HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elliotte Friedman's Weekly Column-Rangers thoughts

Old
11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Elliotte Friedman's Weekly Column-Rangers thoughts

Enjoy reading Elliotte Friedman's weekly column. 30 thoughts. This week,he has some Rangers thoughts. He covered the Rangers-Leafs on CBC Saturday so he spent some time around the Rangers

Quote:
22. Asked about Henrik Lundqvist, Martin Biron said he was amazed at how New York's franchise player sharpens his skates. Lundqvist asks for specific work on his inside edges, because he likes to play low and uses the T-push method Roberto Luongo is trying this season. His style of sharpening is unusual in North America, but common in Sweden.
Quote:
23. Ryan Callahan is becoming a star. He had a good take on how you become an effective player in the NHL. Basically, he said it's easy to play well when you're feeling great. What separates the best from everyone else is how they play when not feeling so good. In 82-game seasons, there are going to be several nights like that.
Quote:
25. Some Rangers fans were surprised to see Evgeny Grachev get a chance with the big club after a poor training camp and uninspiring start with AHL Hartford. Think New York wants to see what he does with NHL-level teammates. If he doesn't show something, he's going to get lost on a team with a lot of really good, but not well-known, young players.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-thoughts.html

A few more Rangers mentions in there also.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:12 PM
lbrowne

That was a good read - thanks.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
clmetsfan

I hadn't known that the Rangers are using a female pairs figure skater as a coach --

Quote:
Barb Underhill, 1984 world figure skating pairs champion, and the Rangers' new skating coach shows her pupils video of Mike Gartner so they can see what a perfect skater looks like. Her work with Brian Boyle's been incredible. (Underhill, by the way, also works with a few Ducks prospects.)
I would never have thought that it would work, but damn, apparently it is.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:41 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I hadn't known that the Rangers are using a female pairs figure skater as a coach --
Why not? Former figure skaters are the best skating coaches. They just on average are better skaters than hockey players who, usually, are better athletes. While skating is a primary skill for both sports, hockey players pay less attention to it focusing more on the game, something figure skaters don't have to do.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:

Boyle worked with her all summer. Obviously it has helped.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Boyle worked with her all summer. Obviously it has helped.
She should work with Boogaard next

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
skroob**

Quote:

I've done some camps where the skating instructor was a former Olympic speed skater.

She didn't even let us bring sticks onto the ice. She was brutal. Made Herb Brooks look like Tom Reeney.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

This summer they need to acquaint Underhill with Girardi, MDZ, Stepan, and Anisimov.... While Anisimov's skating is much improved, he would be even more of a threat out on the ice if he could refine it even more....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

http://www.albertahockey.com/story/3...sh_motion.aspx

This is a really good explanation of the "T-push" method Lundqvist implements in his game if anyones interested.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

"Star in the making" might be a little much for Callahan. However, I have no doubt he's on his way to becoming a player that every GM would kill to have on their team. In fact, he may be at that point already.

We really hit the jackpot with this kid.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Tumsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why not? Former figure skaters are the best skating coaches. They just on average are better skaters than hockey players who, usually, are better athletes. While skating is a primary skill for both sports, hockey players pay less attention to it focusing more on the game, something figure skaters don't have to do.
Not that I know a whole lot about it. But I think the reason it may seem counterintuitive is because the way they skate may be different (power vs grace). Apparently there's enough overlap to make it worth while, but I don't think that was by any means clear, at least not to laymen like me.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:03 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
She should work with Boogaard next
She is a skating coach not a miracle worker

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
"Star in the making" might be a little much for Callahan. However, I have no doubt he's on his way to becoming a player that every GM would kill to have on their team. In fact, he may be at that point already.

We really hit the jackpot with this kid.
I think that other teams' fans undervalue his play, while here we've overvalued his potential. Right now he's going at a great clip but if he's a 20-20 guy the rest of his career, the combination of his defense and leadership makes him untouchable. He's reached his potential, in my opinion, and I'm ecstatic about him, anything more is a HUGE bonus.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I think that other teams' fans undervalue his play, while here we've overvalued his potential. Right now he's going at a great clip but if he's a 20-20 guy the rest of his career, the combination of his defense and leadership makes him untouchable. He's reached his potential, in my opinion, and I'm ecstatic about him, anything more is a HUGE bonus.
Actually I think Callahan is one of the few Rangers that fans of other teams are pretty fond of (others being Staal & Lundqvist).

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
This summer they need to acquaint Underhill with Girardi, MDZ, Stepan, and Anisimov.... While Anisimov's skating is much improved, he would be even more of a threat out on the ice if he could refine it even more....
Artie did work with Barb, not as much as Boyle but still did

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 05:49 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
24. Callahan scored huge points with John Tortorella when the winger spoke up about bad penalties during the second intermission of their Oct. 23 game in Boston. Number of third-period penalties that night: 0. New York won 3-2.

Love that quote

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote