HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anisimov's Upside

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2010, 03:20 PM
  #26
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
He has a weak shot for a big man. No one will go wow with his slapshot.
His wrister is not weak at all. I would say its outstanding. He snapped a shot recently from his backhand that looked like it was harder than most of our forwards forehands.

I could care less about his slap shot.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:22 PM
  #27
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,927
vCash: 500
Anisimov's wrister is nasty. Last year Lundqvist was quoted as saying he scored more goals on him than anyone in practice, including Gaborik.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:22 PM
  #28
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
He has a weak shot for a big man. No one will go wow with his slapshot.



AA doesn't have Staal's speed and never will. Staal is an elite player in this league. He burns people nightly with his speed.



This is much more likely his top shelf.
isnt that what upside means?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
  #29
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Just remember guys, he's no better than a solid 3rd line center.

Gordie Clark said so.
Yeah but Gordie Clarke is a pro and knows what he's talking about and we don't

(though to be honest I think some of these expectations for Anisimov are a little absurd)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:39 PM
  #30
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Anisimov's wrister is nasty. Last year Lundqvist was quoted as saying he scored more goals on him than anyone in practice, including Gaborik.
yeah i remember that - but it was vally that said that, meaning it was prolly 10^8 goals per practice.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:46 PM
  #31
TreeSapLlama
Registered User
 
TreeSapLlama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah but Gordie Clarke is a pro and knows what he's talking about and we don't

(though to be honest I think some of these expectations for Anisimov are a little absurd)
I think some people are confusing expectations and upside unfortunately.

For me, my opinion of his upside has risen. Before, I thought his absolute upside was 60 Point 2 - way center. Now I think its not unreasonable to see him reach that. For upside, I see him (now) as a Datsyuk - lite, with his absolute upside being 80 point (30-50) 2 - way selke candidate.

He is a fun player to watch. He is only 22 years old, I look forward to seeing what he can do.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:47 PM
  #32
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,927
vCash: 500
I think for a Sophomore year, jumping from 12-16-28 to 20-30-50 would be a pretty great improvement. He is having the year so far that I hoped he might, but he has to not slow down when the other centers come back.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:52 PM
  #33
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,139
vCash: 500
2nd Line Center, 60 points (25G, 35A) and I'll be happy.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:02 PM
  #34
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
2nd Line Center, 60 points (25G, 35A) and I'll be happy.
2nd line center with ~1st line production.

Only about 30 players scored 70+ points last year. About one per team. Only 55 players (less than 25 being centers) scored 60+ points last year. Less than 2 players per team. 60 points is 1st line production. That would be huge.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:03 PM
  #35
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
He probably tops out at 25 goals. His playmaking game is getting better and better. 45-50 assists is probably the max there. I think he will be somewhere between 60-75 points in his best years.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:04 PM
  #36
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
2nd line center with ~1st line production.

Only about 30 players scored 70+ points last year. About one per team. Only 55 players (less than 25 being centers) scored 60+ points last year. Less than 2 players per team. 60 points is 1st line production. That would be huge.
Well, in reality the distinction between 1st and 2nd line is more so a product of line combinations and chemistry than it is point totals (or projected point totals)... Anisimov could very well be playing on our 2nd line with that kind of production depending on the chemistry he has with his linemates a how the line combos/chemistry develops through the rest of our roster... Not sure I envision Gaborik and AA playing together in the future because I think he seems to thrive playing with aggressive/hard-forechecking wingers who will step right when things get chippy. If that's really the case, if we can find a productive Center for Gaborik sometime in the future, we could have a very nice two lines that produce....


Last edited by wolfgaze: 11-02-2010 at 05:13 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:13 PM
  #37
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,570
vCash: 500
Hate to be the wet blanket, but I'm going to reserve judgment until he plays at least 50 games this year. He looks fantastic so far, but it really comes down to whether or not he can keep it up.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:15 PM
  #38
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,700
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Very similar to Stepan, IMHO. Both have the upside to be a 1B center in this league. Neither will ever be a true #1, but I can see both putting up 70 points.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:22 PM
  #39
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Very similar to Stepan, IMHO. Both have the upside to be a 1B center in this league. Neither will ever be a true #1, but I can see both putting up 70 points.
Can someone explain to me how a 70 point center with at least above average defensive awareness and skills can be a 1b center?

I don't mean to single you out Jon. I have been seeing this for years on this board and I never understand it. Unlike some posters I know you will come back with an educated response, hence why I asked you.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
  #40
Garden Mystique
Registered User
 
Garden Mystique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
I have liked what i have seen this year. He looks to have filled out a little and got stronger on the puck. The extra off season work seemed to pay off.

As for potential I Think he is no doubt a 2c but I'm not ruling him out to be a legitimate 1st line center he has great hands and if he keeps is head up great instincts

Garden Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:32 PM
  #41
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,700
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Can someone explain to me how a 70 point center with at least above average defensive awareness and skills can be a 1b center?

I don't mean to single you out Jon. I have been seeing this for years on this board and I never understand it. Unlike some posters I know you will come back with an educated response, hence why I asked you.
It's all subjective, really. I consider a true #1 center to be fairly elite when it comes to offensive talent. Like a true #1 d-man, I don't think there are many out there.

They really need to be able to carry a team and a line whenever on the ice. I don't think either Anisimov or Stepan can truly do that at the NHL level. I don't think either of them are truly good enough to be able to truly carry other players around them over the course of a full season. They need others around them.

Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, etc. can create offense without having to have players around them. I think we'll find that both Stepan and Anisimov need guys around them of higher skill than the aforementioned players in order to be truly utilized well.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:35 PM
  #42
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
Mikko Koivu sounds about right to me.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:36 PM
  #43
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's all subjective, really. I consider a true #1 center to be fairly elite when it comes to offensive talent. Like a true #1 d-man, I don't think there are many out there.

They really need to be able to carry a team and a line whenever on the ice. I don't think either Anisimov or Stepan can truly do that at the NHL level. I don't think either of them are truly good enough to be able to truly carry other players around them over the course of a full season. They need others around them.

Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, etc. can create offense without having to have players around them. I think we'll find that both Stepan and Anisimov need guys around them of higher skill than the aforementioned players in order to be truly utilized well.
Alright. I can understand what you are saying. So by that thinking there are only about 15 or so true #1 centers, if that, in the NHL.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:42 PM
  #44
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,700
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Alright. I can understand what you are saying. So by that thinking there are only about 15 or so true #1 centers, if that, in the NHL.
Yep. A lot of tweener 1/2 type guys, though. That's not a bad thing. I'd be ecstatic if both Ani and Stepan turn out to be 1/2 type centers.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:46 PM
  #45
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yep. A lot of tweener 1/2 type guys, though. That's not a bad thing. I'd be ecstatic if both Ani and Stepan turn out to be 1/2 type centers.
I agree. I wouldnt think they would be top-end 1st line centers. I think they both can develop into first line centers though. I see a more lanky Koivu for Anisimov and really think Stepan will be a Brad Richards type of talent(70 points + leadership and great defensive abilities).

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:53 PM
  #46
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
I submit into the evidence records...


n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:53 PM
  #47
vladmyir111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Very similar to Stepan, IMHO. Both have the upside to be a 1B center in this league. Neither will ever be a true #1, but I can see both putting up 70 points.
Kind of silly to say a number 1 center has to be elite. Someone putting up 70 points or so is a number one center on every team in the league that doesn't have Crosby, Thornton, Sedin, Backstrom, or one of the other 2 or 3 that broke 80 points last season.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:05 PM
  #48
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,700
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Kind of silly to say a number 1 center has to be elite. Someone putting up 70 points or so is a number one center on every team in the league that doesn't have Crosby, Thornton, Sedin, Backstrom, or one of the other 2 or 3 that broke 80 points last season.
How so? A true #1 player at any position should be fairly elite, I'd think. Just because a guy is the #1 center or #1 D on his team does not mean he'd be one on every team.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
  #49
vladmyir111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
How so? A true #1 player at any position should be fairly elite, I'd think. Just because a guy is the #1 center or #1 D on his team does not mean he'd be one on every team.
Because someone who is considered "elite" at anything is above and beyond what is considered to be very good? I don't think there are more than 10 elite players at any given position in the game (if that many).

It's kind of pointless to even post something like "hey we need a number 1 center" if all you mean is basically an elite player. You're not getting one of those unless they're getting on in years or draft very lucky.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:50 PM
  #50
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
If we can get somewhere between 130-140 combined points from Anisimov and Stepan, I think our problems at center will be effectively solved. I looked up every team to go over 120 pts between their top two centers and if both our guys reach their full potential, we'll be top ten in the league easy. It's also important to note how both our guys are great defensively, that will be a big advantage outside of points.

Elite Tier:
Vancouver: Sedin/Kesler (187 pts)
Pittsburgh: Crosby/Malkin (186 pts)
Tampa: Stamkos/Lecavlier (165 pts)
Washington: Backstrom/Laich (160 pts)

Top Tier:
Dallas: Richards/Ribeiro (144 pts)
San Jose: Thornton/Pavelski (140 pts)
Detroit: Zetterberg/Datsyuk (140 pts)
Buffalo: Roy/Connolly (134 pts)
Colorado: Statsny/Duchene (132 pts)
Montreal: Plekanec/Gomez (129 pts)
Philly: Richards/Carter (123 pts)
Atlanta: Antropov/Peverly (123 pts)
Anaheim: Getzlaf/Koivu (122 pts)

Out of these 13 teams, 9 made the playoffs. The only team to make the Conference semis without being on this list was Boston, who is fine up the middle. Of course, you need more than to just be strong up the middle to do well. Tampa is always a good example for this. However, we do have Henke and a defense that is emerging at a similar pace.

I guess my main point is that it's an exciting time to watch players develop in front of our eyes and it looks like, if things go smoothly, it looks like we can contend within the next couple of years. Especially if we use Drury and Rozi's money to sign a first pair D-Man and a good winger. (Suter and one of Perron/Penner/Umberger?)

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.