HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Train Accident in the West Island

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2010, 10:53 PM
RBR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
You know, if these victims were 10 , 11 or 12 years old I'd feel sad and have pitty. I'd feel like they were just being stupid kids, not mature enough to know better or understand the risks.. But these victims were 18 and 19 years old - what the **** are they doing playing on the tracks?

Sorry, too many things wrong and evil in this world to waste my sorrow on losers

yes, it's completely sad to see young men die with their entire life ahead of them.

But I'll save my pity for the sick children dying from diseases that most of us can't even pronounce; kids who'd give their left arm to have the health and freedom these young men had.

Should I also feel sorry for the drunk driver who smashes into a tree and dies?
I think human life is too valuable to simply laugh at.

At the same time, people are far too willing excuse the stupidity of others. Nobody takes responsibility for anything any more. Just because you did something stupid in the past doesn't mean that other people should have free license to be stupid under some sort of "boys will be boys" excuse.

I can say I absolutely would not be dumb enough to stand in a rail yard in the middle of the night (when trains do operate) for graffiti, out of all things. Come on. This was easily preventable. All it took was some common sense.

Old
11-01-2010, 10:57 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
17 year old + doing graffiti on the track = looser ?

wtf man.

The train was running 3hours late, maybe that's why they did not expect it at all.
17 to 19... i don't know about you, but when I was 17 I wasn't into graffiti anymore.

and yes, to answer your equation ; 17 year old + doing graffiti on track = big time loser

Old
11-01-2010, 11:11 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
17 year old + doing graffiti on the track = looser ?

wtf man.

The train was running 3hours late, maybe that's why they did not expect it at all.
monday 3am (night from sunday to monday) on a train track. its kind of not normal.

they were in an illegal and dangerous zone. they paid the price
Like drinking and drive, its tough to have pity for them.

Ive done stupid thing in my life but nothing that can risk my life.
I never drank and drive or done grafitis without watching my back.
Neither car surfing.

some people are lucky other arent

the only thing stupid that i done is being stressed to much.
Im 24 and have tinnitus since 7 month.
never went to clubs or listened to loud music

Last edited by llamateizer: 11-01-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old
11-01-2010, 11:16 PM
LyricalLyricist

Cut the jokes, have some respect. While it may not have been intelligent for these kids to be there, doesn't mean you can laugh about it. As someone said, they may have been in wrong place at wrong time, doesn't mean they didn't have their whole lives ahead of them to make better decisions. I have no issue with you guys questioning their motives or logic, but jokes about their death is an obvious no.

Old
11-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
You know, if these victims were 10 , 11 or 12 years old I'd feel sad and have pitty. I'd feel like they were just being stupid kids, not mature enough to know better or understand the risks.. But these victims were 18 and 19 years old - what the **** are they doing playing on the tracks?

Sorry, too many things wrong and evil in this world to waste my sorrow on losers

yes, it's completely sad to see young men die with their entire life ahead of them.

But I'll save my pity for the sick children dying from diseases that most of us can't even pronounce; kids who'd give their left arm to have the health and freedom these young men had.

Should I also feel sorry for the drunk driver who smashes into a tree and dies?
You're not obligated to be sorry for them, but you're also not obligated to post in this thread. Jog on.

Old
11-01-2010, 11:34 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
You're not obligated to be sorry for them, but you're also not obligated to post in this thread. Jog on.
I'm not entitled to comment on news events? I beg to differ.

and for the record, I think I was clearly not 'laughing' at these kids.

Old
11-01-2010, 11:43 PM
McNuts

Quote:
and for the record, I think I was clearly not 'laughing' at these kids.
No you weren't, you were just calling them losers and said you didn't feel bad at all for them.

Everyone does stupid things in their youth, and then think back when they're older and say "man, I did some stupid **** back in the day, good times" and laugh. They died doing stupid youth ****, doesn't make them losers, doesn't mean they deserved to die, they were just unlucky in their stupidity.

Old
11-01-2010, 11:55 PM
MontrealHabitant

RIP

But honestly, can't say I'm "unhappy" that there will be a few less people doing grafitis all over the place.

Old
11-01-2010, 11:58 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
No you weren't, you were just calling them losers and said you didn't feel bad at all for them.

Everyone does stupid things in their youth, and then think back when they're older and say "man, I did some stupid **** back in the day, good times" and laugh. They died doing stupid youth ****, doesn't make them losers, doesn't mean they deserved to die, they were just unlucky in their stupidity.
I feel bad that they wasted their life, I feel bad for their families... but there are a billion of more things in life that I'll reserve my sensitive pity for.

Ya, everyone does stupid things , but come on... train tracks? at 18 - 19 years old? We live in a society that is incredibly immature -- it's getting worse and worse.. this is something you would hear from 13 yr olds back in the day.

what's next, 30 year olds getting killed doing graffiti on the bridge and getting knocked over by a bus? At some point we have draw the line and say this is ridiculous.

Stupid thing to me is getting smashed at a club and getting your ass kicked for trying to pick up the bouncers gf.. that's stupid. That's the kind of things ppl "laugh" at and use the 'good times' clichees...

Old
11-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Must be awful for the survivors.

RIP, young artists.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
I feel bad that they wasted their life, I feel bad for their families... but there are a billion of more things in life that I'll reserve my sensitive pity for.

Ya, everyone does stupid things , but come on... train tracks? at 18 - 19 years old? We live in a society that is incredibly immature -- it's getting worse and worse.. this is something you would hear from 13 yr olds back in the day.

what's next, 30 year olds getting killed doing graffiti on the bridge and getting knocked over by a bus? At some point we have draw the line and say this is ridiculous.

Stupid thing to me is getting smashed at a club and getting your ass kicked for trying to pick up the bouncers gf.. that's stupid. That's the kind of things ppl "laugh" at and use the 'good times' clichees...
I don't quite understand why there's always one guy like you in every thread made in every messageboard about the subject of an avoidable tragedy that needs to point out the obvious irresponsible nature of act that led to the tragedy. Like I understand why you'd feel the way you do, but three young men died, hardly the time to make a "statement", captain hindsight.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:43 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Like I understand why you'd feel the way you do, but three young men died, hardly the time to make a "statement", captain hindsight.
It's news buddy. NEWS.

I'm not interrupting the funeral services here with my "statement", I'm voicing my opinion on local NEWS tragedy. NEWS.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Saint B Hab

Send a message via MSN to Saint B Hab
You'd be surprised just how silent a passanger train can be. Even frieghts can catch you off guard. I work for CN and part of my job is to inspect inbound and outbound frieght trains. It's never happened to me (thank god) but there have been a few cases were rail workers have been killed because they didn't hear or see the train coming. Hopefully this will serve as a reminder in the future that Railway property is not a play ground. R.I.P

Old
11-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

A few of my friends knew one of the guys pretty well (and have met the others). He was actually at the same Halloween party as them earlier that night and they told me he didn't look to be drunk or high, and I don't really know many people who would do any hard drugs or heavy drinking after leaving a party.

Anyway, the tunnel where they were tagging is meant to be sound-proof and so they didn't hear the train until the last minute. I didn't really push the subject anymore, so that's all I got.

The worst part is that many of the people affected by this were also in this situation about a month or two ago when two guys were killed in a car surfing accident (one of my friends I was talking about earlier played on the Lakers with one of them) as they were all part of a similar, large group of friends.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Frankenheimer

You're in a thread with someone who knew them, on a board that may very well have posters who knew them as well. It's also about our city. I don't think anyone would deny these kids made a mistake, you're just being insensitive. It's unfortunate you can't see that. Yes you're entitled to voice your opinions, no, you're not obligated to.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I watched the LCN report yesterday night and some young people said that doing graffiti there is like the Hall of fame because it's dangerous.

probably MP3 player combined with drugs + alcohol.
I listen to some very loud music and I always hear trains coming. Then again, the train could have jumped track ? I should just read the article.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint B Hab View Post
You'd be surprised just how silent a passanger train can be. Even frieghts can catch you off guard. I work for CN and part of my job is to inspect inbound and outbound frieght trains. It's never happened to me (thank god) but there have been a few cases were rail workers have been killed because they didn't hear or see the train coming. Hopefully this will serve as a reminder in the future that Railway property is not a play ground. R.I.P
It is easy to forget especially since people regularly cut across tracks as shortcuts. The one parallel to Van Horne is especially annoying.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I listen to some very loud music and I always hear trains coming. Then again, the train could have jumped track ? I should just read the article.
i think the trains we most often hear are freight trains, supposedly the passenger ones are pretty quiet.

Old
11-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Frankenheimer

This thread will produce nothing good and should be locked.

Old
11-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i think the trains we most often hear are freight trains, supposedly the passenger ones are pretty quiet.
That's what I deal with Freight trains. They use to go about 100 feet from my house, so I got relatively used to them.

At first I was going to say "Isn't the metro closed at 3 in the morning ? Then I saw it's Via Rail, and they're pretty loud too.

Sorry for your loss, op, but honestly, people need to be smarter.

Old
11-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
It's news buddy. NEWS.

I'm not interrupting the funeral services here with my "statement", I'm voicing my opinion on local NEWS tragedy. NEWS.
Whatever man.

Old
11-02-2010, 03:00 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
two guys were killed in a car surfing accident (one of my friends I was talking about earlier played on the Lakers with one of them)
Wait, what?

Old
11-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

may have been simply a fluke. The train that struck these kids was behind schedule and should have been in Montreal 3 hours before this accident happened. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong night.

Old
11-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

RIP to the 3 young victims and condolences to family and friends

Shut this down cause some don't have any respect at all

Closed Thread