HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expected to go up 3.5M$-4.5M$

Old
11-02-2010, 01:29 PM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
yeah he will be paid,
but what he said is that his salary cap count against the cap even if he plays in AHL:
It won't

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
yeah he will be paid,
but what he said is that his salary cap count against the cap even if he plays in AHL:
If he retires, it counts.

If he goes to the AHL, it doesn't count. By that logic, every 35+ year old guy in the AHL on an NHL deal would count against his team's cap. That's just not true.

He also wouldn't count if he went to Europe.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Sign Chara
Dont think I want chara in 7 years.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
Since Gomez's contract is front loaded, maybe just maybe another team will want him at 7.5, 5.5 then 4.5 for the next 3 years. If the cap goes up, the floor goes up as well. Maybe some team struggling to make it will want him.

Then we sign Richards.
very big point many forget or just don't understand

his salary goes down and his cap stays at 7.3. A top 6 Center with blazing speed reasonable salary and high cap hit is very attractive to many small market teams that struggle to make the cap floor.

Top 6 Centers don't grow on trees.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Probably have to eat his contract for 1 more year though after this until he reaches the 5.5 year.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
If he retires, it counts.

If he goes to the AHL, it doesn't count. By that logic, every 35+ year old guy in the AHL on an NHL deal would count against his team's cap. That's just not true.

He also wouldn't count if he went to Europe.
im pretty sure the contract has to be signed after the payer is 35 for it to count against the cap if he were to be sent to AHL

Old
11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
Since Gomez's contract is front loaded, maybe just maybe another team will want him at 7.5, 5.5 then 4.5 for the next 3 years. If the cap goes up, the floor goes up as well. Maybe some team struggling to make it will want him.

Then we sign Richards. Is there a website with a list of all the availible UFAs next year?
Capgeek has a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Sign Chara
This Chara? The one who's signed until 2017-2018 w/ an NMC? Internet jokes, so good.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

his salary goes down and his cap stays at 7.3. A top 6 Center with blazing speed reasonable salary and high cap hit is very attractive to many small market teams that struggle to make the cap floor.

Top 6 Centers don't grow on trees.
He isn't going anywhere for the duration of his deal. Macavoy posted the only reasonable post about the situation. Where are these teams you speak of and the players with huge cap hits they have signed to get to the cap floor? It hasn't happened, ever.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Probably have to eat his contract for 1 more year though after this until he reaches the 5.5 year.
ya but its nice to have options for the club in his last 2 yrs. He doesn't handcuff the team like many think. He is still needed here as we don't have a replacement yet but Eller may develop in the next 2 seasons and then Gomez is tradeable at the right time. Gomez would be effective in a 3rd line role if Eller earns 2nd line duty by then.

Old
11-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Habbadasher

I question the OP's premise, because even teams such as "hockeytown" Detroit are having a tough selling tickets, and given this is still a gate revenue driven league, so I would think that the increase in tv revenue maybe offset by a decrease in gate revenue.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:03 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
He isn't going anywhere for the duration of his deal. Macavoy posted the only reasonable post about the situation. Where are these teams you speak of and the players with huge cap hits they have signed to get to the cap floor? It hasn't happened, ever.
As the cap floor keeps going up this will probably happen more often.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Lucius

Quote:
im pretty sure the contract has to be signed after the payer is 35 for it to count against the cap if he were to be sent to AHL
Example: Chris Chelios did NOT count against Atlanta's cap last year when he was in the AHL.

He was just a bit over 35 when he signed that deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
I question the OP's premise, because even teams such as "hockeytown" Detroit are having a tough selling tickets, and given this is still a gate revenue driven league, so I would think that the increase in tv revenue maybe offset by a decrease in gate revenue.
You're using one example to derive a trend, which is absurd.

Attendance fluctuates in most cities each season...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Generally, I'd say just glancing (if anyone wants to average out the numbers, be my guest) attendance is equal or better than last season so far.

Quote:
The Islanders are coasting by off buyouts right now. Witt and Yashin have them at the floor.

Last edited by Lucius: 11-02-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old
11-02-2010, 02:45 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Then we sign Richards. Is there a website with a list of all the availible UFAs next year?
Let's hope...

Gomez has a limited NTC if I'm correct, meaning that he has a handfull of teams he can't be traded to, but shouldn't be too long of a list.

I would go hard after Richards and try to unload Gomez... if not, just send him down to the AHL...

Richards >>>>> Gomez

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:52 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Example: Chris Chelios did NOT count against Atlanta's cap last year when he was in the AHL.
Not sayin you're wrong or anything, but back in 2005-2006, i'm pretty sure Malakhov and Mogilny contract counted on the devils salary cap. They finally get rid of Malakhov cap hit after trading him to San Jose and Mogilny because of an injury or something like that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2609885

The Devils were pushed over the cap limit this summer when they signed forward Patrik Elias to a seven-year, $42 million contract -- a $7.5 million contract this season -- and center Scott Gomez was awarded $5 million by an arbitrator.

The Devils, who also signed Jamie Langenbrunner in the offseason, also owed Malakhov and forward Alexander Mogilny some $7.1 million this season, even though they will not be on the team. They were signed as free agents last season, but they were dropped from the roster for poor play.

Mogilny was sent to the minors. Malakhov, when faced with the prospect of being sent to the minors, first decided to retire, then changed his mind and rejoined the team. The Devils then suspended Malakhov for abandoning the team.

Since they were both over 35-years-old when they signed last year, their salaries counted against the Devils' salary cap.

Maybe i'm missing something?

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Let's hope...

Gomez has a limited NTC if I'm correct, meaning that he has a handfull of teams he can't be traded to, but shouldn't be too long of a list.

I would go hard after Richards and try to unload Gomez... if not, just send him down to the AHL...

Richards >>>>> Gomez
While I agree with you in principal that Richards is the better player, I wouldn't necessarily do this.

If the team goes out and buries Gomez, that sends a shockwave through the room. Everyone must have seen someone get fired at their job in their lives. It's a weird, jarring experience.

The team is 1st in the East, I wouldn't go messing with it unless Gomez is on some epic slide of futility (and 11 games does not constitute epic) or the team has bottomed out.

Otherwise, you wait for the offseason to make major moves like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Not sayin you're wrong or anything, but back in 2006-2007, i'm pretty sure Malakhov and Mogilny contract counted on the devils salary cap. They finally get rid of Malakhov cap hit after trading him to San Jose and Mogilny because of an injury or something like that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2609885

The Devils were pushed over the cap limit this summer when they signed forward Patrik Elias to a seven-year, $42 million contract -- a $7.5 million contract this season -- and center Scott Gomez was awarded $5 million by an arbitrator.

The Devils, who also signed Jamie Langenbrunner in the offseason, also owed Malakhov and forward Alexander Mogilny some $7.1 million this season, even though they will not be on the team. They were signed as free agents last season, but they were dropped from the roster for poor play.

Mogilny was sent to the minors. Malakhov, when faced with the prospect of being sent to the minors, first decided to retire, then changed his mind and rejoined the team. The Devils then suspended Malakhov for abandoning the team.

Since they were both over 35-years-old when they signed last year, their salaries counted against the Devils' salary cap.

Maybe i'm missing something?
Well there are two things here, after doing some research:

Malakhov counted because he first retired (thus counting) then was suspended. He never made it the AHL. Thus he was like Georges Laraque last season.

On Mogilny, you have a point, I think.

"The CBA also contains a 35-and-over rule, sometimes referred to as the Mogilny rule[5]. This rule states that if a player signs a multi-year deal when the player is 35 or older, starting in the second year of the contract, that amount will count towards the team's salary cap regardless of whether the player is on the active roster or not. This is designed to keep teams from signing older players to lucrative front-loaded contracts, thus saving cap room, in which there is no expectation the player will actually play in the latter years."

So basically, Chelios didn't count because it's a one year deal. I cannot name a single 35+ guy in the AHL who is in at least the second year of a multi-year deal.

So, you are right. Spacek counts in the AHL.

The only other example I wonder about is Nylander. He was 34 when he signed his long term deal in Washington, but he was 35 when he actually started playing on that deal. So I wonder what the rule is on that? He doesn't count against Washington right now.

Last edited by Lucius: 11-02-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old
11-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Lockout 2012?

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
It doesn't happen because small market teams that would sign those contracts would still need to pay the years that the players signed that would be over the cap average which defeats the purpose. It hasn't happened yet because the cap is still new ans layers signed to those contracts haven't a) been bad enough to move b) been good enough to get interest or c) reached the point in the contract where the cap saving occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Let's hope...

Richards >>>>> Gomez
Gomez wont be buried in the AHL unless he reaches Redden levels of FAIL.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Jedrik

Quote:

His cap hit is still the mammoth 7.357, or whatever it is, though.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
Personally I would love to go after Kaberle this summer (after signing Markov and Gorges of course) but how much would this new salary cap give us to make this possible if Gauthier did decide to throw Kaberle an offer on July 1st?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Should be enough to get Erik Cole to play on the top line.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:49 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Lockout 2012?
why? the system works for everyone... if the cap increases it means the owners make more money (revenues) and logically the players salaries should increase as well.

And I'm not even counting regular yearly economical inflation...

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post
Gomez wont be buried in the AHL unless he reaches Redden levels of FAIL.
So he just needs to continue the way he started the year?

Obviously he's better than Redden atm, but paying 7.35M$ for what is at best, at the moment, a third line center is just not worth it when you can easily find a 2nd line center or a better player(s) overall for that price tag over the summer period.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
ScottFC

Gauthier please lock up Markov long term before the new cap numbers are confirmed.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
If the team goes out and buries Gomez, that sends a shockwave through the room. Everyone must have seen someone get fired at their job in their lives. It's a weird, jarring experience.
Unless Gomez reaaaaally picks up his play even his buddy Gionta will be relieved to see him replaced. Gomez's play is disgraceful at the moment, especially since we all know he can do better. He's no better than Spacek now and worse than Kovalev ever was.

He simply doesn't help the team and he doesn't help his teammates.

Its still early but Gomez should be buried in the minors without hesitation if he gets less than 50 points this year. If he's still terrible at the trade deadline a solution should be found then.

Its clear to me him and Spacek are the weakest links in the team considering their roles. Who cares if a 4th liner sucks, they won't impact the team. A second line center who happens to be the highest paid player in franchise history however kind of affects the team's chance of contending, especially since he was brought in to be a first line center! We are lucky Plekanec is so awesome.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Toro

Quote:

He was just a bit over 35 when he signed that deal

You're using one example to derive a trend, which is absurd.

Attendance fluctuates in most cities each season...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Generally, I'd say just glancing (if anyone wants to average out the numbers, be my guest) attendance is equal or better than last season so far.

The Islanders are coasting by off buyouts right now. Witt and Yashin have them at the floor.

so i was right, you can remove your stupid smiley now