HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Nov. 1, 2010) Briere suspended three games by NHL

Old
11-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Inklings
and you feel shame

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
No reason to have Briere out there having to defend himself in that kind of late game situation. Players were on edge all game and your coach new this. What was Laviolette thinking by putting him out on the ice with one minute to go in such a lopsided game.

With that said. Props to Briere for sticking up for himself. I don't blame him one bit for what he did. I think this easily could have been avoided if the refs would have just tossed one of them out of the circle.

Last edited by Inklings: 11-01-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:16 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
No reason to have Briere out there having to defend himself in that kind of late game situation. Players were on edge all game and your coach new this. What was Laviolette thinking by putting him out on the ice with one minute to go in such a lopsided game.
Sorry, but that is a really, really dumb argument. Even with one minute left, somebody still has to finish the game. Putting Briere or anybody else out there doesn't really make a difference, and Briere didn't seem like he was on the edge before the incident happened. Also, there were Carcillo, Richards and Pronger out there with him so he actually shouldn't really have had to defend himself. Briere took the matter into his own hands.

I do agree though that the refs could have done a lot to prevent what happened, seeing the yapping that happened before the took the draw.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:42 AM

vCash: 50
Any news on a suspension for Hunter?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:59 AM
PhillyCurt12

i'm guessing two games. he murdered me in fantasy last week. bad timing on the suspension lol

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:12 AM
JVR21
G

I really think it would be BS if Briere got suspended not only because similar, much worse, instances have happened with no suspension as one poster pointed out, but because what he did really didn't cause any harm at all. The slow-mo replay showed the upper part of the shaft caught Neilsen in the side of the helmet with hardly any force.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Sorry, but that is a really, really dumb argument. Even with one minute left, somebody still has to finish the game. Putting Briere or anybody else out there doesn't really make a difference, and Briere didn't seem like he was on the edge before the incident happened. Also, there were Carcillo, Richards and Pronger out there with him so he actually shouldn't really have had to defend himself. Briere took the matter into his own hands.

I do agree though that the refs could have done a lot to prevent what happened, seeing the yapping that happened before the took the draw.
Calling that argument "dumb" is silly as coaches constantly avoid doing that in high stressed end game situations. Its common practice not to put smaller/star players out there like that. Why was he even out there if Richards was on the ice? Why do you need two centers on the ice when you are up by that many goals with such a short time left. It was a bad decision by Lavy and it will cost his team.

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Cartsiephan*

Briere should just urinate on Campbell's desk.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:10 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Briere should just urinate on Campbell's desk.
Wonder how long of suspension that would cause...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
You want him to be suspended for a good shoulder to shoulder hockey check?

Seriously?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Wonder how long of suspension that would cause...
Who cares....and as he is leaving just leave a big flaming bag of poo on Bettmans doorstep and watch Crosby step out of his office to put it out.

Old
11-01-2010, 08:22 AM
AaronTrieu

i think its a 3 game suspension because it was in the closing minutes of a blowout. Should have saved some of that emotion for next game.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
i think its a 3 game suspension because it was in the closing minutes of a blowout. Should have saved some of that emotion for next game.
Screw that, Nielson got exactly what he deserved. If Briere gets one game it is one too many. If Briere intiated this situation I could say he deserves something, but it is obvious that Nielson stood on the dot and was trying to intimidate Briere, so eff 'em.

Old
11-01-2010, 08:47 AM
flountown

Honestly, this never should of happened, if I am reffing a game, and some kid says something or acts like some sort of asshat, he is getting tossed out of the circle and another guy is taking that face off. I've always thought NHL linesman were sub par, they have 3 jobs, and fail to execute at least 2 properly every night, sometimes all 3.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Honestly, this never should of happened, if I am reffing a game, and some kid says something or acts like some sort of asshat, he is getting tossed out of the circle and another guy is taking that face off. I've always thought NHL linesman were sub par, they have 3 jobs, and fail to execute at least 2 properly every night, sometimes all 3.
Good point, suspend the linesman if anyone.

Old
11-01-2010, 09:26 AM
JVR21
G

How about a suspension for Gillies? He pushed Briere over when he wasn't expecting it after the play and he could've gotten a concussion! No harm no foul, you say? Seems eerily similar to Briere's light crosscheck, which didn't even leave a stratch on Neilsen or his helmet.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

DarrenDreger via twitter
Quote:
Briere hearing has ended. Now we await a decision.
Looks like we will wait and see.

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
DUHockey9

My guess....2 games, and I'd be ok with that I guess.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
If they didn't report a non-suspension upon the end of the hearing, he's probably going to be suspended.

I know he wanted to and probably did shut Nielsen up, but he's still responsible for his stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post

With that said. Props to Briere for sticking up for himself. I don't blame him one bit for what he did. I think this easily could have been avoided if the refs would have just tossed one of them out of the circle.
The Islanders were being d-bags and he wanted to embarass them.

Besides, he had Carcillo out there in case there was a fight, and that's why Jody Shelley was on a power play as well. Nielsen is also not a fighter, and doesn't stir anything up, I don't think they thought it would be him starting crap, but I suspect next time he won't have anything to say.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:01 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1333
The discussion as it pertains to the NHL is separate from the impediment to what Laviolette has constantly preached in the self-discipline aspect. He has to be disheartened with the action.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:03 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Campbell: "We should probably suspend you, but because you don't play for the Flyers, we'll look the other way"

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Jester

You cannot intentionally swing your stick at another guy's head. Seriously.

I don't think he should get more than a game or two, but to suggest that what Briere did wasn't over the line is being a homer.

Last edited by GKJ: 11-01-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: quoted post was deleted
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The discussion as it pertains to the NHL is separate from the impediment to what Laviolette has constantly preached in the self-discipline aspect. He has to be disheartened with the action.
Yea I mean, Briere has always acted like a little ****. Next to the other people we've had here over the last 3 years, he's kinda flown under the radar, but he's had 68, 26 (in 29 games), and 71 PIMs. He's never really struck me as disciplined in general -- both when Stevens was here and with Laviolette.

I remember Stevens preaching accountability and discipline but only holding certain people (usually younger, I guess) responsible while Briere gets another stupid penalty.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
He didn't really do anything.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hollywood Couturier

Whatever Briere gets he deserves. You don't just swing your stick like that. It's completely reckless and has no room in the game of hockey. Sure it shows his "passion" and he's "sticking up for himself" but the fact of the matter is he used his stick as a weapon and it hit the opposing player in the head.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yea I mean, Briere has always acted like a little ****. Next to the other people we've had here over the last 3 years, he's kinda flown under the radar, but he's had 68, 26 (in 29 games), and 71 PIMs. He's never really struck me as disciplined in general -- both when Stevens was here and with Laviolette.

I remember Stevens preaching accountability and discipline but only holding certain people (usually younger, I guess) responsible while Briere gets another stupid penalty.
Yeah, the whole Stevens calling out Upshall while he had Briere sitting there taking minor after minor with his stick was one of the grossest examples of his bias.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote