HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Parent - Start of his Career Sputtering Along

Old
11-01-2010, 02:53 PM
illogic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Parent left Sunday's practice early with what Vigneault described as a minor groin strain.
http://communities.canada.com/vancou...ay-monday.aspx
Of course he did.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Rydgar

The number of D-men injuries can't possibly be a coincidence over the past years (this goes back to the WCE too).

There's no way any other team has had close to as many as ours over the past decade.

Rydgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 325
I hope he gets sent down to the Moose, and we can develop him to be a good defensive d-man.

The Linden trade from 1998 is the gift that keeps on giving.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:43 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Parent really needs to go to the Moose and play lots of minutes to get his puck confidence back. He's been unnoticeable but solid in the few games we've seen him play, but would benefit from getting a lot of ice-time as the go-to shutdown guy in Manitoba. Seems like he was rushed to the NHL and never really got to develop the other parts of his game needed to be a successful NHL D-man. He's still a project with potential though, so I hope he works out well for us in the end.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:48 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Another groin strain?

Didn't someone make a topic about how since Roger Takahashi has been our strength and conditioning coach that we've had a **** load of groin strains? It was a compelling argument from what I recall.

Damn.

I hope we can hang onto him and get him a full year in the AHL just to settle down his career. It's hard to get any progress going when one night you're playing for a defensive team and the next you're in an offense-first system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydgar View Post
The number of D-men injuries can't possibly be a coincidence over the past years (this goes back to the WCE too).

There's no way any other team has had close to as many as ours over the past decade.
Is there any way to find numbers that would back this up? I'd be really interested to know just how many injuries we've had over the last couple years compared to other teams. Pretty sure Gillis and co. have studied this as they've focused on making players more comfortable so as to benefit the team like the travel study, sleep doctors, the mind room etc.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:00 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Is there any way to find numbers that would back this up? I'd be really interested to know just how many injuries we've had over the last couple years compared to other teams. Pretty sure Gillis and co. have studied this as they've focused on making players more comfortable so as to benefit the team like the travel study, sleep doctors, the mind room etc.
I think we're actually pretty average. You just don't notice the problems other teams are having to nearly the extent that you notice issues with the team you're following every day.

Look at NJ tonight - multiple blueliners out. Same for Anaheim when we played them earlier in the year.

As for Parent, the notion that his groin strain has something to do with Takahashi is ridiculous as we aquired this player less than a month ago and he would have been on Nashville's offseason training program.

Hamhuis was hit by a shot, Ballard bounced his head off the glass hard after being hit, and Salo blew his achilles playing ball hockey in the offseason. None of these injuries have anything to do with training, or travel, or anything you can control.

Same goes for Bieksa's skate cuts or Mitchell's concussion or any of Salo's injuries in prior seasons. The nature of playing defense in the NHL is that you're taking a lot of hits and having a lot of pucks bounce off you and injuries are going to happen.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote