HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Emery update

Old
10-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Montreal was gassed after knocking out Pittsburgh and Washington. They did nothing to put pressure on Leighton nor did they attack the net. They were offensively a perimeter team at that point, and Halak had come down to earth hard
Not sure if they were "gassed," or simply dealing with the reality that 5'5" forwards aren't going to threaten our D much.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:25 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not sure if they were "gassed," or simply dealing with the reality that 5'5" forwards aren't going to threaten our D much.
I figured after being world beaters back to back, they wouldn't have much left. They played us differently than they did the other two teams

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I figured after being world beaters back to back, they wouldn't have much left. They played us differently than they did the other two teams
Well, right, but it's a little bit different going into the trenches against Gonchar and Greene than Pronger and Timonen... and even Coburn was playing with an edge in those games.

On top of that, they were basically relying on Cammalleri to be their offense... and Pronger gave him a big middle finger.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
montreal managed to get to the net for one game, and they won.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:48 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

If he made it back that would quite a feat. I liked him in his time here but I can't see his post to post movement returning. It's great to hear that a comeback might even be a remote possibility though.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
If he made it back that would quite a feat. I liked him in his time here but I can't see his post to post movement returning. It's great to hear that a comeback might even be a remote possibility though.
Yeah, I always feel bad for young athletes that have freaky crap happen to them that isn't their fault... and threatens their career. It makes zero sense for the Flyers to be signing him in season given the log jam we have in goal... but I hope he can sign on somewhere. Maybe get an AHL contract and get in some games in the spring and try to sign on somewhere next year.

Old
10-31-2010, 03:56 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Aye, i know it's all conjecture but i truly don't believe Emery would have made much of a difference. What would have helped would have been the likes of Hartnell or Carter turning up.
Ok?

In the finals: 9 Points, +4 rating.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I am pulling so hard for this guy, just when it seemed he was ready to take the next step as a person and realize his full potential as a player he is dealt this kind of blow. It's a deep hole to climb out of but it sounds like he is ahead of schedule so far.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:19 PM
G28

Emery

Hey guys, great article about Emery on ESPN. tough break for the guy, he could've been that goalie Philly was looking for since Hextall ya know.

I'm pretty sure if Emery is in net last year against the Hawks they win the cup...he brought Ottawa to the cup and they were not has talented as this Philly team

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rre&id=5738598

G28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
montreal managed to get to the net for one game, and they won.
The Flyers just let down. They were gassed after having to sweep Boston and stay alive and just needed a rest night.

And Snider/Luukko wanted it to go 5 games to they could get the extra home gate, which probably accounts for the beer and poutine team lunch that day.....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And Snider/Luukko wanted it to go 5 games to they could get the extra home gate, which probably accounts for the beer and poutine team lunch that day.....
I wonder if Boston thought the same thing.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
leighton didnt face many good offenses in the regular season either, and when he did, he got chased, and boosh took the loss.
Emery was something like 6-9 in the regular season against eventual playoff teams while allowing 4 goals or more 7 times in those 15 games. Leighton on the other hand had a winning record against eventual playoff teams. I'm not a Leighton lover at all but the comments thrown around about Leighton make him seem like he gave up 5 goals a game all year and the Flyers just happened to score 6 until the finals.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'm not a wizard so I can't predict anything.

But if you look at his game log:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.ht...0&view=gamelog

You can see except for 2 games early on he didn't have a game where he gave up more than 3 goals until November 20, while racking up 11 wins in 16 games. And from what I remember he looked great. November 20th is when things start to go nuts, and that's likely when he was playing injured. 5 games in that span until he's announced as injured on December 8. Something was obviously up to just **** the bed that quickly.

Then he comes back and plays great again (except for a game or two) until the big injury.

It's a big "What if?" but there's nothing from not just his stats but from watching him play that made me think he could have gotten the Flyers the Cup last year. But that's personal opinion.
If you notice though, his first 15 games he only faced 4 playoff teams, he then went on to play 7 games in a row against playoff teams before getting hurt and only won 1 game with some bad stats. Again, I'm not a Leighton guy but saying we win the cup with him is a little much, maybe we do but maybe we don't even get there.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
If you notice though, his first 15 games he only faced 4 playoff teams, he then went on to play 7 games in a row against playoff teams before getting hurt and only won 1 game with some bad stats. Again, I'm not a Leighton guy but saying we win the cup with him is a little much, maybe we do but maybe we don't even get there.
He was actually playing hurt during that stretch... as it came out after the fact.

Old
11-06-2010, 10:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...r-islanders-2/

Quote:
When goaltender Ray Emery was told last spring he would need career-ending hip surgery the Flyers figured they’d heard the last of him. Six months later, Emery, 28, is skating again and looking for a team to give him a tryout. “I know he wants to give it a shot,” Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said.

“Whether that’s this year or next year I don’t know.” During Emery’s surgery, doctors grafted bone from his lower leg and inserted it into his hip. “He’s a lot better than everybody thought he was going to be going into the surgery,” Holmgren said. “The fact he is trying to make a comeback is something that, based on what we were told, wasn’t even a possibility. It would be nice for Ray to make it back. I like Ray and I think he played good for us.”

If Emery makes a comeback, it’s a very long shot it will be for the Flyers or one of their affiliates.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:10 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Get rid of leights and boosh and get Ray and keep Bob!

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Get rid of leights and boosh and get Ray and keep Bob!
Look.

I love Rayzor as much as the next guy. In fact, I wish he was never had that illness and that he was still our goalie. We'd be able to protect Bob another year, and Leighton would never have been re-signed.

Still, you do NOT, absolutely do NOT, take this risk on him. I wish him the best of luck, and I really hope someone else takes him. We're not in the position to make that gamble unless he wants to play for the Phantoms until we're comfortable enough to have him split time with Bobrovsky. Even then, Eriksson is on the way in a bit. How long would Emery even want to wait for almost no shot at returning to the starting role here?

I really do wish him the best of luck. I'm sad to say though that he won't get another shot in Philly. Actually, he might, but I'd be extremely surprised; surprised like I'd be surprised if Giroux was traded for Rick DiPietro tomorrow surprised.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:04 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I'd give him an AHL deal beforehand

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:14 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I'd give him an AHL deal beforehand
He has to start somewhere. Unless the flyers really want to keep bob backlund and think he can be an nhl goalie, sign emery to play for the phantoms. Then again you dont need any more players with bad reputations down there. Then go from there. You can never have enough quality nhl goalies.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:35 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Considering how Holmgren predicts injuries. Emery should be playing at an all-star level next year.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote