HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Nov. 1, 2010) Briere suspended three games by NHL

Old
11-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
I can agree to send them both off with 2 minutes. But giving one or both a 10 is a bit absurd. But either way a simple toss out of the circle would have been the right thing to do and the linesmen blew it.
There was what, like a minute or two left in the game? Who cares what the penalty is? You're basically telling 'em to cool off and telling everyone else to chill out and finish the game.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There was what, like a minute or two left in the game? Who cares what the penalty is? You're basically telling 'em to cool off and telling everyone else to chill out and finish the game.
It happens to Carcillo once a week. Not a big deal.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Three games is plenty fair, I like Briere being feisty but he's one of the dirtier skilled players in the league when it comes to stickwork. Not just dirty but stupid dirty.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Cross-checks to the helmet... only half as bad as assaulting a fan.

Questions will become Answers

Unless you're Savard and miss the helmet and just get Mike Richards' face. The Penguins hate Richie and the NHL loves the Pens, so they like what Savard did to Richie and gave him no suspension for it.

*makes sure tinfoil hat is snugly on head*

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
No reason to have Briere out there having to defend himself in that kind of late game situation. Players were on edge all game and your coach new this. What was Laviolette thinking by putting him out on the ice with one minute to go in such a lopsided game.

With that said. Props to Briere for sticking up for himself. I don't blame him one bit for what he did. I think this easily could have been avoided if the refs would have just tossed one of them out of the circle.
He didn't stick up for himself though. If he went after Gillies when Gillies one handed him into the ice that would be sticking up for himself. Using your stick to get back at someone isn't toughness (particularly when it's a guy like Nielsen ), it's taking a selfish penalty. What Briere did was about ego, simple as that. He was already annoyed and some guy mouthed off to him so he fed him some lumber.

And the last bit about throwing them out of the face off circle isn't fair either, we blame the refs for a lot, but we can't make them even slightly responsible for when players do boneheaded things. That's just crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Three games is plenty fair, I like Briere being feisty but he's one of the dirtier skilled players in the league when it comes to stickwork. Not just dirty but stupid dirty.
Agreed 100%.

1 game for being a dirty *******, 1 game for having a prior history of being a dirty *******. And possibly one more game to keep you off the ice against them Saturday. I like Briere, and the fact that he's a fiery guy. I really do, but he has to cut this **** out.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 11-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
God gives little players sticks for a reason; He never intended for the brutes to rule the earth and 5'9" guys who don't get their sticks up can have short careers.
Amen. Nielsen was shooting his yap off, Danny just gave him a little taste of shut the F up (since I can't use the acronym on this fascist communications vehicle).

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:47 PM
DUHockey9

I can't believe so many people are condoning the use of a stick to exact revenge. I'm not even one of the whiners that complain about safety and people being dirty. In fact, I use the excuse "that's hockey" for basically everything.

My gripe has nothing to do with safety, but the fact that you are a little girl if you use a stick to hit someone. Grow some balls, throw a punch. It's like whimpy soccer player friends of mine who might get in a fight and their first reaction is to kick, or throw girly punches like Alexander Semin. It's pathetic. Much like in "real life", in hockey, if you have an issue with something somebody did, drop the gloves and throw some punches when it happens OR take their number, and go after them, legally, later.

So many "soccer players" in this thread.

All that said, I don't like Danny any less for what he did. I've always known him to be that kind of player. Punishment fits the crime IMO.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He didn't stick up for himself though. If he went after Gillies when Gillies one handed him into the ice that would be sticking up for himself. Using your stick to get back at someone isn't toughness (particularly when it's a guy like Nielsen ), it's taking a selfish penalty. What Briere did was about ego, simple as that. He was already frustrated and some guy mouthed off to him so he fed him some lumber.

And the last bit about throwing them out of the face off circle isn't fair either, we blame the refs for a lot, but we can't make them even slightly responsible for when players do boneheaded things. That's just crazy.

Agreed 100%.

1 game for being a dirty *******, 1 game for having a prior history of being a dirty *******. And possibly one more game to keep you off the ice against them Saturday. I like Briere, and the fact that he's a fiery guy. I really do, but he has to cut this **** out.
What Briere did was simple, he showed a guy running his yap and trying to intimidate him that he will get a little taste of lumbar to the back of the head. Nielsen wants to run his mouth and he got what he deserved. Briere reacted to what was being said and got suspended. I still like the fact that he did not take any crap, Briere is not going to drop the gloves in that situation. Was it wrong to take a stick out, maybe so, but he did what he thought he had to do at the time and screw Nielsen for thinking he could step into the faceoff circle and spout.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I can't believe so many people are condoning the use of a stick to exact revenge. I'm not even one of the whiners that complain about safety and people being dirty. In fact, I use the excuse "that's hockey" for basically everything.

My gripe has nothing to do with safety, but the fact that you are a little girl if you use a stick to hit someone. Grow some balls, throw a punch. It's like whimpy soccer player friends of mine who might get in a fight and their first reaction is to kick, or throw girly punches like Alexander Semin. It's pathetic. Much like in "real life", in hockey, if you have an issue with something somebody did, drop the gloves and throw some punches when it happens OR take their number, and go after them, legally, later.

So many "soccer players" in this thread.

All that said, I don't like Danny any less for what he did. I've always known him to be that kind of player. Punishment fits the crime IMO.
Except the only players in the league Danny could reasonably drop the gloves with are Gerbe and Ennis, and we weren't playing Buffalo.

The stick has a place in settling of scores. Why should I waste my time giving you a chance to defend yourself, or punch me back. If I think you deserve a taste of Mr. Sherwood, that is exactly what I would do, have done, will do again.

Bobby Clarke taught us all a valuable lesson: slash first, laugh hysterically after.

Old
11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
And the last bit about throwing them out of the face off circle isn't fair either, we blame the refs for a lot, but we can't make them even slightly responsible for when players do boneheaded things. That's just crazy..

You really don't think its going to be mentioned to the linesmen by the higher ups that next time he should throw one of the guys out of circle? No one is blaming the ref for the incident. But it is part of their job to defuse these situations before they get out of control.

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Except the only players in the league Danny could reasonably drop the gloves with are Gerbe and Ennis, and we weren't playing Buffalo.

The stick has a place in settling of scores. Why should I waste my time giving you a chance to defend yourself, or punch me back. If I think you deserve a taste of Mr. Sherwood, that is exactly what I would do, have done, will do again.

Bobby Clarke taught us all a valuable lesson: slash first, laugh hysterically after.
Briere may have been punished, but Nielsen will think next time.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. This isn't the street where if you get in a fight with some guy way bigger than you, you could genuinely fear for your life. Subsequently, you may very well do anything and everything in your power (kick, bite, what have you) to win.

This is the NHL, where fighting exists. It's a controlled environment. You aren't going to get murdered. Briere could drop the gloves with some bigger guy if he felt he needed to defend himself. Get in a few rabbit punches before the other guy even drops his gloves, and you can bet your ass someone else is going to be 3rd man in if he's really going to get beat. OR he can just hit the ice and it's over.

However, we're talking about Frans Neilsen here...Frans Neilsen. Listed at 6'0'' 187lbs while Briere is listed at 5'10'' 179 lbs (according to NHL.com). You're telling me you can't even drop your gloves with someone that is, more or less, the same size as you if you're THAT pissed off?

P-words, I say, P-words.

Edit: Hell, Gaborik dropped em with Carcillo and got beat pretty good, but kudos to him for doing that. That's the way it should be. If you're pissed off, drop your gloves.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
What Briere did was simple, he showed a guy running his yap and trying to intimidate him that he will get a little taste of lumbar to the back of the head. Nielsen wants to run his mouth and he got what he deserved. Briere reacted to what was being said and got suspended. I still like the fact that he did not take any crap, Briere is not going to drop the gloves in that situation. Was it wrong to take a stick out, maybe so, but he did what he thought he had to do at the time and screw Nielsen for thinking he could step into the face off circle and spout.
Everybody talks ****. Everybody. You don't see people getting cross checked off of face offs every game though. Danny was annoyed because he had just gotten shown up by Gillies and now Nielsen was in his ear. What he did was about having the satisfaction of whacking Nielsen, there was no message being sent or self defense (proactive or otherwise) involved. That is my issue. You can't go around getting yourself suspended because it felt good at the time.

Quote:

At some point you have to just eat it when someone is talking ****. There was a minute left and he has a history of stick infractions. Use your god damn head, ya know.

If Nielsen was attempting to harm Danny in some way I could see it, but you can't put your own satisfaction ahead of the team.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 11-01-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old
11-01-2010, 03:13 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Of course it is only half as bad. There is an expectation for physical violence (to an extent) to occur between contracted employees on the ice. There is no expectation for those employees to have physical contact with any fan. For a billion dollar business trying to avoid a lawsuit that is vitally important of a concept.
I was making the indictment that the Rypien suspension was too short.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
What Briere did was simple, he showed a guy running his yap and trying to intimidate him that he will get a little taste of lumbar to the back of the head. Nielsen wants to run his mouth and he got what he deserved. Briere reacted to what was being said and got suspended. I still like the fact that he did not take any crap, Briere is not going to drop the gloves in that situation. Was it wrong to take a stick out, maybe so, but he did what he thought he had to do at the time and screw Nielsen for thinking he could step into the faceoff circle and spout.
And now we're without his services for three games.

It was a selfish and *ing stupid thing to do in a game where all he had to do was point at the scoreboard and laugh in his face.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Jester

Quote:

And in the 70s you could do that... in the 10s, you cannot. Especially not around the head.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
kurt walker

Did any one see Carcillo butt end Nielsen

kurt walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And in the 70s you could do that... in the 10s, you cannot. Especially not around the head.
Not to mention that Bobby Clarke style hockey has had a lasting effect on how the Flyers franchise is viewed by the rest of the hockey world.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Larry44

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. This isn't the street where if you get in a fight with some guy way bigger than you, you could genuinely fear for your life. Subsequently, you may very well do anything and everything in your power (kick, bite, what have you) to win.

This is the NHL, where fighting exists. It's a controlled environment. You aren't going to get murdered. Briere could drop the gloves with some bigger guy if he felt he needed to defend himself. Get in a few rabbit punches before the other guy even drops his gloves, and you can bet your ass someone else is going to be 3rd man in if he's really going to get beat. OR he can just hit the ice and it's over.

However, we're talking about Frans Neilsen here...Frans Neilsen. Listed at 6'0'' 187lbs while Briere is listed at 5'10'' 179 lbs (according to NHL.com). You're telling me you can't even drop your gloves with someone that is, more or less, the same size as you if you're THAT pissed off?

P-words, I say, P-words.

Edit: Hell, Gaborik dropped em with Carcillo and got beat pretty good, but kudos to him for doing that. That's the way it should be. If you're pissed off, drop your gloves.
Total crap. And if Briere dropped his gloves and the guy got in one shot while he was waiting for his teammates to jump in and suffered a career ending concussion?

Gaborik? He had no intention of fighting - and he was the most surprised guy in the building when none of his teammates jumped in.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Nielsen shot off his yap. Briere shut it. Worth the three games for the lesson it will teach others.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Chainsaw

Flyers play the Islanedrs in 3 games no way did the league wanted to see Briere play that game

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:41 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Reasonable. He def deserved to be suspended, but nothing outrageous. Three games is fine.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2121
Seems like Anthony is discounting prior violations. An article on the Delco Times' website:

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory

Quote:
So, Danny Briere had his confab with NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell this morning.

The result, a three-game suspension.

I ask, why?

Look, I know he took a swipe at the back of Franz Nielsen's head with the shaft of his stick on a faceoff. He got the back of Nielsen's helmet and combined with a check from behind by Dan Carcillo, drove Nielsen into the ice.

It's a move I've seen many hockey players perform in the past without suspension.

Is it dirty? Yes. Is it part of the game? Yes.

Was it worthy of a suspension? Yeah, probably. But one game would have sufficed - for the premeditation of the hit. After all, it's not like Nielsen was injured (although after what he did after taking the hit, I would think he dressed up as a turtle for Halloween).

But, Briere got three games.

Now, the converse. New York Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro left the crease to get engaged in some of the hub-bub of the same game at least twice, although some will argue he did it three times.

Regardless, all he got was a minor penalty - once. And, after Briere's hit on Nielsen, DiPietro went after him and speared him in the groin with his goalie's stick.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Total crap. And if Briere dropped his gloves and the guy got in one shot while he was waiting for his teammates to jump in and suffered a career ending concussion?

Gaborik? He had no intention of fighting - and he was the most surprised guy in the building when none of his teammates jumped in.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Nielsen shot off his yap. Briere shut it. Worth the three games for the lesson it will teach others.
Because career ending concussions that result from a single punch happen all the time? The most devastating punch I can recall was Fedoruk getting his face broken, and that was from a true heavyweight. It is HIGHLY unlikely that Frans Neilsen, and most players, are capable of doing that.

It is also why I said he should be the one to get in the rabbit punches first if he's that mad. I'm not saying square off with a bigger guy, remove the gloves and helmet a la Richards vs Cooke the other night; that would not turn out very well. Pull a Carcillo versus that Washington guy (the name escapes me at the moment....Campbell?), and throw before he's fully ready. Yea, it's kinda dirty, but not as bad as using your stick as a weapon. Far less girly as well.

And Gaborik had no intentions of fighting? Gaborik was the one that dropped the gloves first. Carcillo was the one that was caught by surprise with a "Holy crap, did he really drop his gloves?" look on his face. He then proceeded to beat him.

Old
11-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Because career ending concussions that result from a single punch happen all the time? The most devastating punch I can recall was Fedoruk getting his face broken, and that was from a true heavyweight. It is HIGHLY unlikely that Frans Neilsen, and most players, are capable of doing that.

It is also why I said he should be the one to get in the rabbit punches first if he's that mad. I'm not saying square off with a bigger guy, remove the gloves and helmet a la Richards vs Cooke the other night; that would not turn out very well. Pull a Carcillo versus that Washington guy (the name escapes me at the moment....Campbell?), and throw before he's fully ready. Yea, it's kinda dirty, but not as bad as using your stick as a weapon. Far less girly as well.

And Gaborik had no intentions of fighting? Gaborik was the one that dropped the gloves first. Carcillo was the one that was caught by surprise with a "Holy crap, did he really drop his gloves?" look on his face. He then proceeded to beat him.
I think it was Matt Bradley. Kind of disappointed in Carcillo that fight, but I can see how that happened with adrenaline, and at least the other guy knew it was about to go down (just not that fast).

Old
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
slapsht25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Stickle!
it's still off sides 30 yrs later

slapsht25 is offline   Reply With Quote