HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brassard: "our owner doesnt like hockey as much as his father"

Old
11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
a jim day comparison...
That's it... Thanks Fro.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:32 PM
St1ngr

Google translation:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ric-41722.html

Monsieur Derick: fermer votre bouche, s'il vous plait!!

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Four Seven View Post
He's got more points than our supposed superstar player and captain in the last five games, and the same amount of points over the whole season. He's tied for second in points and goals for the whole team.

So, uh, try another one.
ummm no? How about the captain needs to pull his head out of his ass also. So, uh, try another one yourself. Scoring more points than Nash isn't exactly an accomplishment at this point super fan. Or maybe you just forgot that this team scores like 2 goals a game and hasn't scored more than three yet.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
The "Russian" thing is pretty much over-played, dontcha think?
Um..no? Am I incorrect in thinking that Russians are more outgoing and outspoken in interviews than Canadians?

Old
11-01-2010, 10:35 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Not smart... Not smart

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:37 PM
morecannon

Wow Doug61, touchy today?

Brass is probably partially right, but the city of Columbus needs to stay behind the team as well. Also, Mr. Mac was mostly retired and the business was doing well when he was alive. They have had some tougher years recently, so I am going to cut JP some slack.

morecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
anteater90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Brass is hardly an expert on Mr Mac & the Team. John H was an absentee owner quite often. Those of us who had season tickets can remember how many times you'd look up into the owners box and Mr. Mac was not there.

I've heard John P actually played hockey in a men's league. But can hardly fault him for not being Mark Cuban. The team was given to him by default. Give him time to become old, fat and white haired, then we'll love him.
It is the grandson that plays in the adult leagues or at least use to. The team name was Worthington Industries. I wonder how they got the sponsorship?

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:57 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I hope he isn't traded for this...

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Gulvorn

Typical overreaction by everyone. This is why I try not to spend too much time on the CBJ boards. Everything is about overreacting to any potentially negative thing someone says or does. Not really sure if any of you even actually enjoy hockey. Mike Brown's been taking **** from the fans, players, and the league for decades now and the man hasn't flinched, still convinced he knows something about football when in reality he knows absolutely nothing.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
Typical overreaction by everyone. This is why I try not to spend too much time on the CBJ boards. Everything is about overreacting to any potentially negative thing someone says or does. Not really sure if any of you even actually enjoy hockey. Mike Brown's been taking **** from the fans, players, and the league for decades now and the man hasn't flinched, still convinced he knows something about football when in reality he knows absolutely nothing.
I couldn't care less about the ownership comments.

I'm much more troubled by that little bit about relocation. It's not a good sign when a player states, on-the-record, that the team is on red alert for a relocation. Not exactly a confidence booster.

11-01-2010, 11:28 PM
free agent fan

Hey guys, I was just browsing your board when i saw this thread. Since I'm french canadian, I can help you for the translation. Brassard said that the owner he doesn't seem to like hockey as is father. I know it's not big difference but he never said that the o hwner doesn't like hockey.

hope this help!

free agent fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 11:41 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by free agent fan View Post
Hey guys, I was just browsing your board when i saw this thread. Since I'm french canadian, I can help you for the translation. Brassard said that the owner he doesn't seem to like hockey as is father. I know it's not big difference but he never said that the o hwner doesn't like hockey.

hope this help!
Thanks, it does help. Apparently Canadians, like Americans, love the flashy headline, truth be damned.

Typical modern journalism. Catchy title, doesn't match what was said...always about the "scoop" and not the truth (boring)

The gist of what brassard isn't any different from what anyone else here knows. Of course Columbus is going to figure in discussions about relocation. That list isn't as short as it might seem. That said, the potential of Columbus is fairly bright in terms of fan support over 10 years of suckage. I'm sure even young brassard knows that winning fixes things.

Last edited by SuperGenius: 11-01-2010 at 11:48 PM.
SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 11:56 PM
kellymiller

Anybody who has ever been a season ticket holder, been to a few PSL events, read a newspaper, or followed hockey even vaguely for the past few years cannot disagree with his statement. So I'm guessing most of you calling him "dumb" and so on simply think he shouldn't have said it, even though it's true.

Why?

Brass is not a dumb person, and he was not speaking 10 minutes after a tough loss, stuffed with emotion. As we've all come to know via inhumanly boring interview after interview, professional hockey players, particularly young ones fresh from the "speak truth and you die!" NHL Press Initiation Camp, do not just spout off for the lulz. I suspect he knew what he was doing.

Brassard is a very good, NHL-caliber hockey player for most teams in the league. The highly talented hockey player/owner relationship is decidedly different from the dispensable junior associate/chief counsel relationship at a law firm; Brass has plenty of options(and frankly, probably better options) if the owner gets his panties in a bunch. Let's try to be objective here: how many good ole Canadian boys dream of playing in front of 10 large at Nationwide? I doubt Brash will require an Ambien should he find himself on the trade block.

I also couldn't disagree more with whoever was saying Nasher's bland cliche-fest interview style is vindicated here. I like when grown ups talk like grown ups, and speak to paying customers about the real world, not the stuff on marketing commercials. Just a personal preference. I'd prefer a few digs (aside from crapping on teammates) that might offend some to "we just gotta get pucks in deep. This is a great city. God bless America?"

kellymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:00 AM
JDCox17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

I'm much more troubled by that little bit about relocation. It's not a good sign when a player states, on-the-record, that the team is on red alert for a relocation. Not exactly a confidence booster.
The way I read it, all he said was that Columbus had been in the same discussions for possible relocation as Atlanta, etc. He doesn't say who's having those discussions. Heck, he could just have been reading this board!

The ownership comments, though... Eh... Never a good idea to potentially embarrass the person who's ultimately paying your salary.

I like Brassard a lot. My son likes him even more (as evidenced by him wanting 16 for his sweater). I can't imagine that this interview will have done him any good.

Still, on the whole, I think that the quotes attributed to Filatov last year add up to a bigger negative. If he's being given a chance to move past them, Brassard should get the same chance. But I hope someone is sitting down with this young man and pointing out that there can be real consequences to not considering your words VERY carefully when talking to anyone with a microphone.

JDCox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:04 AM
JDCox17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymiller View Post
...think he shouldn't have said it, even though it's true.

Why?
The same reason that one might not tell their boss's boss's boss that their tie is the most godawful thing they've ever seen wrapped around a human being's neck. Unless s/he's about to go in front of a board meeting or on camera or something, what's that going to accomplish?

If Brassard's goal is to get himself traded or something then, sure, you're right -- let 'er rip.

Otherwise, what benefit could anyone gain from this particular "truth-telling"?

JDCox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Gulvorn

Also for people who didn't bother reading the article...I'll translate exactly what he said

Brassard said...

On playing in front of low amount of fans (as inquired by the interviewer).

"On the road, we play more simply. In our own house, we did not have good performances in front of our own fans. We must try to play better for the people who come to see us and that we be also more motivated"

On the mentality of the owner...(Next part of sentence is vague) there is/can be there for something

"Last year we had good crowds. But the name of our team begins being part of the discussion with those of Atlanta and Florida. Our owner died two years ago and his son took his place. I think that our new owner doesn't really like hockey. This is somewhat difficult (frustrating). When the picture of the team was taken, he wasn't there"

On Columbus being in last place in the Central Division again.

"It is discouraging, but at the same time, this is a challenge to confront good teams. It's kind of like how in baseball there are the Blue Jays that are in the same division as the Red Sox and the Yankees. This is the same thing for us. If we continue to play well, we will climb up.

On his career so far with 3 goals and 2 assists

"Last year did not happen how I would have wished it. This year, at the time of my first two games in Sweden, I did not produce and I did not have a lot of luck finding the net, but in the last few games, that is starting to go well. I tried to change my game style. In the juniors and in the AHL, I always tried to pass the puck and since then, I have tried to change my mentality. I told myself I need to get at least 3 shots each game, and then I'll be better at scoring the goals.

On his teammates Garon and Vermette

"In the summer, it is pleasant to be in Columbus it is the land of golf (there is a lot of golf courses). But currently, we don't have a lot to do when there is no hockey. It is nice to have other Quebec players on the team, particularly to have older teammates that are such great examples like Vermette and Garon.

He never said anything about relocation in the whole article. He briefly mentioned Florida and Atlanta for the simple reason that the interviewer baited him into talking about attendance.

Again people rip a player because they can't understand french or a foreign language and posters start talking about something that was never mentioned in the entire interview.

I like how somehow someone translated it to be "The owner wasn't EVEN there". Where it clearly says "Il n'etait pas la". Also know as He (Il) was (Etait) not (ne pas) there (la). Where the even?

Where did he say "I don't think he likes hockey like his father did?" All he said was that the owner died two years ago and...word for word..."His son took over...I don't think he likes hockey that much...He wasn't there when we took the team picture"

Where is relocation? All he says is that people are talking about Columbus in the same breath as Atlanta and Florida when it comes to attendance and then he goes on a side note about the owner not really being present to the team. Oh no, he said so many terrible things.

If someone else thinks they can translate better, then go ahead. But I basically translated about as closely as humanly possible to English and I didn't find anything questionable about anything he said. He got asked some tip-toe subject by the interviewer and he tip-toed around it without saying anything really that bad.

Last edited by Gulvorn: 11-02-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old
11-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
I could have said the same thing about Brassard at the beginning of the season...but then again, I wouldn't be baiting or biting the hand that feeds me by saying it.

Some want to dismiss the way Nash handles the media but moments like this make me say...thank you, Rick Nash.
Moments like this always make me say, "Thank you, Brassard (or Filatov, or...)."

I'd say more in response to whatever comes out of Nash's mouth, but I'm often too busy fighting back a yawn. Do we really think everything Nash or Crosby says in public is how they truly feel? If not, do we interpret what he says as him being smart by telling us what we want to hear? If that is the case, what does that say about us?

If Brass gets in trouble for these comments and earns some heat, he'll probably apologize and mention how his comments were misconstrued. That will annoy me, because it's yet another example of how childish our society has become. We live in terror of nipple slips and celebrity opinions.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

He didn't say that. He said people talk about Columbus in the same way they talk about Florida and Atlanta. He was referring to their bad play and the lack of people showing up to watch them play badly, which he took responsibility for prior to bringing up that subject and took ownership of how the players need to play way better.

If he was talking about relocating he would have said Phoenix. He was talking about the 3 worst teams in the league in the past decade, which have clearly been Florida, Atlanta, and Columbus. Atlanta and Columbus have never won a playoff game and when was the last time Florida was even in the playoffs?

Last edited by Gulvorn: 11-02-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old
11-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Gulvorn

I'm not sure who Asphate is but I think his translating skills are on the "randomly adding words" side and over exaggerating the literal translation from the article.

But then when I look at his profile I notice half his posts are about adding Quebec teams to the NHL, so it's hard to see why this came up and how he somehow inferred Brassard was talking about relocation even though it wasn't brought up once in the article.

The only thing really accurate about about this thread was that he did say the owner doesn't really like hockey. Big surprise. Um...the Detroit Blue Devils anyone? He obviously doesn't watch hockey.

Last edited by Gulvorn: 11-02-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old
11-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Brass is watching too many Randy Moss interviews.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:27 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphate View Post
http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...ric-41722.html

Link to the website of the radio station, which has written excerpts and the interview.

You'll have to find a translation for this as it's in French but...

Brassard says...

"Our owner died 2 years ago and then his son took over. I don't think his son likes hockey like his father did. When we took the team picture, he wasn't even there."

He also says that Columbus is starting to be in the same group as Atlanta and Florida when it comes to teams potentially moving.
upon the request of samkow, i read the article (half good, half bad).

the bolded part is false. the article says:

"Last year, we had good crowds, but the name of the jackets was thrown in to the discussions with those of florida and atlanta. Our owner died two years ago and his son took over. I think the new owner doesnt like hockey as much. It is still quite difficult. When we took the team photo, he wasnt there"

i'm listening to the interview now, so i'll be able to explain some context in a bit.

edit: ROUGH translation
Quote:
headline: our owner doesnt like hockey very much.

As is the case with (teams), the future of the bluejackets in columbus seems more uncertain than ever.

in audio, listen to the interview with derrick brassard on (this show).

As explained by Brassard, it has become difficult for the players to stay motivated when the fans arn't at the games.

"on the road, we're playing more simply. At home we havnt given good performances to our fans. We need to try to play better at home so people come watch us and we therefore play more motivated" mentioned the quebecois.

Brassard is concious that the situation in columbus isnt rosy and according to him, the mentality of the owner is perhaps a reason.

"Last year, we had good crowds, but the name of the jackets was thrown in to the discussions with those of florida and atlanta. Our owner died two years ago and his son took over. I think the new owner doesnt like hockey that much. It is still quite difficult. When we took the team photo, he wasnt there" underligned the center.

Fans arnt coming through the turnstiles, but still, the jackets are experiencing their best start to the season ever with 6 wins and 4 losses. Despite this acceptable resume, columbus remains 5th in the central division behind (other teams).

"It's discouraging, but at the same time it is a challenge to face good teams. It's a bit like baseball where the Blue Jays are allways in the same division as the yankees and red sox. It's the same thing for our team. If we continue to play well, we'll climb the standings."

selected in the first round 6th overall in 2006, the expectations are very high yet are slow to materialize for brassard, who is starting his 4th nhl season. In 10 games this season, he has 3 goals and 2 assists.

"Last year, it didnt go as I had hoped, at the personal level and with the team. This year, in the first two games in sweden, I didnt produce and i didnt have many scoring chances, but as the season has progressed, I think it's going very well. I tried to change my style. In junior and in the AHL, i always tried to pass the puck, and through a few games I have tried to change my mentality. I told myself I should try to have 3 shots per game and since then, i have had more chances to score" he explained.

Fortunately, Brassard can count on the support of other quebecors on his team, Antoine Vermette and Mathieu Garon, to help him progress.
(*danishh - i think this sentence is beyond retarded.)

"In the summer, it's nice in columbus because there are many golf courses, but right now there isnt much for us to do if we're not playing hockey. It's nice to see other quebecois on the team, particularily older teammates from whom i can learn like antoine vermette and mathieu garon"

in 137 games in the NHL, the player from Hull has had 23 goals and 45 assists.

all the hard-hitting quotes "owner doesnt like hockey, no fans, etc" were pretty much led by the interviewer. They are a lot more damning out of context. In context, it's just an honest interview. Having low attendance sucks and hurts the team on-ice, but the jackets havnt been playing well at home to justify the attendance. The new owner doesnt like hockey as much as his dad. During the season, there isnt as much to do in columbus with his french friends as there is in the summer.

asphate (who is a quebecor), is clearly misrepresenting the content of that article or has serious reading comprehension issues. Just reading the article, what the poster said is false, but listening to the interview makes it even clearer that to represent this as asphate has means that asphate has some sort of agenda.

key here is playing on the word "autant", which really depends on context. could be 'as much', 'that much', 'so much'. In this context, it's clearly as much. New owner doesnt like hockey as much as his father did. Big deal, that could mean anything.

Last edited by danishh: 11-02-2010 at 01:41 AM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by morecannon View Post
Wow Doug61, touchy today?

Brass is probably partially right, but the city of Columbus needs to stay behind the team as well. Also, Mr. Mac was mostly retired and the business was doing well when he was alive. They have had some tougher years recently, so I am going to cut JP some slack.
How did that come off as touchy again?

Old
11-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Rimers stache

To the OP: Your translation is completely off. Nowhere in the entire article does it mention relocation. He compares our team with Atlanta and Florida (meaning that we have a terrible history) and that the new owner doesn't like hockey AS MUCH AS his father. <--- This is a true statement and to be perfectly honest, I'm sure Mr. McConnell wont even see it/care about it. Someone has to be honest while talking to the media, if his comments truly offend Mr. Mc JR. than perhaps it will motivate him to markets this team and make a little money off of it. That or sell the team to owners who care. I commend Brass, he wants to see the Owner of the team have a little pride in the club.

Also to the moderator: I suggest changing the title of the thread. It's a bit slanderous.

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
upon the request of samkow, i read the article (half good, half bad).

the bolded part is false. the article says:

"Last year, we had good crowds, but the name of the jackets was thrown in to the discussions with those of florida and atlanta. Our owner died two years ago and his son took over. I think the new owner doesnt like hockey that much. It is still quite difficult. When we took the team photo, he wasnt there"

i'm listening to the interview now, so i'll be able to explain some context in a bit.
Basically what I said, which was that a lot of what was said was either taken out of context or just completely inaccurate translation

For future reference, people who don't understand french shouldn't make comments in a thread about how bad the comments are until we have real people translating them. This whole thread is based off lies/inaccuracies

Old
11-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Doug19

You're pretty much the only one overreacting from this fan base so far in this thread.