HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#12: Hurricanes @ Flyers - Monday, Nov. 1, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-02-2010, 01:12 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
So am I the only one who thinks it's awesome that both Roo and Carter are playing well and that we're on a 4 game winning streak?
I am with you

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Meltzer on G

Posted this in the thread about G's contract....

Quote:
The time has come to stop using words like "future star" and "potential" to describe Philadelphia Flyers forward Claude Giroux. The third-year pro has blossomed into a legitimate NHL star. Anyone who thinks that his performance over the first month of the NHL regular season (7 goals, 5 assists and 12 points in his first 12 games) is a fluke hasn't been watching the progression of his career. Even after potting 10 goals and adding 11 helpers in 23 playoff games last year, many pundits continued to focus on other Flyers forwards -- namely Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Danny Briere -- as the fulcrum of Philly's dangerous offensive attack. Giroux was still lumped in with the supporting cast.

A dozen games into the 2010-11 season, there has started to be a shift in people's thinking. Giroux, who scored a powerplay goal in Monday night's 3-2 win over the Carolina Hurricanes, has stepped up to assume a leading role on the club. He has the unique ability to either slow the game down or suddenly speed it up depending on the situation and depending on his read on the play.

He has emerged as one of the most creative players in the NHL, willing to try things in game situations that others would never dare attempt except at the end of practice. Giroux's teammate Ville Leino also possesses some of these traits and ex-Flyer Peter Forsberg was off the charts with these abilities, except that he also had muscular strength and killer instinct that made him the single most dangerous player in the world until his foot problems became the bane of his career.

http://www.versus.com/blogs/the-dail...er-a-surprise/

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:24 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Im sure we can fit Giroux and Carter so its irrelevant .

You trade Carle and you can make it happen most likely

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Talbetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I am with you
Agreed. I love Woof and Bennysflyers16 even though there isnt a game tonight.

Roo is a mini Forsberg. Been saying it since day one. He is one of the most creative Flyer's that I have ever seen (besides Forsberg) and it will only get better!!!

Last edited by Talbetts: 11-02-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

Not irrelevent when you have the x factor to consider...Paul Holmgren

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:12 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Yeah, thankfully I'm pretty sure the Organization isn't going to ever let Giroux go.

The last jersey I bought was the Forsberg one... Maybe its time for the new one.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:15 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:

Why trade Carle...with the emergance of Meszaros, I think Timmonen becomes more expendable. Carle has looked great this season and is younger...I think it would be foolish to trade him.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:17 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemen View Post
Why trade Carle...with the emergance of Meszaros, I think Timmonen becomes more expendable. Carle has looked great this season and is younger...I think it would be foolish to trade him.
1. Timonen has a NMC
2. Timonen is super awesome
3. Timonen is a leader on this team

Old
11-02-2010, 03:24 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

someone else mentioned it's highly unlikely that roo will maintain his shot percentage...while I agree, in the playoffs last year he had a 22.1 S% over 23 games. It's unlikely he'll continue to shoot this high over his career, i think it shows that Roo is just a high percentage shooter and only shoots when he knows he has a high chance of scoring because he knows(hockey sense) he doesn't have that overpowering shot.

Last edited by 4thline4life: 11-02-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old
11-02-2010, 03:29 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
1. Timonen has a NMC
2. Timonen is super awesome
3. Timonen is a leader on this team
oh i agree he's super awesome and is my favorite defenseman on the team...the dude does it all. also did not know that T has a NMC.(should of figured though) But I also don't think getting rid of Carle would be a great move either as he's only 26. it would be a mistake to trade him for cap space.(i think a good prospect and a pick should be necessary to acquire him) It will be interesting to see what holmgren does.

Old
11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
HoverCarle*

We wont be able to afford to keep all 3 of Coburen/Carle/Meszaros, and out of those I would most rather trade Carle.

And I dont mean trade him for Walker and a 4th, I mean trade him for fair value

Old
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Posted this in the thread about G's contract....
I think Meltzer loses some points there for calling Peter Forsberg the most dangerous player in the world for a couple years, maybe it's just me, but I'd like my most dangerous player in the world to score more than 30 goals and play more than 2 seasons in a row without getting hurt.

I always make fun of other fanbases for overrating our their players, but now we have Flyers fans comparing Giroux to Ovechkin and then attacking other fans who question the comparison while constantly bashing the only guy on the roster who's scored 40 goals.

Seriously, get a ****ing grip, the guy is shooting at 26%, you think that is remotely sustainable when he scores a fairly significant percent of his goals on a breakaways and 1 v 1 situations?

I mean, I came into this thread to eat a helping of crow regarding Giroux because he's progressed a bit faster than I thought and I run into people comparing him to somebody who's probably going to top 700 goals.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:35 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Wtf is up with these guys wanting to trade Timonen suddenly? Are we just looking at his date of birth or is there some other statistic we're basing this off? It sure as hell can't be his play so far this season.

As for the whole Giroux thing... it's pretty ridiculous, really. Can he score 40 goals a season? Yeah, sure he could do that. Will he? I doubt it. If he scores around 25 goals a season I'll be thrilled.

A discussion about a player who has a career high so far of 47 pts, where the guy comparing him to Scott Gomez as far as production is seen as too negative... I don't know what to call that. Will Giroux get more than 47 points this year? Yeah, and he should too, he should be progressing, but let's give it a little more than one month before we call it a season though.

I also don't quite get the fascination with some of you to constantly put two players against each other. "If you like Giroux, you can't like Carter", or JvR or whoever. Sounds like you're still in the 6th grade really. Just be glad that we have a core of great, young, forwards who we should be able to keep for years to come.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:50 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Wtf is up with these guys wanting to trade Timonen suddenly? Are we just looking at his date of birth or is there some other statistic we're basing this off? It sure as hell can't be his play so far this season.
It's probably that $6.33mil cap-hit of his.
I said this a few days ago, I love Kimo and would like him to play the rest of his career in Philly, but from an organizational standpoint it would make the most sense to move him instead of one of the young guys.
The critical part is that, if he gets moved he probably will return a Gagne-esque return.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:54 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I said this a few days ago, I love Kimo and would like him to play the rest of his career in Philly, but from an organizational standpoint it would make the most sense to move him instead of one of the young guys.
The critical part is that, if he gets moved he probably will return a Gagne-esque return.
Not really seeing as this team ultimately goes as Pronger goes (our 4 game win streak has coincided with his return to form interestingly enough) and Pronger doesn't have a ton of gas left in the tank.

Old
11-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post

As for the whole Giroux thing... it's pretty ridiculous, really. Can he score 40 goals a season? Yeah, sure he could do that. Will he? I doubt it. If he scores around 25 goals a season I'll be thrilled.

A discussion about a player who has a career high so far of 47 pts, where the guy comparing him to Scott Gomez as far as production is seen as too negative... I don't know what to call that. Will Giroux get more than 47 points this year? Yeah, and he should too, he should be progressing, but let's give it a little more than one month before we call it a season though.

I also don't quite get the fascination with some of you to constantly put two players against each other. "If you like Giroux, you can't like Carter", or JvR or whoever. Sounds like you're still in the 6th grade really. Just be glad that we have a core of great, young, forwards who we should be able to keep for years to come.
Excellent post, but I'm pretty sure the reaction by some of the posters is going be something along the lines of blocking their ears and saying "Can't hear you!" over and over again.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:17 PM
FlyHigh

Yeah, mirimon hit the nail on the head, we've all become Giroux-bashers because we've said he's not Ovechkin.

I mean, first it was Carter/Richards, now it's moving towards Giroux/Carter.

Old
11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
An overpaid and injured #6-7 defenseman and a 4th rounder?

Look, if we're convinced that Coburn, Meszaros and Carle are ready to, not just log top 4 minutes, but to actually be the go-to-guys during those minutes, then by all means trade Timonen. I still see far too many mistakes from (especially one of) these for that to seem like a good idea to me though.

Meanwhile Timonen's been our best defender in pretty much every game so far, blocking shots (not to mention shooting lanes) like a madman.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
someone else mentioned it's highly unlikely that roo will maintain his shot percentage...while I agree, in the playoffs last year he had a 22.1 S% over 23 games. It's unlikely he'll continue to shoot this high over his career, i think it shows that Roo is just a high percentage shooter and only shoots when he knows he has a high chance of scoring because he knows(hockey sense) he doesn't have that overpowering shot.
This may be the best post I've read regarding Giroux.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Miss Mess

Am I the only person who starts to feel uneasy when they see the words "trade" and "timonen" in the same sentence?!

Good game last night! Bob, Giroux and Wellwood impressed me alot.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:42 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
Am I the only person who starts to feel uneasy when they see the words "trade" and "timonen" in the same sentence?!

Good game last night! Bob, Giroux and Wellwood impressed me alot.
I said before that I think this would be one of the Flyers' biggest mistakes if they did do it. Having 1 #1 d-man has never worked out for this team and never will.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
It's been one nice month after a couple rocky years. I expected him to have a nice year with us, but let's not pencil him in to replace Timonen just yet. Kimmo is the man, none of the young guys have shown the ability to do what he does every night for a full season yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
No. Kimmo should play out his contract here, and most likely retire to Finland after that.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:06 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, because that's what I said, right?

Are people here capable of critical thinking? I was demonstrating a point. Someone asked how using the word "idiot" was justified and I explained why. The point is that expecting Giroux to score 40 goals is unrealistic even if it is possible, just like how Jon Sim scoring a 100 points or getting struck by lightning is possible but still unrealistic to the point that I'll call people idiots for telling me otherwise.
It's not exactly what you said, but your demonstration is horrible. I think you're the one who fails to understand critical thinking, because your hyperbole was completely ridiculous. When making persuasive arguments, it behooves you to use a realistic or at least somewhat analogous comparison to prove a point, or you just look stupid.

But you probably knew that already, 'cause you're on top of your critical reasoning skills, right?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:09 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I said before that I think this would be one of the Flyers' biggest mistakes if they did do it. Having 1 #1 d-man has never worked out for this team and never will.
I'm with you. I've been saying for awhile that trading Timonen is an awful idea. He's possibly our most solid defender (yes, even above Pronger). He's the glue that holds it all together; take him out and you no longer have a guy you can throw out and know he won't get burned, and you don't have the option to put him and Pronger out together in a critical situation and know you have it locked down.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Mosetter27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Yeah, thankfully I'm pretty sure the Organization isn't going to ever let Giroux go.

The last jersey I bought was the Forsberg one... Maybe its time for the new one.
HOLY CRUD!! FORSBERG WAS YOUR LAST JERSEY!!! GET A NEW ONE STAT!!! lol

i just bought 5 jerseys this week/weekend alone!

Zherdev white, Briere white SCF, Leinio white SCF, Hartnell white SCF, Laperiere(sp?) white SCF...

i plan on picking up an Emery black, Carter white SCF, Meszaros white, Betts whtie SCF, Powe white SCF, vanRiemsdyk white SCF, Bobrovsky white, O'Donell white,

white = flyers new white winter classic jersey "revised"
white SCF = old white style that was used in SCF
Black = duh! black jersey used last year..

i have over 200 jerseys and don't plan on stopping anytime soon

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote