couldn't benefit the team as well as Samuelsson? You?

I'd put my money on a guy who has past success with the line than a guy who MAY do well.

Skead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:26 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
I hope you guys never become a GM of any team... ever.

You do not take a guy that was on a CAREER YEAR line (Raymond, Kesler, and Samuelsson all had career years playing on the same line) and write him off over 9 games. Samuelsson had an average beginning season last year; but after the olympic team announcement he scored 9 goals in 6 games and went 30 points in the games after the announcement...

And the same guy that could be the reason we even made it past 1st round vs the kings with 7 goals; and 14 points in 7 games.

Anyone who knows Samuelsson knows that he is a player that steps up when
a) Criticized
b) Pissed Off
c) When the game is really important (playoff most importantly)

It's 9 games in... he has 6 points... and he's play a little rusty... What do you think is going to happen when he starts playing well again if he has 6 points in 9 games and playing "bad" right now...?
It isn't 'writing Samuelsson off' to trade him for a guy the same age who has been the better player of the two ... for every single one of the past 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Don't know much about Langenbrunner's start to the season, but Samuelsson has been brutal so far. Don't let his point totals fool you.

He's underperformed more than any other forward on the team this season. Zero focus, zero hustle. Played himself off the Sedin line in just a couple of games. He's been more interested in trying to make cutesy passes than going hard to the net and using his shot effectively. Has looked scrambly in his own zone.

At this point, losing that third year of his contract could be the best part of any deal.
Agreed.

Samuelsson was a great deal last season, but the 3rd year of that deal when Samuelsson is going on 36 is a bit scary given how poor he's looked to start this season.

Moving him for a similar-level player who doesn't have that ugly 3rd year hanging there would be an obvious move.

That said, at this point you give Samuelsson more than 9 games to prove himself after the playoffs he had last year. But if this keeps up for another 15 or 20 games you have to look at the possibility that he's lost a step. He's been shockingly poor so far this season, and in the preseason as well.

Hopefully the kick in the ass from Vigneault will wake him up.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote