HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maroon is being removed from the organization (Holmgren quoted, post #101)

Old
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
He also has to feel a bit sick, even if he probably wouldn't have been the call up, but with Briere out 3 games and Wellwood being the call up, there has to be a part of him thinking that his play on the ice may have earned him a call up (although again, probably not likely considering the events of the past few days).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
Holmgren likes Gilbert even tho the Phantoms are 2-8-1 or whatever they are. last in goals scored and last in goals allowed and the most PIMS in the league. gilbert isnt goint anywhere short term. Sad, but thats how it is. Adirondack will continue to be the laughing stock of the AHL. Whats record for fewest wins in a AHL season?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Link

Assuming that's true... that's a big *ing problem. Now, Maroon may just have not understood the signals that were being sent...
Homer isn't exactly a master of intrigue, nuance, and manipulation. So, if Maroon was unaware of something then he may have a fairly advanced case of Asperger's.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Homer isn't exactly a master of intrigue, nuance, and manipulation. So, if Maroon was unaware of something then he may have a fairly advanced case of Asperger's.
Or Homer may have completely mismanaged this situation... if they didn't sit him down at some point (again, this is supposedly a "pattern of behavior") and make it clear to him what the stakes were, then the Flyers are seriously in the wrong as far as how they handled this.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Or Homer may have completely mismanaged this situation... if they didn't sit him down at some point (again, this is supposedly a "pattern of behavior") and make it clear to him what the stakes were, then the Flyers are seriously in the wrong as far as how they handled this.
Dude, I was joking.

The biggest mistake they made was taking action before trying to shop him around. I'm sure that some word may have leaked out about an attitude problem but now they are in a situation where Maroon cannot be released and has very little, if any, trade value. So, they'll end up giving him away for nothing which is the exact failure of asset management that has hindered this club for years.

I wonder how much longer this team's window to compete for the Cup would have been without so many of these silly ass mistakes.

Old
11-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Dude, I was joking.

The biggest mistake they made was taking action before trying to shop him around. I'm sure that some word may have leaked out about an attitude problem but now they are in a situation where Maroon cannot be released and has very little, if any, trade value. So, they'll end up giving him away for nothing which is the exact failure of asset management that has hindered this club for years.

I wonder how much longer this team's window to compete for the Cup would have been without so many of these silly ass mistakes.
It's not that different than GM Bob Clarke laying into some player in the press, decreasing his trade value before shopping him. "Principle > Trade Value" is not a new concept to this team.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
How many times will Gilbert be able to cry wolf and blame the player? If this happens to anymore players (Kalinski, Legein) I am really going to doubt that Maroon was in thye wrong

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Dude, I was joking.

Sure, but there's a legitimate chance that Maroon is too much of a headcase/dumbass to have understood what the organization was telling him. I wouldn't leap to 100% assuming Holmgren messed up here, and then something happened where they needed to make a move immediately (which would negate the possibility of dealing him in advance).

The entire thing is full of suck.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
How many times will Gilbert be able to cry wolf and blame the player? If this happens to anymore players (Kalinski, Legein) I am really going to doubt that Maroon was in thye wrong
Yeah, I've only heard bad things about Gilbert and this is the first time I've ever heard of behavioral issues with Maroon. Not to mention that he's a best forward prospect.

I'm not going to assume anything here because this whole thing is so ****ing shady, but I'm more incline to believe that the root of the problem here is Gilbert or Flyers management. Who knows though for now.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Sure, but there's a legitimate chance that Maroon is too much of a headcase/dumbass to have understood what the organization was telling him. I wouldn't leap to 100% assuming Holmgren messed up here, and then something happened where they needed to make a move immediately (which would negate the possibility of dealing him in advance).

The entire thing is full of suck.
It's sad that Maroon's departure is even all that big of a deal. A well-run organization would never have a player like Maroon as their blue chip prospect.

I generally find it laughable how much discussion some of these guys get on the board. Nodl, Maroon, Legein, Kalinski, Matsumoto, etc... all of them are just 3rd/4th line guys at best (and like you've noted above, a guy like Powe is both proven AND cheaper.) It's not like we have any quality. None of them are anything that can't be had for $1M during the offseason.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM
smitty10

Why would Holmgren hire Gilbert???

He was terrible with our prospects in Toronto and our team was equally as bad. At least guys like Nodl and Powe got out of the AHL before he could get his hands on them.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
It's sad that Maroon's departure is even all that big of a deal. A well-run organization would never have a player like Maroon as their blue chip prospect.

I generally find it laughable how much discussion some of these guys get on the board. Nodl, Maroon, Legein, Kalinski, Matsumoto, etc... all of them are just 3rd/4th line guys at best (and like you've noted above, a guy like Powe is both proven AND cheaper.) It's not like we have any quality. None of them are anything that can't be had for $1M during the offseason.
Yeah, well, that's what happens when you don't value draft picks.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

To be fair, Maroon was like our only forward prospect with realistic top six potential.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
HoverCarle*

top 6 hands yes
top 6 legs no

Old
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Yeah, well, that's what happens when you don't value draft picks.
With Holmgren, it's more of an ethical issue. He's so dead set against war that he doesn't even participate in the NHL draft.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:52 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Why would Holmgren hire Gilbert???

He was terrible with our prospects in Toronto and our team was equally as bad. At least guys like Nodl and Powe got out of the AHL before he could get his hands on them.
thanks, i was going to wander over to your board to ask about this

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:00 PM
mm6492

I ****ing hate Gilbert. His job is to groom these players, and he is awful at it.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I ****ing hate Gilbert. His job is to groom these players, and he is awful at it.
John Stevens was a perfectly fine AHL coach and he and Laviolette would potentially form a pretty effective "good cop/bad cop" duo.

Old
11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
HoverCarle*

Yeah Stevens is fine in the AHL, as for the most part he is well liked and generally plays the best players

Old
11-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
John Stevens was a perfectly fine AHL coach and he and Laviolette would potentially form a pretty effective "good cop/bad cop" duo.
I agree with this. Stevens is a good developmental coach. He lacks the skills necessary to make players accountable at the NHL level. I would much prefer he were coaching in Adirondack - if people's posts regarding Gilbert are true.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Terence Peterman

I'm mostly pissed because it sounds like Holmgren doesn't even know what's going or what's gone on -- he says there was "probably a pattern" of incidents that led to this. He was only there watching for the weekend. It's not as if he'd been there most or all of the year.

This situation just makes me even more disgusted with the FO, which I didn't really think was even possible at this point.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:44 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
top 6 hands yes
top 6 legs no
Does Knuble have top 6 legs?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:48 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Does Knuble have top 6 legs?
No but his game is not a skill game. Maroon's is.

Old
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Yeah but Knuble knew how to use his hands down low. There might be an argument that Maroon would be better served to embrace that ideology than strive to become a guy with true top-6 legs.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:51 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
His game is be big and have good hands in front. Maroon should have the same exact game.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote