HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Wellwood called up; expected to replace Nodl tonight (November 1)

Old
11-02-2010, 07:20 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I can honestly say he impressed me. He can skate, really fast. I'd prefer him over Nodl right now. Seemed to understand Lavy's system really well too and synced right into it.
I thought he played very well, but I'd like to see how he does on the PK (not to mention a few other games) first. One of the best things about Nodl is he can play that energy role but also help when we're down a man. It's nice to have some non-stars who can kill and eat up some time.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:39 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 247
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
According to the scouting report he can play PK and is projected to be a decent 2 way forward.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:32 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I can honestly say he impressed me. He can skate, really fast. I'd prefer him over Nodl right now. Seemed to understand Lavy's system really well too and synced right into it.

That's the wrong move.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:49 AM
IrishSniper87

I was at the game last night. Wellwood looked great with Richards. I hope he sticks around a bit. He was really fast (JVR and Carter were FLYING last night) and he layed out some hits and had a few decent opportunities.

I'd like to see Wellwood 2 more times while Briere is out.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:40 AM
ELab2

This kind of two way player who can play an everyday defensive role and then step up for some games when needed is a real strength in our system. Hopefully some offense develops for a couple of those guys and we end up with some more really good top-6 forwards. Either way, it's a boon to this team with all it's talent up front to have a ton of guys who can come in and not hurt the team.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

That's the wrong move.
Wellwood is already about 500 miles ahead of Nodl as far as offensive game at the NHL level if he can keep up the play he showed yesterday. Far more assertive, far more straight line...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Wellwood is already about 500 miles ahead of Nodl as far as offensive game at the NHL level if he can keep up the play he showed yesterday. Far more assertive, far more straight line...
That's about all he's proven to be better than Nodl at so far; that and speed skating.

Also, he's a 20-year-old, and you feel he'd be ready for a long-term NHL job after just one NHL game?

Not wanting to send him back to Adirondack to deal with Gilbert is one thing, believing he's ready as a 20-year-old for long-term duty is another.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
That's about all he's proven to be better than Nodl at so far; that and speed skating.

Also, he's a 20-year-old, and you feel he'd be ready for a long-term NHL job after just one NHL game?

Not wanting to send him back to Adirondack to deal with Gilbert is one thing, believing he's ready as a 20-year-old for long-term duty is another.
He's 20, not 18.

And, as said in that post, if he can keep up that level of play. He looked stellar out there last night. He played a simple game, stayed within himself, and did a LOT of good things.

And, yes, if you're playing someone with Richards, actually looking like you are something of a threat offensively is worth a lot.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:56 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
He's 20, not 18.

And, as said in that post, if he can keep up that level of play. He looked stellar out there last night. He played a simple game, stayed within himself, and did a LOT of good things.

And, yes, if you're playing someone with Richards, actually looking like you are something of a threat offensively is worth a lot.
We'll see. Nodl's out for one game and people immediately forget how well he's playing.

It's scary how much unwarranted hatred and disdain Nodl somehow earned on these boards.

I like Wellwood at lot, and I thought last night was really impressive.

Still, throwing Wellwood to the wolves right now, when Nodl has been playing very well, is the wrong move.

EDIT: In another note, I wonder if the champions of justice here on the Flyers' board still think the Phantoms' poor play is still a complete lack of talent and not administration/locker room problems...

Old
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
ELab2

I thought overall he was excellent, but no one else here thought that at times he looked a little bit outmatched as far as the speed of the game goes?
Not that it might not go away with a few games under his belt. But right now Nodl is fully comfortable with the speed of the NHL game and I don't think Wellwood is.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
We'll see. Nodl's out for one game and people immediately forget how well he's playing.

It's scary how much unwarranted hatred and disdain Nodl somehow earned on these boards.

I like Wellwood at lot, and I thought last night was really impressive.

Still, throwing Wellwood to the wolves right now, when Nodl has been playing very well, is the wrong move.
Who is forgetting anything? Even with Nodl supposedly playing so well... he's almost NEVER a threat in the offensive zone. He creates very few chances, and nukes a lot of good ones with his offensive decision making. His two goals this year are an ENG and an empty net (which he almost missed) created by a beautiful feed on the tape from JVR.

Wellwood was involved, making dangerous passes that created chances... jumping into dangerous spaces to create scoring chances... made an excellent defensive play that turned around into a scoring chance.

There was a LOT to like there.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Quote:
He's 20, not 18.

Wellwood may be younger, but the kid can skate and showed some offensive skills. I'd give him a few more games before sending him down in place of No-Goal Nodl.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:11 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Who is forgetting anything? Even with Nodl supposedly playing so well... he's almost NEVER a threat in the offensive zone. He creates very few chances, and nukes a lot of good ones with his offensive decision making. His two goals this year are an ENG and an empty net (which he almost missed) created by a beautiful feed on the tape from JVR.

Wellwood was involved, making dangerous passes that created chances... jumping into dangerous spaces to create scoring chances... made an excellent defensive play that turned around into a scoring chance.

I will admit that Wellwood is a really smart player, something he showed out there, but he's not physically developed. Other plays his age and younger have gotten by based on skill, but Wellwood is a hard-work determination kind of guy. He needs to adapt to the speed and physicality of the league. The Carolina Hurricanes, one of the youngest teams in the NHL in not the youngest, are not a good baseline. The Rangers will be a much better test to see how well Wellwood will hold up to the normal competition in the Atlantic Division and the stronger teams in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Wellwood may be younger, but the kid can skate and showed some offensive skills. I'd give him a few more games before sending him down in place of No-Goal Nodl.
Nodl was playing VERY well before he got hurt, better than Wellwood played in last night's game in fact.

That said, I'd be willing to give Wellwood a few more trial games just to make sure Nodl is 100% if not just to keep Wellwood out of Adirondack a few more days.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Jester

Quote:
I agree... he showed me more spunk than Nodl has in any of the 50 odd games he's played now.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't think Wellwood will be sticking around, nor should he. One game in the NHL does not prove anything. He will probably be a solid player, but come on. It was one game. Against Carolina. Send him down and let him play in the A and if someone gets hurt again (which is gonna happen) call him back up. It's good to have a solid player to call up.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:

There was a lot to like about Wellwood, but also Nodl lately. He scored a nice goal last game, and has had some really good chances too. I think he's starting to get more confidence with playing time.

That said, Wellwood and Nodl are two very different players. Nodl is a lot bigger and stronger - he's more capable of hitting on the forecheck and playing the PK.

Wellwood is small and fast. He will be even better when he fills out a bit, but, like Homer said, Wellwood and Rinaldo are going to play for the Flyers, it's just a matter of when....

For what the Flyers need, I would still send Wellwood down for seasoning and let Nodl play when he's healthy.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
There was a lot to like about Wellwood, but also Nodl lately. He scored a nice goal last game, and has had some really good chances too. I think he's starting to get more confidence with playing time.

That said, Wellwood and Nodl are two very different players. Nodl is a lot bigger and stronger - he's more capable of hitting on the forecheck and playing the PK.

Wellwood is small and fast. He will be even better when he fills out a bit, but, like Homer said, Wellwood and Rinaldo are going to play for the Flyers, it's just a matter of when....

For what the Flyers need, I would still send Wellwood down for seasoning and let Nodl play when he's healthy.
Well, the reality is that neither of them should be in our lineup when we're fully functional and healthy right now.

Old
11-02-2010, 11:16 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Playing on a line with Richards and Giroux, Im taking Wellwood over Nodl. Wellwood, so far, has shown that he isnt afraid to shoot. Nodl locks up infront of the goalie. Wellwood had that one play where he was fighting off a defender to recieve a pass from Richie and score. Nodl has never done that or has shown that he will in the future. For a defensive role, Id take Nodl, but playing on a line that is expected to play offense, right now its Wellwood.

Nodl has 6 shots in 5 games.
Wellwood has 6 shots in 1 game. I know he might not keep that up, but he has shown that he isnt afraid to shoot. Players like that are going to score a good amount of goals (again not saying Wellwood is going to be a super goal scorer here)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Playing on a line with Richards and Giroux, Im taking Wellwood over Nodl. Wellwood, so far, has shown that he isnt afraid to shoot. Nodl locks up infront of the goalie. Wellwood had that one play where he was fighting off a defender to recieve a pass from Richie and score. Nodl has never done that or has shown that he will in the future. For a defensive role, Id take Nodl, but playing on a line that is expected to play offense, right now its Wellwood.

Nodl has 6 shots in 5 games.
Wellwood has 6 shots in 1 game. I know he might not keep that up, but he has shown that he isnt afraid to shoot. Players like that are going to score a good amount of goals (again not saying Wellwood is going to be a super goal scorer here)
Even there, Wellwood was known as a strong two-way player coming up. I'm not saying he's going to be dead on there to start (most young players take time defensively), but I'm not particularly concerned, and he had that excellent backchecking play last night.

I'm just tired of Richards having to carry around dead weight on his line, as it's neutering his offensive effectiveness at even strength.

Old
11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Wellwood in his post game on ice interview said he still has to adjust to the speed of the game but more importantly his positioning so this is coming from his own self-assessment. Having said this even though as he admitted he was a bit nervous he played his game and looked pretty good doing it. He reminded me of a young Justin Williams....the same Justin Williams Hitchcock ran out of here along with Sharp and who Richards started to tune out.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Wellwood in his post game on ice interview said he still has to adjust to the speed of the game but more importantly his positioning so this is coming from his own self-assessment. Having said this even though as he admitted he was a bit nervous he played his game and looked pretty good doing it. He reminded me of a young Justin Williams....the same Justin Williams Hitchcock ran out of here along with Sharp and who Richards started to tune out.
Richards tuned out Justin Williams? Jerk!

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Richards tuned out Justin Williams? Jerk!
Came out wrong....Richards tuned out Hitch or was starting to. Players like Gagne and Modano credit Hitch with taking them to the next level but they had more thick skin. Richards was and still is a bit more sensitive as his media exploits have shown. Williams was always in Hitch's dog house....Williams style suited Lavy's system hence why he did so well when he got to Carolina. Sharp unfortunately wasn't given a chance....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Came out wrong....Richards tuned out Hitch or was starting to. Players like Gagne and Modano credit Hitch with taking them to the next level but they had more thick skin. Richards was and still is a bit more sensitive as his media exploits have shown. Williams was always in Hitch's dog house....Williams style suited Lavy's system hence why he did so well when he got to Carolina. Sharp unfortunately wasn't given a chance....
Sharp was given a chance, he was a good role player when he was here. He just wasn't better than the guys ahead of him on the depth chart at the time. Way it goes.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
DrHamburg

Can we let Wellwood play 2 more games before while he is still in the lineup? I thought Nodl has played okay thus far. If Wellwood is more effective on offense the next 2 games than keep him in. I think Nodl is a great 4th liner and should only be spot started in the top 9 occasionally.

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Exactly my point of view. Which is why I'm confused that Shaefer face-palmed my post.

"RIGHT NOW."

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote