HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

(Nov. 1, 2010) Briere suspended three games by NHL

Old
11-01-2010, 11:44 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I wonder if anything would have been done if carcillo hadn't come in and hit him right away? From briere's explanation he didn't even really make contact.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
In this situation all I want to hear out of Briere is, "I was wrong to do what I did. I apologize to the team and to the fans... blah blah blah." Don't give me your lame ass excuses or comparisons... save that **** for your friends and for the coaching staff. As a fan all I want to hear is: "I ****ed up." Moving on.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
In this situation all I want to hear out of Briere is, "I was wrong to do what I did. I apologize to the team and to the fans... blah blah blah." Don't give me your lame ass excuses or comparisons... save that **** for your friends and for the coaching staff. As a fan all I want to hear is: "I ****ed up." Moving on.
I'm gonna disagree. people need to start addressing the incredible inconsistencies that run rampant in the league. hopefully, more teams pull a florida and call out the reffing when its downright abysmal.

edit: oh, and this costs briere 200,000 bucks. i don't know about you, but i'd be FURIOUS.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:11 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
However, we're talking about Frans Neilsen here...Frans Neilsen. Listed at 6'0'' 187lbs while Briere is listed at 5'10'' 179 lbs (according to NHL.com). You're telling me you can't even drop your gloves with someone that is, more or less, the same size as you if you're THAT pissed off?

P-words, I say, P-words.

Edit: Hell, Gaborik dropped em with Carcillo and got beat pretty good, but kudos to him for doing that. That's the way it should be. If you're pissed off, drop your gloves.
Exactly. I dont condone using your stick to "get your message across". I made the same point. I look at it this way, I dont want anyone doing that to anyone on my team. I dont condone anyone doing it on my team to another player.
Its a 6-1 game. you ask him if he wants to go. if he doesnt you let it go. Nothing good can come out of what happened. You think this is going to deter Nielson from doing it again? Hell he may keep doing it until Briere shows he can handle it the right way.
Briere should just shut up as well. He says he didnt make contact? put your glasses on Danny.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:56 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Yea, and what if while Briere is falling to the ice he lands on a stick, which then flys into the stands and spears a child killing him/her. Not any child either, but a child that was destined to cure cancer and various other diseases. Ultimately killing millions to billions of people over the span of the next 20-30 years.

Can we really risk that!?
Won't someone PLEASE think of the children??!!!!??... oh, and the future cancer patients.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm gonna disagree. people need to start addressing the incredible inconsistencies that run rampant in the league. hopefully, more teams pull a florida and call out the reffing when its downright abysmal.

edit: oh, and this costs briere 200,000 bucks. i don't know about you, but i'd be FURIOUS.
I don't disagree that the NHL is inconsistent. I simply felt like Danny let his emotions get the best of him in that situation and his actions are indefensible. I knew it right away when I saw it, Danny was looking at a suspension for that play. He should take it like a man.

Losing 200k will not ruin him financially... or at least I hope not. He only makes 6.5M per year? (Not sure what the exact figure is this season?)

Old
11-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I don't disagree that the NHL is inconsistent. I simply felt like Danny let his emotions get the best of him in that situation and his actions are indefensible. I knew it right away when I saw it, Danny was looking at a suspension for that play. He should take it like a man.

Losing 200k will not ruin him financially... or at least I hope not. He only makes 6.5M per year? (Not sure what the exact figure is this season?)
Sure.

But shouldn't the Islanders take losing like men? Why isn't this being talked about more? This fanbase seems to be rolling over and just going with the flow of the league on this one. Several of their players acted like *****es and challenged our players late in a game that was decided for quite some time. Konopka, Gillies, DiPietro and Nielsen all acted like fools at one point or another. Briere had every right to be concerned that Nielsen was going to do something after he got in his face during a faceoff...something I haven't seen in ages.

I don't think Briere would lie about his motivation for getting his hands up on the faceoff because what would he gain from that? The penalty was already handed down. He's obviously upset because he didn't mean to cause any harm to the player and doesn't think his actions warrant 3 games. Why should he roll over and accept something he thinks is BS? Why should any of us? There's a clear double standard when it comes to the Flyers and suspensions.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:44 AM
kicksave27

Hopefully they do get rid of the instigator, then at least shelley might be useful in that when you cheap shot guys, he's going to take your head off and you can't hide behind the refs or turtle. Though the last 5 minutes of the game is going to cost them some cash.

I still remember that story about dave brown telling the caps color guy that "you will never hit mark howe again" and the guy said "you are right"

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Hopefully they do get rid of the instigator, then at least shelley might be useful in that when you cheap shot guys, he's going to take your head off and you can't hide behind the refs or turtle. Though the last 5 minutes of the game is going to cost them some cash.

I still remember that story about dave brown telling the caps color guy that "you will never hit mark howe again" and the guy said "you are right"
It really cannot be stressed enough how much the instigator rule nullifies the value of an enforcer.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:53 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul
But shouldn't the Islanders take losing like men? Why isn't this being talked about more? This fanbase seems to be rolling over and just going with the flow of the league on this one. Several of their players acted like *****es and challenged our players late in a game that was decided for quite some time. Konopka, Gillies, DiPietro and Nielsen all acted like fools at one point or another. Briere had every right to be concerned that Nielsen was going to do something after he got in his face during a faceoff...something I haven't seen in ages.
To be fair, if the situation were reversed, and we knew there was a rematch coming up, wouldn't the majority have been okay with one of our players getting in the opposition's face – well, Nielsen would have had to bend a little – and under their skin? I've seen a good deal of "send a message" support on this board and not to accept a defeat graciously.

Brière had nothing to gain by going Little John on Nielsen at that point in the game. Heck, he could have intentionally kept moving early to get thrown out of the circle and have Carcillo take the draw. I agree that the league has kept up its fine tradition of being spectacularly inconsistent with fines and suspensions, but Brière – a previous offender – put himself on the hot seat. Hopefully, the message has been driven home that he has a little red sticker on his file in Colin Campbell's office and that all dollar values are doubled when he makes a return visit.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It really cannot be stressed enough how much the instigator rule nullifies the value of an enforcer.
Yup. It emasculated the role upon its inception.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:04 PM
BernieParent

But let's say that Shelley was out there and took Nielsen apart in Brière's defense. Shelley takes the game misconduct and a possible game or two of suspension for instigating in the final minutes of a game (I'm too lazy to look up the specifics). It's not like that would have affected the game at hand, and it gives future opponents something to think about. It's a shame for Shelley, but he takes the hit for the team as an APB that this team won't let the stars get abused.

Please note that I maintain that the best move is for Brière to – as someone said – point to the scoreboard and laugh. However, if push (literally and figuratively) came to shove, better Shelley watching from the stands than Brière.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:45 PM
mirimon

I thought it would be 3 games. It was a stupid and selfish move by Brière. Oh well, hopefully Zherdev will use the next couple of games to take back his place on the team.

As for those who wanted a suspension for Hunter: seriously? I don't think it even should have been a penalty. Looked like a solid hit to me.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Sure.

I don't think Briere would lie about his motivation for getting his hands up on the faceoff because what would he gain from that? The penalty was already handed down. He's obviously upset because he didn't mean to cause any harm to the player and doesn't think his actions warrant 3 games. Why should he roll over and accept something he thinks is BS? Why should any of us? There's a clear double standard when it comes to the Flyers and suspensions.
A valid point, but we can't control the way they choose to play. If they are going to be "*****es" about losing then the only thing we can do is keep our cool, play physical, and drop the gloves if we have to. Regardless of what was said, Briere saying he was "defending himself" by "getting his hands up" is a crock of ****. That certainly didn't look like he was "defending himself" to me.

Lamenting publicly will solve nothing; the evidence was clear and his suspension isn't going away. The Only thing to do here is accept it, learn from it, and move on.

Old
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM
PondRocket

Briere often gets away with cheap shots, it was bound to catch up with him

PondRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
puckheaded1

Briere Suspension

3 games is the minimum he deserved. A repeat offender who decided to do nothing more than cheapshot someone in the head.

I'm all for not taking the crap the other teams gives. But do it with a little self control. I've lost respect for Briere for resorting to a stick to settle his issues. He may want to claim his stick didn't make contact, but reality shows it did indeed make heavy contact.

Either he is not man enough to admit it, or so clueless as to his stick location that either way, he needs to change his ways.

Sit he 3 games, think about it, and then move on.

As for Carcillo- he should have had a penalty, but not for the hit on Nielson, but for the slash on the goalie. DePietro should have been tossed for getting into an altercation outside his crease, but htere ya go- the NHL refs can't get the simplest calls right 90% of the time can they?

puckheaded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:47 PM
puckheaded1

Quote:
A valid point, but we can't control the way they choose to play. If they are going to be "*****es" about losing then the only thing we can do is keep our cool, play physical, and drop the gloves if we have to. Regardless of what was said, Briere saying he was "defending himself" by "getting his hands up" is a crock of ****. That certainly didn't look like he was "defending himself" to me.

Lamenting publicly will solve nothing; the evidence was clear and his suspension isn't going away. The Only thing to do here is accept it, learn from it, and move on.

Exactly, too bad more fans- and players- can't be like this. The game would only improve with this attitude.

Old
11-03-2010, 02:32 AM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckheaded1 View Post

As for Carcillo- he should have had a penalty, but not for the hit on Nielson, but for the slash on the goalie.
I wonder when this mythical slash happend. I watched game live and clips of last minute many times and still missing that... But maybe that is my problem because I missing Briere slash too...

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:13 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckheaded1 View Post
Exactly, too bad more fans- and players- can't be like this. The game would only improve with this attitude.
For sure, ignoring headshots and punishing crosschecks is definitely a good way to make the league safer.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:33 AM
puckheaded1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
I wonder when this mythical slash happend. I watched game live and clips of last minute many times and still missing that... But maybe that is my problem because I missing Briere slash too...
Not sure what replays you are watching, but try this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADCqSloHCo8

7 second mark shows the slash to the back of the goalies legs. But I guess if you are denying the original Briere incident- which was not a slash, but a crosscheck to the neck/ head area, then you probably won't see the slash either.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
ctay

An article on the event and what led up to it.

http://insidehockey.com/?p=11113

ctay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:04 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/...ypreos_briere/

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:52 PM
flountown

For those worried about Briere losing actually closer to 270k, forgive me for not feeling bad, but the guy is making 7 million this year...he probably paid for his house/condo in cash, I doubt he is going to miss a mortgage or rent payment with this money lost.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
For those worried about Briere losing actually closer to 270k, forgive me for not feeling bad, but the guy is making 7 million this year...he probably paid for his house/condo in cash, I doubt he is going to miss a mortgage or rent payment with this money lost.
IIRC, that suspension money goes to a good cause. Injured players, maybe?

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:02 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
IIRC, that suspension money goes to a good cause. Injured players, maybe?
Players Emergency Assistance Fund.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote