HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2010, 02:42 PM
SnipeShow91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
I've been a supporter of Mike on this site (no clue why) but more and more I'm beginning to side with the rest of you. This team is a joke and can't win a game without relying on its goaltender, who they can't rely on to not make a fool of himself.
there is nothing wrong with relying on your goalie in hockey because a lot of teams are successful when doing it. Example the Buffalo Sabres with Dominik Hasek and now Ryan Miller, last years Canadiens with Jaroslav Halak, and Giguere on the Ducks first cup finals appearance. I told a few of my friends this, once STU simplifies the game and stops dicking the puck around in their own zone and stops looking for the stretch pass all the time, they would be a much more effective team if they make the simple plays. UNB makes simple and effective plays all the time. STU has some smart players, but seriously, saturday was like watching pond hockey!

Old
11-01-2010, 06:45 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
there is nothing wrong with relying on your goalie in hockey because a lot of teams are successful when doing it. Example the Buffalo Sabres with Dominik Hasek and now Ryan Miller, last years Canadiens with Jaroslav Halak, and Giguere on the Ducks first cup finals appearance. I told a few of my friends this, once STU simplifies the game and stops dicking the puck around in their own zone and stops looking for the stretch pass all the time, they would be a much more effective team if they make the simple plays. UNB makes simple and effective plays all the time. STU has some smart players, but seriously, saturday was like watching pond hockey!
Agreed, but the fact remains they're 0-4 at a -23 and 1-0 +1 with Lavigne out/in. I think it gets to a point where you just rely too much on your tender. No knock on MacFarlane either, I'm sure he can do the job, the team is just utter **** in front of him.

Also, I've been slacking, here's the video.

You can't conclusively say that he did or did not hit him from the video but you have to admit it's more than a facewash motion, and that Lavigne had no business being that near to our bench doing his antics (too bad neither my camera nor STU's caught his celebration, haven't seen anyone win the Stanley Cup be that excited in a while)

Last edited by timbitca: 11-01-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old
11-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sorry, but that video did not show any ill action on the part of the goaltender.

Old
11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Sorry, but that video did not show any ill action on the part of the goaltender.
This video doesn't capture the Lavigne incident well. First, the camera is on the wrong side of the ice, and is focused on the winning STU overtime goal, and the celebrating players. Lavigne, #36, skates into the picture from the left around the 12 or 13 second mark, and you see his left hand come up quickly into the face of the Moncton player, Leduc, skating towards his bench. From the video you can't really tell if he actually hit him; it happens in a flash.

I was at the game, sitting to the side and just behind the Moncton bench. I saw the action clearly, and I thought at the time that Lavigne came really close to striking Leduc, but not quite, like he was going ... Pysch!

Bonehead, dumb, unsporting play, but I still don't think he actually made conduct with Leduc's face. As most, I thought Lavigne should have perhaps got a game misconduct for unsportsmanlike ...

Old
11-01-2010, 09:32 PM
rantfather

Quote:
I've been a supporter of Mike on this site (no clue why) but more and more I'm beginning to side with the rest of you. This team is a joke and can't win a game without relying on its goaltender, who they can't rely on to not make a fool of himself.
It is not only Eagles,he was hired,as an unqualified and inexperienced administrator to set the stage for the dumping of the men,s hockey at STU and lame duck president Cochrane and "bean counter" Durling must bear much of the responsability of this next journey to the basement.
Arguments will be made that STU cannot keep up with the $$$ elements of providing a competitive hockey team,IT CERTAINLY WILL NEVER BE DONE UNDER EAGLE"S WATCH!
There has been expenditures on some players who we have been lead to believe must be compensated beyond "the every thing" model and this then will be used to justify ending the program.

It is NOT necessary now nor ever has been necessary to financially compete for players,it is simply required that selling the school and it's programs will attract plenty of athletes BUT as the record reflects and is again being reflected this year,Eagle's is way out of his league and in retrospect was a bad choice UNLESS it has been Administrations agenda to have happen exactly what is happening and use it as justification to close down the program.

Fess up STU administration and do something about this disasterous affair under the orchestration of Eagles.

Old
11-02-2010, 02:05 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Agreed, but the fact remains they're 0-4 at a -23 and 1-0 +1 with Lavigne out/in. I think it gets to a point where you just rely too much on your tender. No knock on MacFarlane either, I'm sure he can do the job, the team is just utter **** in front of him.

You can't conclusively say that he did or did not hit him from the video but you have to admit it's more than a facewash motion, and that Lavigne had no business being that near to our bench doing his antics (too bad neither my camera nor STU's caught his celebration, haven't seen anyone win the Stanley Cup be that excited in a while)
great camera work done by yours truly! I was focusing on the celebration because its what i am told to do lol. I didnt think i caught the swipe, but it turns out i did!

Old
11-02-2010, 02:15 AM
RCPXP

I spoke to Lavigne on Saturday night's broadcast. He admits striking Leduc, though he claims Leduc first made a motion toward him so he reacted.

Old
11-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Squirrel Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyPuckRadio View Post
I spoke to Lavigne on Saturday night's broadcast. He admits striking Leduc, though he claims Leduc first made a motion toward him so he reacted.
I have to agree, from where I was standing it did look like the Moncton player made a head motion at Lavigne just before they met. More of a taunt than anything; which seemed to have solicited the reaction he was looking for.

Old
11-02-2010, 06:50 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyPuckRadio View Post
Thanks Corey, I stand corrected. I guess I fit the stereotype of a typical unreliable eyewitness ... convinced of what I thought I saw in the blink of an eye.

Old
11-02-2010, 06:54 AM
timbitca

Quote:
great camera work done by yours truly! I was focusing on the celebration because its what i am told to do lol. I didnt think i caught the swipe, but it turns out i did!
Haha. Good job on the camera work, I watched the overtime from your disk and it's much much better than some of the stuff I get from around the AUS, and in my own building too. I've got a cameraman who likes to hunt down women in the stands.

Old
11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
TomBull

Quote:

I have watched this several times now.

Watch Leduc duck down and start skating really hard towards Lavigne then let up at the very end before Charlie lifts his trapper. Then the Moncton guys skate right into the fray and mix it up with Tommies.

This is not a pardon for Lavigne considering he shouldn't have been on that side of the ice but Leduc was also being an idiot.

I was sitting behind Lavigne and when STU scored he took off like mad towards the Moncton bench tapping his stick and yelling at the Moncton bench kind of show boating. Not the most sportsman like thing to do but the two teams were jawing all night.

Last edited by TomBull: 11-02-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: addition to post
Old
11-06-2010, 05:31 AM
cookiecutter

It's November Already!

So what is one to do? I have heard rants against the coach, conspiracy theories against the University that this is a plot to get rid of the Tommies, and lack of courses to attract athletes. UNB got rid of other varsity teams to strengthen other programs. Should we gain money from those type of cuts and go with a stronger recruiting dollar; ie attract more expensive European players. Regardless what we think, our voices on this board do not amount to much, so we might as well either go to the games and support the team, go to other rinks to watch some better hockey, or continue tosupport a losing team, with out griping. So what do we do?

Old
11-06-2010, 07:52 AM
cishockeyfan

St Thomas Tommies Issues, will be addressed and a thing of the past by Next Season when they move into the Grant Harvey Center. Mike Eagles will continue to be the coach, but they are changing how they do things behind the scenes as of right now with recruiting. While its possible you may see a new player in Tommies colors after christmas, your more likely to see the team with a new Look Starting in the 2011 season. I can almost guarentee you will start to see stronger recruits by next season, big names and the biggest goal is to strengthing the D for sure. It won't be Eagles to single handidly recruit over a telephone line anymore, cause Mike would be the first one to admit (not in the media) that he has not been too succesful their. Their is a really good Network of Recruiters being pieced together for STU right now, with heavy ties to the OHL etc

Old
11-06-2010, 10:25 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
St Thomas Tommies Issues, will be addressed and a thing of the past by Next Season when they move into the Grant Harvey Center. Mike Eagles will continue to be the coach, but they are changing how they do things behind the scenes as of right now with recruiting. While its possible you may see a new player in Tommies colors after christmas, your more likely to see the team with a new Look Starting in the 2011 season. I can almost guarentee you will start to see stronger recruits by next season, big names and the biggest goal is to strengthing the D for sure. It won't be Eagles to single handidly recruit over a telephone line anymore, cause Mike would be the first one to admit (not in the media) that he has not been too succesful their. Their is a really good Network of Recruiters being pieced together for STU right now, with heavy ties to the OHL etc
I would just love to BLAST you right now.

While there may be some truths in the above statement most of it is conjecture with a tad of hope thrown in for good measure, which makes no sense coming from a Squirrel.

Old
11-06-2010, 04:01 PM
rantfather

Lack of recruiting network is NOT the issue!

Quote:
The issue is having a" control freak "at the helm of the hockey program with whatever personality flaws who trusts NOBODY'S opinions on most issues and in the last 2 years rejected scouting reports on about 88 candidates who are starring at universities elsewhere.
A network of recruiting experts have been available to Eagles who has for 9 years continued to rely only on his" flawed evaluations" and REJECTED those who would have been dutifully scouting candidates only to have them rejested by Eagles.

A network has & did exist until recently when those who could help have finally given up on Eagles stubborn,unsuccessful pursuit of approproate student athletes.

It is NOT that there hasn't been appropriate identification of appropriate candidates by these birddogs,it is that Eagles refuses to close the appropriate dealsand allow someone who can close those deals.

Recruitng by phone?......HELLO!

His lack of communication style is notorously known by EVERYBODY in Fredericton and the continuation of this leadership by this undereducated,untrained administrater only begs for continued problems.HE IS WAY IN OVER HIS HEAD! in a word DISASTER.

There are well placed FORMER tommies placed in the hockey world who have offered their services pro-bono ,the problem is that Eagles will not nor does he have the skill to bring these people back into the fold as he continues his one man show.

I believe that he believes that he does not need anybody and it is shameful that such a flawed individual has been put in such an important position with-in St.Thomas.

He is untrained,uneducated and unsuitable to be allowed to continue and should have nothing to do with perpetuating his style of leadership nor rebuilding this once proud team to respectability and prominence.A search such as is underway for a New President should be underetaken for a QUALIFIED Athletic Director and for a new men's hockey coach who can navigate the program back to prominance both academically and athletically.

Old
11-06-2010, 05:57 PM
cookiecutter

WOW!! you mean they are going to the new Rink? How much money are they dumping into their varsity programs. I don't see gate money supporting all of this!

Old
11-06-2010, 05:59 PM
cookiecutter

Also... Eagles should sit the goalie for an additional game himself. Why let the league disciple players when you can't yourself? At least this way others might respect him more, especially his players.

Old
11-06-2010, 08:08 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
I would just love to BLAST you right now.

While there may be some truths in the above statement most of it is conjecture with a tad of hope thrown in for good measure, which makes no sense coming from a Squirrel.
I really meant what I said. But I guess I don't know for sure how things have worked for Mike in recruiting the past 8 years. But I do know, familiar Tommie faces that meant something to the program are getting involved and are commited to seeing this team improved. And moving into the new rink will make it all a little more attractive.

At the same time a change from Mike Eagles wouldnt hurt either, hes a good guy, just not really the right guy right now.

I would love nothing more than for the tommies to succeed. I miss the fear of playing againts great players or players you hated to play againts in recent memory, especially down the hill at the LBR, Im talking about the Jason Sands, Dave Gilmores, Dave Campbells, Mike Hansons, Kyle McAllisters, and the always pesky Nick Theriault, Matt Seymours, thats only to name a few, so many I could name, those star players or heart and soul guys, when the LBR (and sometimes the AUC) would be packed, divided 50% 50% fans hollering cross Ice at each other, Rum Row Heckling Craig Mahon during Warmup, those are good times, we all need back, UNB Fans, Tommie fans and local Hockey Fans

Old
11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Rob

Will the Grant-Harvey rink be completed in time for next season?

Old
11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
gleanerguy

Target is December 2011...there will likely be some delays that make it more like Jan-Feb. depending on how hard the winter is...

Old
11-07-2010, 12:57 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
I really meant what I said. But I guess I don't know for sure how things have worked for Mike in recruiting the past 8 years. But I do know, familiar Tommie faces that meant something to the program are getting involved and are commited to seeing this team improved. And moving into the new rink will make it all a little more attractive.

At the same time a change from Mike Eagles wouldnt hurt either, hes a good guy, just not really the right guy right now.

I would love nothing more than for the tommies to succeed. I miss the fear of playing againts great players or players you hated to play againts in recent memory, especially down the hill at the LBR, Im talking about the Jason Sands, Dave Gilmores, Dave Campbells, Mike Hansons, Kyle McAllisters, and the always pesky Nick Theriault, Matt Seymours, thats only to name a few, so many I could name, those star players or heart and soul guys, when the LBR (and sometimes the AUC) would be packed, divided 50% 50% fans hollering cross Ice at each other, Rum Row Heckling Craig Mahon during Warmup, those are good times, we all need back, UNB Fans, Tommie fans and local Hockey Fans
i totally agree....i miss the Theriault and Mahon battles. Nothing better than getting on Craig Mahon. We have pesky guys in Reich and Dulle, but they havent done enough to get the UNB fans to hate on them as much as they HATED Theriault. Sands (who i know personally since were both Kingston guys) was a phenominal talent. I remember the battles him and Marc Savard from the Bruins used to have in the OHL. Now Savvy is in Boston and Sands is a real estate agent. A recruting network is just what the school needs. Mike cant do it all himself. If we get the recruiting thing, it helps long term. There is no way Dal can get quality guys being in the basement for 6 years and the Tommies cant. Its up to everyone on this team to step up and play well because guys want to join winning teams in their possible last years of hockey, not on bad teams.

And rantfather, no one is listening to you anyways

Old
11-07-2010, 01:43 AM
rantfather

Inadequate recruiting +lack of retention= the present situation!

Quote:
i totally agree....i miss the Theriault and Mahon battles. Nothing better than getting on Craig Mahon. We have pesky guys in Reich and Dulle, but they havent done enough to get the UNB fans to hate on them as much as they HATED Theriault. Sands (who i know personally since were both Kingston guys) was a phenominal talent. I remember the battles him and Marc Savard from the Bruins used to have in the OHL. Now Savvy is in Boston and Sands is a real estate agent. A recruting network is just what the school needs. Mike cant do it all himself. If we get the recruiting thing, it helps long term. There is no way Dal can get quality guys being in the basement for 6 years and the Tommies cant. Its up to everyone on this team to step up and play well because guys want to join winning teams in their possible last years of hockey, not on bad teams.

And rantfather, no one is listening to you anyways
The record speaks for itself Snipeshow 91,and if you ere capable of making an objective observation it should be clear to you.

Eagles "MIGHT" be a good coach but his lack of appropriate education,training and experience leaves him unprepared to deal ith the added responsabilities of A/D nor should it have been expected that he should;his appointment was a poor choice and his problems as the coach have continued to mount.

Last years aquisition of Mathieu Melanson has resulted in just about a big NOTHING and he was mysteriously absent from this weekends line-up with the always mysterious "upper body injury" ie head case,and since Dietrich was invited NOT to return the last years Wild West line is minus a BIG piece.........and his replacement hasn't been found..

A couple of other lines have emerged ie Labonte being back with Eagles and Cameron;Banfield,Cassidy and Gallant being another but Jordan Scott doesent belong in the line-up and took too many inopportune penalties this weekend.

Untimely injuries have wreaked the "D" but no depth to ride this one out.

There is goaltending when it's present and accounted for but 9 years of mostly inadequate recruiting and retention cannot be overcome overnight and Eagles has demonstrated for too long his inability to rectify this situation.

So to anybody who might be listening,it is time to "rectify" and move the program on .

Old
11-07-2010, 06:38 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Rantfather no one is listening to you anyways
I'm listening and the word is sinking in a little more every time.

Snipeshow ignore everyone else on this board for a while and read only the Tommies fans posts. There is something wrong. The non-Tommies fans have no vested interest in STU doing well, if I were them I would want the status quo as well. Easier time for them to recruit good players and a good shot at picking up 8 points over the course of the season. Everything looks great at STU for them. Take Timbit for example, no wonder he would want Eagles to stay, his team has to compete against Dalhousie for players now, do you think for one minute he wants STU in the mix? No he does not. Pick what ever Squirrel fan you want, Mike is a good guy, he is this and that, which no body will dispute, but what has he done for our hockey team? In a 10 year coaching run he has 2 plus 500 seasons, since taking over as AD he hasn't made the playoffs and we won't this year either. EVERYTHING IS NOT FINE!! WE HAVE WON, WE KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN, WE CAN WIN AGAIN BUT NOTHING IS CHANGING FOR THIS TO HAPPEN, WAKE THE F UP!!!!

Rantfather is the only one who has any nuts on here at all. (other than the Squirrels, and they are all hidden this time of year...a little ha ha for you) If he's posting, I'm reading. Anytime someone is willing to try and shoot down what he is saying on an overall basis, please keep in mind the Tommies record.....lose Lose LOse LOSe LOSE

Old
11-07-2010, 10:01 AM
timbitca

You know one thing I don't understand... I was thinking about this on the bus last night drinking a pop and reading this thread.

If there's any of the 8 coaches in the league who should have a good network of contacts in hockey to help with recruiting it should be Mike Eagles, the guy played over 1,000 professional games, not to mention almost 1,000 in the NHL alone. There has to be people all over the place in junior hockey accross Canada he can call in favours too (ie, talk to players and such). I know when we had Bob here it was somewhat easier to talk to players since he damn near knew everyone in junior hockey (not that it made him a good recruiter, he was almost as bad as Mike) but you know...

Well... maybe that's it. Maybe Mike CAN get to the players, he just can't properly talk to them once he does have them on the line or in front of him.

And for the love of god, like STUTOMMIES said, don't get a french coach or I might freak out. Bad enough we already have to deal with Pete for competition for a very limited pool of players, who also happens to be one of the best recruiters in CIS hockey.

Old
11-07-2010, 11:09 AM
cookiecutter

Two problems mentioned. Yes Mike played in the NHL, but so did a thousand other players turned coaches. You don't have to be and artistist to teach art, you have to be a teacher as well. He is a player not a coach. What do you think might have happened if Mike were working for a different AD? Probly fired by now. Secondly, not everyone at STU high levels feels that hockey should be the flagship program of the university. IT IS A HUGE MONEY DRAIN!! They want the flagship to be course work.

Closed Thread