HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#12: Hurricanes @ Flyers - Monday, Nov. 1, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2010, 12:57 AM
  #626
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
RT @JeffMarek: File under "glad we didn't get what we wanted". At 2006 draft Flyers wanted Trevor Lewis but 'settled' for Claude Giroux after LA took him.
wow, I read this earlier tonight and couldnt beleive it. I knew about Bob Sanguinetti, that the Flyers really wanted him but had no idea they had their eyes on Trevor Lewis
Take it from someone who has seen Trevor Lewis play. Be thankfull he didnt fall to us. He isnt that far away from being consitered a bust. The Kings usually dont miss in the first round. They did there.
Lewis isnt even averging 1/2 point a game in the AHL.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
  #627
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Didn't get to catch the game, I checked in between 1 & 2. Can someone give me a quick

Good
Bad
Ugly

For this game?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:08 AM
  #628
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Didn't get to catch the game, I checked in between 1 & 2. Can someone give me a quick

Good
Bad
Ugly

For this game?
Good: win! hartnell scores twice. excellent, sexy-time. zherdev looked damned good.

Bad: JVR has one bad turnover that leads to a goal against

Ugly: the things claude giroux does to other teams

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:10 AM
  #629
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Good: win! hartnell scores twice. excellent, sexy-time. zherdev looked damned good.

Bad: JVR has one bad turnover that leads to a goal against

Ugly: the things claude giroux does to other teams
Thanks!

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:12 AM
  #630
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Thanks!
wellwood looked good for someone in his NHL debut as well. JVR overall looked better than he has. he worked hard. Pronger continues to return to form.

dude, SHELLEY had a great third period. he had a legitimate shot on goal.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:27 AM
  #631
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Out of Giroux's 7 goals, 3 are breakaways...

He has 3 SH, 3 PP, and 1 ES

You get rid of his 3 breakaways, he still has 4 goals.
7 goals in 12 games translates to 48 goals.

4 goals in 12 games translates to 27 goals.

Cut down on the sloppy defensive play, and there's a BIG difference in production. Similarly, he isn't getting 20 goals SH. However, 1 ES goal in 12 is on pace for 7... which may seem shockingly low, but remember... he only scored 8 ES goals last season (I would expect more this year).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:39 AM
  #632
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
7 goals in 12 games translates to 48 goals.

4 goals in 12 games translates to 27 goals.

Cut down on the sloppy defensive play, and there's a BIG difference in production. Similarly, he isn't getting 20 goals SH. However, 1 ES goal in 12 is on pace for 7... which may seem shockingly low, but remember... he only scored 8 ES goals last season (I would expect more this year).
JVR
0 goals in 12 games translates to 0 goals overall

Richards
1 goal in 12 games translates to 7 goals.

Obviously he isnt getting 20 short handed goals. I wasnt even talking about even strength goals. Guess who is leading our team right now in ES goals? HARTNELL and Carter.

What I dont understand is your conception of what he did last year in regards of this up and coming season. I fail to understand, actually, what your even arguing? That Giroux might have a slightly better season points wise? Someone said:

Quote:
To anyone who didn't believe Giroux would be the best offensive player on this team by 2012... suck it. We are witnessing the evolution of a star player in this league.
And you go its only 12 games. So what if its only 12 games? What if he continues to play like this, and what proof goes to show that he wont?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:42 AM
  #633
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
And you go its only 12 games. So what if its only 12 games? What if he continues to play like this, and what proof goes to show that he wont?
So maybe it isn't time to be kneeling down in front of him to start sucking just yet.

Honestly, it was a pretty straightforward point.

But, then again, maybe it's cuz I'm a Giroux hater that compares him to a guy with a shot at 1,000 points for his career.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:43 AM
  #634
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Again if we want to stick with empirical facts/data ......in the last 35 games which includes 23 high level playoff games he has scored 17 goals. That is a 40 goal clip.....whether somebody "figures him out" or he doesn't score as many breakaways is ancillary when it comes right down to it. It is hard to discount what he has done in the last 35 games...not 12. This is called a recent trend and it's a fair basis going forward. It has a hockey stick trajectory.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:46 AM
  #635
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Again if we want to stick with empirical facts/data ......in the last 35 games which includes 23 high level playoff games he has scored 17 goals. That is a 40 goal clip.....whether somebody "figures him out" or he doesn't score as many breakaways is ancillary when it comes right down to it. It is hard to discount what he has done in the last 35 games...not 12. This is called a recent trend and it's a fair basis going forward. It has a hockey stick trajectory.....
A recent "trend" separated by 3 months, and two entirely different environments... the level and type of play taking place during the playoffs in no way compares to the turd sandwich that is the quality of play in October/November.

Patrick Sharp was great in the playoffs, too ya know. I mean, you really expect him to be a threatening 90 pts at the end of the year?

EDIT: Sharp has 21 goals in his last 34 games, or 50 goal pace. I guess we should plan ahead for that.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:48 AM
  #636
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So maybe it isn't time to be kneeling down in front of him to start sucking just yet.

Honestly, it was a pretty straightforward point.

But, then again, maybe it's cuz I'm a Giroux hater that compares him to a guy with a shot at 1,000 points for his career.
Being excited about a player is sucking dick? We arent allowed to be excited? Sure maybe saying he wont be the teams top offensive star, but someone was excited over how he played after yet ANOTHER dominating game. If some other players, like JVR and such, were playing this well, it would be the same thing. Dont take it literally, its just the excitement of a player who looks to be coming out of his shell.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:52 AM
  #637
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Being excited about a player is sucking dick? We arent allowed to be excited? Sure maybe saying he wont be the teams top offensive star, but someone was excited over how he played after yet ANOTHER dominating game. If some other players, like JVR and such, were playing this well, it would be the same thing. Dont take it literally, its just the excitement of a player who looks to be coming out of his shell.
Dude, read the quote again... and get back to me.

We'll ignore the year long slobbering of Giroux that dates back over a year while acting as if this is just casual excitement in a thread where you were babbling about people eating crow.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:57 AM
  #638
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Dude, read the quote again... and get back to me.

We'll ignore the year long slobbering of Giroux that dates back over a year while acting as if this is just casual excitement in a thread where you were babbling about people eating crow.
This is your first quote you replied to:

Quote:
To anyone who didn't believe Giroux would be the best offensive player on this team by 2012... suck it. We are witnessing the evolution of a star player in this league.
Like I said, this is after Giroux had another dominating game (where yet again you come in saying how he was lucky, dumasses played defense against him, etc etc). This is his 12 game in a row where Giroux has looked great. Other then maybe Timonen, he has been the most consistent player.

Why do you get so upset with it though? Who the hell cares? We like Giroux and get excited when he succeeds, why does it matter to you so much lol?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:02 AM
  #639
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
This is your first quote you replied to:


Like I said, this is after Giroux had another dominating game (where yet again you come in saying how he was lucky, dumasses played defense against him, etc etc). This is his 12 game in a row where Giroux has looked great. Other then maybe Timonen, he has been the most consistent player.

Why do you get so upset with it though? Who the hell cares? We like Giroux and get excited when he succeeds, why does it matter to you so much lol?
Who gets upset?

My response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's 12 games... lets not start sucking popsicles just yet.
You clearly don't understand the reference if you think that's me "upset."

Then we have the fanboys acting like you just killed their dog in front of 'em for suggesting that the deity may not in fact... be a deity just yet.

And we end up, again, with me being accused of never ever saying anything "positive" about Giroux... yet I'm the one overreacting?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:02 AM
  #640
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
A recent "trend" separated by 3 months, and two entirely different environments... the level and type of play taking place during the playoffs in no way compares to the turd sandwich that is the quality of play in October/November.

Patrick Sharp was great in the playoffs, too ya know. I mean, you really expect him to be a threatening 90 pts at the end of the year?

EDIT: Sharp has 21 goals in his last 34 games, or 50 goal pace. I guess we should plan ahead for that.
I not talking about Patrick Sharp.....but considering his increased role on the team it's not out of the realm of possibility he scores 40 goals and 80 points.

Anyway, you are bringing up things I'm not even talking about like saying I think he'll be a 50 goal scorer and 90 points. Moreover, you keep defining the parameters...of course you can never be wrong doing so. The fact whether you want to keep throwing out data that is convenient to your argument is that he's produced since April and one can fairly say he's broken out and discovered a new level to his game. I know this bothers you b/c it may show you to be selling him short when all is said and done....

Again...let's see. I do know that I hope the people saying he's a 40 goal scorer are proven to be correct since it will only help the team's prospects going forward.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:04 AM
  #641
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
This has devolved into ad hominem....um yeah. Good night all. Let's get the Rangers Thurs and relive knocking them out of the playoffs with Giroux scoring the deciding goal in the shootout..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:05 AM
  #642
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I not talking about Patrick Sharp.....but considering his increased role on the team it's not out of the realm of possibility he scores 40 goals and 80 points.

Anyway, you are bringing up things I'm not even talking about like saying I think he'll be a 50 goal scorer and 90 points. Moreover, you keep defining the parameters...of course you can never be wrong doing so. The fact whether you want to keep throwing out data that is convenient to your argument is that he's produced since April and one can fairly say he's broken out and discovered a new level to his game. I know this bothers you b/c it may show you to be selling him short when all is said and done....

Again...let's see. I do know that I hope the people saying he's a 40 goal scorer are proven to be correct since it will only help the team's prospects going forward.
Dude, are you serious? I used your parameters. You used Giroux's playoff run combined with his start to this year to make an argument about his "trend." I did the same for Sharp. YOU defined the parameters.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:08 AM
  #643
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Who gets upset?

My response:



You clearly don't understand the reference if you think that's me "upset."

Then we have the fanboys acting like you just killed their dog in front of 'em for suggesting that the deity may not in fact... be a deity just yet.

And we end up, again, with me being accused of never ever saying anything "positive" about Giroux... yet I'm the one overreacting?
Alright man, I bet Im not the only one that see's you upset though.

Did I, the fan boy (meh, I'd rather be a super fan boy though), ever call him a deity? Hell no. Im not that foolish. I do think that comparing his past (which you do ALL THE TIME) is foolish though. You base this season off of his previous seasons.


Where did I say again that you never said anything positive? Reread my post 3 times, sorry didnt say anything like that.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:16 AM
  #644
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Dude, are you serious? I used your parameters. You used Giroux's playoff run combined with his start to this year to make an argument about his "trend." I did the same for Sharp. YOU defined the parameters.
Not really dude b/c you are the one who threw in the whole "separated by three months" outlier....which is fine b/c the fact that a three month hiatus hasn't inhibited his production says a lot in my book whether it's the beginning of the season or not..another one of your attempts to just downplay whatever Giroux does. But of course Carter gets a free ride when it's early in the season and he's not scoring at his 46 goal clip and has gotten points in 5 of 12 games.....all during the same crapola time of year...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:51 AM
  #645
MiD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
I don't get it... Flyers PK is rather good, but 6 on 5 they are lost, even after face-off when they have right personel on ice... last night after CAR goal they did every little things correct, but minute before was complete mess, just like Friday in PIT... good to see Fartsmell falling whitout reason

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:25 AM
  #646
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
I don't get it... Flyers PK is rather good, but 6 on 5 they are lost, even after face-off when they have right personel on ice... last night after CAR goal they did every little things correct, but minute before was complete mess, just like Friday in PIT... good to see Fartsmell falling whitout reason
Meh. 5v6 is probably something they haven't really worked on a whole lot so far (this was the second time this season, yes? or no?). 4v5 is a different situation than 5v6. Less room on the ice, and whatnot. Hopefully, we won't have to worry about these situations too much this season, but I agree they could be better. Also, don't underestimate the power of the Lavi timeout. He called one right after the Canes' goal, and like you said they did every little thing right.

Yeah.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:04 AM
  #647
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I didn't compare Giroux to Ovechkin. What I was doing is ridicule Jester's argument by replacing Giroux's name with Ovechkin's name. I could have chosen any big name player instead because it is a dumb argument to just say "people will figure him out". That argument can be applied to any player you want, yet doesn't hold true.
By, doing that, you are comparing them.

I mean seriously, some of the Roo people on here need to get a brain check.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:06 AM
  #648
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
While you clearly can't compare him to Ovechkin in terms of production, you can compare their skill. Giroux is starting to prove that he has one of the best pure skill sets in all of hockey.
You have eschewed the deep end and jumped off into the ocean.

I feel like I've entered bizarro world.

Please make that a thread on the main board. "Giroux comparable to Ovechkin." Please do it.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:38 AM
  #649
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 500
Hooray to the Fly Guys getting another win!

Oh sorry. I thought this was the GDT, not the "Claude Giroux is the cat's pajamas vs. Claude Giroux ain't nothing till he proves himself" thread.

I will skulk off accordingly...

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:08 AM
  #650
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Not a bad game overall (with exception of one turnover by James). It's good to have depth.

Last goal was a bit of a softie.. Bobrovsky should keep his eyes on the puck and not worry who bumps into him (he was good tough). Giroux, complete player!!

Cartsiephan is keeping his mouth shut lately because Carter is playing well, now that he is off Richards RW.


Last edited by Kaktus*: 11-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.