HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Ex Leaf draft pick Masterminds Czech Victory

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Pappy

vCash: 500
Ex Leaf draft pick Masterminds Czech Victory

Vladimir Ruzicka who never played for the Leafs of course was a big star in Czechslovakia who's rights were traded by the Leafs to the Oilers, his nick name was Rosey. Kaberle must be estatic he'll never win a bigger game in his life.

Old
05-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
i never realized the IIHF WC's were considered huge

Old
05-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Pappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
i never realized the IIHF WC's were considered huge
Your not from Europe, huge for Czech's who were under Soviet dictator ship for 50 years, this means more to the Czech people than any Stanley Cup for a native son and their young democracy.

Old
05-15-2005, 10:06 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Your not from Europe, huge for Czech's who were under Soviet dictator ship for 50 years, this means more to the Czech people than any Stanley Cup for a native son and their young democracy.
It means a great deal, but I'm sure many Europeans, especially the players themselves, have come to value the Stanley Cup as the ultimate prize.

For evidence I cite Mats Naslund, who said exactly that in an interview I heard.

In terms of international hockey, the Olympics is still king.

Old
05-16-2005, 01:03 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
It means a great deal, but I'm sure many Europeans, especially the players themselves, have come to value the Stanley Cup as the ultimate prize.

For evidence I cite Mats Naslund, who said exactly that in an interview I heard.

In terms of international hockey, the Olympics is still king.
I don't know.

Would any of the Olympic Gold Medal winners from the 1980 team trade it in for a Stanley Cup?

WC's are normally taking place during the Stanley Cup playoffs, which devalues it, but this year it is close to an Olympic calibre tournament.

All the countries sent the best players they could, and Canada was lucky to win Silver.

Old
05-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
All the countries sent the best players they could, and Canada was lucky to win Silver.
That's not true at all. Canada was missing several of its biggest stars, the Swedes were missing a number of their best players, same with the Russians, Czechs and Americans. The WC were definitely not as big a deal as the Olympics.

Also, to the initial post, the idea that this Kaberle will "never win a bigger game in his life" sounds like a dig at the Leafs..

Old
05-16-2005, 02:46 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Originally Posted by ULF_55

That's not true at all. Canada was missing several of its biggest stars, the Swedes were missing a number of their best players, same with the Russians, Czechs and Americans. The WC were definitely not as big a deal as the Olympics.

Also, to the initial post, the idea that this Kaberle will "never win a bigger game in his life" sounds like a dig at the Leafs..
But we must remember how often it is said Canada could sent their B team and win.

And I did say best players they could.

Closed Thread