HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Maroon is being removed from the organization (Holmgren quoted, post #101)

Old
10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
As evidenced by what?
Exactly.

Testwuide and Holmstrom look good, but I'm not sold just yet.

It was different with Maroon. He had real offensive potential, was displaying that in the AHL, and had been within our system for years. That's why I thought he was a good candidate for call-up.

Testwuide and Holmstrom don't have huge offensive upside, have not displayed all that much so far in the AHL, and just entered the system. You don't call them up unless you know what's going to happen in at least some way.

Legein is another issue. He hasn't been back long enough to claim he's ready for anything. He's going to take some patience regardless of whether or not he really needs it.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Mike Testwuide or Stefan Legein can serve Powe's role.
You have way too little respect for the difference between being an AHL'er and a quality 4th liner in the NHL. There are plenty of guys with the skills to be 4th liners in the NHL, but a lot of guys never truly embrace it.

On top of that, you have the issue of the relative cap costs and the unnecessary risk of making a change. Replacing a guy like Powe, who is cheap in the grand scheme of things, is silly given that he's effective at his job and the next guy may not be at no real cost gain.

Powe: 725K
Testwuide: 900K
Legein: 816K
Holmstrom: 750K

So, 1) Powe is more effective at his job than those guys; and 2) he's cheaper than 'em.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 10:38 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Maroon and a 4th for Gagne?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:46 AM
bradrich99

There seems to be a line of thinking that STL may be a good destination for Maroon. He is from there and has a close relationship with some of the Blues alumni, especially Kelly Chase. It is thought that Chase and Asst Coach Scott Mellanby have the right approach to get through to him. Chase has worked with him a lot in the past and knows him well.

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
BernieParent

Maroon's POV:

http://poststar.com/app/blogs/?cat=784

And what's more, according to Frank Seravalli:
Quote:
Stefan Legein, a former second-round NHL pick, and Jon Kalinski, who has played 22 games with the Flyers, were told to either right themselves or ship out – with Maroon’s departure as an example.
This just gets better and better!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:45 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

So it's not just Maroon?

Now Kalinski and Legein are part of Gilbert's special group as well?

I have a feeling that Maroon might just be the start. Things are going to get worse before they get better.

Old
11-01-2010, 08:47 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Maroon's POV:

There it is. I thought it was mighty odd that Maroon could have an attitude problem without hearing a peep about the kid who had one with his previous team. Now we know the entire team is a cluster****.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Maroon's POV:

wow... Someone is loosing control of a hockey club?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:49 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
There it is. I thought it was mighty odd that Maroon could have an attitude problem without hearing a peep about the kid who had one with his previous team. Now we know the entire team is a cluster****.
The thing is, this is obviously something that started in recent years.

These problems didn't exist before Gilbert came in. I'm not saying it's necessarily his fault because it would be stupid to claim that without knowing, but there is definitely something amiss going on up in Adirondack. And whatever is going on, it's effecting our prospects.

Old
11-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Cartsiephan*

Does anyone remember when the Phantoms were actually providing some type of a pipeline for developing some talent? What has happened is a total joke.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

These problems didn't exist before Gilbert came in. I'm not saying it's necessarily his fault because it would be stupid to claim that without knowing, but there is definitely something amiss going on up in Adirondack. And whatever is going on, it's effecting our prospects.
Totally agree. One bad apple is one bad apple, but if something is wrong with the whole bunch you might have to start looking elsewhere to find your problem. That said, it could also be that Maroon as the ring-leader for whatever their problems were and they're hoping that the rest fall in line now that he's gone. Those three have been there for a while, so they're probably supposed to be setting a good example for the rest of the kids.

Old
11-01-2010, 08:57 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Totally agree. One bad apple is one bad apple, but if something is wrong with the whole bunch you might have to start looking elsewhere to find your problem. That said, it could also be that Maroon as the ring-leader for whatever their problems were and they're hoping that the rest fall in line now that he's gone. Those three have been there for a while, so they're probably supposed to be setting a good example for the rest of the kids.
I could see Legein as more of that type. Granted, I'm not in the locker room of course, but I find it hard to believe that Maroon could be a "ring-leader" of what appears to be one baby step away from locker room anarchy.

Maybe he was, I just find it a little shocking.

That said, the inability to control a team is a coaching issue. This is a really bizarre situation, and the more I hear, the less I'm finding the blame in Maroon.

Old
11-01-2010, 08:58 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I could see Legein as more of that type. Granted, I'm not in the locker room of course, but I find it hard to believe that Maroon could be a "ring-leader" of what appears to be one baby step away from locker room anarchy.

Maybe he was, I just find it a little shocking.

That said, the inability to control a team is a coaching issue. This is a really bizarre situation, and the more I hear, the less I'm finding the blame in Maroon.
I'm finding it hard to blame him too, but I just wanted to throw out what might be an opposing viewpoint.

Old
11-01-2010, 09:14 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Legein's Future

Tima to maka da pizzas.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:02 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

People also need to remember that Legein was coached by Idiot Stick in the OHL, so the fact that he's part of the infamous group that have turned on Idiot Stick should speak in volumes about Idiot Stick's incapability to keep control of a locker room.

The fact that the jackass wanted to fight with two of his players towards the end of last season should have been an indicator to Holmgren and Paddock that Idiot Stick lost control of the team. Just watch what happens when the full on mutiny begins and guys like Marshall, Bourdon, Lehtivuori, Gustafsson, etc..... all start ignoring him and tuning him out.

Agreed, it's going to get ugly in Adirondack. However, this mess falls clearly on Holmgren AND Paddock for even allowing this to get as far as it has and for continuing to defend a coach who just has zero ability and credibility when it comes to developing prospects.

Now is the perfect time for a guy like Tocchet to come in and change the culture and environment completely in Adirondack.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Tocchet needs to get off of the TV circuit quick..the guy is wrapped way too tight to be a TV personality considering he has no personality (at least on TV). It would be best if they put him behind the bench again rather than behind the studio desk. He is just plain bad....

Old
11-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Tocchet needs to get off of the TV circuit quick..the guy is wrapped way too tight to be a TV personality considering he has no personality (at least on TV). It would be best if they put him behind the bench again rather than behind the studio desk. He is just plain bad....
I wish Tocchet would replace Cotsey. We would get a lot better comments during the game and after.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
People also need to remember that Legein was coached by Idiot Stick in the OHL, so the fact that he's part of the infamous group that have turned on Idiot Stick should speak in volumes about Idiot Stick's incapability to keep control of a locker room.

The fact that the jackass wanted to fight with two of his players towards the end of last season should have been an indicator to Holmgren and Paddock that Idiot Stick lost control of the team. Just watch what happens when the full on mutiny begins and guys like Marshall, Bourdon, Lehtivuori, Gustafsson, etc..... all start ignoring him and tuning him out.

Agreed, it's going to get ugly in Adirondack. However, this mess falls clearly on Holmgren AND Paddock for even allowing this to get as far as it has and for continuing to defend a coach who just has zero ability and credibility when it comes to developing prospects.

Now is the perfect time for a guy like Tocchet to come in and change the culture and environment completely in Adirondack.
I'm sure he's making good money as an analyst in Philly (he's a regular on the Flyers' broadcasts). Doubt he has much interest in relocating to Adirondack and coaching in the AHL.

Old
11-01-2010, 10:18 AM
PhillyCurt12

can we has john stevens back? (for ahl coaching only...)

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:20 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I wish Tocchet would replace Cotsey. We would get a lot better comments during the game and after.
Well yeah Coatsey is pretty bad himself....actually he's pretty much a joke but at least he's a TV personality even though he's our idiot. Tocchet needs to take a chill pill. His analysis is decent but his delivery needs some serious work....the guy can't take a joke and actually I think he wants to kill Morganti....not without reason though..

Old
11-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
So it's not just Maroon?

Now Kalinski and Legein are part of Gilbert's special group as well?

I have a feeling that Maroon might just be the start. Things are going to get worse before they get better.
Given the expansion of the ***** list, I'm assuming it's about partying, showing up hung over, etc. Would that be fair?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Didn't this Greg Gilbert guy ruin prospects in Toronto?

Why do we have this clown?

Front office needs to wake up and part ways with this idiot.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
"I was definitely surprised," Maroon told the Daily News yesterday. "I had no idea this was coming. It's pretty strange when a team calls you and says you can no longer play hockey. There was nothing I could do about it."
Link

Assuming that's true... that's a big *ing problem. Now, Maroon may just have not understood the signals that were being sent, but if they did not have a preemptive meeting to nip this in the bud in advance... then Holmgren is in the wrong for two reasons:

1) He was our best forward prospect as of right now... so getting rid of him isn't ideal, and should be worked to avoid.

2) Nuking a kid's name like they've done without any real warning is simply wrong.

Old
11-01-2010, 10:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Link

Assuming that's true... that's a big *ing problem. Now, Maroon may just have not understood the signals that were being sent, but if they did not have a preemptive meeting to nip this in the bud in advance... then Holmgren is in the wrong for two reasons:

1) He was our best forward prospect as of right now... so getting rid of him isn't ideal, and should be worked to avoid.

2) Nuking a kid's name like they've done without any real warning is simply wrong.
Playing Devil's Advocate. If Maroon really does have this attitude problem (who really knows), acting shocked and surprised may be part of the shtick, or if he wasn't getting it maybe he still isn't.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Playing Devil's Advocate. If Maroon really does have this attitude problem (who really knows), acting shocked and surprised may be part of the shtick, or if he wasn't getting it maybe he still isn't.
As said, he may have just not understood the messages... but there's clearly a failure of communication there if Maroon is being honest with the writer.