Flames scoring depth

Old
10-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

vCash: 500
Flames scoring depth

Hey guys,

I've recently adopted the Calgary Flames as my second favorite team, partly because my Devils are awful right now, but also because I'm a big fan of Brent Sutter and I loved his work in Jersey. The guy actually has a set system that doesn't handicap players and it allows for a quick transition game and lots of offense.

So, with that out of the way I was wondering what you guys think of the Flames' scoring depth this year. After watching two games this year (vs the Sharks and vs the Oilers) I think it's safe to say the Flames are doing just fine at forward.

Iginla
Tanguay
Morrison
Jokinen
Stajan
Bourque (love this guy)
Hagman

and on the blue line you have guys like Bouwmeester and Giordano creating offense.

I think the depth is just fine, this team plays like an actual team and that's why they're going to have a great season this year. With a ****ing awesome Defense core, a solid group of forwards and a very capable goaltender between the pipes, you better believe these Calgary Flames are for real.

What do you guys think? You content with the scoring depth?

Chessarmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 07:27 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Definitely content considering the injuries:

Langkow - Neck - Out Indefinite
Stone - Knee - Out Indefinite
Kotalik - Knee - Out Indefinite
Moss - Shoulder - Out Indefinte
Ivanans - Head - Day-to-Day

Possibly the most man games lost due to injury in the league so far and scoring goals like it's going out of style. The Flames are looking really good right now. Let's hope it continues.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
Hey guys,

I've recently adopted the Calgary Flames as my second favorite team, partly because my Devils are awful right now, but also because I'm a big fan of Brent Sutter and I loved his work in Jersey. The guy actually has a set system that doesn't handicap players and it allows for a quick transition game and lots of offense.

So, with that out of the way I was wondering what you guys think of the Flames' scoring depth this year. After watching two games this year (vs the Sharks and vs the Oilers) I think it's safe to say the Flames are doing just fine at forward.

Iginla
Tanguay
Morrison
Jokinen
Stajan
Bourque (love this guy)
Hagman

and on the blue line you have guys like Bouwmeester and Giordano creating offense.

I think the depth is just fine, this team plays like an actual team and that's why they're going to have a great season this year. With a ****ing awesome Defense core, a solid group of forwards and a very capable goaltender between the pipes, you better believe these Calgary Flames are for real.

definitely content... lets be honest here we have 11 forwards that should be playing in the top 9 when everyone is healthy and 9 NHL calibre defensemen

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 132
Welcome to the C of Red. ;D

When it comes to scoring depth, I don't think I've ever had any concern. By the end of the offseason (pre-injuries), we were basically running a 1b, 2, 2, 3 sort of lineup in terms of line ability. Now it's more like a 1a, 2a, 2b, 3, in that the second and third lines are interchangeable in playing strength / scoring ability. A slight downgrade during the season as opposed to the preseason, mainly because of Langkow.

But still, most of that comes from the "scoring by committee" system that Sutter's got, as I'm sure you've seen. Lots of teams say "defense needs to jump up into the rush", and it's the new buzz phrase across the league, but Calgary's d-men are actually putting it into play and getting results. 3 straight, 5 out of the last six = wins. High scoring for the most part. Strong defensive team play.

All the makings of that Sutter system everyone's wondered about. Not to saw that the team can't slump, but obviously, proof it works when it works.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:28 PM
AnAfricanMidget

Very happy with the scoring depth. Our top 9 is always a threat to score, and thats with injuries. When Tanguay and Jokinen signed, thats when I felt we had some really good depth.

Yet for some reason, people would still say that we would have trouble scoring goals.

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys View Post
Welcome to the C of Red. ;D
Love your team, and that's not just me being a polite outsider on your board, I'm taking it upon myself to follow them this season and I'm hoping for good results. Sutter is an awesome coach, it took him one season to get settled in with the Devils and it looks like the same thing happened with Calgary.

One thing that really impresses me is the defense, they are so physical and they make it hard on opposition forwards to enter the zone.

Chessarmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:52 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
I've recently adopted the Calgary Flames as my second favorite team...

Welcome!

I hope you like rollercoaster rides.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:37 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Love your team, and that's not just me being a polite outsider on your board, I'm taking it upon myself to follow them this season and I'm hoping for good results. Sutter is an awesome coach, it took him one season to get settled in with the Devils and it looks like the same thing happened with Calgary.

One thing that really impresses me is the defense, they are so physical and they make it hard on opposition forwards to enter the zone.
You know, I've always kind of liked the Devils too. Wonder if it's a Fire and Satan correlation?

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:55 AM
The Gnome

Quote:

Got to be honest as well. Devil's fan as well. I really hope they turn things around, as I expect big things out of their top players. I'd kill to see Zajac in a flames Uni.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:34 PM
AnAfricanMidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Got to be honest as well. Devil's fan as well. I really hope they turn things around, as I expect big things out of their top players. I'd kill to see Zajac in a flames Uni.
Man ive noticed you are a Flames Sens and Devils fan.

Im starting to think you just lvoe watching hockey

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:31 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Hagman will score 30 goals. book it.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 02:09 AM
Stewie Griffin
#unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Hagman will score 30 goals. book it.
Book it? Really?

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:34 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Hey guys,

Iginla
Tanguay
Morrison
Jokinen
Stajan
Bourque (love this guy)
Hagman

Welcome over from the dark side Sure the Flames stunk it up a couple games but they can score. That is no longer the problem. Now it is to remember how to play their game plan.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:35 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Book it? Really?

Lol.... look at their user name though....

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote