HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers/Jackets at 2010 Entry Draft

Old
11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

vCash: 500
Oilers/Jackets at 2010 Entry Draft

I don't know if you guys have known this, but the NHL Network went inside Edmonton's offseason and did a whole documentary on it (if you haven't seen it, you can watch it on the Oilers website), of course surrounding the Taylor vs Tyler story. But something popped up that involved the Jackets.

Tambelini apparently was VERY VERY interested in Ryan Johansen. So much so that he tried getting another top 5 pick. He apparently called Columbus, and a deal fell through at the last moment.

They wanted 4, it shows that we were on the clock and they offered us their 2nd rounder (31) a third next year (Which is now this year) and a body (unknown who it was) Moments later Steve hung up the phone and said "They wanted Jordan." Jordan being Jordan Eberle.

It looks like they thought about the offer, but chose not to do it, and moments later we go and pick Johansen.

I just thought it was kind of interesting.

If you want to watch the program "Oil Change" Thats what they called it. Here is the link, its in the early part of Act 2.

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...id=44&id=79318

CBJWennberg41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Pretty cool. Good find.

Glad to hear Howson wanted Eberle. That's who I would have gone after as well.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

IIRC, this is also the show that speculated that we also were talking about a deal that would have given us Jeff Carter for the 4th...should that have actually transpired, I would have been the first to have a #17 Carter....

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Pretty cool. Good find.

Glad to hear Howson wanted Eberle. That's who I would have gone after as well.
We must load up on as many skilled midgets as possible.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

well tomorrow we get to see what a team loaded up on skilled midgets with a goalie that was great in his rookie year, then came back down to earth looks like...so that should be fun

Old
11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Nice find...I'll check it out!

"Malhotra doesn't want to go through a rebuild." can be heard in Act 3.

Jordan Eberle. That could've made draft day even more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
IIRC, this is also the show that speculated that we also were talking about a deal that would have given us Jeff Carter for the 4th...should that have actually transpired, I would have been the first to have a #17 Carter....
That would've made sense. We have four #20s (Huselius, Umberger, Vermette, Voracek) & would've had three #17s to go along with them (Murray, Clark, Carter).

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 11-01-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Malhotra reference in Act 3, not 1
CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:39 PM
blahblah

Quote:
well tomorrow we get to see what a team loaded up on skilled midgets with a goalie that was great in his rookie year, then came back down to earth looks like...so that should be fun
Progressive Canadian GM'ing at it's finest. We're looking at our future...

Old
11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Oh my goodness, how great that could've been. Odds are Johansen will never be as good as Carter, not saying he has no chance, just saying it would be against the odds. Especially for us.

But it does encourage me that Howson asked for Eberle, good on Scotty.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Eberle has a history of over-achieving throughout his career, and for that reason alone he wouldn't have been popular in the Jackets dressing room.

It would have been a nice thought, but Howson probably would have just ended up selecting Dalton Smith three picks sooner (at #31). Sure, we get another prospect with the later second round pick, but I'm just saying...

When it comes down to it, would you rather have Johansen or Eberle and two other mid-level prospects?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:31 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Eberle has a history of over-achieving throughout his career, and for that reason alone he wouldn't have been popular in the Jackets dressing room.

It would have been a nice thought, but Howson probably would have just ended up selecting Dalton Smith three picks sooner (at #31). Sure, we get another prospect with the later second round pick, but I'm just saying...

When it comes down to it, would you rather have Johansen or Eberle and two other mid-level prospects?
Pretty tough to answer that when you don't know who the other prospects would have been and the total combined NHL games amounts to like 9 for all 4 pieces

Also, as Oiler fans, we have been talking about this quite a bit over the last couple weeks, as it came out about 2 and a half weeks ago here in Edmonton...we obviously were very interested in the big centre that we have been missing for some time and they were clearly very intrigued at how fast Johansen's progression has been over the last year or so...would have been nice to add him to the prospect pool

With respect to the offer, not sure where you got that part from...#31, a 3rd, and a roster player? I don't recall that being in the episode anywhere...is this something that came out as a rumour afterwards? Not sure who the roster player would have been...my guess it was either Cogliano or Gilbert, since IIRC you guys need a PMD?

The ONLY thing I disagree with is the assumption that we considered moving Eberle...immediately after hanging up the phone and tell Stu, he laughs and dismisses the idea...and later that says that in no way would Jordan ever be a part of that deal

All in all, both teams should be excited because we both got a very good player in the top 5 of the draft!!

Good luck this season guys, and tell Nash to start tearing it up!!

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:22 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
We must load up on as many skilled midgets as possible.
I count two--Filatov and Russell. And I wouldn't call Filatov a "midget" so much as a kid growing into his body. Who am I missing?

Given the way the league is geared towads speed, this team may have gone too much to the other extreme in recent years. Which is why we've got an overpaid defenseman sitting out with a thumb boo-boo.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:31 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I count two--Filatov and Russell. And I wouldn't call Filatov a "midget" so much as a kid growing into his body. Who am I missing?

Given the way the league is geared towads speed, this team may have gone too much to the other extreme in recent years. Which is why we've got an overpaid defenseman sitting out with a thumb boo-boo.
If Nikita (6' 0", 190) is a "midget", so then a "midget" must be:
Derek Dorsett 6' 0", 190
Derek MacKenzie 5' 11", 178
Chris Clark 6' 0", 191
Sammy Pahlsson 6' 0" 207
Anton Stralman 5' 11", 193

Last edited by mt-svk: 11-02-2010 at 05:38 AM.
mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:56 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I was just messing around, not at all serious. Howson seems to like size to go with skill actually.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:47 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Would you guys do that deal?

To Edmonton
1st Round Pick 2010 (Ryan Johansen)

To Columbus
Jordan Eberle
2nd Round Pick (Tyler Pitlick)
3rd Round Pick 2011

CBJWennberg41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:00 AM
BluejacketNut

Size means nothing if you dont use it....see Filatov, Russell, Brassard (I guess he's one of our "top hitters", but not like he's striking fear into anyone), Vermette, Jake, Juice, Stralman

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Size means nothing if you dont use it....see Filatov, Russell, Brassard (I guess he's one of our "top hitters", but not like he's striking fear into anyone), Vermette, Jake, Juice, Stralman
I'd say Nash doesn't use his size either then, according to your standards.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
BluejacketNut

Nash was on the fence for me, he's certainly not the best checker, thats for sure

Old
11-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Monk

Quote:
Nash was on the fence for me, he's certainly not the best checker, thats for sure
Yeah. This may come out sounding wrong, but I wish we had someone who'd crosscheck people in the face and board people and make the other team scared, regardless of how many games he-who-does-not-exist gets suspended. Or in other words, I wish someone on the team would display my frustration for me, on the ice, in the form of drawing blood violently.

Old
11-02-2010, 11:47 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Yeah. This may come out sounding wrong, but I wish we had someone who'd crosscheck people in the face and board people and make the other team scared, regardless of how many games he-who-does-not-exist gets suspended. Or in other words, I wish someone on the team would display my frustration for me, on the ice, in the form of drawing blood violently.

Honest (if a bit scary!).

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:36 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Well, you certainly want someone that doesnt take some of these embarrassing beat downs like the gentleman we have

Old
11-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Monk

Quote:
Well, you certainly want someone that doesnt take some of these embarrassing beat downs like the gentleman we have
That would be the polite way of putting it, yeah. The opposite of a pushover, the one who's doing the pushing.

Old
11-02-2010, 01:00 PM
BluejacketNut

Im trying to think if we've ever had a good ol fashion 5 on 5 scrap with another team. The only time I can think of was the Rangers game when Wright went at it with Lindros

Old
11-02-2010, 01:05 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't know about that. I DVR'd the show and have already watched it 5 times (I know...I'm a dork), and I didn't remember at any point Jeff Carter's name coming up. Not in reference to the Jackets or the Oilers. But it's on the Oilers' website if you want to check for yourself.

The Oilers definitely liked Johanson. One of their scouts said that if the season went on another month he might've played his way into the number 2 spot (which also tells me that that particular scout didn't have Hall/Seguin as close as most did).

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

it was mentioned on the trade board in one of the 10,000 carter trade threads...no worries...

Old
11-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Nikita Filatov

The thought back then was Hemsky by rumors/speculation, no actual confirmation, I'd probably have done that deal then. I don't know about anymore.

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote