HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Nov. 1, 2010) Briere suspended three games by NHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2010, 05:05 AM
  #51
Inklings
and you feel shame
 
Inklings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
No reason to have Briere out there having to defend himself in that kind of late game situation. Players were on edge all game and your coach new this. What was Laviolette thinking by putting him out on the ice with one minute to go in such a lopsided game.

With that said. Props to Briere for sticking up for himself. I don't blame him one bit for what he did. I think this easily could have been avoided if the refs would have just tossed one of them out of the circle.


Last edited by Inklings: 11-01-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:16 AM
  #52
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
No reason to have Briere out there having to defend himself in that kind of late game situation. Players were on edge all game and your coach new this. What was Laviolette thinking by putting him out on the ice with one minute to go in such a lopsided game.
Sorry, but that is a really, really dumb argument. Even with one minute left, somebody still has to finish the game. Putting Briere or anybody else out there doesn't really make a difference, and Briere didn't seem like he was on the edge before the incident happened. Also, there were Carcillo, Richards and Pronger out there with him so he actually shouldn't really have had to defend himself. Briere took the matter into his own hands.

I do agree though that the refs could have done a lot to prevent what happened, seeing the yapping that happened before the took the draw.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:42 AM
  #53
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,176
vCash: 50
Any news on a suspension for Hunter?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:59 AM
  #54
PhillyCurt12
Registered User
 
PhillyCurt12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
i'm guessing two games. he murdered me in fantasy last week. bad timing on the suspension lol

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:12 AM
  #55
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,876
vCash: 500
I really think it would be BS if Briere got suspended not only because similar, much worse, instances have happened with no suspension as one poster pointed out, but because what he did really didn't cause any harm at all. The slow-mo replay showed the upper part of the shaft caught Neilsen in the side of the helmet with hardly any force.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:47 AM
  #56
Inklings
and you feel shame
 
Inklings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Sorry, but that is a really, really dumb argument. Even with one minute left, somebody still has to finish the game. Putting Briere or anybody else out there doesn't really make a difference, and Briere didn't seem like he was on the edge before the incident happened. Also, there were Carcillo, Richards and Pronger out there with him so he actually shouldn't really have had to defend himself. Briere took the matter into his own hands.

I do agree though that the refs could have done a lot to prevent what happened, seeing the yapping that happened before the took the draw.
Calling that argument "dumb" is silly as coaches constantly avoid doing that in high stressed end game situations. Its common practice not to put smaller/star players out there like that. Why was he even out there if Richards was on the ice? Why do you need two centers on the ice when you are up by that many goals with such a short time left. It was a bad decision by Lavy and it will cost his team.

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:50 AM
  #57
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Briere should just urinate on Campbell's desk.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:10 AM
  #58
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Briere should just urinate on Campbell's desk.
Wonder how long of suspension that would cause...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:19 AM
  #59
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Any news on a suspension for Hunter?
You want him to be suspended for a good shoulder to shoulder hockey check?


Seriously?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:22 AM
  #60
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Wonder how long of suspension that would cause...
Who cares....and as he is leaving just leave a big flaming bag of poo on Bettmans doorstep and watch Crosby step out of his office to put it out.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:22 AM
  #61
AaronTrieu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
i think its a 3 game suspension because it was in the closing minutes of a blowout. Should have saved some of that emotion for next game.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:45 AM
  #62
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
i think its a 3 game suspension because it was in the closing minutes of a blowout. Should have saved some of that emotion for next game.
Screw that, Nielson got exactly what he deserved. If Briere gets one game it is one too many. If Briere intiated this situation I could say he deserves something, but it is obvious that Nielson stood on the dot and was trying to intimidate Briere, so eff 'em.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:47 AM
  #63
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Honestly, this never should of happened, if I am reffing a game, and some kid says something or acts like some sort of asshat, he is getting tossed out of the circle and another guy is taking that face off. I've always thought NHL linesman were sub par, they have 3 jobs, and fail to execute at least 2 properly every night, sometimes all 3.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
  #64
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Honestly, this never should of happened, if I am reffing a game, and some kid says something or acts like some sort of asshat, he is getting tossed out of the circle and another guy is taking that face off. I've always thought NHL linesman were sub par, they have 3 jobs, and fail to execute at least 2 properly every night, sometimes all 3.
Good point, suspend the linesman if anyone.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:26 AM
  #65
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,876
vCash: 500
How about a suspension for Gillies? He pushed Briere over when he wasn't expecting it after the play and he could've gotten a concussion! No harm no foul, you say? Seems eerily similar to Briere's light crosscheck, which didn't even leave a stratch on Neilsen or his helmet.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
  #66
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,470
vCash: 500
DarrenDreger via twitter
Quote:
Briere hearing has ended. Now we await a decision.
Looks like we will wait and see.


http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
  #67
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
My guess....2 games, and I'd be ok with that I guess.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
  #68
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,947
vCash: 5792
If they didn't report a non-suspension upon the end of the hearing, he's probably going to be suspended.


I know he wanted to and probably did shut Nielsen up, but he's still responsible for his stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
No reason to have Briere out there having to defend himself in that kind of late game situation. Players were on edge all game and your coach new this. What was Laviolette thinking by putting him out on the ice with one minute to go in such a lopsided game.

With that said. Props to Briere for sticking up for himself. I don't blame him one bit for what he did. I think this easily could have been avoided if the refs would have just tossed one of them out of the circle.
The Islanders were being d-bags and he wanted to embarass them.

Besides, he had Carcillo out there in case there was a fight, and that's why Jody Shelley was on a power play as well. Nielsen is also not a fighter, and doesn't stir anything up, I don't think they thought it would be him starting crap, but I suspect next time he won't have anything to say.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:01 AM
  #69
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,478
vCash: 1333
The discussion as it pertains to the NHL is separate from the impediment to what Laviolette has constantly preached in the self-discipline aspect. He has to be disheartened with the action.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:03 AM
  #70
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,740
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Any news on a suspension for Hunter?
Campbell: "We should probably suspend you, but because you don't play for the Flyers, we'll look the other way"

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
  #71
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
You cannot intentionally swing your stick at another guy's head. Seriously.

I don't think he should get more than a game or two, but to suggest that what Briere did wasn't over the line is being a homer.


Last edited by GKJ: 11-01-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: quoted post was deleted
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM
  #72
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The discussion as it pertains to the NHL is separate from the impediment to what Laviolette has constantly preached in the self-discipline aspect. He has to be disheartened with the action.
Yea I mean, Briere has always acted like a little ****. Next to the other people we've had here over the last 3 years, he's kinda flown under the radar, but he's had 68, 26 (in 29 games), and 71 PIMs. He's never really struck me as disciplined in general -- both when Stevens was here and with Laviolette.

I remember Stevens preaching accountability and discipline but only holding certain people (usually younger, I guess) responsible while Briere gets another stupid penalty.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM
  #73
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,947
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Any news on a suspension for Hunter?
He didn't really do anything.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM
  #74
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,895
vCash: 500
Whatever Briere gets he deserves. You don't just swing your stick like that. It's completely reckless and has no room in the game of hockey. Sure it shows his "passion" and he's "sticking up for himself" but the fact of the matter is he used his stick as a weapon and it hit the opposing player in the head.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:10 AM
  #75
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yea I mean, Briere has always acted like a little ****. Next to the other people we've had here over the last 3 years, he's kinda flown under the radar, but he's had 68, 26 (in 29 games), and 71 PIMs. He's never really struck me as disciplined in general -- both when Stevens was here and with Laviolette.

I remember Stevens preaching accountability and discipline but only holding certain people (usually younger, I guess) responsible while Briere gets another stupid penalty.
Yeah, the whole Stevens calling out Upshall while he had Briere sitting there taking minor after minor with his stick was one of the grossest examples of his bias.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.